**OFFICIAL MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES OFF-SEASON THREAD ** Johnny Davis Gone/Grizz Extend QO to Gasol/Haddadi

[table][tr][td]MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES TEAM ROSTER[/td][/tr][tr][td]NO.[/td][td]NAME[/td][td]POS[/td][td]AGE[/td][td]HT[/td][td]WT[/td][td]COLLEGE[/td][td]2010-2011 SALARY[/td][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]Tony Allen[/td][td]SG[/td][td]29[/td][td]6-4[/td][td]213[/td][td]Oklahoma State[/td][td]$3,000,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]0[/td][td]Darrell Arthur[/td][td]PF[/td][td]22[/td][td]6-9[/td][td]235[/td][td]Kansas[/td][td]$1,123,680[/td][/tr][tr][td]31[/td][td]Shane Battier[/td][td]SF[/td][td]32[/td][td]6-8[/td][td]220[/td][td]Duke[/td][td]$7,354,500[/td][/tr][tr][td]0[/td][td]Leon Powe[/td][td]SF[/td][td]26[/td][td]6-8[/td][td]240[/td][td]California[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]11[/td][td]Mike Conley[/td][td]PG[/td][td]23[/td][td]6-1[/td][td]185[/td][td]Ohio State[/td][td]$4,913,077[/td][/tr][tr][td]33[/td][td]Marc Gasol[/td][td]C[/td][td]26[/td][td]7-1[/td][td]265[/td][td] [/td][td]$3,573,333[/td][/tr][tr][td]22[/td][td]Rudy Gay[/td][td]SF[/td][td]24[/td][td]6-8[/td][td]230[/td][td]Connecticut[/td][td]$13,603,750[/td][/tr][tr][td]15[/td][td]Hamed Haddadi[/td][td]C[/td][td]25[/td][td]7-2[/td][td]265[/td][td] [/td][td]$1,600,000[/td][/tr][tr][td]13[/td][td]Xavier Henry[/td][td]SG[/td][td]19[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]220[/td][td]Kansas[/td][td]$2,020,200[/td][/tr][tr][td]32[/td][td]O.J. Mayo[/td][td]SG[/td][td]23[/td][td]6-4[/td][td]210[/td][td]USC[/td][td]$4,456,200[/td][/tr][tr][td]50[/td][td]Zach Randolph[/td][td]PF[/td][td]29[/td][td]6-9[/td][td]260[/td][td]Michigan State[/td][td]$17,666,666[/td][/tr][tr][td]0[/td][td]Ishmael Smith[/td][td]PG[/td][td]22[/td][td]6-0[/td][td]175[/td][td]Wake Forest[/td][td]$473,604[/td][/tr][tr][td]21[/td][td]Greivis Vasquez[/td][td]G[/td][td]24[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]211[/td][td]Maryland[/td][td]$1,035,960[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Jason Williams[/td][td]PG[/td][td]35[/td][td]6-1[/td][td]180[/td][td]Florida[/td][td]$524,964[/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]Sam Young[/td][td]SG[/td][td]25[/td][td]6-6[/td][td]220[/td][td]Pittsburgh[/td][td]$886,000[/td][/tr][/table]

[font=verdana, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

CURRENT RECORD: 34-28 

FINAL 20 GAMES:

3/4: vs. NOH 
3/6: @ DAL 
3/7: vs. OKC 
3/9: vs. NYK 
3/12: @ MIA 
3/14: vs. LAC
3/17: @ NYK 
3/19: vs. IND 
3/21: vs. UTA 
3/23: @ BOS 
3/25: @ CHI 
3/27: vs. SAS 
3/30: vs. GSW 
4/1: @ NOH 
4/2: vs. MIN 
4/5: vs. LAC 
4/8: vs. SAC 
4/10: vs. NOH 
4/12: @ POR 
4/13: @ LAC 

[/font]

[/font]

Will be following the team once again this season.
pimp.gif

Here's hoping Conley can play well during the entire season and not just the last 6 weeks.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Looking at locking up tickets to Nuggets/Bulls/Heat/Thunder games this year.
nerd.gif

Anyone got a link to the game? The 1 on ATDHE aint working for me

Well isn't it something that Grizz took OJ out and put Tony Allen in against the Hawks and they made a comeback?
I just got a feeling OJ won't be here long because he will be playing SG knowing that he can't defend them. But, for the way OJ has been utilized, he's been extremely productive under these circumstances. I would like to see some OJ/Allen backcourt action, but not so sure on what Hollins will do. 

Ronnie Brewer hamstring is still limiting him with the Bulls. At first, I wish we would've at least extended the QO for him, but if we had to choose someone to go forward with during the length of their contract I'll pick Allen. I think a lot of his intangibles will far outweigh anything. 

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Well isn't it something that Grizz took OJ out and put Tony Allen in against the Hawks and they made a comeback?
I just got a feeling OJ won't be here long because he will be playing SG knowing that he can't defend them. But, for the way OJ has been utilized, he's been extremely productive under these circumstances. I would like to see some OJ/Allen backcourt action, but not so sure on what Hollins will do. 

Ronnie Brewer hamstring is still limiting him with the Bulls. At first, I wish we would've at least extended the QO for him, but if we had to choose someone to go forward with during the length of their contract I'll pick Allen. I think a lot of his intangibles will far outweigh anything. 
Me and you already had this conversation.
tired.gif

Once Xavier Henry gets his shot right, O.J. will be traded.
ohwell.gif

Who is OJ Mayo?
A closer look at the Grizzlies’ third-year leader.

For someone who received so much hype out of Huntington High School–praised as the second coming of this star and that star–OJ Mayo entered the NBA prepared for a marathon, not a sprint, even though so many had already placed him at the finish line.
Mayo answers questions like he releases his jumpers, deliberate and with a quiet confidence. For someone who concedes he would have jumped straight from high school to the NBA if permitted, Mayo’s modesty belies his talent. It is hard to imagine the transition involved in the label one carries—the best high school prospect and lottery pick—to becoming a player on a roster, where the name on the front of the jersey supersedes that on the back. But transition is inevitable, on and off the court, and Mayo makes both look smooth.

Drafted third overall in 2008 by the Timberwolves and traded to the Grizzlies, Mayo said he did not feel pressure from being selected so high. “I think, as a little boy, your dream is to become an NBA player. As long as you’re wearing an NBA jersey, it’s a blessing and I just want to come out and play hard,

Starting lineup tonight: Conley, Henry, Gay, Randolph, Thabeet
Hollins trying to put Thabeet at the five just so OJ won't feel bad for him starting Henry. 
laugh.gif

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, 'Lucida Sans', 'Lucida Grande', sans-serif]
[/font]

From the Commercial Appeal:

The coaching staff continued to look at several different lineup combinations with second-year center Hasheem Thabeet and rookie guard Xavier Henry among the starters.

The idea was to give center Marc Gasol some rest and see how third-year guard O.J. Mayo played with the second team. This much is for sure after three exhibition games: The Griz are getting a boost in reserve no matter who comes off the bench.

"The bench is doing a good job as a unit creating that trust that they can score and play defense," Hollins said. "Eventually we'll get to the right combination and have the right balance for our team. We have to keep exploring."

If we have to do this in order for OJ to actually do what he does best in scoring the ball, then I'm all for it. Using him that way is better than having him stand in the corner as a spot shooter. My idea of how our unit may look would be something like:

Nine man rotation:

Starters:
PG Conley 32 minutes
SG Henry 8 minutes
SF Gay 36 minutes
PF ZBo 34 minutes
C Gasol 31 minutes

Backups

PG Allen 16 minutes
SG Mayo 34 minutes/Allen 4 minutes
SF Henry 12 minutes
PF Arthur 14 minutes
C Thabeet 14 minutes/Arthur 3

So Juice gets the Iverson role. 
laugh.gif

Kind of ridiculous how deep the team is at the 2 and 3 now....Gay, Juice, Allen, X, Young and Carroll. It should be interesting who gets left out of the rotation when the season rolls around.

Re-energized: Marc Gasol finding a groove after exhausting summer

He ran through mountains for recreation, tripped over hurdles in the World Championships and hit a brick wall during the early stages of Grizzlies training camp.

