Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Wasn't me who said this, but wanted to address it. I, for one, would have copped the Tassies any day, regardless of any collab tags or marketing ploys.

The 998 is my favorite model. The purple shades are killer. The speckled white midsole that grounds them from the contrasting the bold and dark upper. Just a beautiful shoe, all-around. But not dropping $400+ resell on them now.
I'm in the same boat.  Love the shoe(especially after having it in my hands) with it's rich shades and speckled midsole.  I was amped and ready to drop the coin on a pair but I'm starting to think this one wasn't meant for me.

And there is nothing wrong with GRs.... they are usually the only thing I can cop for retail.

I love the GRs too; they make it easier to keep my collabs deadstock. Haha. 

Last edited:
Went to Jcrew on N Michigan in Chicago. Only pebble blues left were on display and too big. These 998 were half size too big. But seeing them in person made me want them. Hoping Jcrew customer service finds my size. If they find it, they're honoring student discount and free shipping. Jcrew has code up for online sale but NBs are excluded from all promos...
Went to jcrew last week to get some 998's. When I went to pay the manager said jcrew doesn't discount "branded items" like New Balance. Also,my student discount no longer works on " branded Items" either. He said a lot of people are complaining so maybe they will change it back. I know I was complaining!

I got an email today from Jcrew saying that they found my size 8.5 in 998 pebble blues. I was a little worried that they won't find it since it's not online and it wasn't in their warehouse that supplies the N Michigan store in Chicago, but they came through. I should be getting an order/shipping confirmation later. I hope it's the right color... and it better have that student discount and free shipping they promised haha. I would definitely go to a store and have the staff call from in-store so you can get the discount and free ship after they find it in-store somewhere in the US. Not sure if they only do this if they stocked it in the store only or not, but I would definitely try it though.
O nice that really cool. Might stop by jcrew in the end of the week because I been looking for a pair of pebble blues for a while now. But I thought that jcrew didn't allow student discounts on their new balance? At least that is what the lady told me at the jcrew at old orchard 

If you like your GR's thats great but there is no need to come out and generalize on others that like collabs and various general releases. Believe me if these collabs had wider releases I would end up tripling on some of my faves. You have to be practical. The collabs are produced in small numbers to cater to a specific niche. The materials are premium and scare, the production is expensive and they have to go through a quality check before they hit the floors. All of this is expensive hence you do not see a wide number of pairs released. That doesnt take away anything from the GR's either because they been knocking it out of the park for awhile now. Don't worry about the numbers or tags like GR and Collabs just commit to what you think is aesthetically appealing.

Good looking out @CRH1979 - pointed me in the right direction last month and his advice led to me finally being able to cop a pair of Salmon Soles in my size for a fairly reasonable price.  Finally can cross that off my signature...

Glad I could help out man. I know I love my Salmon Soles, no reason others can't love them too.

Think I'm about to pull the trigger on the red Count Fairs from end. I have WAY too many blue shoes and that red just looks to nice to pass up right now.

Last edited:
O nice that really cool. Might stop by jcrew in the end of the week because I been looking for a pair of pebble blues for a while now. But I thought that jcrew didn't allow student discounts on their new balance? At least that is what the lady told me at the jcrew at old orchard 
Went to jcrew last week to get some 998's. When I went to pay the manager said jcrew doesn't discount "branded items" like New Balance. Also,my student discount no longer works on " branded Items" either. He said a lot of people are complaining so maybe they will change it back. I know I was complaining!
This was actually the first time I ever tried to use the student discount at Jcrew. I actually never even heard about it until I saw it on this thread. I just asked the staff helping me out, "Do you do student discounts?" And she said "Yes," and then didn't even check my old student ID card. When I got on the phone with the customer service guy, I confirmed at the end of the call and they said they would honor the discount and free shipping.

Just found a section about Teacher & College Student Discount on Jcrew website. This discount seems to be honored at all stores. But in the fine print it says that it excludes "third-party branded merchandise." Like New Balances I'm guessing... so I must've gotten really lucky to get a staff member that didn't read the fine print haha. I guess I won't know until I get my order/shipping confirmation, hoping my order snuck through. Here's the link below.

http://www.jcrew.com/help/teacher_student_discount.jsp

Last edited:
I guess it may differ between stores. I went to the other main location in Chicago a couple of weeks ago when they were running the 25% off sale and they were more than happy to mark them down.

The shade of blue on the Country Fairs is incredible, really happy with mine.

I generally prefer GRs and avoid the craziness with limited/quickstrike/collabs. Of course, it'd be easier to love NB GRs especially if I lived in the UK, since there are seemingly such better options for releases over there.

I'm going through it now, one of the very few times I'm pursuing a limited pair with the AM1 Milan. I don't buy nearly as many sneakers now but if I see something I really want, I'll do what I can but set my limits. I loved the color and materials when I first saw them, way before any indication they'd only be released overseas in limited quantities. That aspect turned me off a little but they were already on my radar.

At the same time, while I thought the Tassie Devils were appealing, something just didn't do it for me. I prefer my red 999 Elites (no cracking yet, knock on wood). I like 998s and the colors, I think it's the balance of the colors on them. Something as minor as if there were some color on the midsole or sole (I know there's a small splatter section) would ground them better than having the dark black/purple upper with a basically all white midsole.

I just don't spend more than about $175 on (Nike, NB, Asics, etc) sneakers. While the quality can be great on some, I usually don't think it's justified. I have dress shoes and designer sneakers that are $400+ and maybe it's psychological but I see them as long-term value compared to "athletic" sneakers. Syre you can resell those sneakers but even that is getting to be something I want to avoid.

I guess it may differ between stores. I went to the other main location in Chicago a couple of weeks ago when they were running the 25% off sale and they were more than happy to mark them down.
wait so you got the pebble blues with the 25% off? which location the one on north ave?

Disappointed to hear that it was in-store only but to anyone who's been wanting a pair of mojitos and can make it to the progress flagship store in the philippines:

http://clavelmagazine.com/2013/04/01/new-balance-574-oshman-x-mita-mojito-progress-release/

I just made an account about a week ago just for this thread and I just wanted to introduce myself as this seems like a pretty supportive community. I began getting into new balance very recently and I'm trying to grow my only pair, being the seals, into a collection lol. Anyways I'm still on the lookout for a pair of mojitos in a 9-9.5 for a decent price so any help would be appreciated :smile:

BIG thank you to whomever posted the black pigeon restock on size? a couple weeks ago. These just arrived surprisingly in the mail after never even receiving a tracking number. Super happy to have a second pair, very thankful to those out there that still share info like this. This type of stuff is what separates us from the JB threads. Awesome.
as much as i hated these in the beginning theyre starting to really grow on me i gotta stop looking at them 
laugh.gif

wait so you got the pebble blues with the 25% off? which location the one on north ave?
Yeah, they had the the other two colorways for the 998 on display as well. I didnt ask what sizes they had in stock. I had called J Crew's customer service and they located a pair in my size and had them put it on hold at the store. I wasn't going to try to push and see if the the 25% off would stack with the student discount since they were already giving me the sales price even though I needed $10 more to reach the requirement for the sale. I was really pleased with their customer service.

Back
Top Bottom