OFFICIAL HOCKEY THREAD: NHL, KHL, NCAA, IIHL

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I'm hoping you have all finaly come to the conclusion Karlsson is the best offensive defense on the planet and it's not particularly close right?

fixed. and sure. it's been known.

Last edited:
fixed. and sure. it's been known.

Yep. I'll still take Doughty/Keith/Hedman if I need one dman for a must win game. Guy Boucher has the Sens playing the trap which has helped to mask EK's defensive deficiencies. No doubt he's the best offensive dman in the league though, Burns being a close 2nd.

I'm guessing no one expected this of Nashville?

I love the NHL's playoff seeding. Purists may disagree, but being new to the sport, the intrigue is great. Lots of compelling games I've seen this playoffs that everyone scratched their heads over. What it seems like, at least.

I love the NHL's playoff seeding. Purists may disagree, but being new to the sport, the intrigue is great. Lots of compelling games I've seen this playoffs that everyone scratched their heads over. What it seems like, at least.

Yeah I think Chicago was a HEAVY favorite to knock out Nashville. Glad to see the underdog flourishing though. Great goalie and strong defense is a good bet in the post season.

I'm torn on the seeding. It is weird to see the Caps who finished with the most points have to go through a tough path to the Cup while the Sens get such a cakewalk (relatively speaking). Oh well. All for new teams getting a chance to win the cup. Anyone but Montreal, Chicago, and Pittsburgh :lol:

John Gibson/Corey Perry = straight doodoo

All 3 goals on Rinne so far have been high blocker. Gotta win this or this is done. Nashville isn't losing 2 games at home in this series.

Yeah I think Chicago was a HEAVY favorite to knock out Nashville. Glad to see the underdog flourishing though. Great goalie and strong defense is a good bet in the post season.

I'm torn on the seeding. It is weird to see the Caps who finished with the most points have to go through a tough path to the Cup while the Sens get such a cakewalk (relatively speaking). Oh well. All for new teams getting a chance to win the cup. Anyone but Montreal, Chicago, and Pittsburgh :lol:

Yeah, I don' t know hockey like that, so outside of a few I have casually watched this season, I can't speak on that aspect. Regular season play should reward postseason seeding, but at the same time, if you go into a season predicting the Final like you can do in the NBA, for the most part, why watch the regular season (or play so many games for that matter) if you know the end result already?

Different game, different world, but that's where my already-molded mindset starts and thinks NHL's structure is very much compelling. I'm sure if I were a diehard right now, I might think differently. Minnesota really fell off, on that note. :lol:

Last edited:
Outcomes don't seem to depend on either team having "home-ice" because it's not like a basketball game where you have runs. The fans don't have those moments of standing ovations as teams head back to the huddle that put doubt in the road team's collective minds.

Let's be honest, the Caps were going to choke regardless in all likelihood. They've only played the Pens 3 times in the Ovie era and still never made the CF. This format is a lot better IMO because it builds rivalries with teams more likely to play each other multiple times. EDM/ANA for example I'd bet money meet up again next year.

Outcomes don't seem to depend on either team having "home-ice" because it's not like a basketball game where you have runs. The fans don't have those moments of standing ovations as teams head back to the huddle that put doubt in the road team's collective minds.

I've noticed that, but somewhat realized it as I started watching. Though, hockey crowds are electrifying as hell. Not sure how that filters down to the players, but it's intense.

Let's be honest, the Caps were going to choke regardless in all likelihood. They've only played the Pens 3 times in the Ovie era and still never made the CF. This format is a lot better IMO because it builds rivalries with teams more likely to play each other multiple times. EDM/ANA for example I'd bet money meet up again next year.

Ovechkin was always a name I knew, but that was just from heresay (ESPN). I had no idea how bad he was flunking in the playoffs, especially in comparison to Crosby.

