Official Nike Air Griffey Max 1 Thread

Wouldn’t be an Air Max day without wearing one of my favorite kicks

C365ACE8-E7E0-4BC6-B4FD-029D8FBD9B93.jpeg

I love the message on the Jackie Robinson pair I just wish they put a Brooklyn dodgers twist on it. I just hate that resellers will have a market for such a great message. I hope Nike pumps them out like crazy but we all know that’s not the case.

Not a fan of the Jackie Robinson pair. It's cool, but It just feels like Nike capitalizing off of BLM because it's in the forefront.
I get the skepticism but it's not BLM they're capitalizing on, it's Jackie and the Civil Rights movement overall. There are MLK and Black History Month shoes annually now, and this actually isn't the first time Nike/Griffey paid tribute to Jackie because he's done it with it other products through the Swingman line in the past. Griffey has always repped Jackie, he was the one to push for Jackie Robinson Day in MLB and everyone wearing #42 on 4/15.

End of the day, Nike supposedly gives millions to various non-prof organizations to help the Black community, as they should. They've been quicker to take stances than other big companies. Folks should continue to hold them accountable to that because Nike has benefitted so much from the support of the Black community.

I get the skepticism but it's not BLM they're capitalizing on, it's Jackie and the Civil Rights movement overall. There are MLK and Black History Month shoes annually now, and this actually isn't the first time Nike/Griffey paid tribute to Jackie because he's done it with it other products through the Swingman line in the past. Griffey has always repped Jackie, he was the one to push for Jackie Robinson Day in MLB and everyone wearing #42 on 4/15.

End of the day, Nike supposedly gives millions to various non-prof organizations to help the Black community, as they should. They've been quicker to take stances than other big companies. Folks should continue to hold them accountable to that because Nike has benefitted so much from the support of the Black community.

I'm aware of all that you've mentioned. I've never been a fan of any Nike initiatives that they've had, whether it be BHM, Doernbecher, or Breast Cancer. It all seems hollow and more of them wanting to appear on the right side of an issue, and from their pov it's about the bottom line, that's not lost on me. Yes, charity is good, but ultimately a band-aid to fight structural racism. I look at the message on the shoe, and exactly how much has fundamentally changed from then until now. Hell, the message isn't even outdated when you think about it. That's the issue. You're right, Junior always has been pushing for Jackie Robinson, but for me the timing just seems suspect given recent events and this only being....what? The third retro of this shoe. Now this? I think of how many colorways got produced prior to this version. Off the top of my head I can think of a Miami themed colorway, Silver, and denim. I just think of it in terms of that. Nothing wrong with people liking the shoe, I just simply stated my personal reasons for not liking it.

Brooklyn Dodgers nod would be sweet but wouldn’t that almost mirror the volt release a tad? I think that’s a reach but who knows what these execs approve

I remember some years ago they did a GS color that looked like the Jackie color my boy who wears a size 6.5 had em

Back
Top Bottom