Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Just got these in

757B47C4-08FA-4882-BBD0-8CE5CE628AA2.jpeg

I've used the RC4 hiking in both the Rocky Mountains and the White Mountains and they've held up wonderfully (Not the extreme spec RC4 since that's too expensive to beat on trail). I wouldn't wear them in inclement weather or during winter season when a pair of boots it the only real option, but you can easily go backpacking with them; lightweight, great cushioning, support, and a vibram outsole provides pretty great traction, though not as good as some other options. The Hierro will take its place for me though, when the warmer seasons arrive.
Fair enough, I wouldn’t trust those in a scramble with semi slick conditions specially in the whites, weather is way too unpredictable. Vibrant is pretty minimal compared to other tried and trusted. Also never really seen them brought up in hiking FB groups.

Tackle any 4Ks for 14ers with them?

Fair enough, I wouldn’t trust those in a scramble with semi slick conditions specially in the whites, weather is way too unpredictable. Vibrant is pretty minimal compared to other tried and trusted. Also never really seen them brought up in hiking FB groups.

Tackle any 4Ks for 14ers with them?

Since they came out in October all the 14ers would be a no-go due to the snow and icy conditions, definitely would need insulated hiking boots to deal with those conditions. Used them up to around 11,000 on the way to Sky Pond and Loch Vale. Even at that elevation the trail was covered in snow and ice at points. Same deal with NH, had a short window I could have used them on a 4K before the season turned, but didn't get that opportunity, went for Jefferson and Adams late October and once above tree line snow and ice had begun to set in, too thin for spikes to help but enough to make it more dangerous than it was worth to push on. If they released during the summer I would've used them for my trips to Lincoln and Lafayette, as well as Mt Isolation (all in the Whites). Instead I used the Leadville V3s which held their own really well but I feel didn't have the cushion I would've preferred for the length of Isolation. (Did Isolation via Glen boulder Trail)

Since they came out in October all the 14ers would be a no-go due to the snow and icy conditions, definitely would need insulated hiking boots to deal with those conditions. Used them up to around 11,000 on the way to Sky Pond and Loch Vale. Even at that elevation the trail was covered in snow and ice at points. Same deal with NH, had a short window I could have used them on a 4K before the season turned, but didn't get that opportunity, went for Jefferson and Adams late October and once above tree line snow and ice had begun to set in, too thin for spikes to help but enough to make it more dangerous than it was worth to push on. If they released during the summer I would've used them for my trips to Lincoln and Lafayette, as well as Mt Isolation (all in the Whites). Instead I used the Leadville V3s which held their own really well but I feel didn't have the cushion I would've preferred for the length of Isolation. (Did Isolation via Glen boulder Trail)
Fair enough! I just prefer a more established and versatile boot. Love new balance but am just very skeptical of their hiking line from the Tokyo design studio. They always seemed to be more focused on lifestyle kind of stuff. Doesn’t seemed to be backed my too man outfitters and hikers in the community. Really appreciate the input, will have to try and cop on discount. Could use a summer boot to give my keens a rest. I know Lafayette and Lincoln very well, that loop was my first hike and what got me hooked!

Fair enough! I just prefer a more established and versatile boot. Love new balance but am just very skeptical of their hiking line from the Tokyo design studio. They always seemed to be more focused on lifestyle kind of stuff. Doesn’t seemed to be backed my too man outfitters and hikers in the community. Really appreciate the input, will have to try and cop on discount. Could use a summer boot to give my keens a rest. I know Lafayette and Lincoln very well, that loop was my first hike and what got me hooked!
Yeah, as long as you don't need the ankle stability that a boot offers I'd say the RC4's are a pretty good pair for hiking, and have killer looks haha. I haven't had the chance to put the hierro V5 through their paces on the trail yet but it's another I see as being a great option from NB for hiking and might become my primary spring/summer trail shoe. I try to keep as much of my gear as light as possible so trail-runner type silhouettes are where it's at for me until it gets too cold to wear them!

PS: If skeptical of the Tokyo design studio stuff for performance I'd stick with the Hierro or Summit lines (KOM, unknown, and their Goretex variants). There is definitely a small performance sacrifice for the looks compared to those other models, but it hasn't been a problem for me and I've felt secure in the RC4s.

Are you working on your NH48?

Dig the hell out of the Kith 1300 with the encap reveal midsole. Should be way more comfortable than the normal 1300, though less classic looking. I sure wish the outsole was different though, lugs look a little too aggressive and I'm not wearing those when hiking. Worked great for the RC4 cause it was a legitimate hiking shoe.

Also with the murmurings about the 998 returning to NB1, that'd be amazing! I think the 997 has a better shape and silhouette but I find the 998 a million times more comfortable and a fantastic looking model in its own right.
Everything he said. To a T.

Can someone help me out with a sizing question? Not familiar with New Balance at all but I think I caught the bug. I'm 38 so comfort is most important these days. I've been lurking heavy on this thread for several months. I bought the 997HCJ sz11 a few months back due to it being on sale for $50 on Finishline but they fit kind of on the small side. I bought the 997PAK a few weeks ago and the size 11 fits perfect. I bought the 998AWB sz11 two days ago and it fits loose. Now I have my eye on the 997PAL but I'm not sure if I should go TTS or size up or down. NB sizing has got me really confused. Size 11 for Nikes is pretty consistent for me. Any help would be much appreciated.

997HCJ and Nikes are made in China so I find them narrower/smaller. 998 are made in US so 1/2 size down. 997 also made in US but TTS for most. This logic doesn’t always hold true since insoles and other materials can affect sizing. Guess it is confusing.

997HCJ and Nikes are made in China so I find them narrower/smaller. 998 are made in US so 1/2 size down. 997 also made in US but TTS for most. This logic doesn’t always hold true since insoles and other materials can affect sizing. Guess it is confusing.
Thanks bro. That helped a lot. Imma go with tts with the 997pal.

Yeah, as long as you don't need the ankle stability that a boot offers I'd say the RC4's are a pretty good pair for hiking, and have killer looks haha. I haven't had the chance to put the hierro V5 through their paces on the trail yet but it's another I see as being a great option from NB for hiking and might become my primary spring/summer trail shoe. I try to keep as much of my gear as light as possible so trail-runner type silhouettes are where it's at for me until it gets too cold to wear them!

PS: If skeptical of the Tokyo design studio stuff for performance I'd stick with the Hierro or Summit lines (KOM, unknown, and their Goretex variants). There is definitely a small performance sacrifice for the looks compared to those other models, but it hasn't been a problem for me and I've felt secure in the RC4s.

Are you working on your NH48?
Yea I started a few years back and am about 40 mountains in and have tackled most NE peaks as well. How about yourself? I typically always wear a boot just because I wanted one year round one. I also very much enjoy scrambling/challenges, so I usually pick the hardest trail to the summit.

I’ll check out the summit line. I don’t really do much trail running but have always thought about trying to get into it. Probably start by taking the dog on runs through the town forest and the blue hills.

Yea I started a few years back and am about 40 mountains in and have tackled most NE peaks as well. How about yourself? I typically always wear a boot just because I wanted one year round one. I also very much enjoy scrambling/challenges, so I usually pick the hardest trail to the summit.

I’ll check out the summit line. I don’t really do much trail running but have always thought about trying to get into it. Probably start by taking the dog on runs through the town forest and the blue hills.

I just started tackling/counting my NH48 last year, started with Pierce in February, first solo hike for a 4k and first winter hike, it was one hell of an experience! Later did Lincoln and Lafayette, and then Isolation. Attempted Jefferson and Adams in October but conditions were too nasty, if it was full winter it would have been a lot safer but in shoulder season there's such a drastic change in conditions between elevations that I was talking about earlier. All the previous times I went to the Whites I'd camp and hike but not track anything I was doing, and probably didn't do many 4k peaks, just get up to the mountains to enjoy them. Half the time I still do that but if I do a 4k I track it now.

Blue hills are my stamping grounds! I'm on the south shore so it's much quicker and easier to get there for me when I want to get a quick trip into nature. Definitely my top spot when I want to do trail running and not drive 3 hours north haha. I usually just follow the blue skyline trail and slow down on the steep downhill sections cause I don't want to die haha.

Back
Top Bottom