Home teams definitely have advantages. I'd argue even bigger than in basketball where there really isn't a tactical advantage. In hockey home team gets last change. The difference being there's more luck involved in hockey so it's easier for a fluky play to take the crowd out of the game, whereas in basketball the sheer multitude of scoring plays gets the crowd more engaged. If a team gets down 2-0 in hockey, the crowd gets out of it and the team with the lead can start playing in a tight defensive shell.

Home teams definitely have advantages. I'd argue even bigger than in basketball where there really isn't a tactical advantage. In hockey home team gets last change. The difference being there's more luck involved in hockey so it's easier for a fluky play to take the crowd out of the game, whereas in basketball the sheer multitude of scoring plays gets the crowd more engaged. If a team gets down 2-0 in hockey, the crowd gets out of it and the team with the lead can start playing in a tight defensive shell.

What does this mean?

Line changes?

Last edited:

this is the best (and maybe only) argument i like in favor of the current format. definitely a good point to bring up.

i just know if my team finished first overall, i'd hate to have the toughest road. the caps being habitual chokers against the pens aside, i think most teams would hate it :lol:

Yeah, I don' t know hockey like that, so outside of a few I have casually watched this season, I can't speak on that aspect. Regular season play should reward postseason seeding, but at the same time, if you go into a season predicting the Final like you can do in the NBA, for the most part, why watch the regular season (or play so many games for that matter) if you know the end result already?

Different game, different world, but that's where my already-molded mindset starts and thinks NHL's structure is very much compelling. I'm sure if I were a diehard right now, I might think differently. Minnesota really fell off, on that note. :lol:

so that's a good and funny point you bring up. despite the old format of rewarding the higher seeds, upsets in the NHL playoffs still happened habitually. it's always been the most unpredictable playoffs of all the major sports. a far cry from the NFL and NBA imo. so maybe it's irrelevant to begin with and not really a big deal with the current format :lol:

What does this mean?

Line changes?

The road team has to put their players on the ice first for faceoffs. This allows the home coach to get the matchups he wants. IE Kesler being attached to McDavid's hip.

Ah...Thank you.

this is the best (and maybe only) argument i like in favor of the current format. definitely a good point to bring up.

i just know if my team finished first overall, i'd hate to have the toughest road. the caps being habitual chokers against the pens aside, i think most teams would hate it :lol:

I know you're speaking without a homer mindset here and I know this because I frequently listen to Bill Burr podcasts, a "known" Bostonian and fan and his *** was perplexed with the new (I'm not sure how new it is, myself) seeding, but he figured not playing Pittsburgh was a win for the Bruins, which is how it would be in the old alignment? Same as how NBA does it, but yeah...I guess, it didn't help them this time.

Last edited:

so that's a good and funny point you bring up. despite the old format of rewarding the higher seeds, upsets in the NHL playoffs still happened habitually. it's always been the most unpredictable playoffs of all the major sports. a far cry from the NFL and NBA imo. so maybe it's irrelevant to begin with and not really a big deal with the current format :lol:

Interesting.

Maybe it's all moot then. Like I said initially, I'm intrigued by it, but I don't have a backlog of history to go off of. I remember someone in some thread at some point, when debating playoff formats in sports, mentioned that part of what makes hockey so great is that anyone can win the Cup. I didn't know if that was based on the new format or overall.

It's really hard being a lover of sports and trying so hard to get caught up with something like this. I feel so incompetent. :lol: Basically, I just remember names and vaguely remember watching the later games in the Final from back in the day...Talking Wings, Devils, Avalanche...Late 90's early 00's? It's why I here Forsberg during this game and think Peter. :lol:

Last edited:
Talking Wings, Devils, Avalanche...Late 90's early 00's? It's why I here Forsberg during this game and think Peter. :lol:

man those wings/avalanche series were legendary. i remember staying up WAY past my bedtime with my dad watching those games. the bad blood and hate on the ice was ridiculous. and then big names and talent on both sides. insane :lol:

and then the devils with their "trap" and stone wall in net that wasn't as sexy to watch but still great stuff.

playoff hockey. then. now. always :pimp:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom