Official Mens Suits Thread ---- Post all Questions and Tips here...

Theres been a lot of posts that relate to things like this lately and I remember the last one of these was pretty successful, people had a lot of goodinformation to share and others had a lot of questions.

I personally have been looking for/buying new suits lately for a new job that i have that has allowed me to attend the Kentucky Derby and soon the BelmontStakes.

I got 2 suits from Boscov's, which seemed to be a pretty good experience... they have some decent quality stuff for very good prices. I got a Kenneth ColeReaction for $147.99 and a Billy London for $119.99... both good prices for starting off for nice looking suits.

Im still looking for at least 1 more suit for the $250-$400 range... obviously something nice and definitely tailored.

But I figured that many people are in the same boat as I am or at least in a similar situation.. or maybe they just want to get a new suit or know what theyshould be looking for in one.

I'll start the thread off with a little article i found on mensfashion.about.com

lets get some of the fashion heads in here to drop some knowledge
pimp.gif

[h1]Men's Suits - 6 Things to Consider When Shopping for Men's Suits[/h1]
From Daniel Billett,
Your Guide to Men's Fashion / Grooming.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

Men's suits: An ill-fitting suit can be seen from miles away and has a damaging effect on your image. So getting the right fit in a suit and having it tailored is rather important, that is if you have any concern about how you might come across in an interview, to a client or to your peers. The first thing to do, if you haven't already, is get properly measured (which any reputable retailer can do for you). This includes: neck, shoulders, sleeves, chest, waist and inseam. Once you know your size you are free to hit the dressing rooms. And when you do go shopping for men's suits, keep these six things in mind:

Choosing a Fabric
Let's get one thing clear, unless you have a closet full of suits and want something different, worsted wools are your best bet for a suit.
These include gabardines or mid-weight corded wools. You will often find suits that say "Super 100" which are very popular these days--all this means is that the yarn has been twisted more often than the usual 60-80 twist wools. Either way they are considered mid-weight. And good fabric will spring back without wrinkling after it's squeezed. Just remember that worsted wools wear well and are typically good year-round depending on where you live.
The Fit of Your Trousers
Make sure that the waistline of your trousers is comfortable and that you can stick two fingers into the waist while you're wearing them. And as far as pleats are concerned, it's usually a personal preference. However, as a general rule, pleats are better for those with larger tummies and not a good idea for those who are thin. This is because a flat front trousers accentuate your tummy if you have one and pleats help cover it up. And conversely, pleats make a skinny guy look even skinnier, and not in a good way.

The Hem on Your Trouser
Nothing says sloppy more than a pile of fabric at your ankle. Your pants should reach your shoes and have a slight break. Cuffed or uncuffed is your choice, but keep in mind that cuffless makes you look taller if you happen to be a little shorter and cuffs looks better on someone with long legs. Cuffs also appeal to a more mature consumer.

The Length of Your Sleeves
Make sure your sleeve length is right on, otherwise you will look like you borrowed someone else's suit. If the sleeve covers your shirt cuff, it is too long. It should just reach the base of your thumb, revealing a half inch to an inch of your shirt cuff-very classy.

The Waist of the Jacket
The jacket should fit easily across your stomach. The traditional American cut suit with two buttons, which has been a mainstay for many years, is being replaced by suit jackets which are more fitted and have three and four buttons. However, the classic two-button style remains popular, and some two-button jackets offer a fresh twist with higher button placement similar to the three-button style and is often more flattering. Whether your preferred style is classic or modern, look for fitted waistlines that enhance the shape of your body. Getting a close fit at the waist is, do I dare say it?, a good thing (sorry Martha).

The General Fit of Your Suit
When it is all said and done, you should be able to stretch and bend easily in your suit. Make sure that you that you have free movement of your arms. As a test, bring your arms out straight in front of you, and also try sitting in a chair and pretend you are working. You should always be comfortable.

StyleForum.net is very helpful for this. It's like the Niketalk for suits, ties, dress shoes, etc. I learned a lot from the members of that community lastsummer. Definitely recommended.

Anybody have a link to the guide where they showed different celebs with different body types wearing suits? I remember Chuck Lidell being in one of them.

edit: nm found it

SUIT YOUR SHAPE
A GQ primer for the hard-to-fit

So you're not the size of a male model-welcome to the club. Whether you're tall or short, stocky or lanky, there are style secrets to making a suit look right for your body. Here, we take four celebrated body shapes and show you exactly how to look your best-without lifting a weight or counting a calorie.

Before
The Short Man
Apolo Ohno: Gold-medal-winning Olympic speed skater, Dancing with the Stars champ
5'8"165 lbs
"All the suits I buy have to be tailored, no matter what. But it's not just because of my height; it's because I've been skating for so long.My waist is very small, but my legs are just huge. Most really nice suitmakers are Italian, and usually they make suit pants for Italian men. I'm like,Those Italians must have pretty skinny legs."

Don'ts:
Don't wear a longer suit jacket. It just makes your legs look shorter.
• Don't wear fat ties and wide lapels; keep it slim.

After
The 5 Tips Every Short Man Should Know
1) Be honest with yourself. Admit you're short and buy short-length suits.
2) A pant leg with very little break will help you look taller.
3) Show some cuff to lengthen the look of your arms.
4) A peak lapel helps elongate your physique.
5) A lower button stance creates long lines, and that essentially stretches you out.
Suit, $2,120, by Gucci. Shirt, $250, by Ralph Lauren Black Label. Tie, $210, by Dolce & Gabbana. Shoes, $1,100 by Hermés.

A Belt Makes You Look Shorter…
The more pared-down you are, the taller you'll appear. So ditch the belt. Going beltless looks cool, and if your suit fits properly, your pants will stayin place.

Short Man, Slim Shoe
You don't want to look like you've got weights around your ankles. Wear slender shoes.

Before
The Tall Man
Raja Bell: Shooting guard, Phoenix Suns
6'5"210 lbs
"When I first got into the NBA, I tried to buy a couple of suits off the rack, but they didn't fit. To get the length I needed, I also got boxiness.They would have to taper the jacket, but then I felt like I had wings under the armpits. So I started going to a tailor. And that's the key: Pick out agood tailor and just trust him… You want the suit to fit the way you want it to fit, but let him handle the details. That's what he gets paid todo."

Don'ts:
• Don't buy suits with oversize, padded shoulders. They swallow you up, making you look frailer, not bigger.
• Don't wear extra-slim ties. You need ties with a bit of width so they won't appear to elongate your torso.

After
The 5 Tips Every Tall Man Should Know
1) Lighter colors add width to a narrow frame.
2) A two-button suit works great on a tall man-as long as the suit has relatively high-cut lapels.
3) Just because you're tall doesn't mean you need an extra-long suit size. Try on a long first.
4) Keep the amount of cuff you show to a minimum.
5) Ask for a decent amount of break in your trousers, so your long legs don't look too long.
Suit, $1,830, by Prada at Barneys New York. Shirt, $640, by Jil Sander at Barneys New York. Tie, $150, by Gucci. Shoes, $315, by Allen-Edmonds.
Tall Man, Rounded Shoe
Take a pass on those pointy dress shoes-you don't want to make your feet look longer than they are. Opt instead for a slightly rounder toe, to help keep your foot size in check.

Get in the Loop
After you knot your tie, never have enough length left to reach the back loop? Don't buy a new, longer tie; just ask your tailor to move up the loop.

Divide and Conquer
When you're tall, you want your clothes to play down your height-to keep things in proportion. Accessories that cut across your body, such as belts, quarter-folded pocket squares, and horizontally striped ties, help accomplish this.

Before
The Large Man
Horatio Sanz: Actor/comedian, Saturday Night Live alum
5'9"250 lbs
"One of the problems I have is with shirts: Getting my neck size to match my body size is difficult, and sometimes the collar is too high, too-I end upfeeling choked. With pants, I wear mine a little high, and sometimes they ride up too much or feel like they're going to fall off if they're not highenough. Basically, I've spent my life trying to avoid wearing suits on a regular basis. The last suit I bought from a store was for my junior prom. It waskind of silver in color, and my mom adjusted it for me."

Don'ts:
• Don't wear a roomy suit. It doesn't make you look slimmer-it makes you look sloppy.
• Don't go untucked.

After
The 5 Tips Every Large Man Should Know
1) Wear a pocket square. It brings the focus to your chest, not your gut.
2) Keep your jacket buttoned unless you're sitting down.
3) Wear a simple, elegant shirt. Avoid plaids and checks.
4) You can wear flat-front pants. They are engineered to be comfortable, even without pleats. 5) Avoid superskinny ties and lapels. Proportion with your torso is key.
Suit, $2,485, and shirt, $235, by Ermenegildo Zegna. Tie, $170, by Dsquared. Shoes, $795, by Church's. Cuff links and pocket square by Paul Stuart. Watch by Cartier.

Suspend Your Weight
Avoid having to choose between strapping your pants above or below your belly: Wear suspenders and float your waist.

Big Man, Solid Shoe
Choose shoes that have a substantial sole. You need something solid to anchor your weight.

Before
The Athletic Man
Chuck Liddell: Ultimate Fighting champion
6'2"205 lbs
"I hear 'You actually look good in a suit!' a lot. It's kind of a sideways compliment. Like, What, you don't expect me to look good in asuit? But the fact is, it's hard finding something that fits right everywhere. Some of the shirts I get are too short in the torso because of my shoulders.And I have a pretty big neck for my size-between eighteen and a half and nineteen inches. A normal shirt isn't made for that big of a neck. If it is, theythink you're three feet wide and weigh 300 pounds."
Don'ts:
• Don't wear peak lapels. Your chest and shoulders are broad enough-no need to accentuate them.
• Don't wear a pocket square. It's not necessary to call more attention to your already proud chest.

After
The 5 Tips Every Athletic Man Should Know
1) A solid build doesn't mean your suit should be a size too large.
2) Two-button jackets sync up with the V shape of your torso.
3) Low-collar shirts work well with a thicker neck.
4) Your jacket will likely need to be taken in at the sides.
5) Yes, you can wear narrow-cut trousers. It's your chest that needs room, not your ankles.
Suit, $1,995, by Dolce & Gabbana. Shirt, $695, and tie, $135, by Giorgio Armani. Shoes, $575, by Marc Jacobs.

Fit Torso, Fitted Shirt
Look for shirts labeled "slim" or "athletic." You don't need excess fabric hanging off that toned midsection of yours.

Strong Man, Solid Shoe
You don't want anything clunky on your feet, but you also don't want to look like you're wearing ballet flats.

SUIT YOUR SHAPE: Watch the video and slide show for more tips on getting the perfectfit, brought to life by GQ's fashion team

Source: mens.style.com

DO NOT fold your suit. You will be amazed at how many people I see at conferences with their suits in their luggage.

DO roll up your ties after you wear them. Never leave a tie tied. If you do it will destroy your tie and shorten its use considerably. If you roll it up, itwill increase the tie's life and remove all wrinkles. Never iron your tie or iron it as little as possible.

I have more but these are some big ones. Will post more later.

As stated in the article, it's all about the fit. My biggest suggestion to NT would be to wear dress shoes. For the most part, lace-up dress shoes areconsidered dressy while others can be considered semi-casual.

To be more technical:

Shoes and belt must match colors.
Socks must match the color of the trousers.
Dress shirt sleeves must be shown about half an inch to an inch past the suit jacket sleeves.
Navy and Charcoal (or dark gray and drak blue) are more business oriented than black.
Vertical striped dress shirt with vertical striped or vice versa, are a big NO!
Always tuck in the dress shirt (this shouldn't even be mentioned but then again this is NT)
Different sized people requires different type of suits.
Personal suggestion: Stick with two button suits, they just look better. No double breated suits either, unless you can pull off, which is difficult to do.

I have more but I'll leave it at that for now.

I love ties, almost like a tie-head. Can never have too many ties. Maybe later I'll post up my ties, I have like 10 or so.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I love ties, almost like a tie-head. Can never have too many ties. Maybe later I'll post up my ties, I have like 10 or so.

Im the same way, i can never pass up a nice tie.. plus if you do it right they last forever, and they never really go out of style IMO
pimp.gif

Another thing about the suits... if you're looking for a suit and dont want to spend a lot... take your time, many places have good deals once in awhile and if you start looking you'll start noticing these deals much more.

Originally Posted by RFX45

As stated in the article, it's all about the fit. My biggest suggestion to NT would be to wear dress shoes. For the most part, lace-up dress shoes are considered dressy while others can be considered semi-casual.

To be more technical:

Dress shirt sleeves must be shown about half an inch to an inch past the suit jacket sleeves.
Navy and Charcoal (or dark gray and drak blue) are more business oriented than black.
Always tuck in the dress shirt (this shouldn't even be mentioned but then again this is NT)
Personal suggestion: Stick with two button suits, they just look better. No double breated suits either, unless you can pull off, which is difficult to do.

All those I put in bold feel are extremely subjective. A Black suit with a colored shirt, nice tie as a contrasting color, is just as business as a greyone. Depends the season as well.

Socks can be a nice offset since you'll see only a few inches of them, they don't need to match completely to the trousers. IE - Nacy socks, greytrousers and black shoes work..it gives some flair.

The cut of the jacket to the suit is also subjective. While I belive you need to leave some room, it doesn't have to be .5 inch, it can be a little lessdepending on your body type. I wouldn't go past 1 inch though.

No they don't. It should ideally be similar, but it doesn't need to match. Also, if you're wearing a bright colored shirt (pink, for instance),with a navy or tan suit, then add some color to the sock to match the shirt.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

As stated in the article, it's all about the fit. My biggest suggestion to NT would be to wear dress shoes. For the most part, lace-up dress shoes are considered dressy while others can be considered semi-casual.

To be more technical:

All those I put in bold feel are extremely subjective. A Black suit with a colored shirt, nice tie as a contrasting color, is just as business as a grey one. Depends the season as well.

Socks can be a nice offset since you'll see only a few inches of them, they don't need to match completely to the trousers. IE - Nacy socks, grey trousers and black shoes work..it gives some flair.

The cut of the jacket to the suit is also subjective. While I belive you need to leave some room, it doesn't have to be .5 inch, it can be a little less depending on your body type. I wouldn't go past 1 inch though.
True, thats why i said to be technical. A black suit is just mroe suited for night time, formal events and funerals. I just don't see black as agood look in the business environment.

As for socks, I always make it a rule to match. I know it is barely seen but when it is seen, I believe it is btter that it does not attract attention.

As for the cut and sleeves part, I say half an inch as a rule of thumb. It is also to point out that the dress shirts sleeve should be shown but not too much.I have seen too many people wear suits where the sleeves are completely hidden. At times it's not necessarily the cut of the jacket either, it's justthat they choose not to.

490045782E_2.jpg

Gianfranco Ferre....Copped for my prom in dark charcoal grey...im skinny as hell so it's great....

to go with this tie by armani
NMN05KM_mn.jpg

and shirt from
http://www.takumi-clothing.com/

thats my prom outfit along with these (Tod's)
prodImage.ms

Great combo of stuff and it is my first real suit. Expensive but will last me a while and no better investment than a great suit

For the immature heads here on NT I'll give you all a pre-emptive no-mo:

That suit/shirt/tie combo Raja Bell got on is a great look. I've been looking for a similar type of look, but at a slightly more affordable price point. Ithink that tie may have to be purchased though. Man I wish I had the money to just buy that outfit right now...I've been looking for it since I read thatissue of GQ.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

No they don't. It should ideally be similar, but it doesn't need to match. Also, if you're wearing a bright colored shirt (pink, for instance), with a navy or tan suit, then add some color to the sock to match the shirt.
It doesn't have to match but very similar. I also view matching socks with a colorful dress shirt as a bit tacky. I don't recommend it when itcomes to wearing suits. Now if you're wearing a casual outfit and maybe even a casual cotton suit or seersucker, then it can be pulled off. Otherwise itjust looks too tacky.

Originally Posted by Vince Dirty

490045782E_2.jpg

Gianfranco Ferre....Copped for my prom in dark charcoal grey...im skinny as hell so it's great....

NMN05KM_mn.jpg

and shirt from

prodImage.ms

Great combo of stuff and it is my first real suit. Expensive but will last me a while and no better investment than a great suit
I applaud you for not wearing sneakers to your prom but loafers aren't the best shoe for prom unless it is being held at a yacht. Those loafers arejust too casual.

To be more technical:

All those I put in bold feel are extremely subjective. A Black suit with a colored shirt, nice tie as a contrasting color, is just as business as a grey one. Depends the season as well.

Socks can be a nice offset since you'll see only a few inches of them, they don't need to match completely to the trousers. IE - Nacy socks, grey trousers and black shoes work..it gives some flair.

The cut of the jacket to the suit is also subjective. While I belive you need to leave some room, it doesn't have to be .5 inch, it can be a little less depending on your body type. I wouldn't go past 1 inch though.
True, thats why i said to be technical. A black suit is just mroe suited for night time, formal events and funerals. I just don't see black as a good look in the business environment.

As for socks, I always make it a rule to match. I know it is barely seen but when it is seen, I believe it is btter that it does not attract attention.

As for the cut and sleeves part, I say half an inch as a rule of thumb. It is also to point out that the dress shirts sleeve should be shown but not too much. I have seen too many people wear suits where the sleeves are completely hidden. At times it's not necessarily the cut of the jacket either, it's just that they choose not to.

Definitely. I respect where your coming from and your opinion. I do what I mentioned just because it puts my own personal touch on it.

I
laugh.gif
when I saw Marv Albert during last nights Laker game. They cameback from half time and the sleeve of his suit jacket was like half way up his forearm.

To be more technical:

I agree with the line about the socks. I have a lot of black ones, but every once in a while I throw in something different just to change it up.

1 inch should definitely be the limit on the jacket cut. I haven't seen anyone do double breasted in a while. Does anyone on here own one¿ 2 buttonsaren't bad either, but I have a 4 button black one that fits pretty well. I woudn't go past 4 though unless you're a pastor...

Oh I haven't seen this posted yet, but you should never EVER button all of the buttons on a single breasted suit. If it's a 2 button, button thetop one. If it's 3 button, do the top two. 4- top 3. Always keep the bottom one unbuttoned.

Originally Posted by NCTwin

To be more technical:

I agree with the line about the socks. I have a lot of black ones, but every once in a while I throw in something different just to change it up.

1 inch should definitely be the limit on the jacket cut. I haven't seen anyone do double breasted in a while. Does anyone on here own one¿ 2 buttons aren't bad either, but I have a 4 button black one that fits pretty well. I woudn't go past 4 though unless you're a pastor...

Oh I haven't seen this posted yet, but you should never EVER button all of the buttons on a single breasted suit. If it's a 2 button, button the top one. If it's 3 button, do the top two. 4- top 3. Always keep the bottom one unbuttoned.
Wow, a 4-button suit. I've haven't seen anyone wear one in person. I could imagine it being real difficult to pull off or the person must bereal tall. If it is black, they might mistake as being part of the Matrix.

Good suggestion on buttoning.

Originally Posted by Vince Dirty

490045782E_2.jpg

NMN05KM_mn.jpg

and shirt from

prodImage.ms

I applaud you for not wearing sneakers to your prom but loafers aren't the best shoe for prom unless it is being held at a yacht. Those loafers are just too casual.

Yeah I realize those shoes are casual. I bought them in Italy last summer for a fairly good price with no intentions of wearing them to prom...I'mstill in the market for a new pair but that is what I have for now...maybe you could point me in the right direction...I'm 18 and have money but not$575...one day tho

Also, you can get amazing deals at the Nordstrom Rack. Almost every suit in there is from the mainline store and they always have Hugo Boss, Burberry, Abboud,and you can even stumble across Armani, Versace, and Canali on occasion.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

No they don't. It should ideally be similar, but it doesn't need to match. Also, if you're wearing a bright colored shirt (pink, for instance), with a navy or tan suit, then add some color to the sock to match the shirt.
It doesn't have to match but very similar. I also view matching socks with a colorful dress shirt as a bit tacky. I don't recommend it when it comes to wearing suits. Now if you're wearing a casual outfit and maybe even a casual cotton suit or seersucker, then it can be pulled off. Otherwise it just looks too tacky.
My socks are usually the most flamboyantly eye catching thing on me, whereas the rest of my outfit are usually neutral colors. I always getcompliments, especially from girls.

Back
Top Bottom