OFFICIAL Minnesota Vikings Season Thread: Bummer dudes.

[h1] [/h1]
http://www.startribune.com/sports/v...8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

MANKATO, Minn. - Minnesota Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson left the field on Saturday morning with an apparent leg injury.
Jackson was injured during a team scrimmage when defensive lineman LeTroy Guion fell at his feet and rolled over his leg. Jackson crumbled to the field in pain as trainers rushed to his side. After a few minutes, he was able to get up and walk off under his own power.

There was no immediate word on the nature of his injury.

Jackson is in a battle with Sage Rosenfels for the starting quarterback position after Brett Favre decided not to come out of retirement and join the Vikings.

Bummer dudes.
tired.gif

Tavaris Jackson injured....
nerd.gif

secretary: "Coach Childress, MICHAEL VICK 's agent on hold on line 3"
nerd.gif

[h2]
http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUHDYaGEP7eyckcUs[/h2]
Jackson has MCL sprain

August 1st, 2009 - 12:39 PM by Judd Zulgad
MANKATO - Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson suffered an MCL sprain in his left knee during today's practice, according to the website ProFootballTalk.com. Jackson has undergone an MRI.

PFT cites a source in its report and says that "initial word is that it's only a Grade I sprain, and that Jackson might be day-to-day." A Grade II sprain, or something worse, would put Jackson out for several weeks.

Not too serious, but enough to keep him out for a bit. Sage definitely will get the bulk of the reps now. Vick watch?

The Vick watch has officially started. How Rosenfels is still getting work is beyond me.

[h2]http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3106 [/h2]
August 1st, 2009 - 12:39 PM by Judd Zulgad
MANKATO - Vikings quarterback Tarvaris Jackson suffered an MCL sprain in his left knee during today's practice, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The website ProFootballTalk was the first to report the injury. Jackson has undergone an MRI.

This comes almost a year after Jackson sustained a sprained MCL in his right knee in a preseason game at Baltimore. In that case, Jackson missed the final two preseason games before returning for the regular-season opener.

PFT cites a source in its report and says that "initial word is that it's only a Grade I sprain, and that Jackson might be day-to-day." A Grade II sprain, or something worse, would put Jackson out for several weeks. Jackson was injured during an 11-on-11 drill when he tripped over Letroy Guion, who had fallen to the ground.

Jackson stayed down for several minutes and was attended to by head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman. Jackson eventually got up and walked off the field under his own power. The Vikings will hold an evening practice from 7 to 9:15 p.m. today and we should get an update following that session.

The extent of Jackson's injury will be key because it could have a significant impact on the battle for the starting quarterback job.

Jackson and Sage Rosenfels have been expected to compete for the position and split reps with the first team in the early part of training camp. Rosenfels admitted Friday splitting the snaps wasn't the ideal situation. "It's not the premier situation you'd like to have," Rosenfels said. "You'd like to be throwing with Bobby [Wade] and Bernard [Berrian] and [Visanthe Shiancoe] and all those guys. Every throw. But that's not what we're going to do."

At least that's not what Rosenfels expected until this morning. Rosenfels will get all the snaps with the first team until Jackson can return to the field and John David Booty becomes the No. 2 quarterback. Although the Vikings have publicly closed the door on having Brett Favre join them, you have to wonder what Favre's reaction is going to be when he hears about this. If Jackson is going to miss any amount of time the Vikings also are going to have to bring in another quarterback to take some of the reps with the third team.

The Vikings waived quarterback Sean Glennon (Virginia Tech) in June after signing him as a free agent following the draft. The Vikings could look to bring back Glennon - a quick search of the Internet does not show that he has signed elsewhere - or they could look toward a veteran guy for a short-term solution. Quarterbacks on the open market include Cleo Lemon, Craig Nall and former Viking Brooks Bollinger. Lemon reportedly worked out for New England on Friday. Nall has bounced around the league and is familiar with the Vikings system, having played in a similar offense when he was with the Green Bay Packers.

As for Jackson, this injury is just the latest setback he has suffered during the course of his four-year career. Here's a look at Jackson's various injuries.
  • Jackson underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee in September 2006 after being injured in practice. The rookie was not a starter at the time.
  • Jackson suffered a strain groin in the Vikings' loss at Detroit on Sept. 16, 2007 and missed the next two games.
  • Jackson returned on Oct. 14 against Chicago but a week later suffered a fractured right index finger in the second half against the Dallas Cowboys. He missed the next game on Oct. 28, 2007 against Philadelphia.
  • Jackson was able to return the following week against San Diego but suffered a concussion in the second quarter and did not play the next Sunday at Green Bay. He ended up missing four games that season.

Updated further, it doesn't appear to be too serious after all, but regardless, I hope his recent misfortunes and now this, aren't precursors to what we can expect down the road.

capt.26c2a543540547459deeca6cd492d431.vikings_camp_football_mnjm104.jpg

capt.519b2441aff14f119f209f8119aac6a6.vikings_camp_football_mnjm101.jpg

capt.d0e0dfbdf2ab488cbf6ab0a321c60ebb.vikings_camp_football_mnjm103.jpg

Camp jottings from yesterday, 7/31
  • As expected, Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson both saw about an even number of snaps with the first team offense. They switched centers around equally as well allowing both of them get acclimated with John Sullivan.
  • John Sullivan was the first team center obviously, with Jon Cooper being the 2nd and Ryan Cook the 3rd.
  • Adrian Peterson was a little bit late for practice.
  • Garrett Mills was receiving a lot of praise from coaches and had a good practice.
  • Karl Paymah has stolen Charles Gordon's number 41. That'll take some getting used to.
  • Glenn Holt was inconsistent. He dropped a WIDE OPEN literally no defender within 5 yards of him deep pass, but made up for it later by making a wild diving catch as he beat Cedric Griffin. Holt drew roars from the crowd when he sat up and motioned for the crowd to make noise.
  • Asher Allen definitely looked like a rookie. DB coach Joe Woods told him he was trying to do too much out there and that it's timing more than anything.
  • Sidney Rice made a nice catch on a deep route on a beautifully thrown Tarvaris Jackson throw.
  • Nick Moore looks very fluid. He probably won't make the team, but the practice squad is within reach.
  • Derrick Roberson made a great leaping INT to steal a ball away. I have a picture of this which I will upload after.
  • Jaymar Johnson is always talking to WR coach George Stewart and he made a few nice catches today, most notably a diving catch over Benny Sapp down the sideline from Tarvaris Jackson.
  • Phil Loadholt is the hugest mofo I have ever seen. He makes McKinnie look miniscule. He lined up as the starting RT all practice from what I could see.
  • Aundrae Allison was rocking yellow cleats. I'm surprised Childress let him.
7 on 7:
  • Sage Rosenfels had his pass intended for Bernard Berrian over the middle broken up by Cedric Griffin who stuck his hand in there for the deflection.
  • Rosenfels came back and hit Kleinsasser for 5, Peterson for another 5, and Dugan for a short gain
  • Jackson's first pass was incomplete as Asher Allen made a nice play to break it up.
  • Jackson rocketed one in to Garrett Mills who was blanketed by Jasper Brinkley. He later found Shiancoe in front of Devon Hall.
  • JDB had his lone deep ball broken up by Marcus Walker on a pass intended for Darius Reynaud down the right sideline.
  • Marcus McCauley also broke up a pass intended for Bobby Wade.
  • It's going to be a pre-season long competition at QB, but right now I have to say T-Jack looks a lot more comfortable than Sage.
  • Rosenfels struggled with overthrows a few times on the day.

Sidney Rice made a nice catch on a deep route on a beautifully thrown Tarvaris Jackson throw
Aundrae Allison was rocking yellow cleats. I'm surprised Childress let him.
Two dudes who are smoove wit it.
laugh.gif
I like the way these guys play.

Rosenfels came back and hit Kleinsasser for 5, Peterson for another 5, and Dugan for a short gain
The prolific Childress offense.

