Official NASCAR thread

Been slowly following this sport. anyone been to a live event?
what a finish to the daytona 500 :smokin :wow:

I am kind of hate Nascar but playing line ups on DraftKings made me watch and I will admit that ending was cool

Apparently not a lot of Nascar fans here, huh? Today's race (Atlanta) blows. These 1.5 mile tracks need a caution clock like they just started in the Truck series.

Been slowly following this sport. anyone been to a live event?
what a finish to the daytona 500 :smokin :wow:

I go to 2-4 races a year. If you go anywhere, go to either Daytona or Talladega for your first race. Those tracks are best because the restrictor plate racing is completely unpredictable. I've been to the July Daytona race 3 times. Hoping to go again this year. Rain tends to be a problem, though.

Martinsville and Darlington look like they'd be great - I've never been to either but I want to.

Dover's not bad, went once and the racing was pretty good. You feel like you're on top of the action, too.

I go to NH every year 'cause it's closest to me. Race tends to stink, but I still enjoy it. If they end up putting in lights the July race will be amazing.

Went to Vegas last year. Beautiful track, but weird rules (no outside food/alcohol, apparently, which is not normal for Nascar at all).

Charlotte is fun if you get there early and tailgate all day. The races there can suck, though, and they're really long (600 & 500 miles).

Pocono's a cool track to go to once just to see how they handle such a weird track. The sightlines kinda stink, though, because the grandstand is on the mile-long frontstretch.

Bristol used to be amazing, then they re-surfaced it around '05 and ruined it. Then they re-re-surfaced it just a year or two later and it's been better, but not nearly as good as it used to be.

Of the tracks I haven't been to yet, I really want to try to get to Watkins Glen, Sonoma, Miami, Talladega, Martinsville, Darlington and maybe Bristol if it gets back to the way it used to be.

I would probably recommend avoiding the 1.5 mi. tracks (Chicago, Michigan, Kentucky, California, Atlanta, Texas, etc.) unless they're just really convenient for you. The racing at 1.5s can get really bad, really quick. Like today at Atlanta, with 30 laps left 9 cars are on the lead lap. And there are only 5 cars 1 lap down. Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Anyway, hmu if you want any tips on going to a race or the sport in general. I've been a diehard fan since the late 90s and can explain pretty much anything you want to know.

Used to love NASCAR and going to races. Been to countless Daytona 500s and 400s, and even did my college internship for the Speedway.

With that said, the sport faded on me fast after the internship...just wasn't as interested in it anymore. The last season I really paid attention to was Tony Stewart's championship run in the Chase beating Carl Edwards. Some of the best driving I've ever seen.

When Tony announced he was retiring after his season, my dad and I planned to go see the 500 since it would be his last one. Cancelled those plans after his back injury :lol:

Still watched this year's 500 all the way through on TV for the first time in awhile and loved the ending and it really got me back into it like I used to be. Then I tuned into ATL and turned it off after a half hour...ZZZZZ

i'm out in california and i know they got a few tracks. i hear it's way better live.
know this one chick that loves nascar. she's a clint bowyer fan and stays talking about the races :lol:

Last edited:
Apparently not a lot of Nascar fans here, huh? Today's race (Atlanta) blows. These 1.5 mile tracks need a caution clock like they just started in the Truck series.
what is this caution clock I've never heard it. I'm going to try and make it to the Fontana race later this year . it would be my first live NASCAR race

what is this caution clock I've never heard it. I'm going to try and make it to the Fontana race later this year . it would be my first live NASCAR race

The caution clock in the truck series is a 20-minute tick-down that starts after a green flag drops to prevent the field from spreading out too much. Afyer 20 mins. a yellow flag drops if there isn't a caution. Also helps the teams adjust the trucks more to keep them more competitive. It really is a great idea, and if you (unfortunately) watched the abortion that was the Atlanta Cup race this past Sunday you'd agree that it's a good idea.

Thankfully the truck series doesn't usually need it because the trucks beat and bang each other often enough to cause enough cautions from wrecks and debris.

As for Fontana, I think you'll have a blast. Some tips:

- Get there mad early, so you can do/see everything, especially if you like tailgating. I love to tailgate, and I like to grill all sorts of stuff and even heat up wings or ribs to bring into the track. So I get to a track a good 4-6 hrs early so I have plenty of time to hang out before going to check out the "midway," where all the merch haulers and sponsor giveaways are. Then there's usually a third-rate music group giving a concert either inside the track or in the midway. Chicks usually love that, so if you're bringing a girl she'll probably enjoy that.

- Rent a scanner or a FanView. In my opinion, one of the best things about Nascar is being able to listen to drivers, spotters and crew chiefs. The scanners at the track are pre-programmed so all you have to do is punch in the car # and hit enter and you're listening to the team communications. You can also listen to TV or radio, and the TV feed is awesome because you hear the guys talk during commercial breaks when they rag on whoever's terrible.

- Double-check the track's policy on bringing in food/alcohol. Unlike other pro sports almost all Nascar tracks let you bring in a soft-side cooler with alcohol (no glass bottles, though) and a clear bag of food and stuff. I know Vegas doesn't let you, though, but all other tracks I've been to do. This can save you a fortune on $7 Bud Lights, or you can just bring in real beer.

- Pay attention to the pit stops. It's bananas watching the crews make these 12 second 4-tire stops live. Make great pictures, too.

- Finally, wear sunscreen. Lots of sunscreen. And wear really comfortable sneakers. You're gonna do a surprising amount of walking, and sandals blow for lotsa walking.

Have fun, man, and be sure to post pics and a recap after you get back! I'll post after NH in July, and hopefully the July Daytona race if I can get down there, too.

i'm out in california and i know they got a few tracks. i hear it's way better live.
know this one chick that loves nascar. she's a clint bowyer fan and stays talking about the races :lol:

Take her to Sonoma! Nice weekend in wine country, plus one of the two road courses in the Cup series. That way you get the romantic weekend and race in the hills, plus Bowyer is one of the more accesible drivers so if you do a minimum of research you'll be able to find where his public appearances are scheduled that weekend. He's usually around a couple of places Friday & Saturday (supermarkets, car dealerships, etc.), and then he'll probably be at his merch hauler Sunday a few hours before the race. It's almost always free to get these guys' autographs & pics, and for guys like Bowyer you may even get a couple mins. to talk to him, too. Most of the time these guys are really gracious to their fans.

Last edited:
Saw this earlier and just... 
mean.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...iott-endorse-donald-trump-president/81130770/

There goes all of my hopes that this sport might actually be serious about trying to expand beyond the southern redneck racist stereotype. One thing I hate about this sport is its silent embrace of racism, from confederate flags at tracks to almost zero diversity among drivers, owners and teams.

And I'm damn glad that when Jeff Gordon retired I switched to Kyle Larson rather than stay with the new driver of the #24, Chase Elliott. I cannot for the life of me imagine what he was thinking appearing at a Trump rally the day after Trump's KKK scandal, two weeks into his Cup career. His sponsor NAPA Auto Parts has to be wondering what he was thinking, too.

BAh.... so damn sick of Kyle Busch. Nascar needs to do something to limit Cup guys' ability to drive in Truck & X races.

Back
Top Bottom