Official Jazz thread

Astrud Gilberto - It Might as Well Be Spring

This thread needed a proper bump.

Bill Evans - Spring Is Here

Clifford Brown & Max Roach - Joy Spring

Last edited:
Robert Glasper - Reckoner (live Radiohead cover)

I love that all these young cats are covering & reinterpreting Radiohead songs. Beautifully done live.

Wynton Marsalis - April in Paris

Miles Davis - 'Round Midnight

Great story as told by Wynton about the legendary fracas between he & Miles where the story was greatly exaggerated by others.

I have recently been asked about my 1986 encounter with Miles Davis in Vancouver. Though I have not thought about it in years, the interest in this incident and the inaccurate recounting of it in Miles' book (which I addressed publicly before his passing) has for some reason resurfaced. Just for the sake of truth, I called the three men who could verify what happened: Jeff Watts, Robert Hurst and Marcus Roberts. I asked them to comment on a statement of the facts leading up to the impromptu meeting, and they all agreed. Now, almost thirty years has passed. We don't get the chance to speak that often but shared a good laugh recalling the events of that day. The story and their unedited statements appear below. As you will see, although all three have different feelings about it, not one of them disputes the facts.

Vancouver, June 1986
We were in the car approaching the city when the subject of Miles' repeated disrespecting of me and my family came up. Marcus, Tain and Bob began yeasting me, "Man, how long you gonna just let him say you ain't **** and do absolutely nothing." "Yeah man, Davis is always slapping you." "We think you must be scared of him." Then someone (I think it was Tain) said, "He's playing tonight and we're off. I think you ought to go up there and jump on him." I said, "Man, I have too much respect for him to do that." Then they started betting I wouldn't. We were joking and laughing. The pot hit $100 apiece and I said, "Ok. I'll do it." And I did.

He was actually playing the organ when I walked on the bandstand. So far as him saying anything to me, it was too loud to hear whatever he said. When the band stopped, he said something, but '****' was not one of the words. And so far as him hitting me, I made sure to stay to the left (I'm left handed) and avoid that at all costs, because that would have put me in an unwinnable situation. I came to respond to his constant public **** talking about me, not to whip a much older (and infirm) man's ***, which certainly would have happened at that time and would have caused my father to whip mine. And.....I never collected that $300.

The story hit the street and became a much bigger deal than it was or than any of us thought it would be.

The statements of Jeff Watts, Robert Hurst and Marcus Roberts.

Jeff 'Tain'Watts:
"I recall the events of the day similarly, with Wynton having initial trepidation about sitting in, out of respect. I believe I pushed it over the edge by saying that perhaps Miles should not be above having someone jam with him during his performance, as he had done the same with Bird and others.

The other band members and I positioned ourselves in the audience, and when Wynton walked out, we exclaimed loudly "Look, it's Wynton.....wow !!!". We were howling with laughter that he actually did it.

I never anticipated that how much would be made of the feat, as it quickly became international news, still talked about to this day. I was young and silly at the time. Oh well......"

Bob Hurst:
"As embarrassing as it is to recount these matters, they are in fact true, and I deeply apologize for the ignorance and lack of judgment shown during my youth which yielded any disrespect to my musical hero, Miles Davis or his Great Legacy."

Marcus Roberts:
"This account is accurate. We were all young guys on a mission to preserve our music, and though we all grew up admiring Miles' contribution to the music, we also felt as young men that he no longer represented the art form with the same level of steadfast integrity as before when he was great and admired by musicians and laymen alike. So, after Wynton sat in and played on this slow blues to a stunned but very supportive and appreciative audience, we all left.

We felt bad, because in the end, how many heroes are left that you can truly look up to and admire? The key to the future of preserving the high ideals of jazz has always been to reassert your dedication to the highest principles of the music while playing it, especially in public.
So, hopefully this clears up any misunderstanding concerning Vancouver. Me, Bob, and Tain were all there and witnessed it."

There you have it. Hopefully I will not be called upon to address this again until 40 years from now when, if fortune smiles upon me, I will be 93.

Wynton

eek.gif
 I had no idea that happened... wow.  But why was Miles so hard on the guy?

^ At that time in the mid 80's, Wynton was in the midst of a huge run of critical & commercial success. He had won grammys for jazz & classical music & was the darling of the press heralding an era of "Young Lions" in jazz with his brother, Terrance Blanchard, & Donald Harrison among others.

They were mining the likes of Miles, Bird, & early Coltrane & building upon what they did while Miles (coming back from a long hiatus) was playing with electric guitars & synthesizers covering Cyndi Lauper songs.

Miles was getting hammered by the critics & in interviews he lashed out at not only the critics but those they were praising & Wynton (being the biggest jazz musician at the time) was his prime target.

Miles referred to the stuff Wynton was playing by saying, "They got Wynton playing some old dead European music, If he keeps on, they’re going to f**k him up." :rolleyes

Wynton Marsalis - Black Codes

This album, Black Codes (From the Underground) from '85 is a classic. He had his brother Branford on sax, Kenny Kirkland on piano (RIP), Ron Carter on bass, & Jeff "Tain" Watts on drums. Charnett Moffett also played bass on some songs too.

Last edited:
Tigran Hamasyan - The Court Jester

Something a little different. This thread needed a bump.

Tigran's brand of jazz is influenced by his Armenian heritage & his love of thrash metal has a youngin'.

I don't like all of his stuff, but I do find him interesting.

BB King - 3 O'Clock Blues

RIP to a legend. He was playing an average of 100 shows a year when he turned 80 until early last year when he started having health problems. BB stood for Blues Boy which was his moniker when he was radio DJ in his early days. Man won like 15-16 Grammys. Very proud to say my brother & I saw him several times & even shook hands with the man.

RIP.

I always loved the lyrics in this song. No one bends a note like BB... :nerd:

I ordered my tickets in advance to see Mr. King but I never got them. I called em up and said what happened? The Ticketmaster rep said she would have them will call for me at the venue. It was on February 17, 2013 when I showed up to the venue. I tell the guy at the booth my name. "Sorry, your tickets aren't here. Its best that you call Ticketmaster." I was so pissed. Sure enough on a Sunday night, Ticketmaster is closed. My friend strolled in. I had to think fast. I stepped beside the booth inside and was pretending to be on my phone. I look around to scope the security that was distracted and I went in straight to the bathroom. There was no way in hell that I was going to miss him. I got so lucky they didnt kick me out. The night was incredible and I'm happy to have seen him live. A true legend indeed. RIP BB King.

Last edited:
Bill Evans - But Beautiful (ft. Stan Getz)

Bill Evans - My Favorite Things /Easy to Love /Baubles, Bangles, & Beads & Someday My Prince Will Come

Kamasi Washington - Final Thought & Isabelle

Young brotha from Cali has an ambitous new album out.

Last edited:
Soil & Pimp Sessions - Crush & Satsuriku Rejects

This just came on whilst my iPhone was on shuffle mode.

Last edited:
Jonathan Greenstein - The Tourist (Radiohead cover)

Robert Glasper - The Worst (Jhene Aiko cover)

Glasper has such a "lush" melodic sound to his playing... I love it...

RIP to Bruce Lundvall former Blue Note president who passed away on May 19th as a result of a long time struggle with Parkinsons. He was 79. Blue Note released the following statement -

It’s with great sadness that we announce the passing of beloved music man & longtime President of Blue Note Records, Bruce Lundvall. He was 79 years old. The cause was complications from a prolonged battle with Parkinson’s disease. Born in Englewood, New Jersey in 1935, Bruce was a lifelong jazz lover whose passion for the music was ignited by Clifford Brown, Charlie Parker & the other beboppers he heard as an underage teenager at clubs along West 52nd Street in New York City in the 1950s.

A self-described “failed saxophone player,” Bruce took an entry level marketing job at Columbia Records in 1960 and over the following two decades rose to lead the North American division of the label, signing artists including Dexter Gordon, Herbie Hancock, Stan Getz, Wynton Marsalis & Willie Nelson. After launching the Elektra/Musician label in 1982, he received the offer of a lifetime in 1984 when EMI approached him about reviving Blue Note Records which had been dormant for several years. He jumped at the chance, partnering with producer Michael Cuscuna to bring back the label’s earlier stars like Jimmy Smith, McCoy Tyner, Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson & Jackie McLean, and signing new artists including Dianne Reeves, Cassandra Wilson, Michel Petrucciani, John Scofield, Charlie Hunter and Medeski Martin & Wood.

Under Bruce’s stewardship Blue Note established itself as the most-respected and longest-running jazz label in the world. He presided over a prosperous nearly-30-year period of the label’s history, reaching commercial heights with artists including Bobby McFerrin, Us3, Norah Jones, Al Green and Amos Lee, while recording some of the most important jazz artists of our time including Joe Lovano, Greg Osby, Jason Moran, Robert Glasper, Ambrose Akinmusire, Don Pullen, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Terence Blanchard, Jacky Terrasson, and many others.

Current Blue Note president Don Was said this about Lundvall -

Bruce was a one-of-a-kind, larger-than-life human being. His joie de vivre was equaled only by his love for music, impeccable taste and kind heart. He will be sorely missed by all of us who loved and admired him but his spirit will live forever in the music of Blue Note Records.

Last edited:
^^^

Dope post.

I worked at Virgin, an EMI subsidiary at the time. We were in the same building in NY when Bruce ran Blue Note. Very cool dude.

They put out some dope *** compilations too while I was there. I think one series was called Blue Breakbeats. Or something like that.

You can tell at the time they were catering to a kind of "hip hop" audience that was getting into Jazz via sampling. And I loved all that ****.

And I had a thing for Norah Jones :smokin

RIP

Last edited:
Melody Gardot has a new cd out. Don't think it's really jazz but she's a favorite of mine. Haven't had the chance to listen to the cd yet

Melody Gardot - Same to you

Gracie Terzian - Saints & Poets

Her EP just hit iTunes a week ago...

Really like this, sounds perfect to play during the morning while I'm cleaning throughout the house....shame it cuts off like that though

Last edited:
Joey Alexander - Giant Steps & My Favorite Things

9 years old... :x :smokin This kid was playing Thelonious Monk at 6 years old...

I'll rep the BB Kings when my limit expires.

:x :x :x :x

About to buy his album.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom