Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

UFC 103's Martin Kampmann vs. Mike Swick will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender for GSP
by Dann Stupp on Jul 14, 2009 at 8:15 pm ET

A UFC 103 welterweight bout between veterans Martin Kampmann (15-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) and Mike Swick (14-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) will, in fact, determine a No. 1 contender to challenge for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre's championship belt.

During this past Saturday's, July 11, UFC 100 pay-per-view event, broadcaster Joe Rogan said he was informed by UFC Vice President of Fighter Relations Joe Silva that the fight could be a No. 1 contender's bout.

Sources close to the fight have since confirmed to MMAjunkie.com the winner will be assured a title shot.
GSP's next fight the opening line has to be at around -450 or -500. No chance in hell that Swick and/or Kampmann can even give him a scare. Maybe if they did a 2v1 fight it might be fair.

[h4]Dana White: 'Shaq wants to fight Brock Lesnar'[/h4]
By J.E. Skeets

ept_sports_nba_experts-190151458-1247670949.jpg

Where does one go after dunking on a 13-ton shark? What's the next step after defeating Damon Jones with a plastic knife and killer dance moves? Well, if you're Shaquille O'Neal(notes) you challenge the UFC heavyweight champion of the world.

UFC president Dana White joined "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" to discuss UFC 100's impressive ratings, the possibility of a Brock Lesnar-Fedor Emelianenko match, and the desire of The Big Diesel/Witness/Twitter to step inside the octagon with the Coors Light-drinkin' champ. Sports Radio Interviews transcribes the gold:
"Shaq texts and Twitters me all the time saying he wants to fight Brock Lesnar. He's been training for 10 years; Shaq's probably the only dude in the NBA that can actually fight ... I told Shaq, I said listen, 'Win another NBA championship this year and then we'll talk next year.'"

White's right; Shaq's yearning to get in the cage is nothing new. He's been training with Jonathan Burke of Gracie's Gym for 10 years now, where he does the full gamut of MMA, boxing, jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai and wrestling. Cagewriter spoke with Burke in May who said that O'Neal "works his tail off" during drills and "has way more talent with this stuff than people would imagine." And again, he dunked on a freakin' shark!

It's a long shot to ever happen, but Shaq vs. Brock ... I would pay good money to see that.

Lulz

Originally Posted by boxer

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by boxer

fair enough, but stating that i need him to come twist lesnar into a pretzel for me to care is about as far from the truth as you could get.

and btw, zuffa's mma monopoly = mma turning into garbage for me.
I'm trying to figure out why having one company have all the best talent in their company is a bad thing? How is it garbage to try to have all the best fighters in one org?
because they don't, can't and won't have all the best talent. they have a decent number of the top guys, yes. all of them no. and if they hold the monopoly they can still get away with giving the top tier guys decent money while paying great lesser known fighters horrible money.

i don't like dana white, i don't like tuf, and i don't like a lot of zuffa's manipulative nature.
While I can understand your stance, I just don't think something like that exists.

People don't put money into any sports to see the best. They want to pay to be entertained.

High profile sports leagues exist to entertain, not to determine who are the best in the sport.

Without that type of business sense, MMA would cease to exist anywhere outside of gyms and Pay Per View, a la the mid 90's.

I think Swick wins that fight. I think GSP rips him a new one.

GSP did sound hesitant when asked about moving up in weight to fight Spider. How many fights does Shields have left?

I really like Swick as a fighter ever since I saw him on TUF. His speed really impressed me among other things, I guess thats where he got the"quick" part. I think Swick wins that fight as well but loses to GSP. I think Swick and GSP would match up in speed also meaning how quick theirtransitions of punches/kicks take place. But GSP is a different caliber of fighter than swick. GSP would probably win by KO I would say because SwicksSubmission/ground game is pretty good.

As for all the talk of Fedor, dudes a beast hands down, but by the time UFC actually gets this guy Brocks only gonna get better so if that showdown comes aboutit can only end up epic.

I can admit that I only found out about MMA since '03 or '04 and the only reason I found out was because of UFC/Zuffa so i'm glad about that, butlike I said previously this guy Dana is gonna eventually turn into a Vince McMahon type. I feel like I still got alot of catching up to do in regards to pastfights in Pride, K1, King of the Cage and all those other historic fights that happened outside the UFC, good thing I will get some time to do some moreresearch in the coming weeks.

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I really like Swick as a fighter ever since I saw him on TUF. His speed really impressed me among other things, I guess thats where he got the "quick" part. I think Swick wins that fight as well but loses to GSP. I think Swick and GSP would match up in speed also meaning how quick their transitions of punches/kicks take place. But GSP is a different caliber of fighter than swick. GSP would probably win by KO I would say because Swicks Submission/ground game is pretty good.

As for all the talk of Fedor, dudes a beast hands down, but by the time UFC actually gets this guy Brocks only gonna get better so if that showdown comes about it can only end up epic.

I can admit that I only found out about MMA since '03 or '04 and the only reason I found out was because of UFC/Zuffa so i'm glad about that, but like I said previously this guy Dana is gonna eventually turn into a Vince McMahon type. I feel like I still got alot of catching up to do in regards to past fights in Pride, K1, King of the Cage and all those other historic fights that happened outside the UFC, good thing I will get some time to do some more research in the coming weeks.
Very good point about Brock. Dude is only going to get better and should make for a great fight. Lets just hope the UFC can lockup Fedor beforehe passes his peak.

It's funny you mention that UFC/Zuffa was your first experience to MMA as I have to imagine that its that way for most. I know its a badge of honor ofsorts to say you been watchin for awhile but yea

First MMA stuff i saw was UFC back in like 1995-1996 maybe... my dad would have the tapes... i remember seeing fighters like Gracie wearing their Gi's ...I was away from paying attention to it for a while but the last few years ive been keeping track.

Junior Dos Santos VS Cro Cop UFC 103 in Dallas, Possible title implications

Dos Santos or Carwin next HW champ
tongue.gif

On the whole Hendo thing(mmajunkie): I'd compare it to a Hines Ward Block
laugh.gif

"It's instinct," he said. "Obviously, I knew I had him hurt bad, but you never know
if the fight is going to be finished right then and there until the ref steps in. ...

"It could have been anybody," he said. "It just happened to be Bisping. Maybe I
enjoyed it more. I had the exact same finish against Wanderlei Silva. I knocked
him out and landed one more punch on the ground. It happened almost the same
type of way. ... And I like and respect Wanderlei a lot more than I like Bisping,
and it didn't make a difference. It could have been anyone out there, and I was
still going to do my job and finish the fight.

"I don't think anyone would have had a problem or said a word about it if I wouldn't
have made that comment. Obviously I regret saying that, and it might have been in bad
taste, but I was a little bit maybe emotional at the time, and it felt good to knock out Bisping
like that."

Every time I see that clip it puts a
happy.gif
on my face, I actually likedBisping (before Hammill and
Leben) and once he squirted that water in Darmarques Johnson's face
indifferent.gif

While I was watching this last season of TUF everytime I could tell Bisping was annoying Hendo I
thought he was just thinking "It's OK, I get to fight this guy" I couldn't have asked for a better ending, it
was one of my good friends birthday, his girl (who doesn't even like UFC but watches TUF and PPVs)
was so JACKED UP (jumping & screaming like a little kid) along with everyone else it was
smokin.gif
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

[h4]Dana White: 'Shaq wants to fight Brock Lesnar'[/h4]
By J.E. Skeets

ept_sports_nba_experts-190151458-1247670949.jpg

Where does one go after dunking on a 13-ton shark? What's the next step after defeating Damon Jones with a plastic knife and killer dance moves? Well, if you're Shaquille O'Neal(notes) you challenge the UFC heavyweight champion of the world.

UFC president Dana White joined "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" to discuss UFC 100's impressive ratings, the possibility of a Brock Lesnar-Fedor Emelianenko match, and the desire of The Big Diesel/Witness/Twitter to step inside the octagon with the Coors Light-drinkin' champ. Sports Radio Interviews transcribes the gold:
"Shaq texts and Twitters me all the time saying he wants to fight Brock Lesnar. He's been training for 10 years; Shaq's probably the only dude in the NBA that can actually fight ... I told Shaq, I said listen, 'Win another NBA championship this year and then we'll talk next year.'"

Lulz

Shaw may have 10 years of decent training....

but going against a NCAA wrestling champion is in a league of its own.

Not to mention when that champ comes in the form of a 280 lb freak like Brock.

Brock via first round TKO

Looking back at the show, wow Bisping acted way tougher on the show then he did in the actual fight. I had a feeling it would go to a decision and go towardbispings direction for punching and backing away. But no he circled into that massive punch. Crazy. Brock will tear Carwin and Velazquez up at the same time.Mir looked like a little boy fighting off a bully. Lesnars strength is outta this world. He just pinned Mir's arm down and punched away until he was out. Idon't see Brock losing any time soon. If a Lesnar -Fedor match goes to the ground with Brock on top, I truly believe it's a wrap for Fedor. Fedorcan't be stronger than Mir. I just don't see that. Well see you all at ufc 101. Florian & Griffin FTW
pimp.gif

^^
smh.gif
, Fedor>>>>> Mir. And its not close.

Of course Lesnars size and wrestling skills will be a problem, but I assure you Emelianenko will not be caught up in some "head crank" against thefence and let his face get smashed in.

Fedors takedown defense is 10x that of Mir and his submissions are just as good or better. Mir wouldnt stand a chance standing with Fedor either.

Brock vs Emelianenko would be a great fight. Fedor by TKO or armbar/kimura

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I wouldnt mind seeing Lesnar v. Carwin if a Fedor fight doesnt come off in a timely fashion.
If Carwin can get to Lesnar unscathed, it's going to be like two bears going at it. It's going to be close
pimp.gif

Carwin has a tough fight in front of him right now though

Alot of people say Carwin is the guy to give Lesnar his toughest fight and could even beat him...i disagree...Brock is untouchable right now aside from Fedor

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Alot of people say Carwin is the guy to give Lesnar his toughest fight and could even beat him...i disagree...Brock is untouchable right now aside from Fedor
Lesnar's not untouchable.

He's shown hat he's untouchable once he's on top on the ground.

However, Lesnar has not even prove that he can fight standing up yet. His weakness is actually his stand up imo.

Lesnar looked HORRIBLE standing up with Mir... and Mir isnt even an elite striker, he pumped himself up after he dropped Nogeira a few times but other thanthat hes barely above average.

he thought hed be a tough guy and let Mir up to stand with him then he got his face flattened twice by knees and he decided to go back to what he knows how todo, which is be enormous while holding down an opponent.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

Lesnar looked HORRIBLE standing up with Mir... and Mir isnt even an elite striker, he pumped himself up after he dropped Nogeira a few times but other than that hes barely above average.

he thought hed be a tough guy and let Mir up to stand with him then he got his face flattened twice by knees and he decided to go back to what he knows how to do, which is be enormous while holding down an opponent.

He's slow standing up. He might be fast for a guy his size but his hand speed isn't and his stand up defense is pretty bad.

He hasn't fought anyone who could really exploit that.
Couture did the best job and he's a grandpa.
laugh.gif

After Mir landed those 2 knees Lesnar didn't let him stand up like he did just 2 minutes prior.

I'm telling you, lesnar is the reincarnation of Randleman. Randleman was supposed to be this freak of nature with amazing wrestling and then he got done inby well rounded fighters who exploited his leaks.
The more Lesnar fights the more he'll exploitable be.

I don't know where this notion comes from that the more he fights the better he'll get. The only thing that might get better is his stand up defencebut that'll take a while. I'm pretty sure Lesnar knows how to choke at present and he won't become some submission artist. His wrestling isn'tgoing to get any better than it is now. His hand speed won't improve. I don't think he'll be throwing kicks anytime soon either.

The key may be to let Lesnar make the mistake. Too many fighters have just been willing to go all gung ho with him up close.

Ehhh.. Lesnar did improve since his last fights. It wasn't just sheer size that was holding Mir down. He's done a much better job transitioning hiswrestling to MMA. If you can't see the improvement of Lesnar after each fight, then you need to rewatch his fights again and look closer. If you can'tsee it then I don't know what to tell you. You have to be blind not to see the improvment. And he doesn't have to be this great stand up guy or thisgreat submission guy. He just needs to play to his strengths and build off that. It's not like we have a hundred GSPs running around.

And Mir's stand up was a lot better then you guys make it out to be. Not saying he's elite but he's not a scrub. Ken Hahn is probably one of themost underrated striking coaches. I've already touched this subject though...

And can we stop with the Couture grandpa line. It's getting old and Couture could still probably beat every heavy not named Brock or Fedor...

Ehhh.. Lesnar did improve since his last fights. It wasn't just sheer size that was holding Mir down. He's done a much better job transitioning his wrestling to MMA. If you can't see the improvement of Lesnar after each fight, then you need to rewatch his fights again and look closer. If you can't see it then I don't know what to tell you. You have to be blind not to see the improvment. And he doesn't have to be this great stand up guy or this great submission guy. He just needs to play to his strengths and build off that. It's not like we have a hundred GSPs running around.

And Mir's stand up was a lot better then you guys make it out to be. Not saying he's elite but he's not a scrub. Ken Hahn is probably one of the most underrated striking coaches. I've already touched this subject though...

And can we stop with the Couture grandpa line. It's getting old and Couture could still probably beat every heavy not named Brock or Fedor...

Couture is a grandpa and if he can beat all but Lesnar and Fedor that just shows how weak the HW division is. A 45 yrold that is top 5 in an MMA division. That is laughable. Is it not? Male's reach their physical peak in their late 20's and Couture is stillcompetitive at 45 in that division. No matter how good Couture is that shouldn't happen.
On the training aspect.

Of course Lesnar's skill set will improve from 0 mma fights through the first few. What Lesnar improved upon through those few fights were basic MMAtechniques.
There is a huge difference between a person who has never played ball and one who has played a few games (but sucks). That doesn't mean that the personwho's played a few games will go on to be better and better.

How much better can Lesnar get is the question. There is no guarantee whatsoever that he can substantially improve anything else apart from perfecting the moreminute details of his wrestling.
He may be able and he may not be able to. Odds are though, that he won't be able too or that it'll take too long of a time to make a substantialdifference.

Of course wrestling and purely overpowering his opponent are his bread and butter but he is exploitable at this point.

When Randleman first came on it was identical to what is being said about Lesnar.
A freak of strentgh with great wrestling.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Ehhh.. Lesnar did improve since his last fights. It wasn't just sheer size that was holding Mir down. He's done a much better job transitioning his wrestling to MMA. If you can't see the improvement of Lesnar after each fight, then you need to rewatch his fights again and look closer. If you can't see it then I don't know what to tell you. You have to be blind not to see the improvment. And he doesn't have to be this great stand up guy or this great submission guy. He just needs to play to his strengths and build off that. It's not like we have a hundred GSPs running around.

And Mir's stand up was a lot better then you guys make it out to be. Not saying he's elite but he's not a scrub. Ken Hahn is probably one of the most underrated striking coaches. I've already touched this subject though...

Couture is a grandpa and if he can beat all but Lesnar and Fedor that just shows how weak the HW division is. A 45 yr old that is top 5 in an MMA division. That is laughable. Is it not? Male's reach their physical peak in their late 20's and Couture is still competitive at 45 in that division. No matter how good couture is that shouldn't happen.

On the training aspect.

Of course Lesnar's skill set will improve from 0 mma fights through the first few. What Lesnar improved upon through those few fights were basic MMA techniques.
There is a huge difference between a person who has never played ball and one who has played a few games (but sucks). That doesn't mean that the peson who's played a few games but sucks will go on to be better and better.

How much better can Lesnar get is the question. There is no guarantee whatsoever that he can substantially improve anything else apart from perfecting the more minute details of his wrestling.
He may be able and he may not be able to. Odds are though, that he won't be able too or that it'll take too long of a time to make a substantial difference.

Of course wrestling and purely overpowering his opponent are his bread and butter but he is exploitable at this point.

When Randleman first came on it was identical to what is being said about Lesnar.
I'm not gonna touch the Couture/Heavyweight thing because I've already touched on that...

And like I said, there aren't a hundred GSPs running around. There's very few with the total package. Point blank, he doesn't need that. AndRandleman is 5'10 and was a small (while strong) heavy, hell even light heavyweight... Brock isn't. I'm not touching this anymore becausearguements with you goes in circles or goes off on a completely different subject, no offense.

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Couture is a grandpa and if he can beat all but Lesnar and Fedor that just shows how weak the HW division is. A 45 yr old that is top 5 in an MMA division. That is laughable. Is it not? Male's reach their physical peak in their late 20's and Couture is still competitive at 45 in that division. No matter how good couture is that shouldn't happen.

On the training aspect.

Of course Lesnar's skill set will improve from 0 mma fights through the first few. What Lesnar improved upon through those few fights were basic MMA techniques.
There is a huge difference between a person who has never played ball and one who has played a few games (but sucks). That doesn't mean that the peson who's played a few games but sucks will go on to be better and better.

How much better can Lesnar get is the question. There is no guarantee whatsoever that he can substantially improve anything else apart from perfecting the more minute details of his wrestling.
He may be able and he may not be able to. Odds are though, that he won't be able too or that it'll take too long of a time to make a substantial difference.

I'm not gonna touch the Couture/Heavyweight thing because I've already touched on that...

And like I said, there aren't a hundred GSPs running around. There's very few with the total package. Point blank, he doesn't need that. And Randleman is 5'10 and was a small (while strong) heavy, hell even light heavyweight... Brock isn't. I'm not touching this anymore because arguements with you goes in circles or goes off on a completely different subject, no offense.

eh..
laugh.gif

People can't really claim that "Lesnar will only improve". It's a complete logical fallacy. Especially given that Lesnar's 32 years old.Odds are that he won't improve.
You're right Lesnar doesn't need to be a well rounded fighter (and there aren't 100's running around) but all it'll take is one or 2 toderail him.

I mentioned Randleman because he was hyped based on the same traits.

Lesnar and Carwin need to fight. That would be epic.
I'd actually take Carwin in that fight.

Couture isn't even top 10 anymore.

Stop trippin'.

And Lesnar can only improve at this point. He has a leg upon the entire division with the size and athleticism.

Time will give him technique and experience. Dude is like on year 3.

YEAR ******' THREE.

Back
Top Bottom