Official Air Max 97 Thread

amjapan.jpg

As dragicon said Women Neon are very comfortable, I was surprised how a woman pair could be so comfy ( also have 2 women pairs of 95, not bad but not like that...) and the colorway is perfect because of the tribute, but not only: no d#+* white midsole !

I'm beginning to think that those women's, since they aren't an OG colorway, have a phylon midsole. The midsole is physically more squishy than the SB/AB/golds when you push on them with your finger. I don't have a 97 such as the undefeateds that are a confirmed phylon to compare to though.

Reactions: PJS
Got my silver bullets in yesterday. Straight to feet today. Definitely TTS for me, not sure why people are saying otherwise. I have been using Jason Markk Repel on mostly all of my runners, but has anyone used it on these? I'm afraid it will **** up the silver finish or 3M. The shoe is almost waterproof, just want to get those mesh bits.

Got my silver bullets in yesterday. Straight to feet today. Definitely TTS for me, not sure why people are saying otherwise. I have been using Jason Markk Repel on mostly all of my runners, but has anyone used it on these? I'm afraid it will **** up the silver finish or 3M. The shoe is almost waterproof, just want to get those mesh bits.

I dont use jason markk, just regular shoe protector and they work just fine on them. No issues on the silver parts

I’m 210-220 lbs.

Air Max 95 is very hard. Heel no deflection. Harder than Air Jordan 4s

Air Max 97 is mediocre. Put weight on one heel, one side, it deflects .
F48B7EF2-7CD6-4DDA-A55D-977A59742A23.jpeg

But if I put weight flat on heel, there is deflection but not much.
3A10FB54-0616-426C-954C-031F944EF130.jpeg

97upper TN midsole hybrid, seemed to be softer.
Put weight on normal side heel, it compresses a lot. Look at that foam crease. GOOD.
20E88880-5775-4C1F-840C-C5E3BFA199D7.png
Put weight on Tuned side heel, compresses like regular AM97.
2CDDB9D0-876C-4595-85F8-D1D7D4ED981D.png
Normal walking in 97TN, I feel tuned side does not compress. Other places compress 5%.

Nothing compresses and feel soft like Nike Zoom All Out. That feels coilsprings under you foot.

If given scores by softness
Zoom All Out softness is 90
97TN is 50
AM97 is 35
AM95 (2016) is 20 or less

Thank you for putting this together! It's a damn shame Nike over pressurizes these awesome shoes. Would love to hear what they have to say as far as a reason....SMH. Might have to pick up some zoom all outs, though they're a pretty ordinary looking shoe, and aside from the full length zoom air, they wouldn't really interest me from a design perspective....oh well.

I used repel on my pair. It didnt do anything to them

Thank you for putting this together! It's a damn shame Nike over pressurizes these awesome shoes. Would love to hear what they have to say as far as a reason....SMH. Might have to pick up some zoom all outs, though they're a pretty ordinary looking shoe, and aside from the full length zoom air, they wouldn't really interest me from a design perspective....oh well.

They don’t ‘over pressurise” them. You don’t walk on air. You walk on the plastic pillars within the airbag.

We haven’t walked on air since about 03/05.

They don’t ‘over pressurise” them. You don’t walk on air. You walk on the plastic pillars within the airbag.

We haven’t walked on air since about 03/05.

Not sure what you mean. If you were to puncture the air bag, walking would almost completely compress the entire unit as far as the pillars will allow. Without the air pressure, the pillars aren't stiff enough to maintain the stiffness that we feel when the unit is full of air. They add stability to the air unit, and certainly some resistance, however, the air is definitely an important part of the cushioning and affects whether it's harder or softer. Some shoes on ID even allow you to select between a stiffer ride and softer ride via the air pressure they use.

What are you saying happened in 03/05? In 2006 I had a pair of Air Max 2003 IDs with the same 97 air unit. After about 5 years one of the air units deflated and that whole part of the shoe compressed/collapsed even when not wearing them.

Not sure what you mean. If you were to puncture the air bag, walking would almost completely compress the entire unit as far as the pillars will allow. Without the air pressure, the pillars aren't stiff enough to maintain the stiffness that we feel when the unit is full of air. They add stability to the air unit, and certainly some resistance, however, the air is definitely an important part of the cushioning and affects whether it's harder or softer. Some shoes on ID even allow you to select between a stiffer ride and softer ride via the air pressure they use.

What are you saying happened in 03/05? In 2006 I had a pair of Air Max 2003 IDs with the same 97 air unit. After about 5 years one of the air units deflated and that whole part of the shoe compressed/collapsed even when not wearing them.
You answered your own question there. The 97 airbag in 03 isn’t the same as the one produced now. Substantially thinner. Your now walk-in in the central pillars with ‘air’ only providing SOME lateral roll cushioning. You could pop the bags on a 2017 pair and still walk on them. Would you notice, yep, but compared to deflating an OG pair there’s a massive difference. Beyond this take that info and apply it to 95s, pop any of the bags on an 03 pair and your shoe was ruined. You can pop a bag on this years model and walk around and hardly tell that you did.

Honestly thats probably the best natural looking fit ive ever seen kd wear

He wear flannel shirt sometimes that looks great.

Not like those gangstaz out there, they just want to show people they are gangstaz.

You answered your own question there. The 97 airbag in 03 isn’t the same as the one produced now. Substantially thinner. Your now walk-in in the central pillars with ‘air’ only providing SOME lateral roll cushioning. You could pop the bags on a 2017 pair and still walk on them. Would you notice, yep, but compared to deflating an OG pair there’s a massive difference. Beyond this take that info and apply it to 95s, pop any of the bags on an 03 pair and your shoe was ruined. You can pop a bag on this years model and walk around and hardly tell that you did.

French! Drake! Pop that airbag b****

For AM95 I assume I’m walking on polyurethane/plastic pillar not air. AM95 has too much structure. That sucks

For AM97 not sure, perhaps 80% polyurethane pillar 20% Air.
Airbag take my pressure but most weight taken by polyurethane structures.

For 97TN, maybe 30% Air, 70% polyurethane pillar

Intentionally compress airbag by finger, 97TN airbag is softer than AM97 airbag. Pressure might differ too.

Last edited:

My 2003s were retro IDs manufactured and purchased in 2006. I think you're referring to Nike moving to blow mold technology that allowed them to retain the shape of the air bubble and fill it with air, rather than previously when it was essentially a balloon that inflated when filled. I don't believe that added much compression strength; just shape/structure for easier manufacturing and assembly.

Would love to see one of these recent retros with a popped air bag; I have a hard time believing the deflation would be hardly noticeable. I'm certainly not going to test it!

I've got Jordan 11s that are pretty cushy, while others that are super hard, and the insole can't account for the difference. With shoes with visible air, I can put my finger in some and see and feel it compressing, while others hardly do (ex. an AM1 from 2014 that are basically bricks, while my Air Trainer 3s with a much smaller bubble compress a lot). I'm sticking with my PSI theory until I can see a video of popped air bags....heh ;-).

Anyway, regardless of why, I wish they would make them more cushy....they certainly look like they should be so plush! Thanks for the dialog!

Am 95 you’re walking on 95% cement 5% cast iron.

That's hilarious! I have noticed that my '95 Neos seem to be getting softer the more I've worn them recently. Maybe the PU is wearing in....That generation of air bag (prior to full length air) definitely has a lot more structure. My beater AM2012 are super worn in and very cushy; air bag compression is awesome.

Am 95 you’re walking on 95% cement 5% cast iron.
Pretty much for the heel

But can’t deny AM95 forefoot Air helped my knees a little bit when I do jump shots.

Now I do have better shoes, Zoom All outs.

Well just when can we get this much squishyness?
838672F8-2209-430F-ABDB-27C9DEED84FD.jpeg
Isn’t this the reason why AirMax was created?

So the more you wear the softer it will become?

My Jordan 3,4,5s with visible air midsole are stiff. During my childhood I believed those polyurethane midsole make you spring like Jordan.

I had one version AF-1 that was soft, even the outsole shell is soft. AF-1 has full length regular airbag.

I always advise anyone who wants to feel real air to find a wearable pair of 03 95s and feel the difference.

Like going from a Fiat to a Ferrari.

Back
Top Bottom