Official Oakland Athletics Offseason Thread

GreenNGold89

formerly bbllplaya23
The holes for this team are pretty obvious to anyone. Offense, Power, Offense, Power.
laugh.gif

C – Kurt Suzuki 
1B – Daric Barton
2B – Mark Ellis 
SS – Pennington 
3B – Kouz
OF – Josh Willingham 
OF – Coco Crisp 
OF – DeJesus 
DH - Hideki Matsui 

1. Coco
2. Barton
3. DeJesus
4. Matsui
5. Willingham
6. Suzuki
7. Kouz
8. Ellis
9. Pennington

The starting rotation will be fine.

Cahill
Anderson
Gio
Braden
McCarthy? Outman? Harden? (I hope he's going to the bullpen though) 

I’m too lazy to speak about the bullpen so I’ll just say it can use help, but it’s not a huge problem like the offense.

The holes for this team are pretty obvious to anyone. Offense, Power, Offense, Power.
laugh.gif

C – Kurt Suzuki 
1B – Daric Barton
2B – Mark Ellis 
SS – Pennington 
3B – Kouz
OF – Josh Willingham 
OF – Coco Crisp 
OF – DeJesus 
DH - Hideki Matsui 

1. Coco
2. Barton
3. DeJesus
4. Matsui
5. Willingham
6. Suzuki
7. Kouz
8. Ellis
9. Pennington

The starting rotation will be fine.

Cahill
Anderson
Gio
Braden
McCarthy? Outman? Harden? (I hope he's going to the bullpen though) 

I’m too lazy to speak about the bullpen so I’ll just say it can use help, but it’s not a huge problem like the offense.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html[h1]A's Claim Edwin Encarnacion[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 12, 2010 at 2:16pm CST]

The A's claimed Edwin Encarnacion off of waivers from the Blue Jays, according to the teams. The third baseman hit 21 home runs last year, more than anyone on the A's. Encarnacion batted .244/.305/.482 and reached the 20-homer plateau for the second time in his six-year career. Oakland GM Billy Beane, who acquired David DeJesus earlier in the week, continues his busy offseason search for bats.

The Blue Jays lost Encarnacion for nothing, but that's no surprise. The 27-year-old earned $4.75MM in 2010 and could have earned even more through arbitration in 2011, so he was anon-tender candidate.

Another non-tender candidateKevin Kouzmanoff, now faces an uncertain future in Oakland. Encarnacion has played all but nine innings of his big league career at third base, Kouzmanoff’s position. The A’s also have Conor JacksonRajai DavisCoco CrispRyan SweeneyJack Cust and DeJesus, so there won’t be many at bats to spare at DH. It appears that Kouzmanoff’s days in Oakland are numbered, especially since he and Encarnacion couldn't platoon (both handle lefties better than righties).

The Blue Jays, meanwhile, have an opening at third base. Jose Bautista played 48 games at the hot corner in 2010, John McDonald can play third and prospect Brad Emaus has experience there, too. However, it seems likely that the Blue Jays will consider acquiring a third baseman through trades or free agency.
[/h1]

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/as-claim-edwin-encarnacion.html[h1]A's Claim Edwin Encarnacion[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 12, 2010 at 2:16pm CST]

The A's claimed Edwin Encarnacion off of waivers from the Blue Jays, according to the teams. The third baseman hit 21 home runs last year, more than anyone on the A's. Encarnacion batted .244/.305/.482 and reached the 20-homer plateau for the second time in his six-year career. Oakland GM Billy Beane, who acquired David DeJesus earlier in the week, continues his busy offseason search for bats.

The Blue Jays lost Encarnacion for nothing, but that's no surprise. The 27-year-old earned $4.75MM in 2010 and could have earned even more through arbitration in 2011, so he was anon-tender candidate.

Another non-tender candidateKevin Kouzmanoff, now faces an uncertain future in Oakland. Encarnacion has played all but nine innings of his big league career at third base, Kouzmanoff’s position. The A’s also have Conor JacksonRajai DavisCoco CrispRyan SweeneyJack Cust and DeJesus, so there won’t be many at bats to spare at DH. It appears that Kouzmanoff’s days in Oakland are numbered, especially since he and Encarnacion couldn't platoon (both handle lefties better than righties).

The Blue Jays, meanwhile, have an opening at third base. Jose Bautista played 48 games at the hot corner in 2010, John McDonald can play third and prospect Brad Emaus has experience there, too. However, it seems likely that the Blue Jays will consider acquiring a third baseman through trades or free agency.
[/h1]

I've always been a fan of Encarnacion; I just don't see how his numbers are going to be any different from Kouz's last year. If thats our "Power Pickup", we're not winning anything next year. Give me 2 guys that can guarantee me at least 25 jacks, and we'll have a chance.

I've always been a fan of Encarnacion; I just don't see how his numbers are going to be any different from Kouz's last year. If thats our "Power Pickup", we're not winning anything next year. Give me 2 guys that can guarantee me at least 25 jacks, and we'll have a chance.

Bailey trade? :[

What I've been reading is that, after the A's secure Iwamura, they might trade one of our top three pitchers and whatever else in order to pick up a power bat.

Frankly, that makes me really sad.

Bailey trade? :[

What I've been reading is that, after the A's secure Iwamura, they might trade one of our top three pitchers and whatever else in order to pick up a power bat.

Frankly, that makes me really sad.

Have hope, zube. If we can get our new ballpark moving this offseason it might be the last time we have to do this. Only way to stay competitive, unfortunately.

Have hope, zube. If we can get our new ballpark moving this offseason it might be the last time we have to do this. Only way to stay competitive, unfortunately.

• Expect the A's to trade pitching for offensive help if they can sign Japanese SP Hisashi Iwakuma, CSN Bay Area reports. Adding Iwakuma would allow general manager Billy Beane to package some of his young arms -- RP Andrew Bailey and SP Gio Gonzalez, for example -- for one or two much-needed run producers. The A's have a month to agree on a contract with Iwakuma, 29, after reportedly paying his Japan League team $16 million for the right to negotiate with him.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.c...-for-jeter#ixzz157Zy2NJ0

• Expect the A's to trade pitching for offensive help if they can sign Japanese SP Hisashi Iwakuma, CSN Bay Area reports. Adding Iwakuma would allow general manager Billy Beane to package some of his young arms -- RP Andrew Bailey and SP Gio Gonzalez, for example -- for one or two much-needed run producers. The A's have a month to agree on a contract with Iwakuma, 29, after reportedly paying his Japan League team $16 million for the right to negotiate with him.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.c...-for-jeter#ixzz157Zy2NJ0

"Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that A's GM Billy Beane said that no move will be ruled out this winter except for dealing starters Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, and Dallas Braden."

"Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that A's GM Billy Beane said that no move will be ruled out this winter except for dealing starters Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, and Dallas Braden."

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

Relieving, though I'm sure Billy would deal anyone for the right price.

Relieving, though I'm sure Billy would deal anyone for the right price.

I wonder if the Giants winning the World Series has anything to do with this.  I find it hard to believe with the abundance of good young pitching that you guys have, that you wouldnt even want to explore moving one of them.  Half way through this season, I was definitely an advocate of trading one of our pitchers. Looking back, Im obviously glad we didnt. 
laugh.gif
  I wonder if teams (A's included) are going to say "see....we CAN win with an amazing rotation and a mediocre offense."
Its interesting to say the least.  Your teams pitching could definitely carry you......but Im sure you all want a bat or two.

I wonder if the Giants winning the World Series has anything to do with this.  I find it hard to believe with the abundance of good young pitching that you guys have, that you wouldnt even want to explore moving one of them.  Half way through this season, I was definitely an advocate of trading one of our pitchers. Looking back, Im obviously glad we didnt. 
laugh.gif
  I wonder if teams (A's included) are going to say "see....we CAN win with an amazing rotation and a mediocre offense."
Its interesting to say the least.  Your teams pitching could definitely carry you......but Im sure you all want a bat or two.

Originally Posted by dland24

laugh.gif
The thing is, we've been trying that strategy for the past five years, since the original Big Three left. It's difficult, and doesn't pay off all the time. You guys did a great job, and hopefully we can come through soon.

Back
Top Bottom