Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

So I've been wearing my 990v5s primarily for walking and the first few days that I've worn it, it was a bit underwhelming and my knee was hurting after 1 mile. However, I just gave it some more wears and it started to feel better overall and the knee pain was not showing up after 1 mile and now I'm liking it more and more!

Question for you guys though. A lot of people compare this to Nike React and Adidas Boost and are saying that these NB990s are more comfortable than those (-ish?) Kinda wondering what makes people say that, because I'm not seeing it. I see that React and Boost may be much more comfortable with the softness and/or responsiveness than the Encap and/or dual density midsole, but perhaps it could be the less support that those shoes offer? At the same time, I do feel the support on the Nike React running shoes.

Maybe this is more of an "apples vs. oranges" situation, but curious to know what you guys think.

Oh yeah, thoughts on comfort between the 990v5s, 993s and 2002Rs?
Reminder that comfort also falls down to foot shape, body type, we're all snowflakes etc. I never owned any boost and only had react element 87s. React and lunar are not great for me, I weigh about 220 so that's a lot of person coming down on shoes. I don't wear any performance nikes casually (I mostly rock retros of 80s/90s silhouettes) but I wear pegasus for running/general gym activities and jordan 19 to hoop. The firm responsiveness from phylon + zoom have been best for me. I've worn 990v3 and 990v4 casually and they're pretty comparable to pegasus. They don't have that same bounce back I get from zoom but the firm support + little bit of squish make them some of the comfiest shoes I've worn.

Size matters as well :wink: I have a 990v3 in 11 and 11.5; 11.25 would be my ideal size in them. But I find the 11.5 to be more comfortable albeit a little bit looser.

Reminder that comfort also falls down to foot shape, body type, we're all snowflakes etc. I never owned any boost and only had react element 87s. React and lunar are not great for me, I weigh about 220 so that's a lot of person coming down on shoes. I don't wear any performance nikes casually (I mostly rock retros of 80s/90s silhouettes) but I wear pegasus for running/general gym activities and jordan 19 to hoop. The firm responsiveness from phylon + zoom have been best for me. I've worn 990v3 and 990v4 casually and they're pretty comparable to pegasus. They don't have that same bounce back I get from zoom but the firm support + little bit of squish make them some of the comfiest shoes I've worn.

Size matters as well :wink: I have a 990v3 in 11 and 11.5; 11.25 would be my ideal size in them. But I find the 11.5 to be more comfortable albeit a little bit looser.
I've came to same conclusion. I measure at around a size 9 but surprisingly prefer size 10 in v3s. 9s fit too one to one for me and 9.5s I could probably get away with but I like the 10s even if they are a bit looser, like you say.

Only model I wear size 9.5 is the 1300 because of the huge toe box and the way the heel is molded. I could probably get away with 993s also but once again, I prefer the looser fit to the snug fit of the 9.5. Personally I don't see how people can wear their "measured" size. I've tried a ton of different models in size 9 and my toes are right against the end of the shoe. Obviously fits are personal but that feeling isn't comfortable to me at all.

Thanks for the further insight from everyone! illustrayt illustrayt - I've tried on the ZoomX Invincible, and it's really too soft, but I can imagine something like the Pegasus Turbos from a few years back would be the much better balance. But yeah, that's why I was curious about how the shoe's considered really comfortable and "better than Boost or React," but it makes sense now. I feel like running shoes in general will provide the support and stability many folks are talking about.

vinnuendo vinnuendo - Got'cha, yeah this sounds about right. I loved wearing the Pegasus 35s casually after I had to stop running and for running when I did run in them.

im surprised ald put up the new 550s so early on the site since the 650s are releasing first. feel like they shouldn't have if they weren't ready to release

2002R "Suede Pack - Red Wine" (M2002RHA)...
IMG_3348a.jpg

IMG_3349b.jpg

IMG_3352c.jpg

IMG_3354d.jpg

That silhouette looks pretty clunky on the 2002r. The toe looks like an alien it is so profound.

Back
Top Bottom