Marc Gasol ran the mountains in Spain to get in shape. He's shaken some weight. If he's not suffering from fatigue, he'll be fine.

Marc Gasol's teammates were a bit concerned before the Grizzlies' dominated the Oklahoma City Thunder in a preseason victory Tuesday night.

He seemed a bit disoriented by the string of events.

"I talked to the big fella and told him to turn it up," Griz power forward Zach Randolph said. "We need him to score. I know what he's got. He's the catalyst to the team. I need him to get down on that block and do what he does. We need him to win."

Gasol — the center trying to power his way out of the shadows of older brother, Pau — seems to have found his legs and head.

The 7-foot Spaniard displayed an impressive rhythm during the victory over the Thunder that would lead many to believe he's finally found his footing back on U.S. soil. That's a good thing for the Grizzlies and bad for Caja Laboral — the Spanish team Memphis hosts tonight as part of the Euroleague Basketball American Tour.

Gasol converted his first nine shots against the Thunder, most of which came from point-blank range, en route to a team-high 19 points. Gasol came to life despite appearing out of sync and sluggish during training camp.

"It was hard to get my legs back after a week of going two-a-days," said Gasol, who didn't take a day off despite playing for Spain all summer in the World Championships. "We were going real hard. Now we're getting closer to the regular season, so it's time to start working toward our goals."

The mandate for Gasol is to bring much of the same.

Last season, Gasol averaged 14.6 points and 9.3 rebounds in 69 games. Against the Thunder, Gasol amassed eight rebounds, three steals and two assists to go with his point total.

But it wasn't just his statistical report that got teammates excited. The pep in his step said it all.

He aggressively pursued the low block and got deep position on offense while swiftly moving on defense to close out the paint.

"He was more aggressive," Griz coach Lionel Hollins said. "He was in the post attacking the basket. It was really his mindset coming into the game, and that was good. We went to him early and he got off, and he got the rest of the team off as well."

Gasol has gone out of his way to discount the effects of going from playing 69 NBA games to practicing and playing for his Spanish national team. But the extended season clearly took its toll. He routinely missed point-blank shots in practice and was slow on defensive rotations.

"You've got to think of how many years he's done (international competition)," Griz forward Rudy Gay said. "I've only done it once, and I'm feeling it. So I understand why he got off to a slow start."

However, Gasol refuses to use his extended season as an excuse.

"I'm never going to complain about playing basketball," Gasol said. "I love playing basketball. It's never about playing too much basketball. Whether the coaches want to rest me is up to them. I know what it is to not to play on a team. I definitely want to play."

Gasol was referring to the days when he sat on the Spanish national team without playing time. But he was one of the integral players this summer with his brother, Pau, sitting out due to injury.

Even though Gasol's Memphis training camp performance left a little to be desired, he returned in the best physical condition ever.

"He's skinnier," Gay said. "He comes back more and more in shape."

Gasol's offseason regimen didn't change. He ran through mountains in Spain and focused on coming back to the Griz with a finely tuned body. Gasol remains one of the most disciplined Grizzlies despite the slow start to training camp when he played passively.

"We've wanted him to look for his shot more and be more aggressive," guard Mike Conley said. "He needed a game to get everything back."

Gasol said his sluggish start was just getting re-adjusted to the NBA game.

"It's been an intense and hard training camp. And we need that," Gasol said. "The only way we're going to get to that next level is by working, and I know we've done that.

"The coaches don't ask you for nothing special. They ask you to work. If you give 100 percent and try to do the right thing, that's all they ask. I'm going to give them that."
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/oct/14/energized/

I feared this would happen with Marc (and Rudy too). I hope Thabeet is ready to log 15 MPG this season.
30t6p3b.gif

We definitely don't need Marc to go down again close to the end of the season like last year.

RealGM Preview:

[h1]
[h1]2010-11 Season Preview: Memphis Grizzlies[/h1]
By: Daniel Leroux
RealGM.com Writer

Gasol_Marc_mem_091125.jpg

October 14, 2010 1:55 AM

2009-2010 Stats
Record: 40-42
Seeding: 10th in the Western Conference
Playoff Result: N/A

What changed since June: Rudy Gay has more money to throw around

There are a few moves of significance for Memphis this year that involve personnel changing addresses, but the biggest long-term story is Rudy Gay getting the preemptive max. It profoundly affects the accounting of the team going forward and should be interesting in terms of if and how it affects negotiations with Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph.

