+++OFFICIAL JAY Z THREAD+++

Lol I don't need a "breakdown" of why he keeps referencing Basquiat, the allusion he's trying to make is obvious. That article said nothing new. The point is that he keeps beating it into the ground because he has nothing else to talk about.

I'm sure he can find another metaphor to make. Continuing to talk about Basquiat is lazy.

Last edited:
Lol I don't need a "breakdown" of why he keeps referencing Basquiat, the allusion he's trying to make is obvious. That article said nothing new. The point is that he keeps beating it into the ground because he has nothing else to talk about.

I'm sure he can find another metaphor to make. Continuing to talk about Basquiat is lazy.
EXACTLY. It's like Wayne using that Weezy F Baby bull**it line, but keeps changing what the F stands for.

Last edited:

EXACTLY. It's like Wayne using that Weezy F Baby bull**it line, but keeps changing what the F stands for.
Honestly I'm pretty sure Jay has referenced Basquiat at least 10 different times, it's beyond cliche now

http://rapgenius.com/posts/1569-The-top-5-people-rappers-reference

The Top 5 People Rappers Reference

1357209241_Basquiat.jpg

Basquiat is a African-American grafiti-artist and painter from New York City.

1) On Watch the Throne, Jay-Z protectively corrects a girl for saying Basquiat wrong, and also luxuriously enjoys his Basquiat paintings while he’s taking a piss.

2) Danny Brown sees Basquiat’s paintings when he’s tripping on shrooms

3) When Rick Ross “kills people,” the wall looks like a Basquiat painting (he also apparently has a Basquiat tattoo on his leg)

4) A$ap Rocky wants to be permanently known as “Basquiat Picasso”

Why Basquiat? In my opinion, Basquiat mirrors hip hop by taking a stereotypically urban thing, like graffiti, and giving it a luxurious and expensive connotation.

Coincidentally the article also mentions Kurt Cobain, another artist who Jay probably thought it would be "edgy" and "groundbreaking" to quote on Holy Grail. Kurt Cobain is still supposed to be edgy in 2013? Really? He should have used some Bob Marley quotes too while he was at it.

Last edited:
If you wanna hear jay rapping about drugs listen to AG...the theme gave him a pass to go all out :pimp:

Still hate "when the money goes" wasn't the last track on there

I dont, not a single thing. Please enlighten me, and I'm being serious.

:lol: At the A$AP French Montana thing again.

I'm getting up tomorrow and going to BB first thing to snag a copy and if it isnt there like Deuce King said earlier then I'm going to be mad 

Anti, I know you probably don't much about Kurt or Nirvana. I've see you post a couple times you only really listen to rap. Kurt Cobain was known to be pretty anti-corporate and hate his fame and with this album being released with the whole Samsung deal, having commercials during NBA Finals, and his lyrics being featured on a song with arguably the 2 biggest artists of their genre who seem to enjoy their fame just seems off to me and something he wouldn't have approved if he was still alive.

I know exactly who he is, but that's not answering my question.

I'm wondering how a dude who offed himself with a wife and young daughter could stand for something. Is he supposed to get respect from me?

Did I say you should respect him? I was only talking about his ideas towards corporations and fame being a direct conflict with what Jay-Z is rapping about and how this album was marketed.

Last edited:
something interesting i came across

hmv.ca (since im here in toronto) has listed as an upcoming release

MCHG: Date of release: 09/07/2013

MCHG/Deluxe Edition: Date of release: 23/07/2013

please oh please let that Deluxe Edition have at least a Rae verse on "Heaven" and heck throw GFK on it to top it off...when listening to the original it has that super long instrumental at the end that sems like its missing something IMO

maybe an extended version of "Beach is Better" as well

Kurt Cobain was on the cover of Rolling Stone wearing a white T that read "CORPORATE MAGAZINES STILL SUCK"...

...and then on the other hand, there's Jay-Z.

please oh please let that Deluxe Edition have at least a Rae verse on "Heaven" and heck throw GFK on it to top it off...when listening to the original it has that super long instrumental at the end that sems like its missing something IMO

dvd?:nerd:

MCHG>Yeezus.

