Official Oakland Athletics Offseason Thread

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

"Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that A's GM Billy Beane said that no move will be ruled out this winter except for dealing starters Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, and Dallas Braden."

I wonder if the Giants winning the World Series has anything to do with this.  I find it hard to believe with the abundance of good young pitching that you guys have, that you wouldnt even want to explore moving one of them.  Half way through this season, I was definitely an advocate of trading one of our pitchers. Looking back, Im obviously glad we didnt. 
laugh.gif
  I wonder if teams (A's included) are going to say "see....we CAN win with an amazing rotation and a mediocre offense."
Its interesting to say the least.  Your teams pitching could definitely carry you......but Im sure you all want a bat or two.
The thing is, we've been trying that strategy for the past five years, since the original Big Three left. It's difficult, and doesn't pay off all the time. You guys did a great job, and hopefully we can come through soon.

"Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle writes that A's GM Billy Beane said that no move will be ruled out this winter except for dealing starters Trevor Cahill, Brett Anderson, Gio Gonzalez, and Dallas Braden."

I wonder if the Giants winning the World Series has anything to do with this.  I find it hard to believe with the abundance of good young pitching that you guys have, that you wouldnt even want to explore moving one of them.  Half way through this season, I was definitely an advocate of trading one of our pitchers. Looking back, Im obviously glad we didnt. 
laugh.gif
  I wonder if teams (A's included) are going to say "see....we CAN win with an amazing rotation and a mediocre offense."
Its interesting to say the least.  Your teams pitching could definitely carry you......but Im sure you all want a bat or two.
The A's have always valued pitching so much so I don't think it has much to do with the Giants winning, but I see where your coming from and it's definitely possible. Teams realize how important pitching is. Great pitching and timing hitting = WINS. Our issue is we have absolutely NO OFFENSE/POWER.
laugh.gif
You guys had a mediocre offense but at least here was a bit of pop with Huff n Uribe. Plus, Posey is +*@+$+! stud. If the A's can pick up 2 power bats, they can compete for a division title, but no way do they win with the offense we have right now. 

laugh.gif
The A's have always valued pitching so much so I don't think it has much to do with the Giants winning, but I see where your coming from and it's definitely possible. Teams realize how important pitching is. Great pitching and timing hitting = WINS. Our issue is we have absolutely NO OFFENSE/POWER.
laugh.gif
You guys had a mediocre offense but at least here was a bit of pop with Huff n Uribe. Plus, Posey is +*@+$+! stud. If the A's can pick up 2 power bats, they can compete for a division title, but no way do they win with the offense we have right now. 

Holy crap we actually gon try and do this? 
roll.gif
  Well given the fact that it looks like Billy gonna set a record for off-season moves perhaps this thread will be constantly resurrected.

My take on the players and staff:

Catcher
Zook - Gotta keep him cuz we just signed him to a friendly deal.  He was awful at the plate last year, but hopefully he bounces back.  However, if some deal pops up that hinges on him, I'd have no problem seeing a Powell/Donaldson platoon

Powell - Dude catches Braden well enough.  Plus he's got some clutchness and some pop

1st
Barton - beast

2nd
Ellis  - Still has the glove but no pop.  For our pitching staff he's good, but we need Cardenas or Weeks to make a push here.

SS
Pennington - Dude's glove and speed make him a keeper.  Exciting player to watch.  Hopefully his line can shift to something more like 275/330/380

3rd
Kooooz - If he stays, his bat needs to rebound.  His D is reeal good, but 3rd needs to have a pretty decent slugger there.  NOT Encarnacion (AKA E5)

OF
Coco - perfect Leadoff and CF, just gotta stay healthy
DeJesus - Solid D, good speed, hits for average, would have reached 3.5-4 WAR last year if  not for the injury.  A better Ryan Sweeney.
Sweeney - Good 4th Outfielder.  If the surgery went well and he can go back to improving on what he was 2 years ago he'd be a great 4th OF.
Rajai - Good 5th OF/ Pinch Runner.  Trot him out to CF every once in a while to keep CoCo fresh
Carter - I'd like to pencil him in to start next year if he TEARS UP spring training.  Otherwise, down to AAA to hone his OF skills
Conner Jackson - Meh.

