OFFICIAL NBA 2K17 Thread | Available Now

I guess what you call caping, I have seen where games have come from. I am 33. I am a little older than most that play 2K on here. I grew up playing TECMO NBA Basketball on the NES. The only signature style stuff on there was different dunks by a handful of superstar players. Other than that, everyone shot the same, dribbled the same, and looked the same (other than skin color). So I have seen the evolution of basketball video games.

When #NBA2K7 came out, it literally changed everything. You mean to tell me Josh Howard shot differently than Jason Williams? How is that possible? And now look at what we can do with games today. I have complained to 2K so much over the years. Letters, Emails, Tweets, etc. Has everything I asked for been fixed? Nah. But have they listened to MANY of the things I suggested, yes. (See Rimgrazer dunk packages).

So, I think we need to step back and reevaluate what we expect from a VIDEO GAME. Just because we see 7 blown defensive help situations doesn't mean the help defense is broken. You understand that happens in real life as well right? It is almost as if people see the negative outcomes 3x as much as they see the positive. "Ahh the dribbling is broke. Ahh the passing is broke."

I won't even get into the #UserError aspect of the game and how some of you dudes still play #NBA2K as if you are playing NBA Street. But that would be victim blaming.

All in all, just lower your expectations. It is a video game 

Shut up.

I'm 29 I played all the same games as you.

This is a product we all pay for yearly and that they try and get every nickel out of you through microtransactions along the way,

I never see anybody demanding the game be perfect, I see people asking to be able to complete a pass when they press the pass button

I see people asking that in a league composed primarily by African Americans they be able to get a decent haircut

I see people asking for updated player models

Nobody's in here asking for the wheel to be reinvented and I'm pretty sure everyone else appreciates how far games have come too or we wouldn't keep buying them

But I know I for one am tired of not being able to come on here talk about issues I have with a game I BUY without you swinging in being strangled by your cape

Like damn we obviously like the game if we were playing it enough to have mostly minor complaints let dudes vent and talk **** we all love 2K b but you gotta take a chill pill with trying to cut everybody off at the knees if they have an issue

I didn't feel cheated when I play NBA Live Pro-Am, Quick Game, or Be A Pro. Even though the game sucks balls it didn't cheat you like 2K does

I just hope this year, they don't have group attributes for my player..... I shouldn't have my to have a shot hook to get my inside up, and if I wanna just be a three point shooter and not a mid range shooter, I should be allowed to do so.... And the caps for the speed in 2k16 was doing way too much.

Last edited:
I just hope this year, they don't have group attributes for my player..... I shouldn't have my to have a body hook to get my inside up, and if I wanna just be a three point shooter and not a mid range shooter, I should be allowed to do so.... And the caps for the speed in 2k16 was doing way too much.
You at least understand the reasoning behind placing position based attribute restrictions in there right?

All that ranting and directional passing still doesn't work.
laugh.gif
That is the point I am making. Maybe it isn't as simple of a fix as we feel it is.

So in the time being, make that RB your best friend. At all times.

I just hope this year, they don't have group attributes for my player..... I shouldn't have my to have a body hook to get my inside up, and if I wanna just be a three point shooter and not a mid range shooter, I should be allowed to do so.... And the caps for the speed in 2k16 was doing way too much.

The system was fine before. Why did they change it. :lol: Yet we're asking for too much.

The system was fine before. Why did they change it.
laugh.gif
Yet we're asking for too much.
Nope, that isn't asking for too much.

Maybe changing something else caused a change in what was "fine before." This goes back to the, "everything isn't as simple as we think it is" idea from Da_Czar's Twitter monologue.

They wouldn't PURPOSELY break the directional passing.

I guess what you call caping, I have seen where games have come from. I am 33. I am a little older than most that play 2K on here. I grew up playing TECMO NBA Basketball on the NES. The only signature style stuff on there was different dunks by a handful of superstar players. Other than that, everyone shot the same, dribbled the same, and looked the same (other than skin color). So I have seen the evolution of basketball video games.

When #NBA2K7 came out, it literally changed everything. You mean to tell me Josh Howard shot differently than Jason Williams? How is that possible? And now look at what we can do with games today. I have complained to 2K so much over the years. Letters, Emails, Tweets, etc. Has everything I asked for been fixed? Nah. But have they listened to MANY of the things I suggested, yes. (See Rimgrazer dunk packages).

So, I think we need to step back and reevaluate what we expect from a VIDEO GAME. Just because we see 7 blown defensive help situations doesn't mean the help defense is broken. You understand that happens in real life as well right? It is almost as if people see the negative outcomes 3x as much as they see the positive. "Ahh the dribbling is broke. Ahh the passing is broke."

I won't even get into the #UserError aspect of the game and how some of you dudes still play #NBA2K as if you are playing NBA Street. But that would be victim blaming.

All in all, just lower your expectations. It is a video game 
I'm the same age as you and I know where we came from as far as sports gaming.

The exaggeration from that dude you posted. Shoelaces. People are complaining about shoelaces sure.
As stated though you cape to hard . If I didn't know any better I would say you worked for 2k. Lots of the issues I have seem like small fixes and some of the complaints have been the same for years. Somethings like dribbling were better in early years. 2k11 was the best dribbling.
It's 2016 , major gameplay issues should not be happening. The jump from 94-05 is bigger then the jump from 05-16. No competition is what happened .

Last edited:
It's 2016 , major gameplay issues should not be happening. The jump from 94-05 is bigger then the jump from 05-16. No competition is what happened .
1. Can we agree that what is deemed "major gameplay issues" is subjective and also relative? I think we forget that everyone doesn't have the same gaming experiences due to different game modes, human style of play, and expectations.

Also, can we agree that expectations can influence our perspectives?

2. SHouldn't the jump from 95-05 be greater than 05-16? Why shouldn't it? You know how many gaming generations were passed in 94-05? 3 (SNES, PS1, PS2) So that really isn't a fair statement to make.

At a certain point in gaming, the improvements won't be as drastic but that doesn't mean, "THey are releasing the same game with a roster update."

All you have to do is read the last few pages man. Don't feel like saying the same exact thing I've been saying. Don't know what a lot of dunks has to do with 2K having really stupid AI and not knowing the difference between difficulty and cheating the user

Last edited:
All you have to do is read the last few pages man. Don't feel like saying the same exact thing I've been saying. Don't know what a lot of dunks has to do with 2K having really stupid AI and not knowing the difference between difficulty and cheating the user
I was making a general observation with the dunks comment.

I also asked you on the last page what was a FAIR way of how to change the CPU when you crank up the difficulty levels, and you never answered.

Question is still on the table.

How do you FAIRLY increase CPU difficulty in a basketball video game without feeling cheated?

You at least understand the reasoning behind placing position based attribute restrictions in there right?

People can still zig zag with these slow running players and still dunk the ball online in stage so capping speed didn't fix anything, but for centers as example, you can't even make a Dwight like player if you want to because you're speed would never be able to reach his, or even a Anthony Davis like player for that matter. 2k tried to be Anti cheese and this year was one of the cheesiest game they ever had.

People can still zig zag with these slow running players and still dunk the ball online in stage so capping speed didn't fix anything, but for centers as example, you can't even make a Dwight like player if you want to because you're speed would never be able to reach his, or even a Anthony Davis like player for that matter. 2k tried to be Anti cheese and this year was one of the cheesiest game they ever had.
Cheesers are going to cheese man. That is why online play is as frustrating as it is. Some of those cheesers are talented ( Unlike @Zombie Slang  )

It definitely gets better year to year. Go back and play 2K13 or 2K14 or 2K12 and look at the lack of footplanting vs 2K16. So, I can't see how you can say this year is one of the cheesiest ever. We tend to forget how bad previous games are in certain aspects once we become frustrated with the current game. Do you remember REAL zig zagging in 2K12?

But, I hear you with not being able to make special players but I think that is the point of the caps, so EVERYONE wouldn't be able to have special players.But I can understand the frustration but know they did it for a specific reason. Whether or not cheesers aren't able to eventually crack the code is a different story. The criminal is always ahead of the law

and not knowing the difference between difficulty and cheating the user
I don't see what can honestly be done to increase difficulty and make the user not feel cheated.

What are the realistic options for the CPU?

Make more shots

Move faster

Increase in awareness

I mean what is a difficulty level increase do?

And again, it is perspective because I don't feel cheated on Superstar. That was the most balanced level.

HOF (which I never play), has historically been the "CHEAT MODE." The devs will tell you that and advise to stay away from unless you are ok with being cheated

@KingFoamNYC

Nerd talk, but this is what happens (under the hood) when the difficulty is raised. This thread explains it all. It explains the boosts in attributes the CPU gets every time you raise the difficulty level.

People were trying to get to the bottom of the cheating AI. So instead of forcing themselves to play on HOF, they tried to find the best level to play vs a smarter CPU opponent

Understanding slider coefficients - Operation Sports Forums http://www.operationsports.com/foru...588581-understanding-slider-coefficients.html 

Last edited:
I was making a general observation with the dunks comment.

I also asked you on the last page what was a FAIR way of how to change the CPU when you crank up the difficulty levels, and you never answered.

Question is still on the table.

How do you FAIRLY increase CPU difficulty in a basketball video game without feeling cheated?

I would say base shot making on real life percentages. Sometimes NBA player's miss wide open jumpers with no defense in sight but also there are things that nba players never do. Like Russell Westbrook being chased down on a Fastbreak by a slow footed center or being checked by one on a iso and can't get by them regardless of size, speed, and defensive rating. Great AI can mitigate the cheating aspect of the game such as better help defense / rotations and players just basically missing shots. If I'm kyrie I should be able to get by a Greg Monroe if he's checking me but what happens after that should be up the the ai

Last edited:
. Like Russell Westbrook being chased down on a Fastbreak by a slow footed center or being checked by one on a iso and can't get by them regardless of size, speed, and defensive rating.. If I'm kyrie I should be able to get by a Greg Monroe if he's checking me but what happens after that should be up the the ai
1. They need to bring back the, "Defensive fast break / chase down speed" slider from College Hoops 2K6. I see what you are talking about and it can be annoying. 

2. Breaking down the CPU bigs can be hard as well. I was never good at ISO motion, so it might be me. I have seen others, that are good with ISO, do it with ease.

Back
Top Bottom