Official Mitchell and Ness Thread: Jerseys, Hats, Shirts, Shorts, Questions POST EM UP

Did a little research, and found that 1990 Bonds I copped DID have his name on the back. Didn't realize M&N missed this detail. Welp...another EPS shipment otw....
I have the jersey too. Mitchell and Ness didn’t miss the detail, they did it on purpose because they did not have the rights to Bonds but could legally make any MLB jerseys with a number and no name. Back in the late 90’s early 00’s most MLB jerseys didn’t have the name on the back with the exception of Nolan Ryan, whose rights they had. I have a few jerseys like that who in later years when they remade jersey and had the rights they added name. Ozzie Smith, George Brett, Lenny Dykstra, Cal Ripken Jr, etc. If you find a 90 Barry Bonds road Pittsburgh Pirates jersey, to my knowledge the only Bonds M&N ever made, with the name on it, it’s either fake or a real jersey that someone added the name to.

Here you go

Attachments

• 6CC9DB3C-7586-4E15-A6EE-63A06634911C.jpeg
    6CC9DB3C-7586-4E15-A6EE-63A06634911C.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 8
  • D80B0C83-6AE5-41E8-9487-49DE901BD3AC.jpeg
    D80B0C83-6AE5-41E8-9487-49DE901BD3AC.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 780DF27F-E240-4C11-88CB-66C98EA3D951.jpeg
    780DF27F-E240-4C11-88CB-66C98EA3D951.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 751F5610-E212-44ED-BBC0-8233D297D066.jpeg
    751F5610-E212-44ED-BBC0-8233D297D066.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 88
  • AAFD94B8-7C3D-4142-AD6B-72D4C48F63B2.jpeg
    AAFD94B8-7C3D-4142-AD6B-72D4C48F63B2.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 93
I have the jersey too. Mitchell and Ness didn’t miss the detail, they did it on purpose because they did not have the rights to Bonds but could legally make any MLB jerseys with a number and no name. Back in the late 90’s early 00’s most MLB jerseys didn’t have the name on the back with the exception of Nolan Ryan, whose rights they had. I have a few jerseys like that who in later years when they remade jersey and had the rights they added name. Ozzie Smith, George Brett, Lenny Dykstra, Cal Ripken Jr, etc. If you find a 90 Barry Bonds road Pittsburgh Pirates jersey, to my knowledge the only Bonds M&N ever made, with the name on it, it’s either fake or a real jersey that someone added the name to.

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of the rights they had with MLB players at the time. I still have it, and did a LOT of comparing with pics of it before I bought it to make sure it was actually authentic. Now, the dilemma I'm in is, do I change it to what it accurately was on field? Or do I keep it as is to reflect that it's not a fake? But who cares about what people think if it's fake or not. I'd rather have it reflect what it was on field. I absolutely love this jersey, it's comfortable and good quality imo. I love the earlier US, El Salvador, Mexico, Dominican Republic production runs of jerseys. They're way different than what we currently get.

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of the rights they had with MLB players at the time. I still have it, and did a LOT of comparing with pics of it before I bought it to make sure it was actually authentic. Now, the dilemma I'm in is, do I change it to what it accurately was on field? Or do I keep it as is to reflect that it's not a fake? But who cares about what people think if it's fake or not. I'd rather have it reflect what it was on field. I absolutely love this jersey, it's comfortable and good quality imo. I love the earlier US, El Salvador, Mexico, Dominican Republic production runs of jerseys. They're way different than what we currently get.

Make the changes. No one in the jersey hobby will consider it "less than" if you modify it. I think most will encourage it! 😉

Also, back in the day M&N would letter custom numbers on the spot. This was before licensing rights. So, that's basically what you're doing.

Distant Replays would sell a jersey then send it to someone to put name on for the customers. Just be sure the name is put on right. My first Ozzie Smith Cardinals the place did wrong. I sold it for cost and rebought. Distant Replays also got me an 86 Mets Dykstra when they were only making Gooden and Strawberry. They got the jersey with #4 no name directly for M& N.

I was able to reacquire a Joe Montana recently. I finally replaced the older version that I got in early 2003 which meant it was stupidly cut too damn big. I purged that useless piece in 2019 and converted it to something very useful with a few maneuvers.

I'm glad to have a Montana jersey in my possession again, but with the correct fit this time.
IMG_4950.JPG
IMG_4951.JPG

Distant Replays would sell a jersey then send it to someone to put name on for the customers. Just be sure the name is put on right. My first Ozzie Smith Cardinals the place did wrong. I sold it for cost and rebought. Distant Replays also got me an 86 Mets Dykstra when they were only making Gooden and Strawberry. They got the jersey with #4 no name directly for M& N.

Had no idea Distant replays did this. I was new to where to get things online. This had to be 02/03 (hell, it was the early days in online shopping period). If I knew this I would have gotten a little more creative then lol. I miss that store so much. Them and jersey joe is where I got my first 3 M&N jerseys (Gervin, Ewing, Bill Russell). I still have all 3, and I regret passing on that home GSW Sprewell that sat FOREVER. Had to cap my spending, they were too expensive for a college student at the time lol.

I was able to reacquire a Joe Montana recently. I finally replaced the older version that I got in early 2003 which meant it was stupidly cut too damn big. I purged that useless piece in 2019 and converted it to something very useful with a few maneuvers.

I'm glad to have a Montana jersey in my possession again, but with the correct fit this time.
IMG_4950.JPG
IMG_4951.JPG
Had to get rid of my old Montana for being too big also. That jersey in all players ran big. It was in my normal size but just extra big. I about bought the above jersey but couldn’t do it because the number 1 is not right. That is a font of the number 1 they wore in 70’s and maybe real early 80’s. They never wore that 1 in either of their last 2 Montana Super Bowl seasons.

Had no idea Distant replays did this. I was new to where to get things online. This had to be 02/03 (hell, it was the early days in online shopping period). If I knew this I would have gotten a little more creative then lol. I miss that store so much. Them and jersey joe is where I got my first 3 M&N jerseys (Gervin, Ewing, Bill Russell). I still have all 3, and I regret passing on that home GSW Sprewell that sat FOREVER. Had to cap my spending, they were too expensive for a college student at the time lol.
I started shopping there in 99. I too was a student in law school. I went to school in another state but came home to finish in Atlanta after 1 year up north when my mother started getting sick. I grew up 45 minutes north of Atlanta but never knew about the store until I saw them on MTV. Andy and the guys were good people. Andy actually asked me to work there 2 days a week because I knew the product and was there at least twice a week. Hell it got me a good discount but all my 2 day checks would go right back to store. His store was always full of musicians and athletes. Distant Replays wouldn’t put the names on themselves they would send out to a place that did it. Andy would do anything to satisfy a customer and some customers didn’t want the jerseys unless the names were added. Fun times I miss Distant Replays.

anyone else have mail that’s been well over a month late on arriving? I’m starting to lose hope on one jersey coming.

anyone else have mail that’s been well over a month late on arriving? I’m starting to lose hope on one jersey coming.
got a gold chain I mailed back, still not delivered :smh:

im pissed AF and no scans or updates

Never understood the "exclusive" tag on M&N's site, but the jersey is found elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom