Official Air Jordan 1 Retro Low OG Thread

Nah the toe box is very different. Not quite as obvious from this side view but top down is night and day.
The vamp on the new pairs is slightly longer, that’s about it. The reason is because they basically used the AJ1 low SB mold from the Eric Koston collab pack a few years ago which came with a longer toe box vamp. Other than that, the shape is the same. Overall I prefer the ‘15 shape. The only issue with those were the materials. Everything else about them was/is fine. ‘15 low Chicagos, neutral grey and white metallic red/blues actually did have good materials iirc. Breds, Royals and shadows toe box leather is was basically made out of plastic. Still wear mine though.

Love my 15s
IMG_4364.jpeg

I’ve seen complaints about the swoosh size for years but this is first time I seen complaints about the shape on AJ1 OG lows lol. That’s never been an issue with the ‘15 and beyond pairs.
That’s what I’m saying. Where are all the good lows at? They never existed. Dudes can prop up the 15’s but the truth is there’s only two retros with a good shape and they both came out in the past quarter. 38 years without a good shape and now the complaints are rolling in ? 😂

That’s what I’m saying. Where are all the good lows at? They never existed. Dudes can prop up the 15’s but the truth is there’s only two retros with a good shape and they both came out in the past quarter. 38 years without a good shape and now the complaints are rolling in ? 😂
There's been complaints since the '21 NG, it's just being more vocalized as more people are catching on to the details. Hell I see the 15 lows being more prevalent on my IG explore page, kinda wild how they're just getting in the lime light to the masses.

Call it being picky, but there's a reason why some of us are so keen to the details of certain cuts and getting it right because at the end of the day that's what makes it look great. It was always ingrained in our heads as the sleeker dunk/AF1 silhouette, but the more they strayed away from that look, the more it started to look like something else :lol:.

15 gets it's praises cuz during the time they were remastering things, the brand definitely attempted to nail down those details. Then it dipped, but back again and closer than before with the 85. Mix it all up by preserving these different models/SKUs with price tag hierarchy, then you get us picky buyers being vocal :lol:

There's been complaints since the '21 NG, it's just being more vocalized as more people are catching on to the details. Hell I see the 15 lows being more prevalent on my IG explore page, kinda wild how they're just getting in the lime light to the masses.

Call it being picky, but there's a reason why some of us are so keen to the details of certain cuts and getting it right because at the end of the day that's what makes it look great. It was always ingrained in our heads as the sleeker dunk/AF1 silhouette, but the more they strayed away from that look, the more it started to look like something else :lol:.

15 gets it's praises cuz during the time they were remastering things, the brand definitely attempted to nail down those details. Then it dipped, but back again and closer than before with the 85. Mix it all up by preserving these different models/SKUs with price tag hierarchy, then you get us picky buyers being vocal :lol:
My point isn’t that they shouldn’t get the details right, it’s that there was never a good retro 1 low mold. The 2015 is the best we got and the materials are garbage.

Just like dudes coming around to the reality there was 24 years of crap IVs they could throw out the window if they wanted a decent, comfortable shoe with a closer OG shape.

We’re splitting hairs on OG lows from 2015 vs now. The shape isn’t good, the materials aren’t excellent. So right now you’ve got 2 CWs available and 2 more if we have this discussion a year from now that meet any shape or quality standard.

They aren’t going to stop using an inferior mold at this point and they aren’t going to switch to the 85’s being the dominant version because they clearly want a premium offering.

On top of that this was clearly planned at least 4 years ago and just starting to hit the market so I can’t see anything with the low line changing in a major way for several years. A few 85’s but mostly an inferior version whose shape ain’t getting better.

Other than the swoosh, which looks absolutely awful on the newer pairs, the overall shape is the same. Even the toe. Royals from 2016

F7F808CD-2F1B-4BAB-86F4-A936483FEBE6.jpeg

Nah the toe box is very different. Not quite as obvious from this side view but top down is night and day.

Toeboxes are absolutely different. Heel is higher. There's plenty of differences.

The newer ones also wear better than the 2015 mold IMO. The shoe breaks in more naturally at least. They aren’t as comfortable as the 85’s but there’s nothing correct about the 2015 shape when you compare it to the 85’s or how they fit either. I thought that was common knowledge after they came out. It’s why I sold all but the breds of my OG cws

My point isn’t that they shouldn’t get the details right, it’s that there was never a good retro 1 low mold. The 2015 is the best we got and the materials are garbage.

Just like dudes coming around to the reality there was 24 years of crap IVs they could throw out the window if they wanted a decent, comfortable shoe with a closer OG shape.

We’re splitting hairs on OG lows from 2015 vs now. The shape isn’t good, the materials aren’t excellent. So right now you’ve got 2 CWs available and 2 more if we have this discussion a year from now that meet any shape or quality standard.

They aren’t going to stop using an inferior mold at this point and they aren’t going to switch to the 85’s being the dominant version because they clearly want a premium offering.

On top of that this was clearly planned at least 4 years ago and just starting to hit the market so I can’t see anything with the low line changing in a major way for several years. A few 85’s but mostly an inferior version whose shape ain’t getting better.
But that is the issue, it isn't splitting hairs if it's a different shoe from 2015 to 2021. A total switcharoo in the dark; they pushed the actual model us buyers adored to overhyped trav releases, and spun out these keto swooshed, 7-holed monstrosities.

I’ve seen complaints about the swoosh size for years but this is first time I seen complaints about the shape on AJ1 OG lows lol. That’s never been an issue with the ‘15 and beyond pairs.
I’m just gonna skip over the shape talk from now on. It’s redundant and most of time subjective

Not my pair but these look way better when compared to the NDC pictures. Can’t wait for my pair tomorrow
IMG_5100.jpeg
IMG_5099.jpeg

But that is the issue, it isn't splitting hairs if it's a different shoe from 2015 to 2021. A total switcharoo in the dark; they pushed the actual model us buyers adored to overhyped trav releases, and spun out these keto swooshed, 7-holed monstrosities.
I’m saying the 2015 shoe was never good. It’s different now, trade offs for better quality and more natural feeling materials vs the boxier shape and swoosh. All I’m saying is it’s clear they made the change to mirror the og high vs 85 line more closely. Expecting the og low to find a really good shape in the future is a pipe dream.

The funniest part is the only way to actually tell the brand to stop making the og low would be to leave their retailers completely stuck with them. Instead guys cop for 100 bucks and it’s a wash for everyone involved.

I’m saying the 2015 shoe was never good. It’s different now, trade offs for better quality and more natural feeling materials vs the boxier shape and swoosh. All I’m saying is it’s clear they made the change to mirror the og high vs 85 line more closely. Expecting the og low to find a really good shape in the future is a pipe dream.

The funniest part is the only way to actually tell the brand to stop making the og low would be to leave their retailers completely stuck with them. Instead guys cop for 100 bucks and it’s a wash for everyone involved.
I can respect your first part aha, but everything else I totally agree. I think their lanes are set from here on out until the supply and demand shifts.

I can respect your first part aha, but everything else I totally agree. I think their lanes are set from here on out until the supply and demand shifts.
Would you at least agree when the 15 lows came out everyone begrudgingly purchased because we'd just got SBB's and Chicagos and were looking at cheap polyurethane coated leather that wears like cardboard? I thought it was pretty universally accepted those were nice to have cause we'd never had them with NA, but complete trash compared to the highs.

Also a noticeable size difference. But keep going 😂

There can be a size difference and still have differences in the cut. The cut of the ankle/heel is different, and the toe rand is cut completely different. You can say it's just millimeters or whatever, but it absolutely makes a difference. Like someone else said earlier, it's incredibly noticeable from the top down view.

Would you at least agree when the 15 lows came out everyone begrudgingly purchased because we'd just got SBB's and Chicagos and were looking at cheap polyurethane coated leather that wears like cardboard? I thought it was pretty universally accepted those were nice to have cause we'd never had them with NA, but complete trash compared to the highs.
I wasn’t so on the nose on releases that time cuz of college, I was definitely frugal back then. But I did cop the Blk and reds lows first thing that morning on release, even copped royals lows pre release price cuz I fell in love with the model. It was a plus cuz no one was messing with the lows at the time

I’d say definitely hard to break in, but that type of leather goes a long way. Unlike the soft leather used on the initial run of OG highs 15-17, or any of the 85 lows. Because they’re so soft, they won’t stand long/ constant wears over time. Something I’d say they got right with the 15 OG lows when it came to emulating actual OG materials.

I still wear the holy trinity lows + Chicagos lows til this day since they’re broken into my gait.

If they had just kept that mold and started using materials that are on par with what we get on a standard aj1 high og most people would’ve been satisfied. I agree that the materials were utter garbage for most of those og lows that released during that era.

It’s basically a moot point now that we have the 85s but we’re likely to continue to se 10-20 og low cws for every 85 that drops. That’s what bothers me the most. I’d still probably pick up pairs of the 2015 mold with decent materials/cw but that’s not an option.

If they had just kept that mold and started using materials that are on par with what we get on a standard aj1 high og most people would’ve been satisfied. I agree that the materials were utter garbage for most of those og lows that released during that era.

It’s basically a moot point now that we have the 85s but we’re likely to continue to se 10-20 og low cws for every 85 that drops. That’s what bothers me the most. I’d still probably pick up pairs of the 2015 mold with decent materials/cw but that’s not an option.
Yeah that’s a fair take. I certainly would have been open minded to that last with better materials. Guess we’ll never know. Or TS’s are as close as it got?

I can’t get over how stiff and uncomfortable the 2015 pairs were and I attribute part of that to the fit with that boxier shape so I’m not sold I would be all about that mold with current materials.

There can be a size difference and still have differences in the cut. The cut of the ankle/heel is different, and the toe rand is cut completely different. You can say it's just millimeters or whatever, but it absolutely makes a difference. Like someone else said earlier, it's incredibly noticeable from the top down view.
IMG_5103.gif

These fools actually took a shot by dubbing the Trophy Room 1 Low as Backdoor 1 Low. 😆

But that seems to be legitimate. It's like you have to know Marcus Jordan to get anything that has a Trophy Room tie to it. Otherwise, you're assed out. 🙄

Back
Top Bottom