Official Miami Heat Offseason Thread: EPIC OFFSEASON! YES WE DID!

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

i never really watched mike miller play... all i know about him is that he is a 48% 3 point shooter...

In the last game we had with the Wizards, Miller was balling on us. We ended up winning though. From what I saw he's a hustle player and has good energy. 

This is going to be going down all game at least 8 3PT attempts a night.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by humpasaurus rex

This is going to be going down all game at least 8 3PT attempts a night.
pimp.gif

I'm not saying Mike Miller isn't a killer behind the 3 point line and can't shoot during the game, but it's certainly not gonna be an open practice court out there.

with the way lebron and wade drive in the lane... there will be a lot of kick outs.... wade has been doing it with qrich, cook, chalmers, beasley... we just need someone consistant... chalmers and miller are gonna have a field day...

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

They still need some youthful exuberance and athleticism imo; too many over the hill guys just trying to get a ring. I'd like to see them "take a chance" on a guy like Gerald Green (38% 3 pt shooter), Von Wafer (lock down defender), James White (potentially lockdown defender), JR Giddens, and an athletic big like DJ Mbenga, Marcus Haislip, Donnell Harvey, and an established guy you can steal like Rasual Butler, Marquis Daniels, or Josh Howard. On another note, I want to see Jackie Manuel get a shot in the L. I think he's an NBA caliber defender and hustle guy with a high bball IQ

I came to post something similar to the bolded section. These veterans that they're picking up don't have too much to offer. There are some solid role players out there that are young that can be had for the amount that these veterans will be making, the only thing is that I don't think too many guys are willing to leave money on the table.

Originally Posted by romedadude

They still need some youthful exuberance and athleticism imo; too many over the hill guys just trying to get a ring. I'd like to see them "take a chance" on a guy like Gerald Green (38% 3 pt shooter), Von Wafer (lock down defender), James White (potentially lockdown defender), JR Giddens, and an athletic big like DJ Mbenga, Marcus Haislip, Donnell Harvey, and an established guy you can steal like Rasual Butler, Marquis Daniels, or Josh Howard. On another note, I want to see Jackie Manuel get a shot in the L. I think he's an NBA caliber defender and hustle guy with a high bball IQ

I came to post something similar to the bolded section. These veterans that they're picking up don't have too much to offer. There are some solid role players out there that are young that can be had for the amount that these veterans will be making, the only thing is that I don't think too many guys are willing to leave money on the table.

its is better to have veteran role players than young ones. plus minutes shorten up come playoff time.

Sorry DatZ but we only have 2 "over the hill guys" . Big Z & Juwan can still contribute.

I want nothing to do w/any scrub from your list except the ones that obviously didn't get crossed out

Originally Posted by h3at23

How is what Dade Boy & I saying him going to Europe/oversee stupid? While they're overseas, the Heat send trainers over there to work with them. That's how the Heat and other teams do it. They don't just send them to the NBDL.

Ever thought to yourself that we might just know more of what's going on with our team then someone that doesn't follow the team closely?

I don't think Pittman is lazy & like I said in my last post, we might also just keep him & V on the roster and develop them that way but most likely wont see the floor much if at all
You probably don't realize that Nick Arison is one of my really good friends and we went to Duke together.  You really think you know more about the Miami Heat internally than I do?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

How is what Dade Boy & I saying him going to Europe/oversee stupid? While they're overseas, the Heat send trainers over there to work with them. That's how the Heat and other teams do it. They don't just send them to the NBDL.

Ever thought to yourself that we might just know more of what's going on with our team then someone that doesn't follow the team closely?

I don't think Pittman is lazy & like I said in my last post, we might also just keep him & V on the roster and develop them that way but most likely wont see the floor much if at all
You probably don't realize that Nick Arison is one of my really good friends and we went to Duke together.� You really think you know more about the Miami Heat internally than I do?
laugh.gif

a) How am I suppose to realize who you claim you're friends with
smh.gif
& b)� I dont care who you're friends with. All I'm telling you is how the Miami Heat have been doing things.

Sorry DatZ but we only have 2 "over the hill guys" . Big Z & Juwan can still contribute.