But I really don't know why some of you are suprised. Jay-z been biting off other artists' ideas and lines since he came out.
One of the biggest plagiarists in hip-hop history.

I pray for an extended version of beach is better, I started listening and I was like wow this is easily the best track on the album and next thing I knew it just stopped

Anti, I know you probably don't much about Kurt or Nirvana. I've see you post a couple times you only really listen to rap. Kurt Cobain was known to be pretty anti-corporate and hate his fame and with this album being released with the whole Samsung deal, having commercials during NBA Finals, and his lyrics being featured on a song with arguably the 2 biggest artists of their genre who seem to enjoy their fame just seems off to me and something he wouldn't have approved if he was still alive.
Did I say you should respect him? I was only talking about his ideas towards corporations and fame being a direct conflict with what Jay-Z is rapping about and how this album was marketed.

Who cares what Kurt Cobain likes. Kid should have cared more about fatherhood.

Kurt Cobain was on the cover of Rolling Stone wearing a white T that read "CORPORATE MAGAZINES STILL SUCK"...

...and then on the other hand, there's Jay-Z.

Yeah, the guy who made a couple of songs dedicated to his daughter.

Last edited:
I got a question I always wanted to ask.

When people say Jay or any artist says the same thing on every song... What else is that artist supposed to talk about.

Or better yet just give me am example of a rapper that isn't talking about the same thing on every song.
They can't do that. People just complain to complain

Not feeling MCHG...This is my first time around the CD. What are your favorite tracks? I'll take a second listen.
If I had to rank the tracks in order right now it would go: Heaven, Jay-Z Blue, F.U.T.W, Picasso Baby, Tom Ford, F.W.M.Y.K.I.G.I, Nickles and Dimes, Crown, Part 2, Holy Grail, Oceans, Somewhere in America, Beach is Better, Versus, La Familia, and BBC

Can someone find a source to this? If I can wait to pick up my physical copy I will for this, I wont mind having to buy two copies depending on what comes with the Deluxe however.

I dont, not a single thing. Please enlighten me, and I'm being serious.

laugh.gif
At the A$AP French Montana thing again.

I'm getting up tomorrow and going to BB first thing to snag a copy and if it isnt there like Deuce King said earlier then I'm going to be mad

I know exactly who he is, but that's not answering my question.

I'm wondering how a dude who offed himself with a wife and young daughter could stand for something. Is he supposed to get respect from me?

Ah I see. Good looks on the explanation I appreciate it.

As it stands right now Heaven >>>>>>>>

Last edited:

Have you ever thought he keeps mentioning it because he was thoroughly influenced by the man and what he stands for. People are OK with every ******g rapper in the world constantly talking bout Scarface but we accept that. So now he's likening himself to something positive and suddenlt it's too much?

I'm pretty sure he could name several different artist but he intentionally trying to get people to focus on Basquiats work, where is the issue with that.

I'm pretty sure he touched on Basquiat and his influence in Decoded, I haven't read it in awhile though so I may be mixing it up with someone else.

Bottom line is that he just needs to quit the name dropping already. 

Last edited:
Have you ever thought he keeps mentioning it because he was thoroughly influenced by the man and what he stands for. People are OK with every ******g rapper in the world constantly talking bout Scarface but we accept that. So now he's likening himself to something positive and suddenlt it's too much?

I'm pretty sure he could name several different artist but he intentionally trying to get people to focus on Basquiats work, where is the issue with that.

As the old adage goes..."He who namedrops Rolls Royce 100x shall be praised, He who namedrops Basquiat 5x shall be shunned."

Yea he def talks about it in more detail in decoded... It just seems as if dudes nitpick everything Jay does, dudes in here giving the album a 7/10 off one listen and saying their never going to listen again.. ****** saying that Jay ******g Z is stealing flows from lil B & chief keef (two ****** who literally mumble their verses out)

This ***** records an ENTIRE song about questioning religion and the seperation it causes and ****** are calling a 56 second snippet of hov over a trap beat the best song on the album :smh:

some people are going to get it and some just aren't.

Back
Top Bottom