DH
Cust - I kinda hate him, but numbers say that only Dunn, Manny, and Carlos Pena would be better.  None of those dudes coming here.

UTL
Rosales - Dude Hustles on everything.  Including Home runs.  Can play every infield position and Corner OF.  Decent bat with some pop.  Gotta keep him.
Tolleson - Basically same as Rosales minus the hustle
Sogard - Same as Tolleson with less pop

Would like to see Corey Wimberley come up.  Dudes got crazy speed (Raiders fan) and can run the bases more intelligently than Raj.

Starters
Gio Gonz - Said since beginning of last year that this dude will be the best of em all
Mr. Anderson - Right there with Gio for the best stuff, but injuries are becoming real annoying
Cahill - Only good because of Kooz, Penny, Ellis, and Barton behind him.  The ultimate sell-high prospect, but if we keep him, you better keep a good infield.  NO ENCARNACION.
Braden - Workhorse.  Best 5th starter in the league.  Great locker room guy.  Plus dude crushes the AL West.
Iwamura - Another ground baller with Amazing control 2BB/9 innings.  Plus that"shutto" pitch is gonna splinter a LOT of bats.  Sign him dammit.  Then go sign Yu Darvish.

Relievers
Breslow - Solid
Wurtz - Needs a bounce back
Bailey - Solid, but stop getting hurt
Other relievers scare me... Boof Bonser
sick.gif

We need some damn power.  We gon go hard after some type of power, but where?  Gotta be OF if Carter doesn't pan out, possibly 3B, maaaaybe DH.  That's about it.

Lew Wolff said he'd up the budget for Billy to get a power bat.  My guess is we go hard after Dunn (not gonna wanna DH), Konerko (not gonna wanna DH), Werth (not gonna wanna come here unless its for significantly more $$), and maaayyyyybe Man-Ram.

Should continue to be an interesting Offseason tho

Holy crap we actually gon try and do this? 
roll.gif
  Well given the fact that it looks like Billy gonna set a record for off-season moves perhaps this thread will be constantly resurrected.

My take on the players and staff:

Catcher
Zook - Gotta keep him cuz we just signed him to a friendly deal.  He was awful at the plate last year, but hopefully he bounces back.  However, if some deal pops up that hinges on him, I'd have no problem seeing a Powell/Donaldson platoon

Powell - Dude catches Braden well enough.  Plus he's got some clutchness and some pop

1st
Barton - beast

2nd
Ellis  - Still has the glove but no pop.  For our pitching staff he's good, but we need Cardenas or Weeks to make a push here.

SS
Pennington - Dude's glove and speed make him a keeper.  Exciting player to watch.  Hopefully his line can shift to something more like 275/330/380

3rd
Kooooz - If he stays, his bat needs to rebound.  His D is reeal good, but 3rd needs to have a pretty decent slugger there.  NOT Encarnacion (AKA E5)

OF
Coco - perfect Leadoff and CF, just gotta stay healthy
DeJesus - Solid D, good speed, hits for average, would have reached 3.5-4 WAR last year if  not for the injury.  A better Ryan Sweeney.
Sweeney - Good 4th Outfielder.  If the surgery went well and he can go back to improving on what he was 2 years ago he'd be a great 4th OF.
Rajai - Good 5th OF/ Pinch Runner.  Trot him out to CF every once in a while to keep CoCo fresh
Carter - I'd like to pencil him in to start next year if he TEARS UP spring training.  Otherwise, down to AAA to hone his OF skills
Conner Jackson - Meh.

DH
Cust - I kinda hate him, but numbers say that only Dunn, Manny, and Carlos Pena would be better.  None of those dudes coming here.

UTL
Rosales - Dude Hustles on everything.  Including Home runs.  Can play every infield position and Corner OF.  Decent bat with some pop.  Gotta keep him.
Tolleson - Basically same as Rosales minus the hustle
Sogard - Same as Tolleson with less pop

Would like to see Corey Wimberley come up.  Dudes got crazy speed (Raiders fan) and can run the bases more intelligently than Raj.

Starters
Gio Gonz - Said since beginning of last year that this dude will be the best of em all
Mr. Anderson - Right there with Gio for the best stuff, but injuries are becoming real annoying
Cahill - Only good because of Kooz, Penny, Ellis, and Barton behind him.  The ultimate sell-high prospect, but if we keep him, you better keep a good infield.  NO ENCARNACION.
Braden - Workhorse.  Best 5th starter in the league.  Great locker room guy.  Plus dude crushes the AL West.
Iwamura - Another ground baller with Amazing control 2BB/9 innings.  Plus that"shutto" pitch is gonna splinter a LOT of bats.  Sign him dammit.  Then go sign Yu Darvish.

Relievers
Breslow - Solid
Wurtz - Needs a bounce back
Bailey - Solid, but stop getting hurt
Other relievers scare me... Boof Bonser
sick.gif

We need some damn power.  We gon go hard after some type of power, but where?  Gotta be OF if Carter doesn't pan out, possibly 3B, maaaaybe DH.  That's about it.

Lew Wolff said he'd up the budget for Billy to get a power bat.  My guess is we go hard after Dunn (not gonna wanna DH), Konerko (not gonna wanna DH), Werth (not gonna wanna come here unless its for significantly more $$), and maaayyyyybe Man-Ram.

Should continue to be an interesting Offseason tho

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/oakland-breaks-off-talks-with-iwakuma.html
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/oakland-breaks-off-talks-with-iwakuma.html[h1]Oakland Breaks Off Talks With Iwakuma[/h1]
By Steve Adams [November 21, 2010 at 4:58pm CST]

4:58pm: Slusser writes that the figure Iwakuma was said to be seeking was including the posting fee. She also notes that Iwakuma wasn't looking for the same number of years as Zito, just the same annual salary. Oakland, on the other hand, was thinking somewhere along the lines of a $3MM-$5MM salary.

The A's are also looking for a power hitter, and one thought was that signing Iwakuma could have made Oakland a more appealing destination for Hideki Matsui.

Slusser says she recently spoke with a scout who saw Iwakuma pitch in Japan, and described the 29-year-old as "Nothing special. Just a guy." With Iwakuma presumably out of the picture, Slusser says a healthy Outman would be the frontrunner for the fifth starter job. The 26-year-old lefty was having a strong season in 2009 before he underwent Tommy John surgery and missed all of 2010.

3:38pm: The Athletics have broken off talks with Hisashi Iwakuma, according to thisseries of tweets from Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.

While the A's will have until December 7 to make a decision on Iwakuma, Slusser's sources have told her that Iwakuma was seeking something similar to Barry Zito's seven-year, $126MM contract with the Giants to sign in Oakland, which the A's are obviously unwilling to do. Iwakuma is preparing to announce his return to the Rakuten Golden Eagles at an upcoming fan fest.

If Iwakuma's demands don't come down, the A's will be down one fifth starter option, having traded Vin Mazzaro to Kansas City in exchange for David DeJesus. Slusser says the A's will then approach the season with Josh OutmanTyson Ross, and Bobby Cramer as fifth starter candidates, barring a free agent signing of course.

It's not unthinkable that the A's would venture to free agency to find a suitable replacement; they clearly have the money to spend on pitching should they see fit. Oakland bid around $17MM to win the rights to negotiate with Iwakuma, but that amount will be returned if no deal is reached.
[/h1]
There's no way he was expecting a single season salary near that amount.
laugh.gif
If that's what we wants, $$#% him and let's move on. I'm not worried about finding a number 5 starter. Spend the money on a bat. 

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/oakland-breaks-off-talks-with-iwakuma.html
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/oakland-breaks-off-talks-with-iwakuma.html[h1]Oakland Breaks Off Talks With Iwakuma[/h1]
By Steve Adams [November 21, 2010 at 4:58pm CST]

4:58pm: Slusser writes that the figure Iwakuma was said to be seeking was including the posting fee. She also notes that Iwakuma wasn't looking for the same number of years as Zito, just the same annual salary. Oakland, on the other hand, was thinking somewhere along the lines of a $3MM-$5MM salary.

The A's are also looking for a power hitter, and one thought was that signing Iwakuma could have made Oakland a more appealing destination for Hideki Matsui.

Slusser says she recently spoke with a scout who saw Iwakuma pitch in Japan, and described the 29-year-old as "Nothing special. Just a guy." With Iwakuma presumably out of the picture, Slusser says a healthy Outman would be the frontrunner for the fifth starter job. The 26-year-old lefty was having a strong season in 2009 before he underwent Tommy John surgery and missed all of 2010.

3:38pm: The Athletics have broken off talks with Hisashi Iwakuma, according to thisseries of tweets from Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle.

While the A's will have until December 7 to make a decision on Iwakuma, Slusser's sources have told her that Iwakuma was seeking something similar to Barry Zito's seven-year, $126MM contract with the Giants to sign in Oakland, which the A's are obviously unwilling to do. Iwakuma is preparing to announce his return to the Rakuten Golden Eagles at an upcoming fan fest.

If Iwakuma's demands don't come down, the A's will be down one fifth starter option, having traded Vin Mazzaro to Kansas City in exchange for David DeJesus. Slusser says the A's will then approach the season with Josh OutmanTyson Ross, and Bobby Cramer as fifth starter candidates, barring a free agent signing of course.

It's not unthinkable that the A's would venture to free agency to find a suitable replacement; they clearly have the money to spend on pitching should they see fit. Oakland bid around $17MM to win the rights to negotiate with Iwakuma, but that amount will be returned if no deal is reached.
[/h1]
There's no way he was expecting a single season salary near that amount.
laugh.gif
If that's what we wants, $$#% him and let's move on. I'm not worried about finding a number 5 starter. Spend the money on a bat. 

Given the large amount of nothing productive we've done this offseason, I don't mind the matsui addition at all. No one else of any importance would even give us a look, so I can respect Matsui for coming here. We signed our 5th starter, Brandon McCarthy, as well.

Given the large amount of nothing productive we've done this offseason, I don't mind the matsui addition at all. No one else of any importance would even give us a look, so I can respect Matsui for coming here. We signed our 5th starter, Brandon McCarthy, as well.

Corey Wimberly is the man. I worked with the River Cats as an intern this past season and this guy just gives it his all every single game + his speed make him even more valuable (on a side note, he's fluent in Spanish). A lot of the scouts that came by throughout the season said they didn't think he will ever make it up to the Major's, but I really hope he does.

As for Carter, I think waiting to see how he does in Spring Training first is the best option for the A's. Dude struck out so many time during his end of the season stint with them, but was money in the PCL the entire season. He just needs to get that confidence. Plus he spent most of his time at 1B with Sacramento. Same goes with Michael Taylor, he had an off year with Sacramento, but he should be great for the A's in due time, he just needs to get some confidence as well. It seems like whenever he goes into a slump he just loses all the confidence he has.

Corey Wimberly is the man. I worked with the River Cats as an intern this past season and this guy just gives it his all every single game + his speed make him even more valuable (on a side note, he's fluent in Spanish). A lot of the scouts that came by throughout the season said they didn't think he will ever make it up to the Major's, but I really hope he does.

As for Carter, I think waiting to see how he does in Spring Training first is the best option for the A's. Dude struck out so many time during his end of the season stint with them, but was money in the PCL the entire season. He just needs to get that confidence. Plus he spent most of his time at 1B with Sacramento. Same goes with Michael Taylor, he had an off year with Sacramento, but he should be great for the A's in due time, he just needs to get some confidence as well. It seems like whenever he goes into a slump he just loses all the confidence he has.

A's really need their young position players to step up.

We also need depth (or a new training/medical staff) because it seems like every year the injuries pile up.

Lastly, I hope MLB resolves the A's stadium status STAT. This team is going to remain in limbo until then.

We also need depth (or a new training/medical staff) because it seems like every year the injuries pile up.

Lastly, I hope MLB resolves the A's stadium status STAT. This team is going to remain in limbo until then.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

The A's have a whole new training and medical staff. That may be the biggest acquisition of the season. 

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

The A's have a whole new training and medical staff. That may be the biggest acquisition of the season. 

Back
Top Bottom