OFFICIAL AIR FORCE ONE THREAD!!!!!

I mean, I don’t want all that silver nonsense, but I suppose if one does, it softens the 400.

I still think they could have done a more design orientated release. It’s clear this didn’t really involve their design team.

Comments in that thread are interesting: cool to see Tiffany fans coming at this from a completely different direction.

I liked it better when smaller-scale companies like supreme, stussy, diamond supply, etc. were ripping off brands like Gucci, Louis, Tiffany, etc. I know this is straight up nike and no other brand coming into the mix, so it's a little different than the diamond supply collab. But this collab with tiffany sucks IMO. Sportswear/streetwear collabs with luxury houses just feel like cultural appropriation to me lol - taking our sneaker/streetwear culture and bringing it to the rich vultures

Shoutout to this legend though I hope he gets a pair
gfdv0dnaibwb0ldohj7f.jpg

I never thought about it from that perspective but I did enjoy the homage to the luxury houses much more than the actual collabs.

It's cool to see what street wear has grown into and it's forced acceptance into mainstream America however the underground / cool element is definitely lacking with some of these collabs.

All accessories sold separately
Wait, they plan on selling the extra laces / dubrae? The toothbrush?!

Silver cost $23 an ounce, soften the blow my ***.
Man, this is the wrong hobby if you want low mark-ups on material cost.

More seriously, my point wasn’t that there was $200 worth of silver. My point was there was $200 worth of Tiffany &. Co trinkets if you were the kind of person that liked their trinkets.

But that all seems besides the point.
It's cool to see what street wear has grown into and it's forced acceptance into mainstream America however the underground / cool element is definitely lacking with some of these collabs.

Not trying to pick in you because I see this sentiment a lot. It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around Nike being some kind of underground brand.

Like, I get that the streetwear scene re-imagined what Beaverton was putting out, but from the very start Nike was their to capitalize and market to the “underground”

Not trying to pick in you because I see this sentiment a lot. It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around Nike being some kind of underground brand.

Like, I get that the streetwear scene re-imagined what Beaverton was putting out, but from the very start Nike was their to capitalize and market to the “underground”
I see your point about Nike but Nike SB was definitely more of an underground scene. Hell sneaker collecting in masse wasn't nearly as mainstream even in the mid 2000s.

The brands that Nike specifically Nike Sb chose to Collab with were still up and coming during that era. Most people weren't super hip to Diamond, Stussy, HUF etc back then.

The collabs were mutually beneficial to both Nike and those streetwear brands.

Crazy how you add a whistle and a dubrae and now all of the sudden "oh nah now I really like these" anywayzzz knowing Tiffany (and Nike) I highly doubt that whistle is included with the kicks and wouldn't be surprised if it cost damn near the same as the sneakers .....

Tiffs are dope. Nice and simple, which is what everyone asks for. That said, I don’t have much of a desire to own em.

I see your point about Nike but Nike SB was definitely more of an underground scene. Hell sneaker collecting in masse wasn't nearly as mainstream even in the mid 2000s.

The brands that Nike specifically Nike Sb chose to Collab with were still up and coming during that era. Most people weren't super hip to Diamond, Stussy, HUF etc back then.

Thanks for clarifying. That definitely makes more sense than how I was thinking about it. Basically: SB acted a bit like an incubator for these brands.

Only thing I’d object to is the idea of Stussy as an underground brand in the mid 00’s. Dudes were rocking that gear (with Vision and Airwalks) when I started in high school in ‘90. I’ll take you word on Diamond and HUF since I’m only barely aware of their existence.

crazy to think that tiffany used to get the dunk auctions pulled if it used tiffany in the title.

they should have at least done a white midsole on these.

Thanks for clarifying. That definitely makes more sense than how I was thinking about it. Basically: SB acted a bit like an incubator for these brands.

Only thing I’d object to is the idea of Stussy as an underground brand in the mid 00’s. Dudes were rocking that gear (with Vision and Airwalks) when I started in high school in ‘90. I’ll take you word on Diamond and HUF since I’m only barely aware of their existence.
Stussy is interesting, it predates most of the more well known streetwear brands of today and although it deserves it's acknowledgement one could argue it's never hit the same level of hype as other brands that have since come and gone.

The hundreds was huge for a while and likely more recognizable than Stussy. Unfortunately that era has since passed and The Hundreds is no longer. Stussy didn't grow too big too fast and imo it has only added to it's longevity. Stussy has the collabs, the history and lineage to be mentioned in the same sentence as brands like Supreme but it hasn't had the same level of hype for their core brand.

As for Nike and the early days of Nike SB yeah incubator is a great way to think of it.

Thought the swoosh looked removable or swappable or some dumb **** in one of the pics I dunno I have ol boy blocked so I don't see every insta pic

For sure. Stussy was already kind of popular, at least in So Cal even in 1990… They had actually opened their own store here in Tokyo in 1989 (really tiny store, but it was the first Stussy only store in the world located just 10 min away from my house) and I bought some shorts there.

In 1990, I went to high school in San Diego as an exchange student and on the first day of the school, few schoolmates saw me wearing Stussy shorts and had started talking to me “Yo, you wearing Stussy?? I am too!! Are they big in Japan?!” or something like that and that was how I made my first friends in school.

Told my host parents (around 50 at that time) about that incident on that evening and was further surprised that they even knew what Stussy is and told me that they can drop me off at Nordstrom during the weekend if want to copp some more Stussy items… I was like “What?? U mean what looks like a department store carry Stussy in US??”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom