Official NT dad thread: can the dads get love

Need to be a little more active on nt again, at least a couple of threads still worth visiting ❤️❤️

Here is my baby boy, can’t believe he’s 7 months now 😭

71EC09E1-AB8E-464B-A38B-190A1708A348.jpeg
F5527A1C-5566-4224-BC72-E0B05966E153.jpeg
C68E3098-9452-44D9-B06C-CCE7C60C4D83.jpeg

Of course you "had to be all up in the video." - :lol:

But seriously, congratulations.

There is nothing funner for a girl dad than your daughter finally developing a love of sports without you having to force it. 2 years ago, my kid was an art nerd. This year, she’s a club volleyball player, and also got recruited to play club basketball this spring after a few games on her school team.

My baby girl finally asked me for help today. Showed her how to play post defense, and then taught her how to use her body as a shield against defenders on drives. By the end of the session, she was putting her shoulder into my chest on drives. Like, I was legit trying to block her shot at the end but she was knocking me backwards and finishing through contact.

Alternatively, there is no worse feeling as a dad than being sore after a workout with your kid. NT dads - don’t forget to stretch, and have that Alleve on standby. My achilles is killing me, and my body is sore. 😂😂

There is nothing funner for a girl dad than your daughter finally developing a love of sports without you having to force it. 2 years ago, my kid was an art nerd. This year, she’s a club volleyball player, and also got recruited to play club basketball this spring after a few games on her school team.

My baby girl finally asked me for help today. Showed her how to play post defense, and then taught her how to use her body as a shield against defenders on drives. By the end of the session, she was putting her shoulder into my chest on drives. Like, I was legit trying to block her shot at the end but she was knocking me backwards and finishing through contact.

Alternatively, there is no worse feeling as a dad than being sore after a workout with your kid. NT dads - don’t forget to stretch, and have that Alleve on standby. My achilles is killing me, and my body is sore. 😂😂
Love to hear it man

My 8 year old daughter is starting soccer next week .. I don’t know anything about soccer lol grew up playing football & basketball but best believe I’m about to YouTube University my soccer knowledge asap

Love to hear it man

My 8 year old daughter is starting soccer next week .. I don’t know anything about soccer lol grew up playing football & basketball but best believe I’m about to YouTube University my soccer knowledge asap

I feel you. I dont know anything about volleyball, which actually turned out great since I didn’t turn into the overbearing dad who has all these tips and critiques for their kid after the game. All I did was ensure that my daughter always had the proper gear, got her to practice and games on time, and paid for her volleyball camps. Lol. And after games, it always just the good old “Hey, you played well today!” or the “Don’t worry. Your coaches will figure out what you girls need to work on for the next game. You fought hard. Get em next time!” speeches.

Things might have been very different if she hopped into basketball right away. I’m so passionate about hoops that I might have drowned her in info, drills, criticizing what her coach isn’t teaching them, etc.

So although you don’t know anything about soccer, it will be a great opportunity for her to just develop a love of a sport and all that goes with it (teamwork, practices, comraderie), and it will give you practice in just being a supportive parent while staying out of the coach’s way. And eventually, when your daughter does take up basketball, you’ll be right there to fill in all the gaps that her coach doesn’t provide during team practices.

best feeling in the world

The cynic in me defaulted straight to 'C'mon, that was clearly set up.'
But then the father and counselor in me went 'You can set something up, but you can't fake emotion, and that little girl is happy AF.'

Good for him, man. 🔥❤️

My daughter isn’t quite 18 months and I typically drop her off and pick her up from daycare. Today my wife did cause I got swamped at work and wifey said the entire car ride home and at the house our daughter kept saying “Dada, dada, dada.” When I got home she was sooo hype and I needed that. She’s 100% a mama’s girl so far but hearing how today went made me feel something tbh

My 10 year old signed up for softball this year never playing it before

Email came about a week ago that they were doing player evaluations today

Got her a glove this past Wednesday and started breaking it in for her…the email said they only need to bring their glove

When we get there most kids had bags with bats…some kids had multiple bats

I see some young bull walking out with a bag the size of him with five bats! :wow:

The hell you need that many bats for?!

When it was over my daughter tells me she wants to go to ****’s to get a bat and helmet

She said it was embarrassing because she had to use somebody else’s

**** done changed since I played little league when I was a kid, 43 now

Bats and helmets were provided by the organization…nobody had their own helmet, some kids had their own bat and/or batting gloves

For other parents with kids playing baseball or softball, did you have to buy a ton of gear?

Looking at bats, I didn’t look into it to much but there’s the length size and another number…I’m thinking maybe the diameter of where you grip the bat? Maybe I was ignorant back in the day but I thought the only sizing was length and everything else was standard 🤷‍♂️

Got her a glove this past Wednesday and started breaking it in for her…the email said they only need to bring their glove

I see some young bull walking out with a bag the size of him with five bats! :wow:

When it was over my daughter tells me she wants to go to ****’s to get a bat and helmet

Bats and helmets were provided by the organization…nobody had their own helmet, some kids had their own bat and/or batting gloves

For other parents with kids playing baseball or softball, did you have to buy a ton of gear?

Looking at bats, I didn’t look into it to much but there’s the length size and another number…I’m thinking maybe the diameter of where you grip the bat? Maybe I was ignorant back in the day but I thought the only sizing was length and everything else was standard 🤷‍♂️
That other size is the weight of the bat. Check with a coach or online to see if there are restrictions you need to adhere to for the bat size. When I was playing in high school, our state rules dictated that the bat couldn't be longer than 36 inches and the weight couldn't be any more than 3 ounces less than the length (so a 36 inch bat had to weigh at least 33 ounces. 33 inch bat had to weigh at least 30 inches etc etc).

I haven't gone through this with my kids, but I know my mom was also put off by the idea of buying me gear (and im only talking a mitt, batting gloves, a bat, and a bag). And hearing my coworkers talk about it, yeah, tons of gear. And that's on top of new uniforms every year for their travel team, the cost for the team, the cost for tournaments and the cost associated with travel for said tournaments.

Pretty surprising the organization didn't have helmets. That seems like the bare minimum they can provide, imo.

Hope your little one enjoys it.

I got got first time doing softball signups also. I grew up having everything provided. But once they told me she needed more than a glove, I over did it 😂. She had batting tees and nets for the backyard Mike trout cleats and batting gloves, Nike drifit gear 😂 went to play it again sports dude schooled me on bats which I've long forgotten. Threw her in the cage gave her a 5 or 6 to try. We bought 2 he gave her 1 and a bucket of balls. She played two years and I ended up donating all that stuff back to ol boy at play it again 😂

You think softball is wild, stay far far far away from gymnastics or cheerleading. 10 years later I still feel like I haven't financially recovered 😂

To the NTers who had split custody of their child young, how did your child adjust?

My daughter is almost two and a half, her mom and I have been apart since she was 9 months. We do one week on one week off and do drop offs on Sundays. My daugher has done really well and seems to separate her life at the two homes well, however this weeks drop off was the most difficult yet :frown:

I was bringing my daughter back and for the FIRST time when I dropped her off, she cried hysterically not wanting to leave me, and even reached out to go back to me and screamed to go with daddy. It truly broke my heart. I’ve always had an amazing bond with her, but that biological connection with mom has mostly won out when it comes to her still wanting to go to mom when she see’s her, this week felt different and like she’s getting to an age where that may be shifting. We will see.

As much as I love and cherish our bond, it was truly heartbreaking :frown: and I haven’t stopped thinking about it and how hard the back and forth must be on her, but I know it’s still better than the alternative of being in a home with the toxicity of the relationship I had with her mother.

Feels bad man.

Last edited:
When my daughter was younger it was tough. She was genuinely happy with whoever she was with when it was "my time " she's all daddy's girl and vice versa and would throw and cry almost every drop off no matter who was doing it. Her mother and I hate each other so I think she would pick up on the tension and probably over the week leading up to drop off hear me on the phone complain or something as it approaches. She could feel my sadness for her to go and same thing when she's with her mom.

Grandpa told me something that changed the game forever. He was like that's her momma just cause y'all hate each other doesn't mean she does she loves both of y'all equally ain't no choosing for her. Instead of being tense that morning get my baby excited to see her momma.

So I started after our outings for the day some point in the early afternoon after I've had my selfish daddy daughter time, 😂 sometimes the night before if we'd just be chilling all day with nothing going on the next day I'd always drop a simple guess what it's time to see mommy today!

It's crazy how they can feel and sense and know what's going on no matter the age so just try to make it a positive thing if possible.

My daughters mom doesn’t bad mouth me and I don’t bad mouth her even though we get into it from time to time.

Custody is gonna change as they get older and go to school. It used to be 50/50 or I had her more of less. We just did whatever worked and it was fine.

Then when she stated school her mom lived in the better school district and also didn’t work so she had her mon-Friday but I’d hang out with her on nights too whenever we wanted.

She lives and goes to school outside Atlanta now because her mom’s side all lives there so she moved there 3 years ago. I

It was hard but tbh is see her just as much it’s just weeks at a time vs whenever she wasn’t with her friends or mom. She’s 17 now so she’s always with her friends. I get her a couple months in the summer, and she comes up anytime she has a week off school.

Shes told me she’s fine with it, she seems happy and has never known me and her mom together.

The custody will always be changing probably because you it won’t always make sense to be 50/50. Your kid will be good still.

For my son he was good. Me & his mom broke up when he was 2 & we did 50/50 until he moved with me full time in 3rd grade. Sometimes he would want to stay with me longer & other times her. He never really cried but we did go through a rough period when his mom tried to put me on child support but in the end it all worked out & we good now.

Also cap & gown pics
693435cb-.JPG

Back
Top Bottom