Official Minnesota Timberwolves 2012 Off-Season Thread ... Andrei Kirilenko signed for 2 years/20 mi

eek.gif
 kahn making moves

Kahn is striking out.

Big time.

No Nicolas Batum, no Courtney Lee, no Jordan Hill...

I don't care that the Batum thing was out of our hands. If you tie your hands with that, you better be right. And he wasn't. A lot of FA's came and went while we were clearing cap space for him AND the three days we were waiting for the Blazers to match or not.

I really don't know a lot about Steimsma but whatever. They should try now to keep Tolliver since AR is gone.

Did that Wayne deal to Memphis go through?

Turiaf? Foye again? Really no guys left that's out there.

I know on Twitter a lot of Wolves reporters or whatever are calling us to make a move for Iggy.

- Wolves have moved Ellington to Memphis for Dante Cunningham
- They are "close" to a three-team trade that would involve sending Wes Johnson and a future #1 to the Suns in order to clear up cap space.
- The target is then AK47 for reportedly $9 mil per year contract.

Kahn is in a rough spot (maybe rough is not the right word). Adelman has told him he is in it to win now and that is it. The team has to sacrifice the future in order to win short term and Adelman and his son also have a huge influence on guys they are looking at and signing. More influence than the national media will ever tell you.

Rick Adelman is impatient, Glen Taylor is impatient, Kevin Love is impatient, and the fans are impatient. That's what we have to remember when we view this offseason.

Right now from the looks of things the Wolves are scrambling to salvage something and they knew this could happen because they couldn't expect to land every target they wanted. Personally I don't even care anymore, I just want to see wins and I'm done worrying about our draft pick status of the future because we blow the picks every year.

So Let's say that Wes deal does go through. As Jerry Zgoda noted today, that leaves this for Kahn:

- Traded #6 pick Flynn
- Traded #4 pick W Johnson
- Traded #18 pick (for M Webster)
- Traded #28 pick Ellington
- Traded #23 pick that became Lazar Hayward
- Has looked to trade #2 pick D Williams

At this point just give Adelman guys that can play, I dont care how much we are paying for them as long as they figure out the cap and better yet as long as we still could be a player next summer too we can't forget that. This is going to be Rubio's low-key season most likely...followed by full throttle 2013-14 season.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was too much money to give Andrei, but it's better than doing nothing with the capspace I guess? Is that looking at it in too bright of a light?

PG - Ricky Rubio, Luke Ridnour, Malcolm Lee
SG - Brandon Roy, JJ Barea, Alexey Schved
SF - Andrei Kirilenko, Chase Budinger
PF - Kevin Love, Derrick Williams, Dante Cunningham
C - Nikola Pekovic, Greg Stiemsma

And I just posted this in the NBA Off-Season Thread...

Slide Derrick in behind Kevin Love.

Which is funny and also confusing, because with the endless reports of all the weight he's lost to play out on the wing, and then Kahn goes out and trades for Chase Budinger (a guy who will surely get playing time for Rick Adelman), and signs Andrei Kirilenko (Euroleague Player of the Year in 2011-2012).

How does Derrick Williams fit in?

Opening up against Boogie and the 8 guard rotation that is of the Kings Fri. Nov. 2

By month, the schedule breaks down as follows: November (7 home, 8 away = 15 total, December (6 home, 6 away = 12 total), January (6 home, 9 away = 15 total), February (8 home, 5 away = 13 total), March (9 home, 8 away = 17 total), April (5 home, 5 away = 10 total).

By day, the schedule breaks down as follows: Monday (4 home, 7 away = 11 total), Tuesday (2 home, 6 away = 8 total), Wednesday (12 home, 8 away = 20 total), Thursday (2 home, 3 away = 5 total), Friday (9 home, 8 away = 17 total), Saturday (8 home, 5 away = 13 total), Sunday (4 home, 4 away = 8 total).

The Wolves enjoy one six-game homestand (Jan. 30-Feb. 8), one four-game homestand (March 27-April 1) and one three-game homestand (Nov. 14-21).

Minnesota has two four-game roadtrips: Nov 23-28 (POR, GS, SAC, LAC) and Jan. 9-14 (OKC, NO, SA, DAL). The Wolves will have three separate three-game stints on the road, all coming in the second half of the season: Feb. 26-March 2 (PHO, LAL, POR), March 19-22 (MEM, SAC, PHO) and April 9-12 (GS, LAC, UTAH).

Minnesota will play on national television 14 times this season, most since the 2005-06 campaign: Eight times on NBA TV (11/4 at TOR, 11/5 at Brooklyn, 11/28 at LAC, Feb. 2 vs. NO, March 2 at POR, March 4 vs. MIA, March 10 vs. DAL, March 15 at HOU), and three times each on TNT (Dec. 20 vs. OKC, Jan. 17 vs. LAC, 2/28 vs. LAL) and ESPN (2/1 vs. LAL, 2/6 vs. SA, 2/22 at OKC). The last time the Wolves played on TNT was March 16, 2006 at Golden State (last home game on TNT was Nov. 17, 2005 vs. Washington). The three TNT games are the most since the Wolves had six in 2004-05.

The Wolves will play 22 back-to-backs: three home-home, 11 away-away, four home-away and four away-home. The 22 back-to-backs are the most since the team played 25 back-to-back sets during the 1993-94 season. Last year the Wolves had 16 back-to-back sets and two back-to-back-to-back stints.

The Wolves will open their regular-season slate versus Sacramento on Friday, Nov. 2 at Target Center, marking the 12th straight season the club has opened at home. The Wolves are 13-10 in season openers, including 11-4 in season openers at home. Minnesota opened the 2011-12 campaign with a 104-100 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder at Target Center.

The Wolves will play 52 games against Western Conference and 30 games versus Eastern Conference opponents.

Minnesota will play each Western Conference opponent four times (two home, two away), with the exception of Houston (two home, one away), L.A. Lakers (two home, one away), Memphis (one home, two away), and Sacramento (one home, two away). The Wolves will face off against each Eastern Conference team twice (one home, one away).

Wes trade became official today, Andrei Kirilenko signing became official today.

Ethan Norof ‏@Mr_Norof

I don't know how good they'll be, but I'm going to be watching #Timberwolves next season. Rubio-Roy-Kirilenko-Love-Pekovic is a fun group.
Jerry Zgoda ‏@JerryZgoda

Most important aspect of AK signing: He can guard the opponent's best F -- either 3 or 4 -- that Love can't

Lets go to work.

I wonder if love will still put up big numbers now with Kirilenko in the mix.... I mean hell still avg a double double but cant see him getting 20+ pts every night.

So someone explain to me why they think Minnesota is gonna be good next year when they have like 5 small forwards now and their starting 2 guard has 80 yr old knees....

I don't see why he wouldn't average 20+.... he had 26 PPG last year with Blackhole Beasley and others. And it's not like Kirilenko was a scoring machine when he left the NBA... just 11.7 PPG.

I'm more excited for the defense he will bring.

Cheese back in the house... with the old account :pimp:

Brandon Roy presser tomorrow... I'll post a pic or two.

I was real excited to watch Russia/GB yesterday... GB looked bad, but Shved/Kirilenko did damage. I loved it.

I'm kind of disturbed at all of the "cream team" talk. It's going to get excessive this season.

Also... JPZ you might as well switch your avatar :lol: I guess our scouts did an extensive analysis of Iggy and didn't like several advanced stats on him. Too bad. I think they're done making major moves.

Last edited:
Do you really believe Kirilenko was their second option after Batum as Kahn said? Or was that just spin control?

Shved and Drei lit some excitement yesterday. :pimp:

Do you really believe Kirilenko was their second option after Batum as Kahn said? Or was that just spin control?

Batum was easily their #1, but I think Courtney Lee was their backup option. Too bad he signed so soon, but we had to wait on Batum. They like Kirilenko, though.

I still think signing Batum to that offer sheet was extremely stupid and misguided by Kahn.

Yeah, as fans we can be skeptics of the Blazers/Olshey saying they would match anything the Timberwolves offer because we don't have inside sources... but David Kahn does. Someone that involved should KNOW that the Blazers would match, and that there was no bluffing whatsoever involved. Because of that, Kahn had our money tied up for three days with other free agents signing with teams while the Blazers just sat there knowing they would match at the last possible second. Just stupid. Hell, he should have immediately dropped any idea of the offer sheet when the Blazers wouldn't take two first round picks and/or Derrick Williams for Batum. Like, "Yeah, they're going to turn down free commodities and then just let him walk...". Makes ZERO sense.

[quote name="JPZx"]Hell, he should have immediately dropped any idea of the offer sheet when the Blazers wouldn't take two first round picks and/or Derrick Williams for Batum. Like, "Yeah, they're going to turn down free commodities and then just let him walk...". Makes ZERO sense.[/quote]

True. Good take.

If this year somehow falls apart unrelated to injury, it's time for him to go. All of this suffering is only acceptable if it results in playoff appearances these next few years.

How do yall feel about JJ starting next year at PG? I think Luke is going to get traded for a big or to clear space for Tolliver.

Back
Top Bottom