OFFICIAL MOSLEY VS PBF /MAY 1...LETS DO THIS!

[h2]
[/h2]

Updated: January 29, 2010, 9:38 PM ET

[h2]Mosley, Mayweather reach terms[/h2]

Comment http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4870999#/sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/bo...ley, Mayweather Jr. agree to fight&id=4870999">http://sendtofriend.espn....o fight...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat scroll left top; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;" rel="nofollow nofollow">Share
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
Archive

Shane Mosley and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have agreed to terms for awelterweight super fight, Mayweather adviser Leonard Ellerbe saidFriday.

Although the contracts are not signed, "all of the dealpoints have been agreed to," Ellerbe said. "We still have to put pen topaper, but everything is agreed to. It's with the lawyers. Shane is agreat fighter, one of the best of his era, and so is Floyd. It's goingto be a great fight. It's a fight fans have wanted to see for a longtime."

box_a_mayweather_65.jpg

Mayweather

mosley_m.jpg

Mosley

Assumingthe paperwork is signed, Mosley will defend his welterweight titleagainst Mayweather on May 1 on HBO PPV at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Ellerbe said that he expected the paperwork to be completed in the next few days with a formal announcement likely next week.

The fight came together after an unexpected turn of events.

First,Mayweather became available for a fight three weeks ago whennegotiations with pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao disintegrated.They had agreed to all terms for a March 13 fight that loomed as thebiggest in boxing -- except for a drug testing protocol.

They hadagreed to random urine testing, but Mayweather also wanted random bloodtesting, even though that is not required under the rules of the NevadaState Athletic Commission. Pacquiao agreed only to three blood tests,but none within 24 days of the fight, and the third one immediatelyafter the bout.

Mayweather has alluded to Pacquiao usingperformance-enhancing drugs, even though he has never produced anyevidence, and Floyd Mayweather Sr. has outright said he believesPacquiao uses.

The rancor over the drug testing issue caused thefight to fall apart and Pacquiao moved on. He will defend his versionof the 147-pound title against former titlist Joshua Clottey on March13 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

Then Mosley becameavailable two weeks ago. He was scheduled to meet Andre Berto in atitle unification bout at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas on Saturday night.However, Berto, a Haitian-American, withdrew from the bout after eightmembers of his extended family were killed in the earthquake in Haiti.

Immediatelyafter the cancellation of Mosley-Berto, Mosley and Mayweather -- theformer welterweight champ and pound-for-pound king until giving up themantle during a brief retirement -- began negotiating.

"The negotiations were very cordial and went very smoothly," Ellerbe said.

Mosley has agreed to undergo random blood and urine testing, as has Mayweather, Ellerbe said.

Mosleyhas admitted to using PEDs and was connected to the BALCO scandal.Although he publicly denied using PEDs for years, Mosley admittedduring grand jury testimony, which was later released, that he useddesigner steroids "the clear" and "the cream" and injected himself withEPO, a blood oxygen enhancer, during the lead-up to his 2003 rematchwith Oscar De La Hoya. Mosley said he took the steroids unknowingly.

"Floyd only wants to be sure of an even playing field no matter who he fights," Ellerbe said.

Mayweather(40-0, 25 KOs), a five-division champion, and Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), athree-division champion, have seemingly been on a collision coursesince the late 1990s, when Mosley was lightweight champion andMayweather was junior lightweight champion.

Although theircareers took different paths, talk of a potential fight heated back upin 2006 after Mosley's two knockouts of Fernando Vargas, but talksnever got too serious.

However, Mosley stepped up his call for afight with Mayweather, 32, last year after Mayweather ended his18-month retirement. After Mayweather easily beat lightweight championJuan Manuel Marquez in a lopsided decision in September, Mosley crashedhis post-fight interview in the ring and called him out to his face.

Itdidn't look like Mosley would get the fight because two months later,Pacquiao knocked out Miguel Cotto and talks began forPacquiao-Mayweather.

Mosley, 38, hasn't fought since last January, when he upset Antonio Margarito to win his title via ninth-round knockout.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

My dude Money May has this.

cant wait to hear the excuses people are going to make when Money wins.
Money haters will say "Shane's too old"  or ring rust.

I'm a fan of both fighters, I like Shane just a little more.  But Money should win this..  UD

so someone that use to take steriods will take a blood test but someone who says there not wont

ummmmmmmmmmm

My dude Money May Pretty Boy Floyd has this.
Fixed.
I've watched dudes entire career....Fam will always be PBF.  
pimp.gif

My early prediction: PBF wins a close and competitive fight by UD clearly. 116-112.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Fixed.
pimp.gif

My early prediction: PBF wins a close and competitive fight by UD clearly. 116-112.
Fixed what? lol

Originally Posted by GULLYDAGREAT

eek.gif
about time!!

even tho this fight is years late ..

PBF knocks out Mosely in the 4th RND! book it!
I hope so, but I doubt it.   PBF never goes in for the kill.  Dude just seems like he enjoys outboxing his opponents.

And people said the reason pbf/mp didnt happen was because pbf...lol...This should prove dude aint scared..Are they still going to fight the same night? If so, Pac screwed himself because this one will be the one to watch..

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

And people said the reason pbf/mp didnt happen was because pbf...lol...This should prove dude aint scared..Are they still going to fight the same night? If so, Pac screwed himself because this one will be the one to watch..

I believe Pac fights on the 13th... that was the original date PBF suppose to fight...

imo... I believe Pac would have drawed in more views if they were to fight the same day, and again imo, I think pbf knew that which is why he's fighting a different day now.

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

Fixed.
pimp.gif

Fixed what? lol

Dude, called PBF, Money Mayweather.  Yes Floyd is running with the Money nickname, but IMO, if you followed him before he got "big" you still refer to him as PBF.

Most casual fans think Floyd is this money hungry, arrogant dude from Vegas. I still remember when Floyd stopped Genero Hernandez for his first world title and cried in his corner.  Then after he hugged his family, he ran over to Genero and thanked him for opportunity and said he will always be special to him.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Night Marcher01

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

I believe Pac fights on the 13th... that was the original date PBF suppose to fight...

imo... I believe Pac would have drawed in more views if they were to fight the same day, and again imo, I think pbf knew that which is why he's fighting a different day now.

looking at the facts, if they were to fight on the same night, I would not be surprised if Mayweather jr. would of doubled pacs sells.

Originally Posted by tim teufel

boring. shane off the juice wont last 2 rounds

roll.gif

You must not watch boxing. This fight is gonna be better and more competetive than alot of people think. Floyd is fighting someone thats naturally bigger than him (which he never does)with the exception of Oscar. Props to Floyd if he handles Shane.  Should be a good one.

Originally Posted by TCERDA

Originally Posted by tim teufel

boring. shane off the juice wont last 2 rounds

roll.gif

You must not watch boxing. This fight is gonna be better and more competetive than alot of people think. Floyd is fighting someone thats naturally bigger than him (which he never does)with the exception of Oscar. Props to Floyd if he handles Shane.  Should be a good one.

I agree with the fight only being interesting for a few early rounds, although not his reasoning. Mayweather is too fast for Shane, who was easily outboxed by Cotto. Sure, he looked great against a fighter who's slow and stood right in front of him and walked straight forward (Margarito), but his last fight before that he struggled half the fight against Ricardo Mayorga. If this fight was made a year ago, maybe I'd give Shane more of a chance, but 14 months off at age 38 doesn't look too great for him. I'm hoping that Nazim is able to bring out the best in Shane, and he's maybe the best trainer in the business, but I just don't see him being good enough to touch Mayweather for more than a few early rounds. I see this playing out very similarly to the Mayweather/DLH fight, the only difference being Shane doesn't run out of gas or heart at the end of fights...

And in terms of sales, this should DESTROY Pac/Clottey...Nobody wants to see Joshua Clottey with the oven mitts on vs. Pacquiao, and Mosley is still a big name...

Back
Top Bottom