Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

I want to give a big shoutout to Chase for enabling fraud protection on my card right before I attempted to checkout. As soon as my card declined on Concepts, I got an email from Chase asking if a day old charge from Amazon was fraudulent or not. An Amazon charge....Really, Chase? So if anyone has a reasonable lead on a blue pair in size 12 or 13, please let me know!

Hey guys, so I am new to NB, I have always been a fan of the look of them but never bought a pair. My question is, is there a certain model that I should start out with as far as comfort and quality go? I really like the shape and look of the 997. I am trying to go back though this whole thread to do some research but it is a very daunting task. I have mainly been in the SB thread and from what I have seen so far in this one that it is very similar, in that everyone is here to help other people. So I am looking to participate moving forward as my NB knowledge and collection grows.

Hey guys, so I am new to NB, I have always been a fan of the look of them but never bought a pair. My question is, is there a certain model that I should start out with as far as comfort and quality go? I really like the shape and look of the 997. I am trying to go back though this whole thread to do some research but it is a very daunting task. I have mainly been in the SB thread and from what I have seen so far in this one that it is very similar, in that everyone is here to help other people. So I am looking to participate moving forward as my NB knowledge and collection grows.

There's a small group of us in here who are huge fans of the 990v4. In terms of comfort and quality few other NB models currently compare. Also, 990v4's tend to be more affordable and can be had for cheap if you look in the right places. It's very much a grandpa shoe (I actually bought them for my pops who is indeed a grandfather) but if you're not afraid of that then I'd highly recommend starting there.

Probably the overwhelmingly popular models from the made in U.S.A. line are the 997 and 998. If you scroll through all the posts you'll see that there's a lot of debate about NB's recent quality control issues. Some of the best 997/998 shoes to have released in recent years (in terms of shape, quality control and color ways) are the earlier retros from a few years ago. But, honestly, the newer ones are still really solid and I think NB has dropped some really great color ways of the 997 this year (997CSU from 2017, 997BKR from late 2016 stand out to me).

The other really popular models come from the made in U.K. line - the 1500 is the fan favorite (and rightfully so). The 577 has historically gotten a lot of love while the 991 is also a cult favorite for a lot of us in here. In terms of quality control, shape and execution the U.K. factories are doing a better job in recent years than the U.S. factories.

Hope that helps. Stick around here, dudes regularly post links to sales and deals and such.

moshepark moshepark thanks so much for the info. I am going to take your suggestions and run with them. I have a feeling I am going to be getting in deep real quick lol.

Another to note. If you see your pair of interest, you can easily score it at discount.
And for NB, you just need to be patient for the price to drop. However you might want to try on different models for their size.
Here's a midnight moon.

7287AAB4-90D9-4FDB-998B-F7790C197593.jpeg

Last edited:
There's a small group of us in here who are huge fans of the 990v4. In terms of comfort and quality few other NB models currently compare. Also, 990v4's tend to be more affordable and can be had for cheap if you look in the right places. It's very much a grandpa shoe (I actually bought them for my pops who is indeed a grandfather) but if you're not afraid of that then I'd highly recommend starting there.

Probably the overwhelmingly popular models from the made in U.S.A. line are the 997 and 998. If you scroll through all the posts you'll see that there's a lot of debate about NB's recent quality control issues. Some of the best 997/998 shoes to have released in recent years (in terms of shape, quality control and color ways) are the earlier retros from a few years ago. But, honestly, the newer ones are still really solid and I think NB has dropped some really great color ways of the 997 this year (997CSU from 2017, 997BKR from late 2016 stand out to me).

The other really popular models come from the made in U.K. line - the 1500 is the fan favorite (and rightfully so). The 577 has historically gotten a lot of love while the 991 is also a cult favorite for a lot of us in here. In terms of quality control, shape and execution the U.K. factories are doing a better job in recent years than the U.S. factories.

Hope that helps. Stick around here, dudes regularly post links to sales and deals and such.

Pretty much this. I’d also check out the 990v1. Absolutely classic silhouette and incredibly comfortable. I probably wear my 990GY and BD more than any other pairs in the collection. The 995 is also pretty solid as well but not a lot of options st this point as they’re still new to the retro lineup.

I’m sorry you support Spurs.

it seems they have switched to USPS for international order, at least this is what they will do for my order to HK.
i also had a very bad experience with concepts + DHL (took over 1 month to receive my order shipped by boat) so let's hope its better with USPS.
100% agree...Concepts plus DHL ship to HK=Nightmare

Pretty much this. I’d also check out the 990v1. Absolutely classic silhouette and incredibly comfortable. I probably wear my 990GY and BD more than any other pairs in the collection. The 995 is also pretty solid as well but not a lot of options st this point as they’re still new to the retro lineup.

I’m sorry you support Spurs.

It has been a rough 10 years being a supporter ( a few good ones in there) but things are looking up now. I really like the direction the club is heading.

And thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it.

Welcome to the club. For comfort, 993 is my favorite by far. They get a bad rap for being a Dad/Gramps shoe, but if you have a little sense of style, you can pull them off. I think it is safe to say the majority of people here wear 998s and 997s the most. I rock 990v2/3/4 991s pretty heavy. if you can dig for 997s from 2014/15 or so (HL, GY, PR, DBR, CCF) you'll definitely get the best shape compared to the recent releases.

I stick to UK and USA made NBs only. Pricier, but worth it to me due to the materials used. Don't bother buying NB GRs at retail. Depending on your size, they ALWAYS hit 30% + discounts. Black Friday is a perfect time to jump on because a lot of boutiques do big sales...

Lots of good people in this thread, and nearly everyone is helpful too.

NB chat rep said no additional sizes will be stocked. I’d love to know how many of those pairs went to NB employees.

it seems they have switched to USPS for international order, at least this is what they will do for my order to HK.
i also had a very bad experience with concepts + DHL (took over 1 month to receive my order shipped by boat) so let's hope its better with USPS.

Welp, now it seems too late, but when I got to checkout it said DHL. Didn't wanna pay 150 euros in fees like I had to for the Mossads.

Last edited:
One more question, what are some shops I should look into for NB's? I have compiled a decent Nike SB list and I would like to do the same with NB. Thanks again for all the help.

One more question, what are some shops I should look into for NB's? I have compiled a decent Nike SB list and I would like to do the same with NB. Thanks again for all the help.
https://www.endclothing.com/us/

www.hanon-shop.com

I would start here. Both shops are overseas, but they both typically have good sales and their shipping is really quick. Keep an eye on the thread as deals are posted often.

US Shops I have good experiences with: CNCPTS, Premier, BAIT, Feature LV
Euro Shops: Hanon, END, Sneakersnstuff

NOT DTLR (US), unless you want your packages destroyed when you receive them...they ship their shoes in a bag of all things. and their logistics and shipping is slow AF.

Mrporter but not alot of selections. can't beat free shipping and return, 3 days delivered to doorstep.
Some other stores other than Hanon and END i keep a lookout are
Needsupply
YCMC
Wellgosh
Bluebuttonshop
Todd Snyder (got my 997BKR at $84.15)
Union made
Kick's USA
Concepts
Feature

Couple those with ebates befrugal givingassistant

Well said, Moshepark.

Hey everyone, quick note to say hey. I haven't been on Niketalk in years, almost 7 to be exact. Used to be big into Nike/Jordans but tastes have changed over the years. I always dabbled with New Balance, but NBs been really what I've been into lately. Happy to share discount codes/deals and pickups moving forward.

eb7o0m.jpg

34nirth.jpg

20ab6n6.jpg

Have a great weekend, all.

Back
Top Bottom