I want nothing to do w/any scrub from your list except the ones that obviously didn't get crossed out

Big Z and JH aren't giving you much though. Z can make pick and pop jumpers, and ditto JH and that's pretty much it. Defensively, nothing from either of those 2. And occassionally Z will get lost and turn out to be right under the basket and he'lll throw up a little hook that misses but tap it back in without jumping. If you guys land Barnes, that'll be a big signing but still I'm not convinced that you guys have a full lineup yet. Furthermore, how much energy/legs are the big 3 going to have to expend defensively now, given that nobody else on the team plays any, save for maybe Haslem who even he has his faults defensively?

You could maybe build a zone-esque D similar to what we do down here in OKC or like the Spurs run/ran with their towers, but with old %#@!@ like Z and JH down there, even if they get in position right every time they're just going to get dunked on. Trust me, I know, Krstc did it all season, smart enough to get to the spot but not athletic enough to really do anything.

Now Barnes, that'll be big if you land him.

Josh Powell is another guy I think would be great. Brian Cook any for the end of the roster? A big that can "space out" the paint and make teams pay for doubling.

Big Z and JH aren't giving you much though. Z can make pick and pop jumpers, and ditto JH and that's pretty much it. Defensively, nothing from either of those 2. And occassionally Z will get lost and turn out to be right under the basket and he'lll throw up a little hook that misses but tap it back in without jumping. If you guys land Barnes, that'll be a big signing but still I'm not convinced that you guys have a full lineup yet. Furthermore, how much energy/legs are the big 3 going to have to expend defensively now, given that nobody else on the team plays any, save for maybe Haslem who even he has his faults defensively?

You could maybe build a zone-esque D similar to what we do down here in OKC or like the Spurs run/ran with their towers, but with old %#@!@ like Z and JH down there, even if they get in position right every time they're just going to get dunked on. Trust me, I know, Krstc did it all season, smart enough to get to the spot but not athletic enough to really do anything.

Now Barnes, that'll be big if you land him.

Josh Powell is another guy I think would be great. Brian Cook any for the end of the roster? A big that can "space out" the paint and make teams pay for doubling.

I agree on Big Z n Juwan & that's the contribution I was talking about on the court. Off the court is were they'll also have a big impact.  If he signs (which I expect soon) we'll have Joel Anthony that is mini Zo on D. The guy will be better this season & blocks everything.

I'm not worried how this team will be built because we have a genius pulling the strings in Riles. Everyone said it would be the Big 3 & scrubs and that forming to be the furthest thing from the truth. If we sign Matt, that another great signingbut that's not set in stone

Oh my god @ That WCW/LeBron video. That was good work man. Hahahah

But yea:

Your Groove thing

The Summer Groove has released its list of players tentatively scheduled to participate in Sunday's 1 p.m. charity exhibition at AmericanAirlines Arena: Alonzo Mourning, Dwyane Wade, Rajon Rondo, Samuel Dalembert, Tim Hardaway, DuJuan Summers, Mike James, Caron Butler, Quentin Richardson, Darius Miles, C.J. Watson, Brandon Bass, Arron Afflalo, Ty Lawson, Dorell Wright, Mo Peterson, and Daequan Cook.

Did Donnell Harvey's name seriously get mentioned? The Heat might as well take a run at Chris Porter while they're at it.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Did Donnell Harvey's name seriously get mentioned? The Heat might as well take a run at Chris Porter while they're at it.

I was a fan when he was in the league. I guess that would have been a while ago in retrospect since I hopped off the Mavs' wagon so long agol. Still point remains the same, someone athletic who can defend, hustle, and give max effort, a "glue" guy to allow the Big 3 to do what they do best and save their legs for offense.

Also, why hasn't Richard Jefferson signed with anyone?

Welp, I guess Pittman isn't going overseas nor to the NBDL.

[h1]Heat re-signs Joel Anthony, finalizes Dexter Pittman, Mike Miller[/h1]
Joel Anthony, the third-year shot-blocker who could set up as the Heat's starting center this coming season alongside Dwyane Wade, LeBron James and Chris Bosh, signed off Friday on a five-year, $18 million contract.

The Heat also announced the signing of second-round draft choice Dexter Pittman, the burly center out of the University of Texas, who currently is participating in the team's summer league in Las Vegas. He received a three-year deal.

More beef will arrive over the weekend, with Cleveland Cavaliers free-agent center Zydrunas Ilgauskas to finalize his two-year, $2.4 million contract and center Jamaal Magloire to take a third year with the team at the veteran's minimum.

The Heat also is expected to close out its deal this weekend with Portland Trail Blazers free-agent power forward Juwan Howard, another player who has played in the middle over his career.

Of all the possibilities at center, Anthony provides a youthful deterrence at the rim that might best mesh with the Heat's star-laden lineup.

Anthony, who was added by the Heat as an undrafted free agent out of UNLV in 2007, had been a restricted free agent, with the Heat holding the right to match any outside offer. Instead, he signed directly with the team.

"This contract with Joel Anthony is a testament to the man who is second to none, who has worked hard and deserved this," Riley said. "We felt that what he has done over the last couple of years in developing his game, his body and his knowledge warrants this reward.

"If other NBA non-drafted free agents want a prototype to follow, Joel Anthony is that man."

Anthony, 27, made 16 starts last season, with the Heat 13-3 in those games. He tied for 15th place in the league with 109 blocked shots and 18th in the NBA in blocked shots per game.

A member of the Canadian national team, Anthony will participate later this summer in the World Championships in Turkey.

As for Pittman, the 300-pound-plus big man will add bulk to the power rotation.

"One of our priorities in the draft was to make sure that we could augment the depleted center position with the loss of Jermaine O'Neal," Riley said of the addition of the No. 32 overall draft pick.

Riley hinted of a developmental season for Pittman.

"Dexter has the size and agility to be a very productive player for us in the long run," he said.

Nonetheless, Pittman was signed to a three-year contract, an unusual step for a second-round pick, but similar to the approach the team took two years ago with Mario Chalmers.

The Heat's other two 2010 second-round picks, Jarvis Varnado and Da'Sean Butler, could possibly now be stashed overseas for the season.

Friday proved to be a busy day for the Heat, with Riley also formally announcing the signing of Washington Wizards free-agent swingman Mike Miller.

"From the first moment that we met Mike on July 1," Riley said of the start of the free-agency period, "it seemed like it would be a match made in heaven.

"We consider him to be the finest perimeter shooter in the NBA. But he also he is a multi-faceted player who can rebound, handle the ball and make plays. We expect big things from him."

Miller currently is positioned to play as a sixth man, although he could become the starting shooting guard if Wade is recast at his rookie position at point guard.

Miller was signed to a five-year deal in the $30 million range. He was voted NBA Rookie of the Year in 2001 after being drafted No. 5 overall by the Orlando Magic as a sophomore out of the University of Florida, where he was a roommate of current Heat power forward Udonis Haslem.

Miller also was named NBA Sixth Man of the Year following the 2005-06 season with the Memphis Grizzlies.

This past season, Miller averaged 10.9 points, 6.2 rebounds and 3.9 assists while shooting .501 from the field and .480 on 3-pointers for the Wizards.

Miller, who will wear No. 13, also has played for the Minnesota Timberwolves during his 10-year career.

With Anthony, Pittman and Miller, the Heat now has eight players under contract for 2010-11, when also counting Wade, James, Bosh, Haslem and Chalmers. Ilgauskas and Howard will lift that number to 10, with teams allowed to dress 12 players on game nights and carry as many as 15 during the regular season.

Good move, he will play some in the D League though. Remember he can be sent down and back up a max of 4 times. And with Pat Riley's bodyfat % obsession, hopefully he can pull a Diop and get himself even more mobile and athletic and he'll really be a steal.

Damn, it doesn't look like Butler will be signed.

I guess him getting injured in the final four was a godsend.  If he was healthy, he probably wouldn't have landed in Miami.  But now that he's there, he may not even make the squad.  (Who am I kidding, he probably never would have seen PT.  
laugh.gif
)

We'll never know (if he doesn't get signed). 

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Damn, it doesn't look like Butler will be signed.

I guess him getting injured in the final four was a godsend.  If he was healthy, he probably wouldn't have landed in Miami.  But now that he's there, he may not even make the squad.  (Who am I kidding, he probably never would have seen PT.  
laugh.gif
)

We'll never know (if he doesn't get signed). 
Yea, it's tough to sign someone when you have no clue what the finished product is going to look like.  Feel bad for dude but he'll get a chance somewhere (Europe) when all said and done. 

He seems like the kind of guy who would actually appreciate the experience of living, learning, and playing over in a European country and not just look at it as simply a paycheck.

Back
Top Bottom