[h2]Sunday, August 2, 2009[/h2]http://Training Camp Jottings 8/2
  • Percy Harvin looks smooth. Good to see him out there.
  • Jackson was no where in site, not even on the sidelines. Darrell Bevell acted as the third QB in QB/C exchange drills.
  • Harvin got a chance to field some punts immediately, but saw the first one bounce off his hands over his head as he misjudged it.
  • The kick return mainly consisted of interchanging players working on reverse tosses. Harvin recovered nicely and didn't muff any more kicks after the first botch.
  • As was the story last training camp, Ryan Longwell doesn't have to do much as Taylor Mehlaff has handled nearly all the kicking duties during camp. I didn't even see Longwell today.
  • Harvin, I'm saying his name a lot, caught his first pass of training camp in WR drills. A welcome site from our last first round WR.
  • Sidney Rice looks outstanding this year and appears faster. The knee looks like a non-issue. He mad a Moss-esque leaping catch in the end-zone in QB-WR drills. I thought the ball was overthrown for sure.
  • In Harvin's first action in 7 on 7's and 11 on 11's he was used on an end around. It was the first play they worked on in group installs. Expect to see Harvin get plenty of touches this season. They have plays designed for him.
  • I'm not sure if it's what they're engraving in his head, but Sage Rosenfels seems to check down way to often. In 7 on 7's he tried to wedge one into Kleinsasser, but it was broken up as he was surround by 3 defenders. The next play he found Shank on a dump off and then tried forcing a short pass to Wade who was surrounded by defenders as well, followed by another dump to Jimmy K.
  • John David Booty didn't fare much better as he looked indecisive and had a couple plays blown dead indicating a sack. He overshot an open Garrett Mills in the back corner of the end zone as well followed by an incompletion to Nick Moore
  • Sage did find Percy Harvin for a TD in 7 on 7's on an inside route.
  • He also found AP for 5 and Harvin again for about 10.
  • In the first 11 on 11 action, Sage found Harvin across the middle for about a 20 yard gain as he got inside Marcus McCauley.
  • Glenn Holt beat Karl Paymah and rookie safety Devon Hall and hauled in a nice long pass from Booty.
  • Just throwing this out there... Anthony Herrera looks like Rick Ross.
  • Random funny site of the day. Loadholt standing next to WR Vinny Peretta. Picture Shaq next to Spud Webb.
  • Outside of one bad drop, Shiancoe looks great and is having a good camp. He caught a TD from Rosenfels in the 2nd of 7 on 7's.
  • JDB is not in a competition with Rosenfels despite what I heard a fan commenting on. Not a chance Booty beats out Sage.
  • Adrian Peterson and Bernard Berrian also added TD's in 7 on 7's.
  • The scare of the day came when Ben Leber collided with Benny Sapp causing both players to lay on the ground for a few minutes. They would both get up and walk off under their own power.
  • Ray Edwards had a "sack" against Rosenfels in 11 on 11's. I quotationed that because plays are just blown dead and the QB's aren't even touched.
  • Heath Farwell picked off a JDB pass and took it to the house. His knee appears fine too.
  • Booty overthrew Jaymar Johnson who beat Paymah and Hall down the right sideline. Hall nearly picked it off.
  • Sage completed a pass to Shiancoe in front of a diving Chad Greenway.

First day of full pads...Always a favorite.

http://blogs.startribune....Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr
MANKATO - Today should be an interesting one for the Vikings.

For the first time since training camp opened, the team will be in pads and there will be full contact in today's practice. The Vikings will be resuming two-a-days after having a single practice on Sunday.

They are scheduled to go from 9 to 11:15 this morning and then 3 to 4:55 this afternoon. In addition to getting a chance to see players hit, storylines include the health of quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, the performance of quarterback Sage Rosenfels and the continuing development of wide receiver Percy Harvin.

Harvin, the Vikings' first-round pick, signed a contract on Sunday after missing four practices. From the looks of things, it doesn't appear that Harvin is going to be eased into the offense. He seemed to get a pretty healthy dose of time with the top unit his first time on the field.

Jackson, meanwhile, did not practice Sunday after suffering a sprained left MCL on Saturday. Coach Brad Childress left the door open that Jackson could return today but he was wearing a brace yesterday and it seems like a long shot that he will be on the field.

As always, check back thoughout the day for updates on Access Vikings./blockquote>

Back
Top Bottom