Official District 9 Movie Post

Originally Posted by CE0 Mal

They explained his son? I must have missed that....what was it again?

When they first came to Christopher's home, Wikus threatened to take his son.

Wikus - "Is this your boy?"
Christopher - "Yes, that's my child."
Wikus - "You see these living conditions, this isn't suitable for a child. I will take your boy if you don't sign this eviction notice."
Christopher - "He's my son, you will not take my son."

And it's also mentioned multiple times by Wikus.
No, I got that...but there was no mention of a mother or anything along those lines...who knows if Christopher just took the boy in when he wasyounger? This is the only father or "father figure" that the boy had known...of course I'm just speculating, but it wasn't explained that itwas his ACTUAL child...I dunno if it makes sense, and I think I'm looking more into it than I should LOL....

Originally Posted by Korean Dave

aveezytheBEAST wrote:
Movie was sick. But how was it that we could understand wat the prawns was saying??
I just figured that in 20 yrs of them being on Earth, that it was just another language....like being bilingual. It did seem as though EVERYONE understood them though.
My friend insisted it was Rosetta Stone
laugh.gif

i was surprised by this movie. not really thought provoking because the underlying symbolism was apparent. i expected it to be an aliens revolt to take overthe world type thing. i was suspicious of Chris throughout, and probably still am. I read that they were too tired and malnourished to mount an attack. Somaybe Chris is going to re-up and come back to take over the world? i dont trust no prawns...

apparently the main character improved 90% of his lines. which explains why he was comedic at parts and used the f-word alot.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Wikus - "You see these living conditions, this isn't suitable for a child. I will take your boy if you don't sign this eviction notice."

No, I got that...but there was no mention of a mother or anything along those lines...who knows if Christopher just took the boy in when he was younger? This is the only father or "father figure" that the boy had known...of course I'm just speculating, but it wasn't explained that it was his ACTUAL child...I dunno if it makes sense, and I think I'm looking more into it than I should LOL....

I guess you missed the part where they found the eggs and burned them also. The Prawns were asexual, meaning no mothers. This is also explained onone of the videos on the district 9 site.

If this man Vikus knew how to operate that suit properly... he coulda just stopped all them bullets w/ that magnetic defender thing that the suit used on theNigerians. Movie was crazy, I assume there will probably be a sequel.

No, I got that...but there was no mention of a mother or anything along those lines...who knows if Christopher just took the boy in when he was younger? This is the only father or "father figure" that the boy had known...of course I'm just speculating, but it wasn't explained that it was his ACTUAL child...I dunno if it makes sense, and I think I'm looking more into it than I should LOL....

DoubleJs, I like your theory. That adds just another wrinkle in the plot. BUT,

Spoiler [+]
I feel like Christopher was never a human at some point simply because of the emotional ties he had to the other aliens, or his people as he referred to them.
When he and Wikus broke into the MNU headquarters and Chris saw the alien, who had been experimented on, he couldn't move, but rather was in a shocked
state of what the humans were doing to his people. Considering the angst and overall sentiment towards the aliens from the humans, I don't see an alien, who
was once human sharing the same compassion for aliens as a "natural born" alien. Instead of saving "his people", his priority would most likely have been to transform
himself back to human and get the hell out of the situation he was presently in similar to Wikus.

I feel like Christopher was never a human at some point simply because of the emotional ties he had to the other aliens, or his people as he referred to them.
When he and Wikus broke into the MNU headquarters and Chris saw the alien, who had been experimented on, he couldn't move, but rather was in a shocked
state of what the humans were doing to his people. Considering the angst and overall sentiment towards the aliens from the humans, I don't see an alien, who
was once human sharing the same compassion for aliens as a "natural born" alien. Instead of saving "his people", his priority would most likely have been to transform
himself back to human and get the hell out of the situation he was presently in similar to Wikus.

It was never implied that Christopher was human to begin with. He was born a Prawn...

It was never implied that Christopher was human to begin with. He was born a Prawn...

Spoiler [+]
Well DoubleJs presented the theory of Chris potentially being human first and then turning into a prawn.
I doubt it, but keep in mind there's a couple scenes in the movie that could be evidence for this theory.

Originally Posted by AG 47

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
good call on that scene in MNU headquarters when Christopher froze up....let me ask you (because I couldn't think of any other examples off hand), did any of the other aliens actually bleed when hurt?

Spoiler [+]
Spoiler [+]
good call on that scene in MNU headquarters when Christopher froze up....let me ask you (because I couldn't think of any other examples off hand), did any of the other aliens actually bleed when hurt?

Spoiler [+]
I was thinking the same thing when Christopher was getting hit.

DoubleJs07 wrote:

CE0 Mal wrote:

No, I got that...but there was no mention of a mother or anything along those lines...who knows if Christopher just took the boy in when he was
younger? This is the only father or "father figure" that the boy had known...of course I'm just speculating, but it wasn't explained that
it was his ACTUAL child...I dunno if it makes sense, and I think I'm looking more into it than I should LOL....

Spoiler [+]

I feel like Christopher was never a human at some point simply because of the emotional ties he had to the other aliens, or his people as he referred to
them.

state of what the humans were doing to his people. Considering the angst and overall sentiment towards the aliens from the humans, I don't see an
alien, who

was once human sharing the same compassion for aliens as a "natural born" alien. Instead of saving "his people", his priority would
most likely have been to transform

Spoiler [+]

Spoiler [+]
Bleed? I'm not too sure. I do remember when MNU was experimenting with Wikus and he had to blast that prawn, the prawn did splatter blood everywhere
including Wikus so the prawns for sure bleed red blood like humans. And like my man Arnold said in Predator, "If it bleeds, it can be killed". I'd like to think
all the aliens bleed red blood like humans, not just Chris.

Originally Posted by ericescobar

Originally Posted by bruce negro

Genuinly alien film.

I watched it today. I would nit pay to watch it again. The acting was so hard to believe in. I couldn't lower guard with this movie.

In the not-todistant-future, there are alien-filled slums with their mother ship just parked on top of them. There is this Theme oppresion and hope, but it's weird because the aliens look like bugs (of course) and don't speak English and are pretty strong and have POWERFUL weapons, but cannot get themselves to their mother ship. Hm...

The protagonist was overly emotional and unable to stick to a decision. He's a spazz. I will say I started to care about his alien buddy, but only kind of. I mean he gets pistol whipped by the potag, but then forgives him. Well...

To be fair, the final act was interesting, if only because the weapons had that look them of a videogame. Very Halo-like...

In the end, it is a diffeent movie. It's not as "smart" as so
e have said it is. It's an alien flick with a seldo
-seen creative spin. Rent it.
I have to say that some parts of this movie probably flew STRAIGHT over your head.

The ship couldn't move because the command module was down. The aliens did have DOPE weapons, but were so stupid that when they did use them, they used them to rob banks and derail trains etc etc.

Really take the time to think about this. There are a million, diseased aliens aboard a large ship. Obviously something happened at or near home that made them retreat. Therefore, most alien leaders would still be at home sorting out the situation. So you have one or two guys who actually KNOWS what the hell is going on (The main alien character) and the rest are a bunch of imbeciles. If it was the same situation but the aliens were humans, you think that EVERY human knows how to fly a rocket ship? How to fix one? No. There are some who are butchers, doctors, parents, but just because your race has developed great technology, doesn't mean EVERYONE knows how to use it.

You say the main character was overly emotional? HE'S TURNING INTO A &%$# ALIEN! So you would just be calm and trying to figure out the situation while you have half an alien body and men with guns are trying to find you, while a Nigerian warlord is trying to eat you? Get real, you'd have done the same.

And if you think about this, what's to say that this WOULDN'T happen if aliens landed and were in that situation? You think humans would just let some crazy intelligent space travelers with extremely strong weaponry do whatever they wanted until they could go home? No. Not at all. In fact, this is based off of Cape Town's District 6.... Look it up.

Overall, it's a stunning movie that will really make you think about what humanity's really capable of. I know as an African American this really hit home, because a lot of this is straight out of Jim Crow. Check it out.
Before I say anything, I want to say I respect what you had to say.
You were most clearly right about one thing. I DID miss the excuse for the ship's perpetual parking over the city. I missed that while I was trying (as hard as I could) to convince myself that this was a plausible scenario.

The movie is obviously neither about aliens nor alien-arm fetishes. There is an underlying theme, which you've already pointed out. My beef with the movie (and with critics) is that they tend to be hyperbolic with their critiques, at times, and it's really annoying (to me).

Look, I came in to the theater with an open mind. I paid for the movie and I was going to give it every chance to convince me of it's premise. In the end, I was struggling with myself to find that even ground. I couldn't do it. I couldn't numb my mind long enough for the premise to seem even slightly approachable.

I can easily appreciate what the movie WANTS to say, but what comes out of the screen is kind of unnecessary. How many people are going to the theater thinking "gee, I've always wanted to see a sci-fi analogy of the apartheid!".

See, even if that's what one expected, and sincerely wished, to see, the premise is so irrational and desultory that the hidden theme becomes derelict of the actual plot. There's nothing out here in reality so to make me believe that a circumstance, such as the apartheid, can ever recur with aliens in place of humans.

I just couldn't convince myself this was possible.

As for my actual criticism, I thought the main character (played by a comedian, by the way) was a spazz. I mean, would I be super serious or super distressed? I'm not sure because, again, I have a hard time believing this would happen to me. This guys is making sex jokes, while trying to hide is alien appendage, befriending, and also betraying (only to later re-friend) an alien...He's all over the map! I'm not arguing there is a PERFECT way to play an alien-virus- infected human, but am saying that he was just emotionally convulsive, which he was. I just that he was annoying TO ME.

Also, man, what are aliens doing in this galaxy to begin with? We can make the assumption that something went wrong on their home planet (or that they are nomadic and harvest which ever planet they wish), but why send the "imbeciles"(as you call them) to do the researching? Why send sick people to find a cure? Why not send the most capable aliens to find a cure? Why Earth? There was obviously nothing there for them. If they needed to make a pit stop, they have the moon. Didn't the alien kid mention the moon? Maybe it was all a dumb mistake on the alien's part. Maybe the movie was just an instance of the dumbest luck of the dumbest lucks; and if THAT'S the case, then I REALLY can't bring myself to believe this premise at all.

But that's just me.

I respect your point as well, because they do make some sense. However, are you REALLY ever going to go into a sci-fi movie, or a fantasy movie, and say,"Wow, I can relate to and believe everything that is happening here." No... that's why they're sci-fi and fantasy. Although I doubt we'llsee an alien apartheid anytime soon, the whole point of this movie was to give you a scenario that makes you think. The reason this movie has legitimacy isbecause, if you really think about it, this WOULD happen if aliens of this nature were to come to Earth. Given the circumstances of their landing and stateupon landing, this really seems like the only plausible solution to such a problem.

I'm confused by your criticism of the character though. Are you criticizing how the actor PLAYED the character, or how the writers wrote the character?Because I honestly think the writing was excellent. If my body is starting to change into a foreign creature, nonetheless alien, I would have mixed feelingstowards the aliens and the world in general. You'd most likely blame the aliens for changing you, but then also want them to help you change back. Thenthere is the possibility of developing a relationship with said aliens during an elongated period of coexistence. And also, there was really a defining momentin which the protagonist decided that he wouldn't abandon the alien, meaning that he probably subconsciously held those feelings for the alien, but ittook a near-traumatic event to push those feelings forward. This happens in everyday life.

I also understand your argument about why the aliens would even be here in the first place. Truth be told, I can't just say they had a valid reason, butyou also can't say that there isn't. I can honestly list off three valid reasons right now, but I'm not a writer, so even though I can give a verygood explanation on what could have POSSIBLY transpired, you could also do the same. I WILL say that it could be possibly that there was an evacuation becauseof some military threat (which would explain those stunning weapons), during which, in the ensuing chaos, a part of the ship could have been damaged. In a shipmade by creatures so technologically advanced, how fast and far could this thing go damaged? Again, possibly quite far. Due to this accident, and possiblyalready far away from their own planet or it being too dangerous to go back or stay in the air with their ship damaged, the ship would probably travel to thenearest hospitable planet, which may have been Earth. This is a very questionable theory, but we really can't say what happened because the writers chosenot to tell us. However, I don't believe it's that hard to wrap your head around.

The movie is obviously neither about aliens nor alien-arm fetishes. There is an underlying theme, which you've already pointed out. My beef with the movie (and with critics) is that they tend to be hyperbolic with their critiques, at times, and it's really annoying (to me).

Look, I came in to the theater with an open mind. I paid for the movie and I was going to give it every chance to convince me of it's premise. In the end, I was struggling with myself to find that even ground. I couldn't do it. I couldn't numb my mind long enough for the premise to seem even slightly approachable.

I can easily appreciate what the movie WANTS to say, but what comes out of the screen is kind of unnecessary. How many people are going to the theater thinking "gee, I've always wanted to see a sci-fi analogy of the apartheid!".

actually..

Crave Online: What are you saying with the racial subtext in the film?

Neill Blomkamp: Well, first of all, when I started making the film, when we started conceiving the very idea of how District 9 would grow out of Joburg, I think for the first few months I was thinking of a film that probably was too serious and took itself too seriously. It had some of my thinking with those topics. There was too much of me in it. I pretty quickly started realizing that the smartest thing to do, especially with my first film and the fact that I have to grow a lot as a filmmaker before I do anything serious is just make something that's accessible and more of a ride, that's more fun. I actually wrote "satire" on like four pieces of paper and stuck them up on my wall to remind me that satire is the way to go with this film. When that happened, everything about it just kind of loosened up and became more enjoyable because from a satirical standpoint, it becomes sort of a not as serious, more creative environment to be in, especially as a first time director. So having said that, I grew up in South Africa during Apartheid and I very actively wanted to make a film that had science fiction placed in that African setting, specifically that South African setting. There's no question that there's many, many, many elements of Apartheid and segregation and now xenophobia in South Africa that have made their way into the film but they provide the sort of foundation that the film rests on top of. It's like a framework that's there and it provides a very strange alternate reality because there's aliens involved, but it doesn't beat you over the head. So if you see the film, it's like I'm not trying to force those kind of soapbox beliefs of mine onto you. I'm simply saying this is all stuff that affected me when I was a kid and I put science fiction into it. Now you can take from it what you want within a sort of satirical, dark humor kind of backdrop.
ps. so far.. I think it's one of the better (if not the best) movie I've seen this year

There's nothing out here in reality so to make me believe that a circumstance, such as the apartheid, can ever recur with aliens in place of humans.
I don't get it.
it's science fiction.

or are you saying that there's no way that humanity would replicate a system such as apartheid if aliens were to ever come here? ... do you have that muchfaith in humanity?....I don't. personally, that's not a far stretch for me at all.
the world is full of idiots and sheep... conformity to an idealogy is easily swallowed given the proper coating

my expectations of this movie was really low... so when i saw the movie i was definetly surpised and i thoroughly enjoyed the movie for what it was... it wasawesome seeing all those body explode from those awesome weapons....

it was entertaining but full of very questionable decisions on the part of various characters.

If I were in a position of power I would have simply exterminated the aliens rather than establish a slum for them to live in.

Just saw it, great movie. Story was very unique and well done, pacing was great and the movie progressed nicely. You really felt the emotion from the prawnsand I found myself feeling real sympathy and sadness.

Wikus did a great job as well, I was skeptical of his acting during the transformation at first but he really nailed it.

Great film.

Back
Top Bottom