Official Jazz Thread

I know there are fellow Jazz heads out there and I am always looking to discover new artists and revisit some old classics. Post new and old in here, some recent albums I been rocking to....

Jeff Parker- Suite for Max Brown

Kamasi Washington - Heaven and Earth

Some oldies I always rock with

Last edited:
Hampton Hawes : a personal favorite since he’s a pianist from SELA (Compton) - a man who does not get the shine he deserves . Played with people who would become serious legends and would have become one in his own right if it wasn’t for some unfortunate events .

He struggled with a H addiction (like many of my idols in jazz) and just when he started to make his wave (coming off a big tour and being voted as the number one rising star by major jazz publications in 1956) , he became targeted by the f3ds in an undercover operation here in LA after his bassist ratted him out (leaving the snitch name out - you can find it online if you dig) . He didn’t sing like they expected/wanted him to (they thought he would in order to save his promising career) , so they sentenced him to ten years . He reached out to the President at the time and was granted an executive pardon by JFK in 1963 . Check out his book “Raise Up Off Me” if you’re looking for a fresh new read . ****s wild

Hampton Hawes - p
Ray Brown - b
Bob Cooper - ts
Shelly Manne - d

* Shelly Manne was part owner of “Shelly’s Manne-Hole” , a jazz club aimed at keeping the west coast jazz torch lit in LA . Many live albums were recorded there , along with one extremely famous one by Bill Evans . There is a plaque covering a manhole on Cahuenga celebrating the iconic spot - if you’re ever by it , scope it out .

There’s so much history in this music man . It’s not just neo-traditionalism and listening to dinosaur tunes or the sounds from the elevator/customer service hold line . You can feel it in your bones . Sad or happy and anywhere in between - it’s played in the key of life . Swing , bebop , hard bop , post bop , cool jazz , jazz blues , bossanova . . . There’s so many styles . Saying you like jazz is like saying you like sports - which sport ? Try listening to it - just once , on a solo walk home . With a little bit of effort and research , you can appreciate the interplay happening between musicians on the bandstand . There is a world of knowledge in this music . You don’t have to be a musician to appreciate jazz , you can dive in and enjoy it for a lifetime as a listener . Keep this **** alive man

Happening in our time :

Joel Ross (Bluenote Records)

North London scene is going crazy rn

Today’s stars / Tomorrow’s legends

Back
Top Bottom