***Official Los Angeles Dodgers 2024 Thread!*** 63-44. Welcome Flaherty, Edman, Kopech, Rosario and Kiermaier. Get well Mookie, Yoshi, and Dustin.

ESPN trade grades

Dodgers deal for Rosario -- for second consecutive deadline

i

Dodgers get:
IF/OF Amed Rosario

i

Rays get:
RHP Michael Flynn

Dodgers grade: C+

Hey, it wouldn't be a trade deadline if the Dodgers didn't deal for Amed Rosario. This happened last year, of course, when Los Angeles traded Noah Syndergaard, currently out of baseball, to Cleveland for Rosario. The assumption was that the Dodgers would sprinkle their analytical pixie dust on Rosario and -- poof! -- a gem would be unearthed. Instead, Rosario was exactly what he was for the Guardians, and that turned out to not be good enough for him to earn a spot on the Dodgers' postseason roster.

This time around, Rosario comes to L.A. with a better batting line. (That Tampa Bay pixie dust is pretty good too.) He's hitting a career-best .307 in utility a role, though the average is a little empty given his lack of secondary production. Still, have you seen some of the numbers the Dodgers have been running out there in the bottom of their order?

They needed a bench upgrade, and in Rosario -- as well as the previously acquired Tommy Edman -- they've done that in impressive fashion. Both have lots of positional flexibility and raise the floor of a Dodgers roster that usually has a very high floor. Not for nothing: Rosario isn't making a lot this season, and he will be a free agent when the campaign is done.

Cardinals get Fedde in 3-team, 8-player swap with White Sox, Dodgers

i

Dodgers get:
IF/OF Tommy Edman
RHP Michael Kopech
RHP Oliver Gonzalez

i

Cardinals get:
RHP Erick Fedde
OF Tommy Pham
Player to be named or cash considerations from the Dodgers

i

White Sox get:
IF Miguel Vargas
IF Jeral Perez
OF Alexander Albertus
Player to be named or cash considerations from the Dodgers

Dodgers grade: B+

I deliberated whether to go A- or B+ for the Dodgers but ended up at the latter. I love -- LOVE -- Edman for the Dodgers, but as a recent top-100 prospect with less than a year of big league service time, Vargas is a valuable player for Los Angeles to surrender. Kopech makes up some of the difference and could turn this into an A+ if the Dodgers are able to coax long-dormant consistent dominance out of his big arm.

Edman, meanwhile, hasn't appeared in the majors this season. He had wrist surgery early on, recovered and then hurt his ankle while on a rehab assignment. When he returns, he'll become manager Dave Roberts' latest factotum -- and perhaps the best combination of versatility and quality Roberts has had in that role yet.

Edman switch-hits with little platoon differential. He has playable power with average exit velocities. He steals bases with both quantity and efficiency. He has started at second, third, shortstop and all three outfield spots in the majors, often with Gold Glove-quality defense. His bat-to-ball skills are top notch and a perfect complement to the Dodgers' offensive profile. When healthy -- the big caveat here -- Edman might be the ultimate glue player in the majors right now, and that's perfect for this Dodgers roster.

And if they can work their magic on Kopech, look out. Edman and Kopech are both under control through next season, which improves the valuation on the deal from the L.A. perspective that much more.

Gonzalez is a 17-year-old righty out of Panama who was just getting started at St. Louis' entrant in the Dominican Summer League.

If they don’t get Flaherty it’ll be a bust of a trade deadline. Shohei came to win so AF needs to stop dumpster diving.

Honestly if Kiermaier plays great CF I’m happy with that. Having Pages struggle out there isn’t great. Pages/Heyward platoon. Glad Flaherty is coming to us. He’s a rental so hopefully coming home will pump him up and be solid the rest of the year.

I haven't paid attention to him, so what's behind Flaherty's sudden turnaround? Seems like he was a middling kinda starter his whole career and then boom, outta nowhere he's lights-out this year. Is it just "contract-year" performance or did he develop an eephus or something? It'll be interesting to see how Prior can help him even more, too.

Happy he's our's now though lol. Welcome home...

Dodgers add front-line rotation player in Flaherty minutes before deadline ends

i

Dodgers get:
RHP Jack Flaherty

i

Tigers get:
C/1B Thayron Liranzo
SS Trey Sweeney

Dodgers grade: A

Flaherty represented the big-game catch in this trade market as Garrett Crochet, Blake Snell and Tarik Skubal stayed put. Back in the second half of 2019, Flaherty had one of the most dominant runs of recent years and finished fourth in the Cy Young voting. Years of injuries and disappointing results followed, but he rediscovered his slider with the Detroit Tigers -- and, subsequently, he's 7-5 with a 2.95 ERA, 133 strikeouts and just 19 walks in 106⅔ innings.

The Los Angeles Dodgers, looking for as much starting pitching insurance as possible after all the injuries that hit them last October, wanted a front-of-the-rotation starter and got one in Flaherty. They're still waiting -- or hoping -- for Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Walker Buehler to get healthy, but they can now dream of a playoff rotation featuring Tyler Glasnow, Flaherty, Yamamoto, Clayton Kershaw and Buehler as options. For a team that has gone 15 consecutive playoff games without a starter getting an out in the sixth inning, that's a rotation -- again, if healthy -- that finally gets the Dodgers back to a World Series.

Is there any downside here? I don't see it. The Dodgers -- with the San Diego Padres still close enough to make the NL West race close -- can now feel a little more comfortable in easing Yamamoto and Buehler back. Flaherty has been remarkably consistent, going at least five innings in every start so far this season and allowing more than three runs just once in his past 13 outings. Flaherty is just a rental, but he's the best starting pitcher to get traded and exactly what the Dodgers needed.

Back
Top Bottom