OFFICIAL: Nike Zoom FLYKNIT Collection - Racers + Trainers ONLY - (SIZE POLL ON FIRST PAGE. CHECK TH

Size preference

• True to size

Votes: 101 48.3%
  • True to size runs snug, but feels fine

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Runs small, need to go .5 size up

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • Runs big, need to go .5 size down

Votes: 28 13.4%

• Total voters
Haha thanks guys. I've been trying to find that black/white HTM forever with no luck, so a while back I decided to make one lol. Total pain in the ***, but if you take your time they will turn out nice. I may still further modify this pair to look more like the htm, but not sure now, they look good as is I think.

If there is enough interest I can do a small write up.

Yes, would definitely love a write up too. Am particularly curious how you separated the sole from the upper and how you stuck them again. I see people boil their AirMaxes and I was wondering if it's the same for Flyknits.

And yes, this is the post that converted me from a lurker to finally registering.

Last edited:
Haha thanks guys. I've been trying to find that black/white HTM forever with no luck, so a while back I decided to make one lol. Total pain in the ***, but if you take your time they will turn out nice. I may still further modify this pair to look more like the htm, but not sure now, they look good as is I think.

If there is enough interest I can do a small write up.
yes please! 
smokin.gif
 maybe i'll screw around and swap the soles for lunar chukkas and trainers 
laugh.gif

yes please! 
smokin.gif
 maybe i'll screw around and swap the soles for lunar chukkas and trainers 
laugh.gif
You're probably better off finding a way to modify an existing chukka upper into a low than you are messing around with sole swaps IMO. There's a few nice chukka CWs that would look dope as a low cut "Lunar Trainer"...

seems like there is enough interest. First off I have swapped a few pairs so I have the basic techniques down. To learn these, I watched a ton of you tube videos to make sure I din't go in blind. I suggest you do the same.

tools needed:

Desired donor pairs.

Lunar sole needs to be smaller than the knit upper. can be 1/2-1 full size different. You can always shrink the upper if its a little big.

different sized flat head screw drivers/prying devices

heat gun/hair dryer -don't forget to ask your mom/gf first if you are using her hair dryer lol

ability to boil water/

knife/exacto

glue(i used e6000 can be had at any michaels craft store or anything alike)

clamps -harbor frieght 3-4$ each 100% worth it. makes gluing a breeze

wood base and inserts( make your own!)

I used a smaller sole than upper. The knit upper will more than likely shrink as well. I used a sz 11 upper and a 10.5 lunar sole. The upper was a padded trainer which in my opinion is smaller slightly than an unpadded pair. Use your best judgement, or do what I did and measure, a lot.

for separating the lunar sole from upper, I just sat them in the sink and continually poured boiling water into them until the soles peeled off easier. BE CAREFUL!!! the water is BOILING! and the lunar sole can tear very easily especially around the thinner toe area. TAKE YOUR TIME!

Removing the knit upper from the trainer/racer sole I used a heat gun. Be careful not to have the heat on the knit material too long as I think this may be what shrunk mine. Start with the heat on low until you can find a heat that is good to heat up the glue, but not melt or burn the knit. the knit material is very delicate. I would NOT use the boiling water method, because the uppers will change shape horribly and be probably 3-4 sizes smaller lol. I wish I had a pic of one of the boiled uppers I took off a lunar sole, but I dont.

Start from the rear of the shoe with the heat gun/hair dryer on the heel of the sole. heat it up and start to try and pry the sole off. I used a bunch of different sized flat head screw drivers for this by sticking them in between the sole and upper and pushing. If you heated the glue up enough it will start to come apart. Its a process. Heat and pry with your tool of choice. heat and pry, heat and pry. the sole will tear in places that didn't see enough heat, but not a big deal, you can remove excess later.

Once you have the majority of the soles removed, you will need to remove the excess sole that didn't come of clean. This is the most tedious step. I used a very sharp knife to slice the sole from the knit. I would not recommend doing this as you will more than likely cut the **** out of your hand...unless you are good with a knife. In the pic below you can see some of the excess sole that needs to be romoved before gluing to the lunar sole. The more you remove, the less you will see later.

This pic shows where you should be when you are ready to glue(minus getting more of the excess off that upper). Since I have soleswapped a few pairs I went into this step with plenty of confidence. I used wood cutouts of the shape of the bottom of the sole and the inside of the upper to help clamp everything together. Makes them so much easier to glue evenly.

Spread your glue on the sole and place the upper. You can move the upper around to get it situated where you like. Just make sure everything is lining up. From here, rubberband, clamp, tape or whatever you want to do to get the glue to set.

Here is what mine look like in the gluing stage:

You can see the wood base, inside the shoe is another(smaller) this helps the pressure get to the entire shoe, and not just in one area. I use a cardboard wedge in the front to get the toe and the front of the sole to glue at the same time. I let it sit for a day like this.

If any areas were missed with glue, you can reapply glue and let dry until desired result is achieved.

end product should hopefully look like the one on top:

obviously this was a project. It was time consuming, and costly. I am satisfied with the outcome however.

DO NOT PM ME A MILLION QUESTIONS AS I WILL NOT RESPOND. If I feel I missed something important I will update. WAtch you tube videos as I did. you will learn a lot.

when i get home tonight I will take a picture of my wood gluing bases to get a better idea.

when i get home tonight I will take a picture of my wood gluing bases to get a better idea.
Thanks for the tips there Lemon.  I think eventually I will try this on some of my beat up pairs of racers.  Can you elaborate on what lunar shoe you used for the swap?  Also, did you cut off the toe area on the lunar sole that kind of wraps up the front of the shoe?

i used a lunar montreal I got off ebay for 55$ anything with a lunar sole will work. And no I did not cut anything off the sole, it looks flattened due to it being separated from the upper. when you glue it together it looks fine again.

i used a lunar montreal I got off ebay for 55$ anything with a lunar sole will work. And no I did not cut anything off the sole, it looks flattened due to it being separated from the upper. when you glue it together it looks fine again.
Thanks for the info.

Waiting for the 3rd coat to dry on the first shoe and starting on the 2nd. Love the way they look

Anyone have a place that still has the Oreo volts in a 10-10.5?

Last edited:
just watched some videos. long process.

Last edited:
Anyone got tips on the best way to shrink Flyknits? I tried drying them in the sun and steaming them but they still haven't shrunk enough. Would you recommend using a hair dryer? Point on the upper only so I don't affect the glue on the sole? Thanks!

Yeah wash hot and dry super hot and take out insoles ..shrunk both my racers and trainers half a size..had to cut my insoles to fit back haha

Back
Top Bottom