OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

we got the first Golden Knight...

entry level contract

That was easily the best effort the Ducks have put out in months. Hope they can keep it going with the tough schedule to finish the season, but I doubt it.

Already mourning the loss of Eaves come free agency. Dude isn't big but he goes to the dirty areas all game long and takes a beating. Never gets outworked.

It's so ironic that Stars fans rooting for a Ducks-Hawks WCF....

Eaves is great man... dude plays gritty night in and night out

One of the better games I've attended at the Honda center lately. Going to ducks games and rooting for the away team is a guilty pleasure.

You see, Josh Ho-Sang got called up to the Islanders this week. And he chose the number 66. He wore it all through juniors. His idol is Pittsburgh Penguins legend Mario Lemieux.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/8/14...pect-mario-lemieux-number-controversy-shut-up

also an interesting point in that article:

Because he’s flashy ... to the point that his maturity came into question. The NHL’s culture is sort of archaic. The NBA and NFL are wildly popular because they embrace the personalities of their star players. Hockey people boast about it being the ultimate team sport. Which might be true. But that doesn’t sell tickets.

jjs07 jjs07 and i harped on this before a few times. the NHL needs to embrace the personalities if the sport is going to grow here and even remotely try and compete with the NFL and NBA

You see, Josh Ho-Sang got called up to the Islanders this week. And he chose the number 66. He wore it all through juniors. His idol is Pittsburgh Penguins legend Mario Lemieux.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/8/14...pect-mario-lemieux-number-controversy-shut-up

also an interesting point in that article:

Because he’s flashy ... to the point that his maturity came into question. The NHL’s culture is sort of archaic. The NBA and NFL are wildly popular because they embrace the personalities of their star players. Hockey people boast about it being the ultimate team sport. Which might be true. But that doesn’t sell tickets.

jjs07 jjs07 and i harped on this before a few times. the NHL needs to embrace the personalities if the sport is going to grow here and even remotely try and compete with the NFL and NBA

Exactly!

Ho-Sang doesn't seem like the type of dude who will succumb to pressure from hockey traditionalists. As folks say, he's "woke."

I was watching the pre-game show before the Sabres/Flyers game last night, and Jack Eichel was warming up without his helmet. Dude is sporting a mohawk, but the female analyst (can't remember his name) called him a chia pet. I mean, come on. Nevermind that dude is 20 and has a cut that a lot of kids his age have, but again, this just shows the disconnect between the older hockey community and the younger players coming up. THey need to embrace the fact that a lot of these guys like rap, wear Js, have instagram, wear flashy/designer clothes, etc. The sooner the brass in the NHL front offices realize this and understand that they need to market these guys without their gear on, the better the league will be for embracing individuality. I love the game, but this aspect of it (hockey purists/traditionalists) makes me sick to my stomach.

I never knew it was this big a deal. 
laugh.gif
 Obviously up here it isn't getting more popular other than all 7 Canadian teams being competitive for the Cup. 

I wonder if it is because we are more socially conservative? Or is it as simple as the other big 4 sports have a combined 2 teams north of the border? Or is the drive from American popular culture less influencing in Canada than I thought?

Either way I always enjoy when you guys bring it up to shine the light on it. It makes total sense.... it's how the NBA got to where it is now and how the NFL continues to remain the dominant sport in North America.

A lot of it also stems from the majority of players being European sadly... 

and of course there's always that lame *** "I can't even follow the game" argument

Back
Top Bottom