Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by illphillip

+@@@ that. Bring on the Versus card!
dan-hardy.jpg

Daniel san
pimp.gif

After looking at the replay and the gifs on Sherdog, Vitor nailed Sexyama with a tons of punches to the back of the head, that's what put his lights out.  
I knew Vitor couldn't have stopped the Sex that easily 

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

After looking at the replay and the gifs on Sherdog, Vitor nailed Sexyama with a tons of punches to the back of the head, that's what put his lights out.  
I knew Vitor couldn't have stopped the Sex that easily 

I seen't it

those back of the head/neck punches from vitor were hellla dirty. Aki dont get ko'd that easily, the hit to the temple had him real wobbly/dizzy n the illegal punches mos def put him away. Also rashad lookin beastly out there, beautiful knee to the body man. real smart.

Dana is real pissed at Hallman and to their equipment guy who let him wear it.  
laugh.gif

He sort of hinted that he would get rid of the equipment guy and Hallman might get cut.

Dana gets mad over the weirdest things.  He's mad over this but didn't seem to mind when Rampage lost his mind and hit stuff in his monster truck.  
indifferent.gif

I agree with you about Dana in a sense, but come on now, Rampage is one of his biggest cash cows.

Plus he really probably doesn't want the stigma of the whole MMA is gay type thing gaining steam. He probably doesn't want fighter's junk hanging out. I can understand where he's comin from in a way. You can't compare Rampage, dude delivers the $$ and is still one of the better fighters in his division.

Yeah, that's the point I was making.  Dana picks and chooses what to make a big deal out of.  He's drawing more attention to it than there needs to be.  I think most of us found it weird but a little funny.  If it was so bad the athletic commission would've told him to change.

Originally Posted by Smedroc

Did Dana really give Ebersole a 70k bonus for putting Hallman away early?? 
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
. and also there wasn't a 70k given for sub of the night, so i guess Dana just used that 70k for Ebersole.

Pretty solid night of fights all around.

Sucks for Tito, but damn did Rashad look good in there.

Anyone hear that Hamill RETIRED? Probably for the best.

Originally Posted by chino905

Matt Hamill announced his retirement today.
good for Hamill, cause dude needs to get out before he ends up a vegetable.

bad for me, cause Hamill was my most recent golden goose in terms of betting against him.

I want to bring this up to get some educated opinions because you guys watch most of the events like me and I've noticed something and I want to know if I'm tripping or not.

Anyone else think a lot of back of the head/neck shots are causing/leading to some of these TKO victories? I'd literally have to go through the last 10-15 UFC events but I know there's been at least 3-5 BIG fights where I could have swore I saw someone get rocked in the back in the midst of a 4-6 punch flurry that ended the fight.

Maybe my eyes are getting bad, and that would be a perfectly good explanation. Just tell me I'm trippin.

just my opinion.

i think you are right. there seems to be a lot of shots to the back of the head/neck during a flurry that ends the fight.

I think that referees are hesitant about prematurely stopping fights. they want to make sure that dudes are out/out before stopping the action. fights like Barry v. Kongo are very vivid reminders (to both refs and fans alike) of why refs need to be careful about prematurely stopping fights, and that will influence how they ref a future fight.

since fights are allowed to continue a bit longer when 1 fighter is "rocked", it increases the chance for back of the head/neck shots for a couple of reasons.

1. The dazed fighter struggles to maintain proper posture/stance to avoid shots. Using the Vitor v. Sexy fight as an example, Once Vitor touched up the Sex, He (Akiyama) was kinda stumbling/flopping around, hunched over, turning his back (and back of his head) to Vitor.

2. The attacking fighter, after "rocking" his opponent will typically swarm and go for the finish. That attacker is not throwing textbook punches while maintaining proper defensive. Instead, he usually is throwing rapid fire wild haymakers (since he isnt as concerned about defense against counter strikes from his dazed opponent).

Throw these 2 situations to gether (more exposure to sensitive spots plus higher quantity of less accurate haymakers) and you are going to end up with more illegal shots.

Solution to the problem? Thats for the commissions to figure out.

If they really start to clamp down on the issue and be serious, we are going to end up with a lot more Jones v. Hamill type situations where 1 guy is clearly about to win the fight, but then loses via DQ. Even if they don't go for straight DQ, and just point deductions, its somewhat unfair to the attacking fighter since they get penalized the point, and the damaged fighter gets time to recover, even though he was initially dazed and hurt by a perfectly legal strike.

Originally Posted by Smedroc

Did Dana really give Ebersole a 70k bonus for putting Hallman away early?? 
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif

Nope, 70k because he had to deal with the man wearing the speedo's.

I'll have to watch the end of the fight again because I didn't see the back of the head punches.
It's a tricky thing for the ref to judge.  An opponent is dazed and the other fighter is trying to end the fight and hits the back of the head a few times.  Does he attribute the tko to the few to the back of the head or the other punches?  Does he stop the action because of the illegal punches and let the fighter recover?  What if he's already knocked out, do you make it a no contest?

In the Fedor / Hendo fight, Fedor was face down and unconscious but Dan punched the back of his head and he woke up again.  Then another illegal punch put him back to sleep.

Originally Posted by shogun

I'll have to watch the end of the fight again because I didn't see the back of the head punches.
It's a tricky thing for the ref to judge.  An opponent is dazed and the other fighter is trying to end the fight and hits the back of the head a few times.  Does he attribute the tko to the few to the back of the head or the other punches?  Does he stop the action because of the illegal punches and let the fighter recover?  What if he's already knocked out, do you make it a no contest?

In the Fedor / Hendo fight, Fedor was face down and unconscious but Dan punched the back of his head and he woke up again.  Then another illegal punch put him back to sleep.

Sorry but this had me
laugh.gif

I think it breaks down similarly to the "knees to the head of a downed opponent" rule. I think fighters need to be held accountable for all the strikes they throw in the fight (whether it's a warning for those 'sliding' inside leg kicks or disqualification for 12-to-6 elbows) and that includes the flurries that Vitor threw to the back of Akiyama's head. Even if a downed fighter was dazed by a perfectly legal strike, the attacking fighter still has to pick their shots carefully.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that Vitor would've still won that fight after the hit to the temple

I think they let him try again and he made it

Somehow a pound and a half vanished
laugh.gif

Hardy initially missed weight at 171.5 pounds for his showdown with Chris Lytle (170.5) in the UFC Live 5 headliner on Sunday at the Bradley Center in Milwaukee. However, Hardy successfully made weight (170) on his second attempt to put the stamp on the card's main event.

UFC Live 5>>UFC 133

Let's get it
pimp.gif

I got Lytle knocking Hardy out of the UFC for a bit. Hardy will be back though eventually.
I got Miller. Man is on a mission
I got Oliveira. I think he's learned a great deal to his defeat to Miller. Although I love Cowboy

Back
Top Bottom