Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Upon further inspection im actually pretty dissapointed in these. The quality from my Navys blows these out of the water. Leather feels like cheap pleather, the suede came with a scratch and stains throughout, and the toebox on the right side has too much material. Not really happy at all. Def would not pay $260 for these, and im worried if this is the direction NB is looking to take. Shoe itself is still a dope colorway, and im gonna end up rockin em. Too lazy to get rid of them. Fit is a little long on 997s btw. I wear 10s in most Nikes, 9.5 in all NBs, 9.5 is perfect on these. Oh, and I forgot to mention that there is one lacehole that is literally not punched out at all. I cant run a lace through it unless i physically create the whole myself. Kinda crazy
Wait, are the PRs navy? This entire time I've thought the suede was black. I've been contemplating these real hard and have come very close to copping several times. Sorry to hear about your QC issues. That is unacceptable.

Wait, are the PRs navy? This entire time I've thought the suede was black. I've been contemplating these real hard and have come very close to copping several times. Sorry to hear about your QC issues. That is unacceptable.
No the 997pr is black he is saying the quality on his 997nv is superior to that of the 997pr

The tongue leather on the 997pr is def plasticky feeling...not what I had expected either. My pair did have a lacehole that wasnt fully punched as well now that I think of it edit: mine was easy enough to punch through, Ive seen some shoes where they had no hole, period.  Overall the shoe is very nice, but at 260..eh. I would say the 200 price point is better...maybe even 160-80ish. Still love my pair, but I agree it wasnt as flawless as I had hoped.

I think,  if you are a  bigger size you can maybe wait these out a bit. Keep in mind not all pairs are going to be as flawed as the one posted. Every run of a shoe has some that get past QC that shouldnt have. If your local is getting them at least then you can inspect them before purchase.

Last edited:
Just seems like new balance is seeing how much they can cut corners on quality and at the same time jack up pricing

Last edited:

Nah, I get that, but based on his photos, they PRs def appear to be a deep navy, rather than a true black.
Yeah they do...its that lighting and some ashy *** scuffed up suede. 

Mine are def not as bad as those! I wasnt over the moon with the suede quality but damn homie...that pair should have never made it out the factory. I wouldnt judge them on these photos. Mine are nowhere near that flawed!

My M997PRs came in from END a few hrs ago. First impression, beautiful in person, but the leather quality on the toungue and such was not what I was expecting for a shoe that retails at $260. I have them in hand already and have yet to be charged any custom fees so I guess im good. Ended up paying under retail and early :nthat:  

In regards to Customs fees from fedex brokerage, you may get an envelope in the mail a couple of weeks after your item arrives with your charges. From my experience UPS and USPS request customs payment immediately before they release your package to you. After ordering from End, I got my bill a week or so after.

^ seconded. Especially for that price tag, hopefully the Moby D's aren't as rough as these. Also hope these sit and drop in price at least a bit because I really want this shoe but with quality not being up to snuff for the price not sure I can guiltlessly pull the trigger on these.

Oh and repped @HoodyJandro for the pics and feedback.
I just got my Mobys in yesterday! 
roll.gif

I can post some pictures in the thread later today. I'm keeping them on ice for a while. Mine were nowhere near as bad as @HoodyJandros 997PRs, that is a QC iussue. I wouldn't judge the release by one bad shoe, he was just unlucky to get the crappy pair that made it through somehow. 

Last edited:

Am I the only one who thinks the grey 997s are the only nice cw? I have no idea what people see in the navy or the authors cws. 
Yeah the 997gy is the only pair I am happy having, doubling up soon, I have the navy 990 which I think is better than the 997nv which is my opinion

Going to try to wait it out on the 997PR. Definitely don't want to pay anything close to retail if the quality is like that. Will wait til to see if they drop into the $180-200 zone.

Just got my 997PR's in and the suede used is excellent, certainly on a par with the 997GY, if not a little better, the leather is good but not £170 good. I'm happy with them and they will certainly see a lot of wears especially later on in the year

Would yall say the 997GY is the standard when it comes to quality for the 997?

Quite possibly. Due to the fact that it was the first pair they brought back, they might have spent more time on them and used better materials. I don't own the NV, only the GY but I remember other people saying the pebbled leather on the tongue was more plush on the GY.

Last edited:
For some reason it redirects you to this jacket--I'm not sure why.  Regardless the shoes are up now

Yeah the 997gy is the only pair I am happy having, doubling up soon, I have the navy 990 which I think is better than the 997nv which is my opinion

I have 997gy, nv, and pr. Also the anniversary 990 navy. I do agree that 990n > 997nv.

For the 997pr, I mostly got them because of the perf leather on the toebox. I do also think the leather is not as expected, just hoping it would be better with age... I still do not regret the purchase. If anything, I might wanna let go of my 997nv now.

998GR for $80 from RRS or 997GY for $160 from SportsZoneElite?

Any significant difference between the 997 and 998. It's essentially the abzorb vs encap correct?

My 998GGO from Tiltedsole arrived today. The left shoe looks like it has been tried on and walked around in or maybe even worn once. The all white laces are noticeably dirty. The suede on the left shoe also looks a little off. Beyond that, no issues, right shoe is flawless. Probably just gonna wash the laces and the suede thing isn't noticeable enough to really care about. Anyone have tips on washing white laces? Also shoutout to @higuy  for the coupons. 

Back
Top Bottom