Official Minimalist Post (Free Outback Steak Dinner Page 4)

Originally Posted by af1 1982

I can somewhat dig it. I like things minimalistic in the sense of design. I like clean and simple looking cars and sneakers.

Also, I've somewhat taken a minimalistic approach to clothing. A plain v-neck, Jeans, and sneakers. Most comfortable and versatile outfit yet so simple.
More so this for me. There are certain things that I like and I don't think I'm ever going to give up...

In a living sense, the happiest I ever was when I rented a small ++% room in the middle of DC...all it had was a bed, desk, and closet and that was the most productive year. Nothing else to take my mind off my tasks (work and class). Kick started my productive ways which I feel still continue today.

lol...
i've been broke my whole life and in the country eating greens, chicken, ramen ...wearing the same clothes over and over , not having cable and anything nice and i can't see me continuing to live like that, i mean whats the point in working or going to college just to live like a homeless man? its not a sin to live a nice life why not enjoy and treat yourself

I've had this mindset since I was younger my folks used to refer to me as a scrooge b/c I would rarely spend any money but once I started my first job I started losing my way
Never paid for cable

I've only had 3 cell phones since my first one @ 15 just got my first smart phone last year at 24

Donated about 10 pairs of kicks last month been slowing getting rid of my "collection" since 09

I've only bought 5-6 pairs of kicks this year as opposed to about 3 pairs a month in previous years

I put off getting a new truck because my car works just fine.

Slowing working my way back
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

its kinda BS.......
all comes down too how much money one has in life..............for example you have high end minimalist.......

i believe that quality over quantity but still they spend more than someone who is broke

eating noodles, no tv, no clothes etc, thats just cuz youre broke.

do minimalist not travel? cuz travel cost money, lots of money.

life is all about balance

I just bought a new mouse when I have 2 perfectly good mice.

Come at me bro.

But I dont own a tv, cable, haven't bought sneakers in a few years. Wear the same 4 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shoes (play off 12s and toms). Ive been thinking of giving away my sneakers since I'm too lazy to list them for sale and having to deal with idiot buyers.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

See, this is where you are wrong. 

The ideology behind minimalism is to avoid waste.  Your resources are scrutinized and every purchase is justified.  That has nothing to do with being broke. 

This thread's getting kinda long... better make the official minimalist post vol. 2.

Originally Posted by swendro88

This thread's getting kinda long... better make the official minimalist post vol. 2.

I see you have no sig and no avatar.  You are part of the movement and you don't even realize it. 

I can dig it. The only thing that I'm different for is the food section. While I agree on not eating out a lot and no fast food, I am willing to spend more on healthy and nutritious food. Same goes for other things that promote health. If there's one thing worth spending money on, that's a high quality of health and a long life as a result of it.
I guess one more thing that I spend a fair amount on that should be changed is books. I need to embrace the fact that libraries prove to be a very valuable resource.

Originally Posted by Ghenges

Originally Posted by swendro88

I see you have no sig and no avatar.  You are part of the movement and you don't even realize it. 

I've been part of the movement since Feb 22, 2009 thanks to JRose. Posting on Niketalk has never been better.

So there are a handful of novels, movies and short stories that I've read that helped me want to become a minimalist.

The Pursuit of Happyness - movie

The Grapes of Wrath - novel

To Build A Fire - short story

If you get a chance, check those out.  Really makes you appreciate your necessities and question the need for excess. 

Originally Posted by Al Audi

its kinda BS.......
all comes down too how much money one has in life..............for example you have high end minimalist.......

i believe that quality over quantity but still they spend more than someone who is broke

do minimalist not travel? cuz travel cost money, lots of money.

life is all about balance

The only thing I agree with in here. i mean cmon no dvr??? not buying a drink while your out??? only 3 pairs of shoes??

I think thats cause of financial reasons, what are you gonna do die with all your money in the bank

Here's how I've lived the last 3 years...

Driving my Explorer with over 160k miles. I don't want a new car, a new car is expensive. Even a slightly used one unless I can pay in cash. I don't want full coverage or a 72 month loan like most people are getting now
sick.gif
  The car depreciates quicker than you can pay it off.
Paid off my credit card which had 2k on it due to dumb purchases (IE shoes I'll never wear)
I don't buy shoes any more. Maybe 2 pair a year max.
Paid off my entire student loan debt. 18 months to pay that bad boy off. Debt free. It feels good, real good.
No HD/DVR package and I work for the cable company. I get the regular cable free, and also a discount on my internet.
My fun consists of hanging with my girlfriend, playing pickup ball about 3 times a week, and regular sessions of Halo Reach.
I only will have fast food about twice a week max. And I usually only get the value items. Like at Wendy's a value drink, value fry, and a jr bacon cheeseburger.

I'm stuck in a crossroad of upgrading my soon to be dying vehicle, and saving to buy a home. But I really don't have a lot for a home saved. I want to try to get about 20% down at least so my payments are cheaper with no PMI. I also want to start my Roth IRA, and maybe increase my current 401k. PS I'm only 25. I hope that I can change my family tree with saving and living frugal.

I live a boring lifestyle haha.

Originally Posted by jasoner27

On that road as we speak....Once I had to start selling things to make rent, I realized everything I have/had was for nothing....I have most of my collection, but I sold anything that will make me any money (except my Ugly Duckling Pack...can't part with those
embarassed.gif
)...Sold all my L.V. stuff  
frown.gif
/phone/360/clothing/etc.

I'm not one to sell things and take a lost, but I figured if I have more than enough then I wouldn't have to buy more and I been doing good....I still browse for certain things here and there, but I've held myself back from buying because I got more important things I have to get paid. (backed up bills/back taxes
30t6p3b.gif
)

The worst was having a phone plan worth 80+ dollars a month when I hardly used my phone; just had it to keep up with the Iphone propaganda (haven't had a phone in the past 5+ months). Anyone who wants to talk to me can hit me on the interwebz or wait til they see me...Only thing on my mind as of late is being around fam, finishing school, getting into a career and SAVING. My next big "materialistic" purchase will hopefully be to own a decent home, but it will be years until I make that dream a reality....Keep yourself around positive/non materialistic people and you'll see/be the change you want to become. 
smokin.gif

Stay strong my friends.
I can attest to this mentality.  I just got a job and all I'm focused on right now is saving to own a home in the next couple of years.  I got a strong support group in my core group of friends.  We're all chasing financial independence.  Like my man HOV said, "@!%! rich, lets get wealthy."

I completely agree op. My family just moved and while cleaning out our house i realized how much useless #!## we had stored up. For me, life really seems to be about the things you experience, the relationships you forge, and the memories you make. Driving a brand-new car or owning 30 pairs of Nikes really doesn't add anything of value to your life.

we in the same boat OP although i hit this stage awhile ago. no phone btw. doing it big, I am not. 
smokin.gif

Not sure if it counts as being a minimalist but Im putting more effort into conscious spending as a opposed to spending money arbitrarily. Basically I use most of my income on stuff that means the most to me and viciously cut back on things least meaningful.

Back
Top Bottom