Beyond Rudy, the biggest moves were the addition of Xavier Henry (finally) and General Greivis Vasquez through the draft. Considering Mike Conley, OJ Mayo, and the aforementioned Gay stand ahead of those two on the depth chart, they may not see major time this year but should contribute long-term.

The other substantial move was letting Ronnie Brewer go to Chicago and replacing him with Tony Allen. Allen should be a pivotal backup for Memphis this season.

Memphis’ biggest strength: Starter-quality players

There are shockingly few NBA teams that have a legitimate NBA starter-quality player at each one of the five positions. In Conley, Mayo, Gay, Randolph, and Gasol, Memphis fits into that group. On top of that talent alone, it is worth considering that each one of them is capable of playing a heavy amount of minutes- four of those five played 35 or more minutes a game last season.

Another plus for their five is how young they are: 25-year-old Marc Gasol is the second-oldest starter.

Memphis’ biggest weakness: Lack of identity

Ever since Pau Gasol, Shane Battier, and Mike Miller left Memphis, the team has not possessed a definitive identity that can carry them successfully game to game and season to season. In fact, for much of that time their defining characteristic has been a lack of defense. Hopefully their perimeter athleticism coupled with rebounding from the interior can be enough to make that change, yet they still need a positive way to separate themselves from the rest of the West.

The Big Question: Who is their go-to guy?

The signing of Rudy Gay certainly makes him an obvious answer to this question, but it feels right to go far beyond that. Their best clutch scorer last season (in terms of adjusted PPG courtesy of 82games) was actually Zach Randolph, followed by Mayo and then Gay. While some teams have been able to succeed without having that clear end of the game guy (or group of players, as Orlando did on their Finals run), this problem fits with their overall lack of a clear-cut identity to make their paths to victory a little murkier in close games.

Where the team fits in:

A largely healthy Grizzlies squad (only Marc Gasol played in less than 80 games) finished ten games out of the playoffs and a smidge under .500 last season. This year’s team will test theories of how well a young team can improve just through experience as the roster moves did not affect the guys who played heavy minutes at the end of the season. As such, something pretty close to last year’s result (seed 8-12) seems likely as the bottom of the West has gotten stronger while some of the playoff teams are weaker.
[/h1]

and the Yahoo Team Report:

Coaching Staff:   Head Coach—Lionel Holllins, 3rd year overall (53-68). Assistants—Johnny Davis, Henry Bibby, David Joerger, Barry Hecker, Damon Stoudamire(notes).

Last Season, Remembered:   40-42 (4th in Southwest).

This Season, Predicted:   48-34 (3rd in Southwest), eliminated in first round.

Possible Changes, Predicted:   This is a team that doesn’t figure to do much tinkering, except with its bench. The starting five is written in stone.
[h3]NOTES, QUOTES[/h3]
• C Marc Gasol(notes) seemed to find a groove halfway through the preseason. He came to training camp fatigued from playing for Spain in the World Championships, and from a summer of training by running in the mountains of his native country.

“I’m never going to complain about playing basketball,

Another win to move their preseason record to 7-0. 
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

eek.gif
at Hollins letting Juice play PG in the fourth quarter. He had a few turnovers but helped spark a 16-4 run.

I was analyzing Hollins everytime OJ messed up. You should've seen some of his facial expressions
laugh.gif

Conley has been playing like the 4th pick from the 2007 draft. He outplayed CP3 and even though its pre-season its better than Conley himself being outplayed.

He just seems more confident out there and Rudy's defense is
pimp.gif
 . It seems like everyone is finally putting the pieces together for the team to be successful. Rudy's defense and Conley with his confidence.

Henry also started to stroke it in the 2nd half (nh) and looked good playing beside OJ.

pimp.gif

7-0

Hope conley keeps up the aggressiveness and Gay continues to actually try to play defense..

Playoffs
nerd.gif
pimp.gif

did not know the Grizz were 7-0 in preseason, not bad. hopefully that translates into the season for you guys.

Back
Top Bottom