Official NHL Regular Season Thread... Capitals win President's trophy

Semin extension possibly part of a deal in the works?

Please, trade him out West.
laugh.gif

They get Kovalchuk and lose Semin I don't see the great difference that it would make in their team. I'd like to see em both go out West and get thehell out of this conference
laugh.gif

Its not that I dont believe the guy above's story, it's that I dont believe it will happen (Kovalchuk going to Washington).

-Atlanta trading Kovalchuk to a division rival?

-Where would Washington find cap space?

Highly unlikely IMO.

Deadset that seems maddd sarcastic but we're up 2-1? Did I miss something?
laugh.gif
I was at the Pats game today, havent seen anythign.

Originally Posted by bjm5295

Deadset that seems maddd sarcastic but we're up 2-1? Did I miss something?
laugh.gif
I was at the Pats game today, havent seen anythign.
haha totally sarcastic. florida's goal was a no angle five hole squeaker...put us down 1-0 early. luckily we fought back
laugh.gif

I heard them talking at the end about a shaky goal. That last save though
eek.gif
. It was so quick the ice level camera didnt even get a good shot of it.

no doubt. he came up huge in those closing seconds. he usually can stop the impossible with ease...it's those soft goals that piss me off.

They just showed Fenway during the pregame for Dal/Wsh. Looked pretty good.
[h3]Lehtonen trade coming soon[/h3]
1:56PM ET

Top Email

The Atlanta Thrashers have officially put Kari Lehtonen on the market, according to RDS's Bob Hartley, and a trade might be coming soon because Lehtonen is nearly completely back from injury.

He will likely be ready to play in the NHL after the New Year, which might mean GM Don Waddell will pick up the phone and try to deal his goalie.

The cost for him, as rumored, is a conditional draft pick.

That said, the market for goalies should be interesting come trade time. Several are on the market -- including Lehtonen, Martin Biron, Jean-Sebastien Giguere, Vesa Toskala and Jaroslav Halak -- but because of team situations, the teams that want Halak will also likely look at Lehtonen. Hartley, in fact, suggests that the Habs should trade Halak before Lehtonen goes on the market.

Lehtonen will be back from injury around New Year's, but Ondrej Pavelec and Johan Hedberg have proven to be a solid one-two combo. So Lehtonen is the odd man out.

As the Hockey News writes, despite his $3 million salary, Lehtonen's suitors will only have to pay part of his salary.

http:// [h3]Kulemin promotion permanent?[/h3]
10:32AM ET

[h5]Nikolai Kulemin | Maple Leafs[/h5]
Top Email

Nikolai Kulemin was promoted to the top line with Phil Kessel and Matt Stajan (in place of Alexei Ponikarovsky) because, as coach Ron Wilson told the Toronto Sun, "Kulemin is a better skater than Pony and I want someone who will go in there for loose pucks."

The second-year player's stock is rising as he embraces "the defensive aspects of the NHL," as the Sun puts it.

As the Leafs look to deal some forwards, he will likely stay put next to Kessel for the near future.

http:// [h3]Leafs stalling trades?[/h3]
10:24AM ET

[h5]Toronto Maple Leafs[/h5]
Top Email

The Toronto Maple Leafs are rumored to be dealing a handful of forwards, trying to recoup some draft picks they gave up in the Phil Kessel deal, but Kessel is struggling as of late, which may give the Leafs second thought about blowing up their offensive lines.

But, as we wrote before, Kessel has been helping his teammates out so much that he has inflated the numbers of his teammates.

The Toronto Star points to two cases: Matt Stajan and Alexei Ponikarovsky. Both have significantly improved with Kessel, and might not be affordable in the offseason.

Stajan is 21st in scoring among centers, which might mean he's due for at least $5 million a year -- a big number to swallow. Ponikarovsky might demand $4 million, without breaking a sweat.

That said, The Star's Damien Cox writes, "If the salary demands of Stajan and Ponikarovsky are too high, either or both could be gone before the deadline even if the Leafs are in the playoff hunt."

http:// [h3]No Olympics for Weiss[/h3]
9:54AM ET

[h5]Stephen Weiss | Panthers[/h5]
Top Email

So we probably already knew this, but Florida Panthers center Stephen Weiss isn't making the Olympics team.

He told the Palm Beach Post he has yet to be contacted by anyone affiliated with Team Canada, despite his 18 goals and 19 assists thus far.

But it's not much of a surprise, considering the guys he's going up against: Sidney Crosby and Joe Thornton have spots wrapped up, so the last center spot will likely go to one of the other established centers in the NHL -- perhaps Mike Richards, Patrick Marleau or even the struggling Vincent Lecavalier.

http:// [h3]Senators may deal[/h3]
9:50AM ET

[h5]Ottawa Senators[/h5]
Top Email

The Ottawa Senators lost captain Daniel Alfredsson for the next four to six weeks, so as trade talks begin to heat up, it's possible they will trade for some offensive depth to help their sub-par offensive production.

They are already without Jason Spezza and Nick Foligno.

The only trade talk out of Ottawa thus far this season has been a possible trade that moves Alexei Kovalev to Anaheim, but that appears to have fallen by the wayside.

http:// [h3]Kobasew might be out a while[/h3]
9:41AM ET

[h5]Chuck Kobasew | Wild[/h5]
Top Email

The injury sustained by Chuck Kobasew yesterday was anything but pretty.

He banged his knee up against the Blues' Keith Tkachuck's right knee yesterday, and when Star-Tribune reporter Michael Russo talked to coach Todd Richards about it, Russo writes, "Richards did not sound too optimistic, though details are not yet known."

It would be another blow to a team that has battled the injury bug all season -- and had to deal with fires that burn their equipment truck.

http:// [h3]Wings may get offensive boost[/h3]
9:31AM ET

[h5]Detroit Red Wings[/h5]
Top Email

The Detroit Red Wings may get an offensive boost in the next few weeks. Sure, they get Valtteri Filppula back from injury, but Filippula may also pull the struggling Ville Leino out of a rut.

WIthout Filippula, Leino has produced just one goal and two assists in all of November and December.

Coach Mike Babcock thinks Filippula's return will push the gears into place. He told the Detroit News, "He gives us a one-two punch, instead of just one and everybody grinding. "This way it gets Helmer (Darren Helm) back to doing what he can do and Abby (Justin Abdelkader) back to doing what he can do. I thought Abby's line was outstanding tonight playing the right spot (fourth line)."

http:// [h3]Backstrom deal coming?[/h3]
9:22AM ET

[h5]Nicklas Backstrom | Capitals[/h5]
Top Email

Nicklas Backstrom may soon get his deal, now that Alexander Semin has signed his extension.

It was previously thought that Backstrom would sign his extension before Semin -- in fact, some people thought Semin could be traded, but it appears the Caps made a one-year commitment to him.

For Backstrom, however, a longer deal will likely be in place. It may also be a $6 million deal, much like the one the Chicago Blackhawks gave Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. Because that deal is essentially the benchmark he'll have to work with when he, too, becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the year.

ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun previously wrote, "Like Kane and Toews, Backstrom is a front-line offensive star coming out of his entry-level contract. I don't think anything is imminent, but I'm told contract discussions have gone reasonably well between the Caps and agent Marc Levine. We should see a deal done before too long; certainly before the end of the regular season."

Kane and Toews signed for $6.3 million a year, so a similar deal may be on the way.

http:// [h3]No Carter trade[/h3]
8:41AM ET

[h5]Philadelphia Flyers[/h5]
Top Email

We'd been hearing that Jeff Carter and Scott Hartnell were on the block, but according to CSN's John Boruk, that apparently isn't the case.
Jaroslav Halak, but it appears that was turned down.
This development probably means the Flyers will stand pat and not make any moves because, of their Top 6 forwards, everyone but Carter has a no-trade clause, so that makes a big trade tough for GM Paul Holmgren to pull off.

That also mean, trade buzz surrounding captain Mike Richards should be taken with a grain of salt. Richards is in the second year of his 12-year deal, so if the Flyers try to deal him -- and fail -- it might not be such a pleasant decade for the two sides. CSN adds that "the Flyers don't seem inclined to trade him."

Originally Posted by smoke ya later

The US is playing well in the World Juniors

Chris Kreider the Rangers draft pick is playing awesome
Doesn't matter......we all know who's going to win their 6th straight, and then an Olympic Gold in Feb
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
hockey_canada172.gif

Originally Posted by cquan05

Originally Posted by smoke ya later

The US is playing well in the World Juniors

Chris Kreider the Rangers draft pick is playing awesome
Doesn't matter......we all know who's going to win their 6th straight, and then an Olympic Gold in Feb
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
hockey_canada172.gif
yeah no question
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Its not that I dont believe the guy above's story, it's that I dont believe it will happen (Kovalchuk going to Washington).

-Atlanta trading Kovalchuk to a division rival?

-Where would Washington find cap space?

Highly unlikely IMO.

Yea to be honest I was pretty surprised when I heard about it, I don't think we need him either.

Canada is SOOOOOOOOOOO over-rated in Olympic play.

The last Olympic team was a disaster. They took bums like McCabe and Draper and left off guys like Crosby, Spezza and Staal. When they got to Turin the teamhad absolutely no chemistry losing 3 out of 6 games and getting shut out in all 3 loses. I knew Canada were gonna fail in 2006 after seeing the crappy rosterthat Gretzky selected.

If I'm Steve Yzerman, I'm picking the most talented and skilled players this country has to offer...$%!% bringing 3rd and 4th line role players and$%!% all this nonsense about "Shane Doan and Ryan Smyth have represented Canada in every World Championship"...the only reason those 2 guys go tothat event every year is because their NHL teams never make the playoffs
laugh.gif

Canada will have a huge advantage though this time around playing at home and having more time to prepare than they did before the 06 Olympics. Of course youhave to think that Canada and Russia are the favorites. The Czechs, Swedes, Fins, Slovakians also have good teams but I think the 4 main contenders will beCanada, Russia, Czech Republic and Sweden. I think I read a quote by Brian Burke saying that he doesn't think that the U.S. will win a medal. At leasthe's honest.

I just get annoyed when people here say crap like "Canada has the best hockey team in the world". Based on what? Canada has only 1 Olympic gold medalin men's ice hockey since 1956 and only 1 medal (Gold in 2006) in the 3 times that NHLers have participated in the olympics (1998, 2002, 2006).

I think the US's chance at the Medal Round(s) rely heavily on the goaltending they get. I dont see them putting up a ton of goals on the better teams inthe late stages of the tournament. Miller and Timmy are both either stellar, or can be a bit shaky, more so Timmy. Craig Anderson is apparently getting a looktoo. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up.

The Russia team is STACKED with dudes who can flat out score/play. Malkin, Ovie, Kovalchuk and Datsyuk are obvious locks. Gonchar, Markov, and Zubov areprobably your locks on D. And oh hey, Nabby/Bryzgalov/Khabi as goalie options is pretty good.
laugh.gif
I don't see how anyone can say Canada has a better shotunless youre basing a lot of it on Home Ice.

^^^

I guess they dont report much hockey news in the States. The Russian team was announced a few days ago (huge news in Canadian sports circles). Sweden announcedtheir team as well.

Here is Russia's team. Kovalev and Khabibulin were deservedly left off...

Goaltenders: Ilya Bryzgalov (Phoenix Coyotes, NHL), Semyon Varlamov (Washington Capitals, NHL), Evgeny Nabokov (San Jose Sharks, NHL).
Defenders: Anton Volchenkov (Ottawa Senators, NHL), Sergei Gonchar (Pittsburgh Penguins, NHL), Denis Grebeshkov (Edmonton Oilers, NHL), Dmitry Kalinin(Salavat Yulaev, KHL), Konstantin Korneyev (CSKA, KHL), Andrei Markov (Montreal Canadians, NHL), Ilya Nikulin (Ak Bars, KHL), Fyodor Tyutin (Columbus BlueJackets, NHL).

Forwards: Maxim Afinogenov (Atlanta Thrashers, NHL), Pavel Datsyuk (Detroit Red Wings, NHL), Danis Zaripov (Ak Bars, KHL), Sergei Zinovyev (Salavat Yulaev,KHL), Ilya Kovalchuk (Atlanta Thrashers, NHL), Viktor Kozlov (Salavat Yulaev, KHL), Evgeny Malkin (Pittsburg Penguins, NHL), Alexei Morozov (Ak Bars, KHL),Alexander Ovechkin (Washington Capitals, NHL), Alexander Radulov (Salavat Yulaev, KHL), Alexander Semin (Washington Capitals, NHL), Sergei Fedorov (MetallurgMagnitogorsk, KHL).
http://www.google.com/hos...O30cv-wCFQMn2s8XELRRtTng

Here is Sweden's team...

Jonas Gustavsson (Toronto Maple Leafs), StefanLiv (Jonkoping), Henrik Lundqvist (N.Y. Rangers)

Tobias Enstrom (Atlanta Thrashers), Magnus Johansson (Linkopings), Niklas Kronwall (Detroit Red Wings), Nicklas Lidstrom(Detroit Red Wings), Douglas Murray (San Jose Sharks), Johnny Oduya (New Jersey Devils), Mattias Ohlund (Tampa Bay Lightning), Henrik Tallinder (Buffalo Sabres)

Daniel Alfredsson (Ottawa Senators), Nicklas Backstrom(Washington Capitals), Loui Eriksson (Dallas Stars), Peter Forsberg (Modo), Tomas Holmstrom (Detroit Red Wings), Patric Hornqvist (Nashville Predators), Fredrik Modin (Columbus BlueJackets), Samuel Pahlsson (Columbus Blue Jackets), Daniel Sedin (Vancouver Canucks), Henrik Sedin (Vancouver Canucks),Mattias Weinhandl (Dynamo), Henrik Zetterberg (Detroit Red Wings)

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2...en-names-olympic-roster/

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

I think Sweden has a very good chance to win it too... I hope they got knocked out as soon as possible though so Lundqvist doesn't get burnt out.
Come on son, you know damn well the Rangers have no shot of coming out of the East this season. Let Lundqvist go for an Olympic medal and let theman enjoy playing with a team that can score more than 2-goals a night
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom