OFFICIAL PBA THREAD

RED BULL MAULS LISTLESS REALTORS
Barakos stick close to leaders with runaway win
s.

Red Bull built the momentum towards the end of the opening quarter and stepped up its drive in the last three periods as the Barakos posted their biggest win since a 96-66 massacre of the Purefoods Giants in the 2002 All-Filipino Conference.

Blowing cold after fighting the Barakos through seven lead changes in the first quarter, the Realtors suffered their worst defeat since a 52-86 blowout by the San Miguel Beermen in the 2000 All-Filipino
tourney.

"The team made up for our bad game against Ginebra. So far, that was James Penny's worst game and he also made up for it very early in the game," said Red Bull coach Yeng Guiao.

"I thought it would gonna be tough but they folded up in the third quarter. I guess the experience of our coaching staff worked to our advantage. Boyet (Fernandez) is still adjusting," Guiao added.

Penny scored 12 of his 23 points in the third period with Cyrus Baguio and Rich Alvarez adding seven apiece as the Barakos ripped the game apart at 78-55.

And as it wasn't enough, the Barakos pressed their bid harder in the final canto.

They started the fourth quarter with a 10-to-nothing run and kept leads of more than 30 points the rest of the way.

"I guess Sta. Lucia is still in a period of adjustment with a new coach in Boyet. Medyo nakuha na nila the last time, but we really played well tonight," said Guiao.

"We didn't want to crush their confidence this way. But we really wanted to play well and we wanted to build our confidence," Guiao added.

Red Bull played with great confidence that all the players fielded in broke into the scoring column.

Baguio, Enrico Villanueva, Carlo Sharma and Junthy Valenzuela also wound up in double figures like Penny.

The Barakos converted 47.8 percent of their three-point attempts and 49.3 percent of their two-point tries. The Realtors, on the other hand, struggled with a 35.6-percent shooting clip.

Guiao now hopes to make another run as they play the red-hot Air21 squad next.

"Medyo mainit sila, we have to stay focused on the job at hand," said Guiao.

The scores:
Red Bull 114 Penny 23, Villanueva 19, Baguio 12, Sharma 10, Valenzuela 10, Fonacier 8, Alvarez 7, Cruz 7, Robinson 6, Hrabak 5, Najorda 3, Bugia 2, Ybanez 2.

Sta. Lucia 79 Williams 21, Wilson 15, Omolon 12, Bughao 11, Catli 6, Espino 67, Mendoza 3, Calimag 2, Gonzales 2, Cabagnot 1, Isip 0, Duremdes 0, Aquino 0.

Quarterscores: 21-17, 44-35, 78-55, 114-79

TALK N TEXT WHIPS WELCOAT ON THE ROAD
Sullinger leads 6 Phone Pals in double figures
and dominated the Dragons up to the finish in an emphatic 100-78 victory that gave them a .500 mark in four outings in the Talk N Text PBA Fiesta Conference.

J.J. Sullinger set the tone of the match early while going 3-of-3 from beyond the arc in the first period of the game which was the league's first in Cabanatuan City in 12 years.

With the entire team hitting at a 48-percent field-goal shooting, the Pals took a 53-26 halftime advantage and were never threatened in the final 24 minutes of play.

The Phone Pals improved their record to 2-2 while dealing the Dragons a fourth defeat against a lone win.

Humbled by Air21 the last time out, Talk N Text buckled down to work early, opening up a 28-10 margin going into the second period.

The Phone Pals also came out smoking in the second half and built a led as big as 32 at 60-28 on baskets by Sullinger and Yancy de Ocampo. They settled for a 78-48 bulge at the end of the third canto.

Sullinger finished with 20 points, including an acrobatic slam following a miss by Vic Pablo a move sending the crowd on their feet and making the count 94-59 with 4:47 left.

The dependable TNT import went 4-of-8 from the three-point land and also came through with 15 rebounds.

Welcoats Charles Clark wound up with 33 points on a 16-of-32 shooting and added 15 rebounds. However, the rest of the team scored seven or less.

The Phone Pals waged a well-balanced offense with six of them finishing in double figures.

The scores:

Talk N Text 100 Sullinger 20, Cardona 13, Washington 12, Billones 11, Allado 10, Belano 10, De Ocampo Y. 9 , Carey 3, Fran 3, Aldave 0, Santos 0.

Welcoat 78 Clark 33, Ibanes 7, Sta. Maria 6, Lao 5, Reyes 5, Wainwright 3, Feihl 3, Lopez 3, Baguion 3, Gelig 3, Sagad 2, Compton 2,

Quarterscores: 28-10, 53-26, 78-48, 100-78.

PBA IN MOURNING: KUME JUN B, 59
Longest-serving commissioner in fatal heart attack
ing a long stint in the pro league that saw him work as a TV interviewer, executive secretary, executive director, deputy commissioner and finally commissioner.
Bernardino became a PBA commissioner in 1994 at 46. He retired after the 2002 season after suffering his first attack on April 30 of that year.

PBA teams were told to wear black bands in the duration of the Talk N Text Fiesta Conference as the league pays tribute to its longest-serving commissioner.

The PBA is deeply saddened by the sudden demise of the late commissioner Jun Bernardino, the epitome of professionalism and vision of the PBA which he nurtured and led through its glory years. The PBA will always remember his record for longevity, his ability to rise above crisis and his affinity to the public and he will be forever be remembered, said current PBA commissioner Noli Eala, who succeeded Bernardino in 2003.

Weve been bosom friends for more than half a century. He has no equal in goodness of heart and was Christ-like with his all-forgiving nature. He is irreplaceable in my heart, said Sonny Barrios, a classmate from grade school who went to work with Bernardino in the PBA, the last as his deputy commissioner.

He was an extremely patient man, an endearing quality that won him countless friends and allowed him to steer the PBA to where it is right now, said Atty. Butch Cleofe, another close friend from way back who also served the PBA.

I was fortunate enough to have seen and be a part of his tenure in the PBA. I cant forget his diplomacy in trying to make the PBA stronger and bigger. He kept on saying hes there to bear the brunt of criticism rather than see the Governors at odds and divided, said Sta. Lucia board representative and for league Chairman Buddy Encarnado.

I consider him as one of my mentors, among the guiding lights in my career. Inabot ko yung ibang dating PBA leaders but Im closest with commissioner Bernardino. Hes a big loss, said Coca-Cola team manager Allan Caidic.

Bernardino was at the helm when the PBA in 1996 achieved record gate receipts and sales, all-time figures which still stand today. The current PBA board has in fact set an assault at the 1996 records as among its goals this campaign.

In 1998, Bernardino and past PBA commissioners Leo Prieto and Rudy Salud were bestowed Lifetime Achievement Awards by the Philippine Sportswriters Association. A year later, Bernardino became the recipient of the Executive of the Year honors during the PBA Press Corps Annual Awards.

ACES STAVE OFF TIGERS, GAIN SHARE OF 2ND
Miller explodes in 4th quarter to lead Alaska
in a long while. And Rosell being with us has really made a big impact. Hopefully we could keep it going, he added.

Before going about their game, Cone took time to share to the media how much he respected the late commissioner Jun Bernardino, who passed away Saturday due to cardiac arrest.

Jun B is a very special person to me. The greatest honor he gave me was when he selected me to be coach of the 1998 Centennial Team (to the Bangkok Asiad) and he stuck with me through thick and thin, Cone related.

That was why when he retired I had wanted to sit down with him and have some drinks but I didnt get the chance. And all I can do now is bring the whole team to his wake to pay our last respects.

Ellis also had 11 rebounds, seven assists and four steals in 43 minutes while Miller added seven assists and two steals to show the way for the Aces, who are in their best conference start since going 5-1 in the 2004 edition of this tournament.

Our bench also contributed a lot tonight. The guys are distributing the basketball and playing well. Rensy (Bajar) and Poch (Juinio) were a revelation tonight. If you have a bench that comes out and plays as if the coach has magic wand and knows what hes doing, they make the coach look good, Cone said.

Bajar, scored 11 points off the bench, nine in the second quarter to lead a big game by Alaskas reserves which outscored the Coca-Cola bench, 25-19 in the period as the Aces took a 51-39 lead at halftime.

Jeffrey Cariaso scored 15 points and Joachim Thoss added 11 for Alaska which shot 56 percent from the field and had a 28-14 advantage in assists, an indication that the Aces got everybody involved.

Peek tallied 19 points and Leo Avenido came off the bench and scored 16 of his career-high 18 points in the fourth quarter to spark a mighty surge by the Tigers in the fourth quarter.

Avenido, who returned to the Coca-Cola camp prior to the start of the conference, capped his game by hitting three consecutive threes that pulled the Tigers to within 88-93 with 4:33 remaining. But Coca-Cola couldnt keep it going and fell to its second straight defeat and third in their last four games after a 2-0 start.

The scores:

Alaska 106 Miller 19, Ellis 18, Cariaso 15, Thoss 11, Bajar 11, Hugnatan 8, Ferriols 8, Juinio 6, Belasco 6, Laure 4, Aban 0, Singson 0.

Coca-Cola 100 Johnson 32, Peek 19, Avenido 18, Antonio 16, Miranda 7, Tolomia 4, Pacana 2, Arigo 2, Franco 0, Misolas 0.

Quarterscores: 20-20, 51-39, 76-62, 106-100.

GINEBRA ASSERTS MASTERY OVER BEERMEN
Nealys 43 fuels Kings 4th win in a row

Sunday, 25 March 2007

They offered a minute of silence for the late league commissioner Jun Bernardino then the Barangay Ginebra Kings and the San Miguel Beermen plunged into action as the PBA, though in mourning, went on with the show at the Araneta Coliseum Sunday.

The Kings emerged triumphant, pulling off a 102-84 victory as they kept their mastery of the Beermen whom they have beaten in six games in the recent Philippine Cup.

Dating back to the first conference, the Kings made it five in a row over the Beermen in their head-on collisions, sustaining their juggernaught to regain a piece of second place with the Red Bull Barakos and the Alaska Aces in the season-ending 2007 Talk N Text Fiesta Conference.

Rod Nealy missed by two points what could have been a new season high individual output. He finished with 43 and added 17 rebounds, leading the Kings to a fourth straight win after a losing debut against the Alaska Aces.

Rudy Hatfield had his own double-double game with 22 points and 11 rebounds as the Kings kept the Beermen winless in the tourney in five games.

San Miguel has been winless the last nine games now dating back to the All-Filipino Finals.

"Its good while were still working on many things in our game, were winning games," said Ginebra coach Jong Uichico after beating former assistant Siot Tanquingcen in their first meeting after the latters return to San Miguel.

"Were getting there, finding the right way to win. Problema lang nagiging stagnant kami. It happened in some parts of tonights game. Luckily, we pulled through in the end," Uichico also said.

It was a bizarre game where the Kings imposed their will in the first quarter, the Beermen returned the compliment in the next then the Kings made another
swashbuckling run in the third.

The Kings squandered a 21-point first-half lead before reestablishing control in the second half, taking two 18-point bulges at 81-63 and 83-85.

Falling behind by 21 at 15-36 early in the second period, the Beermen waged a big fightback to seize the lead, 49-48, at the half.

San Miguel even led by eight, 49-41, towards the end of the second period behind the guns of Paul McMillan, Chris Calaguio and Olsen Racela.

McMillan also finished with huge numbers with 41 points and 12 rebounds.

However, only one local San Miguel player in Calaguio provided double-digit contribution with 11.

The Kings, however, kept the Beermen from pulling away.

Nealy and Hatfield joined forces in the third quarter, combining for 28 as Ginebra regained control at 81-63.

Johnny Abarrientos, Ronald Tubid and Mark Macapagal then also made their presence felt as the Kings sustained their charge in the fourth and completed the win.

The scores:

Ginebra 102 Nealy 43, Hatfield 22, Tubid 14, Abarrientos 10, Macapagal 5, Echavez 2, Mamaril 2, Salvacion 2, Santos 2, Holper 0.

San Miguel 84 McMillan 41, Calaguio 11, Gonzales 7, Cablay 7, Espinas 6, Tenorio 5, Racela 5, Pena 2, Adducul 0, Adriano 0.

Quarterscores: 34-15, 48-49, 81-63, 102-84.

PBA family remembers Bernardino

The Philippine Star 03/26/2007

To people who really know the late Emilio "Jun" Bernardino, the long-time PBA commissioner was not only a leader but also man of integrity and character, a true friend and great mentor.

Two days after his death due to cardiac arrest, tribute continued to pour in for the PBA top honcho from 1994-2002.

The PBA was business as usual yesterday at the Araneta Coliseum but the mood was somber and gloomy with about everybody mourning the loss of the former commissioner.

Officials, coaches, players and employees shared personal experiences with the league chief called Jun B, Ibok or Kume.

"Commissioner Jun B was the one who hired me. But before giving me a job in the PBA, he recommended me first to the PBL to get my feet wet. Whatever we have achieved in the PBA, his mentoring was a big influence," said PBA technical chief Perry Martinez.

"His point of view was different. We may not be doing the same thing, but when we discuss things, we put on the table the perspective how its done before," said Martinez.

"Hes a different kind of a boss. Hes a boss and a friend at the same time. But he called a spade a spade. If youre wrong, youre wrong. He would not defend wrong calls to the ball clubs," said assistant technical chief Jun Cordero, who was a referee during Bernardinos time as commissioner.

"To me, hes a boss and father at the same time. My dad has long gone and Commissioner Jun B knew it. He treated me like a daughter. Actually, were like a big family in the office and hes our father," said Odessa Encarnacion, a former SGV auditor recruited by Bernardino to be the PBA accountant seven years ago.

Bong Hawkins, Alfrancis Chua and Itoy Esguerra were among those who underscored the fact that Bernardino did not just serve the interests of the ball clubs but also the welfare of individuals in the league.

Under Bernardinos watch, Hawkins, Chua and Esguerra won contractual disputes with different teams. These cases involved millions of pesos the Commissioners Office awarded the three individuals.

"Parehas iyang si Kume. Malaki ang naitulong sa kaso namin," said Esguerra.

Bernardino was also hailed as commissioner with a heart for the fans.

"I cant forget the PBAs first trip in Zamboanga. We were done with the tree-planting program. While all the players were already back in the buses, Kume was still under the searing midday sun, accommodating the fans," said league staffer Joy Lopez.

Bernardino, of course, had his ups and downs, joys and sorrows in the league. He shed tears as the all-pro team to the Busan Asian Games, missed a shot at the gold medal on a last-second three-pointer by Korea.

"That was the time I became closest with him. He gave his all-out support to the team and the countrys cause," said then RP team coach Jong Uichico.

"When we lost, he really felt for the team. Sama-sama kaming umiyak," Uichico added.

HATFIELD PREDICTS SEASON SWEEP FOR GINEBRA
Mark & Jayjay may nor be around but I'll carry this team to the Finals
of the season following a self-imposed two-year absence in the PBA was to predict a Ginebra title romp in the last Philippine Cup.

"I told you it will be done."

Now the Kings are showing encouraging signs of delivering Hatfield his second wish.

Since losing to Alaska Aces in their debut game in the ongoing conference, the Kings have racked up four successive wins, the last of which came at the expense of the San Miguel Beermen Sunday night, 102-84.

Import Rod Nealy, slowly blending well with the rest of the Kings, exploded for 43 points and 17 rebounds while Hatfield came up with his own double-double of 22-11 in the team's fifth straight victory over the Beermen dating back to the Philippine Cup Finals.

The win streak propelled the Kings to a 4-1 card and a three-way tie at second with Alaska and Red Bull, just a notch behind league leader Air21 (4-0).

The consecutive victories didn't surprise the Kings' key players.

"We've still got a pretty solid core," Hatfield noted.

Eric Menk, fast recovering from the injury that sidelined him for most of the last conference, shared the same sentiment.

"I agree with Rudy. I think we still do have a solid core that can get the job done. As a team, we're still very competitive," said the former league MVP.

Hatfield readily pointed out the superb job being done by veteran guard Johnny Abarrientos reason why the Kings are so organized and moving so well. He also cited the support provided by the team's bevy of role players, from Sunday Salvacion, Ronald Tubid, Mark Macapagal to Billy Mamaril.

"As a team solid pa rin kami, so I'm sure kaya pa naming lumaban sa championship" noted Abarrientos, playing in his 14th season in the league.

"Me asim pa naman tayo. Kaya pa nating lumusot, magpasa at umiskor. Feeling ko parang Grandslam year ulit," added the guard out of Far Eastern U as he
tried to relive his Grand Slam season with his former team Alaska in 1996.

As the Kings slowly inch their way to the top, Hatfield asks Barangay Ginebra supporters to hitch with them and enjoy the ride.

"I hope the fans we'll be there everytime we play and I promise, we'll get the job done," he said

PHIL CUP PERPETUAL TROPHY NAMED AFTER BERNARDINO
Valuable Orlina masterpiece embodies Jun Bs lasting legacy

Tuesday, 27 March 2007

The Philippine Basketball Association will immortalize the legacy of the late commissioner Emilio Jun' Bernardino by naming the Philippine Cup Perpetual Trophy after the highly-esteemed former league chieftain.

PBA commissioner Noli Eala said apart from being the longest-serving commissioner in the league, Bernardino's lasting legacy as a hardworking man with unmatched dedicated to his job deserves to be preserved.

Eala said there could not have been a more fitting way to honor Bernardino than naming the award after him. A symbol of excellence and given to the champion of the most prestigious PBA conference the Philippine Cup.

"While deeply saddened by his untimely demise, it is the PBA's pride to name the Perpetual Trophy after the late Jun Bernardino, whose professionalism, dedication and vision in his capacity as commissioner for nine long years had propelled the league to greater heights," said Eala of his well respected predecessor.

The Perpetual Trophy costs more than half a million pesos and is made of 24-karat gold. It was crafted by world-renowned national artist Ramon Orlina. The award is permanently given to a team that wins the All-Filipino conference three times in a row.
Bernardino died of heart attack early dawn of Saturday. He was 59.

A basketball man all his life, Bernardino rose from the ranks as assistant coach of Tefillin, to being a sideline interviewer as the original Man on the Ball', before becoming executive secretary, executive director, deputy commissioner and finally as the fifth commissioner of Asia's first play-for-pay league.

He served as head of the country's No. 1 sports entertainment from 1994-2002, a stint that saw him steer the league to all-time records in both attendance and gate receipts, figures that stand until today.

Bernardino stepped down after the 2002 season after suffering his first heart attack.

The PBA will be holding a tribute to Bernardino when the league celebrates its 32nd anniversary on April 8.

Eala said the PBA will also include the charitable institutions being supported by Bernardino, such as the Kamay ni Hesus Foundation under Fr. Joey Faller, in the list of foundations the league has been helping throughout the years.

Last Sunday, PBA teams began wearing black patches or bands on their uniforms in memory of the man people know as Kume Jun B.. The practice will be kept for the duration of the Talk N Text Fiesta Conference.

RED BULL VAULTS TO THE TOP
Penny shrugs off Express rugged defense, explodes for 40
the third quarter.

This is for the conference leadership so we really treated it as a special game, said Red Bull head coach Yeng Guiao after the Barakos improved to a 5-1 (win-loss) record.

It was a matter of Penny coming through again for us offensively and defensively, Guiao added.

Penny shot 14-of-34 from the field and 11-of-16 from the free throw line, had four shotblocks and grabbed 14 rebounds for his sixth double-double in as many games.

As good and as hard as Air21 played, I really felt this is the game where the breaks might now work against their favor, Guiao offered.

The Red Bull chieftain said his troops confidence is so high coming off a 35-point romp over the Sta. Lucia Realtors last week. In contrast he said, the Express, who came into the game with a four-game winning streak, were flirting with the law of averages.

Junthy Valenzuela scored 15 points, Baguio added 12 and Sharma and Larry Fonacier had 10 apiece for Red Bull which shot 44 percent from the field, had a 21-16 edge in fastbreak points and netted 29 turnover points, 12 more than the Express, who committed 24 errors.

The Express went into the game determined to extend further their franchise record four-game winning streak. And they knew well that to accomplish their mission they had to contain their biggest obstacle Penny.

So Air21 coach Bo Perasol threw in his best frontline defenders Nino Canaleta, Arwind Santos, Homer Se, Bryan Bernardo and Mark Telan one after the other to work on Red Bulls versatile import.

Unfortunately, neither one of them succeeded in containing Penny and worse, each one of them went into foul trouble at the end of the opening half.

To add insult to injury, Se, who knocked Penny down on a hard foul earlier, was ejected from the game after making physical contact with a game official while trying to plea his case.

Shawn Daniels tallied 29 points and 19 boards, missing his second triple-double of the conference by just two assists. Gary David added 24 and Santos chipped in 21 for the Express, who had their poor shooting from the foul line partly to blame for the defeat. Air21 made just 22-of- 37 free throws.

Red Bull led 106-97 with 8:03 left but Air21, refusing to just roll over and die, gave the Barakos a big scare following an 8-0 run that ended with back-to-back baskets by Daniels which pulled the Express within 105-106 with 5:35 left.

But Penny split his free throws, Baguio scored on a lay-up and Sharma, fresh off the bench, scored on a follow-up as the Barakos stretched the lead to 111-105 and held on to the end.

The scores:

Red Bull 116 Penny 40, Valenzuela 15, Baguio 12, Fonacier 10, Sharma 10, Najorda 6, Robinson 6, Cruz 6, Villanueva 5, Alvarez 4, Bugia 2, Ybanez 0, Hrabak 0.

Air21 111 Daniels 29, David 24, Santos 21, Telan 10, Canaleta 9, Arboleda 5, Andaya 4, Dimaunahan 3, Bernardo 2, Se 2, Torion 2.
Quarterscores: 31-22, 67-54, 95-86, 116-111.

PUREFOODS WINS BEHIND YAPS 4TH QTR SPREE
Reigning MVP explodes for 15 in payoff period

Wednesday, 28 March 2007

Purefoods made a turnaround in the fourth quarter with Marquin Chandler miring on the bench in foul-trouble situation, overcoming Talk n Text, 101-95, Wednesday night at the Araneta Coliseum.

College buddies James Yap and Paul Artadi delivered the goods with Chandler helpless on the sideline, leading the Giants to a second win in their last three games in the Talk n Text PBA Fiesta Cup.

Purefoods improved to 2-4 while Talk n Text slid to 2-3.

Yap, who was 0-of-8 from the field in the first three quarters, fired three triples and totaled 15 points in the payoff period, most of which coming from perfect feeds of former fellow UE stalwart Artadi.

Chandler sat out the first eight minutes of the last period but helped ice the win with six points in the last four minutes.

The prolific import rifled in a triple coming off the bench and the Giants took a 92-84 advantage heading into the final three minutes. He finished with 29 points, 19 rebounds and six assists in his third game with Purefoods this tourney.

"My much maligned locals showed up tonight. Theyre saying we couldnt be consistent or were not good at all. But when Marquin got into foul-trouble, the locals stepped up big time," said Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio.

"James (Yap) and Paul (Artadi) played like partners playing good music together for a long time. They ignited our fourth-quarter comeback," Gregorio added.

With Purefoods having lost an early 17-point lead, Yap and Artadi carried the fight for the Giants, teaming up in a decisive run that had the team regaining control at 89-84.

Yap went 3-of-4 from beyond the arc while Artadi issued six assists and scored four points in carrying the load for Purefoods in the first eight minutes of the fourth.

Chandler, Rey Evangelista and Richard Yee earlier took the cudgels for the Giants as they dominated the first half, leading by 17 at 28-11.

They settled for a 28-14 lead at the end of the first quarter then sat on a 48-39 cushion at halftime.

Talk n Text got into the game in the third as J.J. Sullinger came out smoking from the halftime huddle.

Sullinger scattered 16 of his game-high 34 points in the third quarter and the Pals seized a 70-68 lead going into the final 12 minutes of play.

Sullinger got the better end of his match-up with Chandler in the third period with the Purefoods import limited to 11 and, worse, picking up his fifth foul towards the end of the quarter.

But Chandler enjoyed watching his local teammates make the turnaround for his team in the final canto.

"My hats off to my teammates. They showed a lot of pride," said Chandler.

The scores:

Purefoods 101 Chandler 29, Yap J. 23, Yee 14, Evangelista 11, Salvador 8, Castillo 8, Artadi 4, Simon 4, Yap R. 0.

Talk n Text 95 Sullinger 34, Cardona 15, Washington 14, Carey 13, Allado 6, Belano 6, Fran 3, De Ocampo 3, Billones 1.

Quarterscores: 28-14, 48-39, 68-70, 101-95

WILLIAMS SHINES AS STA. LUCIA DUMPS SMB IN MUNTINLUPA worst in 21 years
Friday, 30 March 2007

Sta. Lucia Realty squandered a 17-point third-quarter lead but recovered at endgame, pulling off a 95-90 win over San Miguel Beer in the 2007 Talk N Text PBA Fiesta Conference at the Fresnedi Sports Center in Muntinlupa Thursday night.

The Realtors came through with a decisive 13-2 run towards the end, holding off the Beermen for their second win in their last three games.

While Sta. Lucia improved its overall win-loss record to 2-3, San Miguel remained winless in six outings the teams worst start in a tourney in the last 21 years.

The Beermen's woes continued, disappointing the predominantly San Miguel crowd inside the spanking new Fresnedi Sports Center which played host to a PBA game for the first time ever.

Nonetheless, the highly appreciative crowd was treated to a good night of basketball.

Kelly Williams tossed in 17 points, including a slam off an alley-oop pass by Kenneth Duremdes and a three-point play off Christian Calaguio in the vicious run that all but settled the outcome of the game, 91-84, entering the last two minutes of play.

Paul McMillan outscored the entire Sta. Lucia team, 18-14, in getting the Beermen back into the fight in the third quarter. But he seemed to spend himself with his third-quarter explosion, scoring only four in the payoff period.

Rock Winston, on the other hand, had less production but made his presence felt in the clutch.

He showed tremendous hustle, sending the crowd on their feet in one instance when he hauled down three straight offensive rebounds off his own misses.

Unsuccessful in three attempts, Winston eventually passed the ball to Duremdes who scored on a layup off Brandon Cablay as Sta. Lucia regained the upper hand at 83-82.

San Miguel took the lead for the last time at 84-83 on a short jumper by Cablay before Sta. Lucia surged ahead to stay at 91-84.

Putting behind them their 35-point blowout by the Red Bull Barakos the last time out, the Realtors established control early and sat on a 56-41 cushion at halftime.

Marlou Aquino getting into foul-trouble situation early didn't stop the Realtors from dominating the first two quarters of play.

Aquino picked up his fourth foul 10 minutes into the game. He returned in the third quarter only to commit two quick fouls, thus, heading to the showers early.

McMillan imposed his will in the third period, doing practically everything as the Beermen raced ahead at 73-66.

The burly import stole off Ricky Calimag, and then scored on a breakaway jam to tie the count at 64-all.

The scores:

Sta. Lucia 95 Williams 17, Winston 15, Cabagnot 15, Duremdes 12, Espino 10, Mendoza 10, Aquino 6, Isip 4, Calimag 4, Omolon 2.

San Miguel 90 McMillan 31, Pena 13, Tenorio 11, Wilson 10, Cablay 10, Calaguio 10, Racela 3, Ildefonso 2, Espinas 0, Adducul 0.

Quarterscores: 24-27, 56-41, 70-73, 95-90.

WELCOAT GETS BACK ON TRACK, WHIPS AIR21 IN OT
Rookie Reyes shines; Clark comes up with his best game
s seeing action in the Aces game against Purefoods Saturday at the Subic Gym when the Uytengsu franchise tries to gain a share of the lead.

The scores:

Welcoat 103 Clark 40, Reyes 19, Lopez 19, Wainwright 10, Compton 8, Gelig 5, Ibanes 2, Baguion 0, Cabatu 0, Lao 0, Feihl 0.

Air21 99 David 27, Daniels 20, Santos 17, Canaleta 10, Dimaunahan 7, Arboleda 7, Telan 5, Andaya 4, Torion 2.

Quarterscores: 19-19, 34-45, 60-57, 93-93, 103-99.

TALK N TEXT HALTS GINEBRA RUN
Sullinger, Cardona lead Pal's assault on undermanned Kings

Friday, 30 March 2007

It went a while before the reality set it.

Though decimated further by the exit of Rudy Hatfield and Johnny
Abarrientos, Barangay Ginebra put up a brave front against Talk n Text
only to fade away in the end.

Getting a mouthful from coach Derrick Pumaren at halftime, the Pals
shifted their game into high gear in the second half and went on to
overcome the depleted but fierce-fighting Kings, 99-92, in the Talk n
Text PBA Fiesta Cup at the Araneta Coliseum Friday night.

"Minus Asi Taulava, Renren Ritualo and Jimmy Alapag, the bottom line
is that we have guys who need to step. But we've yet to do it
consistently. Like tonight, kinailangan ko pang sabunin ang team at
the half," said Pumaren.

"I'm happy with Sully (J.J. Sullinger). He creates things for us. But
he needs help. He's still learning how to play as an import in our
league," Pumaren also said.

After the tongue-lashing from their coach at the break, the Pals
worked resolutely on both ends then things fell in to place for the
team as they nailed a third win against the same number of losses.

"Minus three key players, we have to raise the level of our game. But
we've yet to do it on a consistent basis," said Pumaren. "We're
playing San Miguel next. We have to be on our toes since San Miguel
has long been on a slump and they could already be due for a win."

Mark Cardona and Egay Billones were two local players who responded to
Pumaren's challenge as Talk n Text dealt Ginebra a second defeat in
six outings.

Cardona went 2-of-3 from the three-point area and finished with 28
points while Billones converted three of his six three-point tries and
wound up with 14 points.

Sullinger was in his usual deadly form, leading the Pals with 31
points, 13 rebounds, four assists, three steals and one block.

Rod Nealy also had solid numbers with 34 points, 14 rebounds and seven
assists but the Kings sorely missed the services of Hatfield and
Abarrientos.

Hatfield has taken an indefinite leave of absence to sort out personal
problem in the United States. Abarrientos sat out the game due to an
injury.

Nonetheless, the Kings played a solid game in the first half, carrying
a 54-43 margin into the final half.

But the Pals were able to neutralize the Kings in the third with
Sullinger, Cardona and Billones starring on the offensive end.

The Pals caught up at 58-all on a jumper by Sullinger midway through
the third then the two teams fought on even terms in the next 12
minutes.

Talk n Text delivered the dagger through Ginebra's heart on a 9-2 run
that gave the Pals a 90-81 lead entering the final two-minute mark.

The scores:
Talk n Text 99 Sullinger 31, Cardona 28, Billones 14, Carey 8,
Allado 8, Washington 5, Fran 3, Belano 2, Pablo 0, De Ocampo 0.

Ginebra 92 Nealy 34, Macapagal 12, Menk 10, Chia 8, Tubid 8,
Salvacion 6, Mamaril 5, Seigle 4, Echavez 3, Santos 2, Holper 0.

Quarterscores: 21-23, 43-54, 69-65, 99-92

HOMETOWN HERO MILLER SHINES FOR ALASKA IN SUBIC
Alaska Aces gain share of lead
and blazing windup as they stretched their streak to three games to draw level with the Barakos atop the chart with identical 4-1 win-loss cards.

Alaska opened up with 10 unanswered points and played steadily up to the finish in dealing Purefoods its fifth defeat against two wins.

The Giants are now 2-2 with Marquin Chandler as their import in the season-ending tourney.

Chandler had a game-high 34 points but Alaska countered with a balanced offense that saw four Alaska Aces finish in double figures.

Coach Tim Cone and his troops pulled away in the final quarter while shooting 45 percent from the field compared to Purefoods paltry 27-percent clip.

The Aces outscored the Giants, 24-17, in the last canto.

Willie Miller paced the Aces with 23 points, including a jumper to close the scoring at 94-80 with 30 seconds left in the clock. That was the biggest margin in the contest.

Jeffrey Cariaso contributed 18 points, Rossel Ellis added 12 and Sonny Thoss chipped in 11.

Nic Belasco hit a 10-footer from the left flank then bombed away a trey as the Aces closed the first half with a 45-42 lead.

The Aces also settled for a three-point margin, 25-22, at the end of the first quarter although they came out strong, scoring the first 10 points of the contest.

The Giants seized a six-point lead halfway through the second quarter on the efforts of Chandler, James Yap and Peter June Simon.

The scores:

Alaska 94 Miller 23, Cariaso 18, Ellis 12, Thoss 11, Belasco 9, Aban 6, Hugnatan 6, Ferriols 5, Laure 4, Bajar 0.

Purefoods 80 Chandler 34, Yap J. 20, Evangelista 10, Simon 7, Yee 4, Yap R. 3, Artadi 2, Castillo 0, Salvador 0.

Quarterscores: 25-22, 45-42, 70-63, 94-80

GUIAO-LESS RED BULL STILL WINS
Penny fires game-high 28, shuts down Johnson to lead Barakos

Sunday, 01 April 2007

If only to make sure he wouldn't commit any election-related violation, head coach Yeng Guiao contented himself with just watching from the behind the Red Bull bench.

And obviously he had a good time.

James Penny scored 22 of his 28 points in the second half as the Red Bull Barakos chalked their third straight win with a 102-90 victory over the slumping Coca-Cola Tigers Sunday night at the Araneta Coliseum.

"No one's barring him (Guiao) from coaching. He's just trying to be on the safe side until he gets to clarify the Comelec ruling," said assistant coach Gee Abanilla, who took over the coaching reins.

The Comelec bars celebrities running for public office from making television and radio appearances until after the May 14 polls are over. Guiao has filled his certificate of candidacy as reelectionist vice-governor of Pampanga the other day.

Although there no specific ruling that bars coaches from appearing on television, Abanilla said Guiao is only making sure he doesn't violate any rules.

Guiao's absence from the sidelines hardly mattered though.

With Abanilla calling the shots, the Barakos displayed the same kind of energy and hustle and took control early.

With Penny keeping a close watch on Coca-Cola import Anthony Johnson, Celino Cruz, Cyrus Baguio and Larry Fonacier took care of the scoring and propelled Red Bull to a 51-46 lead at halftime.

Yet, when the going got tough, it was Penny who came to the rescue. The hardworking Red Bull import scored 11 points in each of the last two quarters including seven straight which erased a 65-64 Coca_Cola lead and put the Barakos ahead to stay, 71-65, late in the third quarter.

Larry Fonacier contributed 17 points and Baguio had 16 and eight assists for Red Bull which improved to 6-1 (win-loss) record to stay on top of the standings in the Talk N Text PBA Fiesta Conference.

The victory also marked the second three-game winning streak for the Barakos in the conference.

It was another frustrating loss for the Tigers, who kept the game close but couldn't come up with Red Bulls telling spurt in the closing minutes.

Johnson scored only 21 points, his lowest in the conference, but grabbed 20 rebounds while Ali Peek added 21 and 11. But their efforts couldn't save the Tigers from picking up their third consecutive defeat and fourth in seven games overall.

Dennis Miranda tallied 16 points including a tough jumper from the right corner that pulled Coca-Cola to within 77-79 with 7:16 remaining. But the Barakos quickly scored seven straight points in a three-minute span to put the game away.

Coca-Cola shot 51 percent in the first half as compared to Red Bull 41 percent but the Barakos had the lead at halftime on the strength of their :nerd:f-17 shooting from beyond the three-point arc.

Overall Red Bull went 13-for-29 from the beyond the arc while Coca-Cola was just 5-of-22. The Barakos also had a 25-9 advantage in the assists department.

The scores:

Red Bull 102 Penny 28, Fonacier 17, Baguio 16, Cruz 9, Hrabak 9, Robinson 5, Valenzuela 5, Alvarez 4, Villanueva 4, Ybanez 3, Najorda 2, Bugia 0, Sharma 0.

Coca-Cola 90 Johnson 21, Peek 21, Miranda 16, Arigo 13, Antonio 10, Avenido 5, Misolas 2, Tolomia 2, Pacana 0, Sotto 0.

Quarterscores: 29-22, 51-46, 73-68, 102-90.

GINEBRA GETS BACK ON TRACK WITH WIN OVER SLR
Nealy, Salvacion fuel decisive 4th quarter run
s.

But it wasnt easy.

Ginebra needed a strong windup to hurdle a Sta. Lucia side which got a tremendous lift from Williams.

In a game marked by nine deadlocks and 13 lead changes, the Kings eventually pulled through on a decisive 12-2 run from an 89-all tie.

Salvacion and Nealy banged in back-to-back triples to cap the run, making it 101-91 with a little over a minute left to play.

Nealy scored 17 points and Salvacion contributed 13 in the payoff quarter.

Ginebra is now missing the services of Hatfield, who filed an indefinite leave of absence to sort out a personal problem in the US. Abarrientos, for his part, is out with a groin injury.

It was a close game from the start with the two teams figuring in six deadlocks and 10 lead changes in the first half alone.

The Realtors enjoyed the upper hand, 54-49, at the half with their bench outscoring their Ginebra counterparts, 20-13.

Williams imposed his strength in the first half, logging 17 points and eight rebounds. Winston Rock added 11 points and seven rebounds.

The scores:

Ginebra 112 Nealy 37, Salvacion 23, Tubid 16, Menk 15, Macapagal 7, Echavez 6, Chia 4, Holper 2, Mamaril 2, Seigle 0.

Sta. Lucia 101 Williams 34, Mendoza 16, Winston 15, Aquino 8, Gonzales 8, Omolon 7, Espino 5, Cabagnot 3, Calimag 3, Isip 2, Duremdes 0.

Quarterscores: 27-26, 49-54, 71-73, 112-101.

HALL OF FAME INDUCTION, KUME JUN B TRIBUTE ON EASTER SUNDAY of the first game between Air 21 and Talk N Text has been reset to 3:30 p.m.

Itchon, Jacobs and Black were voted to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame together with SMC chief and former RP national team godfather Danding Cojuangco, coach Dante Silverio, two-time MVP Abet Guidaben, pioneer pros Manny Paner and Danny Florencio, Tony Siddayao, the acknowledged Dean of the sportswriting fraternity, and broadcaster Pinggoy Pengson.

Itchon, Jacobs and Black were the hands down choice among the seven-member Honors Committee that included Bernardino. The final selection process was attended by Bernardino a few days before his death.

Other members of the Honors Committee are Eala, former PBA chairman Ely Capacio, PBA governor Joaquin Trillo, Malaya sports editor Jimmy Cantor, TV sports producer Carlos "Bobong" Velez and broadcaster Emy Arcilla.

The PBA instituted the Hall of Fame two years ago. Enshrined in the first batch were Bogs Adornado, Francis Arnaiz, Philip Cezar, Atoy Co, Ramon Fernandez, Robert Jaworski, Baby Dalupan, Leo Prieto, Rudy Salud, Danny Floro, Emerson Coseteng and Joe Cantada.

CHANDLER CONFIDENT GIANTS CAN STILL BOUNCE BACK TO THE TOP
All it takes is for us to get back to our mode
. We beat San Miguel and Talk N Text and it showed right there what we can do," he added.

Since Chandler took over from Jesse King, the Giants have gone 2-2.

The Purefoods import said he's still in the process of regaining his old form. He claimed a 40-point outing is an indication that he's in top shape.

Curiously, he erupted for 42 points that went with 21 rebounds and seven assists last March 23 but those figures were not enough to save the Giants from a 103-107 loss against the Air21 Express.

Top date, the Giants are confined just a rung above the cellar with a 2-5 record. But even coach Ryan Gregorio is not losing hope.

"Yes, we're capable of competing with the best in the league. Talk N Text is a strong team in terms of player roster but we beat them. I told my players we have no reason to find excuses should we lose games. Inasmuch as we're lacking key players, we're still capable of competing," said Gregorio, adding, "we have the best import in town."

Can he bring his team back to the Finals?

"That's the way to do it. It's doable," Chandler promised.

ALASKA BATTLES AIR21 WITH EYE ON SHARE OF LEAD
Talk N Text takes on struggling San Miguel
in a conference since going 5-1 in 2004 of the same tournament with Galen Young as the teams import.

"We're so fortunate the turn of events worked for us," offered Cone. "We intended to bring Galen back but he passed up to try his luck in the NBA. But we're fortunate enough to land Ellis instead."

Alaska occupies second spot but could catch front runner Red Bull (6-1) with a fourth straight victory.

The Aces seek win No. 6 against the Air21 Express in their scheduled 4:35 p.m. date at the Araneta Coliseum Wednesday. The other encounter pits struggling San Miguel against Talk N Text at 7:20 p.m..

A change of import didn't seem to help the cause of the Beermen, the only winless team among the pack and reeling from a six-game losing streak.

Unless Lady Luck smiles on the struggling Beermen, chances are they will be picking up their seventh loss against the Phone Pals, a legit title contender but couldn't gain headway because it can't play consistently.

None of those concerns seem to bother Cone and the Aces.

"Hopefully we could keep it (winning streak) going," said Cone, who had his wish come true when the Aces snapped a two-year losing spell off the road by routing the Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants, 94-80, last Saturday in Subic.

The Express have shown a lot of progress this conference and the fact that they're coming off two frustrating defeats a 111-116 decision against Red Bull Wednesday last week and a 99-103 loss to Welcoat last Friday -- makes them even more dangerous.

Cone admitted the Express, who can really play so well on both ends of the floor, will be a tough opponent. But the thought of knowing his troops are performing at their best keeps the Alaska coach confident about their chances.

"The guys are playing good basketball and sharing the ball. And we've got guys who are coming off the bench and playing well. If you have a bench that comes off and play, it's like the coach has a magic wand he looks like he knows what he's doing," Cone said.

SLRs Duremdes, Cabagnot traded to Coke
By Nelson Beltran
The Philippine Star 04/05/2007

Sta. Lucia Realty struck a mid-season trade deal with Coca-Cola Tuesday night, giving up three players, including former MVP awardee Kenneth Duremdes and sophomore guard Alex Cabagnot, to ease the burden in its salary cap for the next few years.

The Realtors also released reserve frontliner Recaredo Calimag in exchange for Denok Miranda, Manny Ramos and a future draft pick of the Tigers.

"I had no other choice but to sacrifice one of my marquee players because of our huge payroll. Had I decided to keep Kenneth, we would be forced to play with just a nine-man lineup next season. It cant be," said Sta. Lucia governor Buddy Encarnado.

"Its a pity we have to give up Cabagnot. But no one would take Kenneth on a one-on-one trade," Encarnado added.

Before the trade, Sta. Lucia was the only team in the league still paying players a maximum amount of P500,000 a month. Duremdes and Dennis Espino are guaranteed the amount up to December next year.

Marlou Aquino used to receive the same amount until the expiration of his old contract last season. Aquino now gets the maximum pay of P350,000 a month under the revised salary cap rule.

Also under the revised cap rule, Cabagnot, the second round pick overall last season, is guaranteed of the maximum package of P8.5 million in his first three years in the league.

The same package went to Kelly Williams after he was picked No. 1 overall by Sta. Lucia in the most recent Rookie Draft.

"Were really having a hard time getting players we needed because of our bulging pay ceiling. With this trade, we opened up some room to maneuver next year," said Encarnado.

"Of course, I was saddened by what happened, both players are close to me. But its really managements call to make the deal because of the salary cap. Dennis and Marlou will have bigger responsibilities with the exit of Kenneth, Alex and Ric," said Sta. Lucia coach Boyet Fernandez.

Meanwhile Gary David scored 27 points while Wynne Arboleda added 16 points and nine steals as Air21 clobbered Alaska Milk, 116-104, to force a three-team jam at second place in the Talk n Text PBA Fiesta Cup at the Araneta Coliseum last night.

Shawn Daniels, Arwind Santos, Mark Telan and Nio Caaleta also delivered key numbers for the Express who caught up with the Aces and the Barangay Ginebra Kings at second with identical 5-2 win-loss cards.

Paul McMillan scattered 41 points and San Miguel Beer finally found the breaks coming its way as it snapped a 10-game losing skid in the season, toppling Talk n Text, 108-103, in the second game.

SAN MIGUEL FINALLY BREAKS INTO WIN COLUMN
McMillan stars as Beermen check 10-game skid this season
s in the 2007 Talk N Text Fiesta Conference.

"Finally, we got one," said coach Siot Tanquingcen as his Beermen stopped their bleeding.

"Some people might say its bound to happen. But we just cant sit and wait for that to happen. The boys worked for it," Tanquingcen added.

True enough, the Beermen worked hard for it. Aided by the Pals crucial miscues and misses at endgame, the Beermen scored their breakthrough win five weeks into the season-ending tourney.

Trailing by 16 points at 82-98, Talk N Text had come within six when it ran into a maze of errors and misses and yielded the game just the same.

After threatening at 92-98, the Pals missed three charities, committed three turnovers and groaned as the refs reversed one call giving the Beermen a crucial possession entering the final minute of play.

McMillan scored a short stab in the ensuing play and the Beermen all but wrapped up the game at 102-95.

The Beermen also gained a break early on as Donbel Belano was ejected from the game after hitting Dorian Pena in the groin at the onset of the fourth quarter.

The incident triggered a near free-for-all and also caused technical fouls on Pena and Harvey Carey for second motion.

The Pals remained in search for successive wins in the season-ending tourney, foiled in their third try. They slid to 3-4.

Talk N Text actually took control at the start but San Miguel closed the first quarter with a nine-to-nothing run to surge ahead, 23-21, going into the second period.

JJ Sullinger, Mark Cardona and Jay Washington came through for the Pals in the second quarter as Talk N Text seized a 48-44 lead at the half.

But San Miguel reestablished control in the third quarter and held on to the lead to the finish for its first victory since winning the first two games of the Philippine Cup Finals against eventual champion Barangay Ginebra.

"Weve got the first win. But its just one win. Ours is still a work in progress," said Tanquingcen.

"Im thankful to my players as they continue to work hard and remain positive though were deep down in the chart. Kung ibang team yan, sila mismo doubtful na kung kaya nilang mag-compete," Tanquingcen added.

The scores:

San Miguel 108 McMillan 41, Wilson 14, Calaguio 14, Racela 13, Ildefonso 11, Adriano 6, Tenorio 4, Pena 3, Cablay 2, Gonzales 0, Adducul 0.

Talk N Text 103 Cardona 29, Sullinger 21, Washington 19, Allado 11, Carey 8, Billones 5, De Ocampo 5, Belano 3, Fran 2.

PUREFOODS ROUTS WELCOAT
James Yap-led Giants capitalize as Dragons lose Clark to injury

Sunday, 08 April 2007

Winning, it seems, is hard to come by for the Purefoods Tender Juicy Giants in the Talk N Text-PBA Fiesta Conference. Not this one, though.
Reigning league MVP James Yap scattered 30 points and Jondan Salvador grabbed 14 rebounds as the Giants ran away with a 94-82 victory on Easter Sunday against the hard-luck Welcoat Dragons, who finished the battle without import Charles Clark.

It was just the third victory in eight games for the GIants but coach Ryan Gregorio felt this one will turn their fortunes around for the better.

It was unfortunate that Welcoat had to battle us without their import. But well take this (win), said Gregorio.

Hopefully, this will be our first step climbing up the ladder. We are working hard to play consistently and hopefully well be able to get out of the rut.

Gregorio said he had expected his well-rested Giants would encounter tough and physical battle against the Dragons, who are seeking a follow-up to their 103-99 overtime win against the Air21 Express last March 30.

But disaster greeted the Dragons just three minutes into the game when Clark, who averaged 30 points and 11 rebounds per outing, sprained a toe on his right foot on a bad fall. He left the game and never returned.

Thirsty for a victory, the Giants quickly worked on the breaks and with Roger Yap finally regaining his offensive touch, Purefoods breezed through the opening quarter and took a 25-9 advantage.

We know we couldnt have just two players scoring on this team, Gregorio said. So we kept on working on the rest of the teams scoring prowess and its a bit good news that Roger(Yap) got back his offensive rhythm.

Purefoods import Marquin Chandler scored 20 points and Roger Yap added 14 and four assists for the Giants, who bounced back from an 80-94 loss at the hands of the Alaska Aces last March 31 in Subic.

The win also served as a belated birthday gift for Gregorio, who turned 35 last Saturday.

Even without their import, the Dragons tried to mount a rally but poor shooting betrayed their intentions.

Alex Compton scored a PBA career-best 24 points, including 4-of-9 from three-point range, and rookie Jireh Ibanes had 16 to show the way for the Dragons, who picked up their fifth defeat in eight games and dropped ninth place.

Rookie center Jay-R Reyes tallied 10 points and 10 rebounds for his second double-double effort in the conference.

Welcoat seemed to have built on some momentum when Adonis Sta. Maria split his free throws to pull the Dragons within 69-81 with 5:53 left.

But James Yap, who went 10-of-19 from the field, scored four quick points to keep the Dragons at bay and the Giants coasted from there.

The scores:

Purefoods 94 Yap J. 30, Chandler 20, Yap R. 14, Yee 9, Artadi 8, Limpot 8, Castillo 3, Salvador 2, Evangelista 0.

Welcoat 82 Compton 24, Ibanes 16, Reyes 10, Sta. Maria 7, Lopez 6, Wainwright 6, Cabatu 5, Gelig 4, Lao 4, Clark 0, Baguion 0.
Quarterscores: 25-9, 57-32, 71-52, 94-82.

NEALY CARRIES GINEBRA PAST RED BULL FOR SHARE OF LEAD
Injured Menk, Johnny A hardly missed as Salvacion, Tubid, Echavez strike

Sunday, 08 April 2007

This Fiesta Conference imports will always win ballgames.

Rod Nealy proved this again by scoring 38 points, grabbing 16 rebounds, dishing off seven assists and even limited Red Bull counterpart James Penny's output to lead Ginebra to a 100-84 drubbing of Red Bull in the 2007 Talk N Text PBA Fiesta Conference at the Araneta Coliseum Sunday night.

"What more can you say about Rod?" said Ginebra coach Jong Uichico. "He's putting up the numbers to help us win. Mabait siya. He works his butt off every night during games and even practices without complaints."

Ginebra thus grabbed a share of the lead with Red Bull. Both tote identical 6 win, 2 loss slates.

The undermanned Kings won despite missing Eric Menk and Johnny Abarrientos. Menk was nursing an injured right calf and Abarrientos a hurting groin.

"Natyempuhan lang namin siguro sila," said Uichico. "Nag-relax sila sa simula dahil kulang kami ng tao. Then we scored the crucial baskets to preserve the win when they came back in the third and fourth periods."

Penny scored a floating jumper to push Red Bull to within three points of the Ginebra lead, 78-81, with 5:21 to go in the game. But Sunday Salvacion drilled a triple, followed by baskets by Jec Chia, Ronald Tubid and Nealy. In the blink of an eye, Ginebra was safely ahead by 12 points, 90-78, with only 3:33 to go in the game.

Defense brought Red Bull back into the game early in the third period. Penny blocked Nealy's layup then sprinted to the other end to score on his own layup to cut Ginebra's lead to only 13, 67-54, with 7:47 left.

Undaunted, Nealy tried the same play and was blocked again. Celino Cruz then drained a pair of triples to cut Ginebra's lead to only seven points, 60-67. Red Bull eventully cut the Ginebra lead to only four points, 71-75, after the third period.

Penny, saddled by two early fouls, went to the bench early replaced by Paolo Bugia with still 5:41 to go in the first period. He spent quite a time on the bench and only returned with 7:04 to go in the second quarter.

Always a flamboyant character, Tubid split the Red Bull defense to score on a spectacular twisting layup as Ginebra posted a 20-point lead, 38-18, with 8:45 to go in the second period.

Later in the same period, Tubid extended the lead even more by drilling a triple followed by Egay Echavez's own three-pointer. Ginebra erected a fat 24-point lead, 51-27, with 4:30 to go in the first half before going on to post a 58-41 lead at the half.

Ginebra erected an early 16-point bubble, 26-10, after Sunday Salvacion drilled back-to-back triples followed by a snaking layup by Rod Nealy with 3:19 to go in the first period. The Kings went on to post a 28-16 first quarter lead.

The scores:

Ginebra 100 - Nealy 38, Salvacion 21, Tubid 19, Echavez 10, Chia 6, Mamaril 4, Seigle 2, Macapagal 0, Holper 0, Santos 0.

Red Bull 84 - Penny 22, Baguio 10, Valenzuela 10, Sharma 8, Villanueva 8, Fonacier 6, Robinson 6, Cruz 6, Hrabak 5, Najorda 3, Bugia 0, Ybanez 0, Alvarez 0.

Quarterscores: 28-16, 58-41, 75-71, 100-84.

ACES SHOOT FOR PIECE OF LEAD AS SMB PARADES CBA MVP
Newly-traded players go up against former teams in SLR-Coke tussle

Tuesday, 10 April 2007

Still shell-shocked after absorbing their second loss in the 2007 Talk N Text PBA Fiesta Conference exactly a week ago, the Alaska Aces try to regain their bearings back and hopefully a piece of the lead.

Surely, their 104-116 loss to the Air21 Express on Holy Wednesday was a humbling experience for Aces, who had their three-game winning streak snapped.

It gave them great resolve and a strong motivational push as they resume their campaign tonight at the Araneta Coliseum with a mindset that is focused on catching up with co-leaders Red Bull and Barangay Ginebra on top of the standings at 6-1.

There's a pretty good chance the Aces would improve on their 5-and-2 mark. But Alaska coach Tim Cone knows their 7:20 p.m. assignment could also end up as another heartbreaker.

That's because the Aces will be going up against a San Miguel team that has finally gotten out of a slump and is now getting a timely shot in the arm.

After picking up six consecutive losses, the Beermen finally stopped the bleeding with a 108-103 victory at the expense of the Talk N Text Phone Pals last Wednesday.

SMB's chance of chalking up a second win has been bolstered by the arrival of Galen Young a versatile, hardworking reinforcement who is very familiar with the Aces who has just been named MVP in the CBA a week go.

The 6-foot-5 guard, who will be replacing Paul McMillan, came at a time when the Beermen desperately need a leader and go-to guy who could provide a spark when the going gets tough.

A second-round pick by the Milwaukee during the 1999 NBA Draft, Young played for the Aces in the same conference three years ago. In fact, Alaska offered Young another tour of duty but the 32-year-old passed up, claiming he'll try his luck in the NBA.

The same thing goes for the Sta. Lucia Realtors when they play the Coca-Cola Tigers at 4:35 p.m.

With a 2-4 record and coming off a 101-112 defeat to Ginebra last April 1, the Realtors are no doubt desperately seeking a victory.

But trading veteran forward Kenneth Duremdes, sophomore guard Alex Cabagnot and reserve forward Ricky Calimag to the Tigers last week could be costly for the Realtors, who got guard Denok Miranda, reserve center Manny Ramos and Coke's 2008 second round pick in return. Now these players get to play against their former teams.

The Tigers are currently tied with the Phone Pals at 5th and sixth spot although they are expected to get better with the help of their new recruits.

KINGS, GIANTS LEAVE FOR OIL-RICH DUBAI WEDNESDAY
Well bring the PBA closer to the fans wherever they may be Comm. Eala

Tuesday, 10 April 2007

PUREFOODS' first shot at an official Philippine Basketball Association overseas sojourn was a forgettable one.
Now hoping to put the bad experience behind, the inconsistent Giants need all the help they can as they go up against one of the hottest teams in the 2007 Talk N Text PBA Fiesta Conference when the league holds a first-ever overseas game in Dubai this Friday (April 13).

Barangay Ginebra stands in the way of Purefoods' bid to exorcise the ghost of its 66-88 massacre at the hands of the Talk N Text Phone Pals during last year's Philippine Cup outing in Hong Kong.

And the Kings appear to have all the tools to make that possible as the team had found ways of winning despite playing with a badly-depleted lineup.

Even in the absence of key players Eric Menk and Johnny Abarrientos both out with injuries Ginebra has kept its competitive form, winning six of its last seven games to gain a share of the top spot with a 6-2 (win-loss) record.

But don't say that to Purefoods coach Ryan Gregorio, who appeared undaunted on the eve of the team's departure for the oil-rich country.

"Well, we're hoping to end the first round on a winning note and have a 4-5 card to make the middle of the standings," said the eloquent mentor who recently turned 35.

A jampacked crowd is expected to turn up at the Al-Ahli Sports Club, where the lone overseas game between two of the most popular ballclubs in the league will be played.

Made possible by the organizing Filipino Basketball Center led by chairman Ramon Pizzaras and assisted by former PBA player Ric Roces, the Dubai encounter is the featured out-of-the country game of the season-ending conference.

Previous out-of-the country sorties that has already become a regular fixture in the league every conference, saw the PBA bring its act to Jakarta, Indonesia, Hong Kong and Guam.

"First, Southeast Asia, then the US territory of Guam, and now, the Middle East. This shows how the PBA truly values its legions of fans by bringing the league
closer to them wherever they may be," said league commissioner Noli Eala, who heads the entire delegation, including the two playing teams, leaving for the emerging world business hub on Wednesday (April 11).

At 3-5, the Giants are currently in the lower half of the standings, although they've began to turn things around since the return of import Marquin Chandler, posting a 3-2 record in their last five outings.

They are fresh from a 94-82 rout of the Welcoat Dragons the last time out, giving Gregorio enough confidence that Purefoods can end its first round campaign on a winning note.

"Hopefully, this will be our first step in climbing up the ladder. We are working hard to play consistently, and hopefully, we'll be able to get out of the rut," said Gregorio.

The Kings, reigning Philippine Cup champions, are also coming off a victory, a stirring 100-84 thrashing of no less than defending champion Red Bull, a big morale-booster indeed, for the team going into its first ever official out-of-the-country PBA stint.

Red Bull and Alaska earlier saw action in the Guam sojourn of the Philippine Cup that formally kicked off the league's 2006-07 season last year.

Talk N Text and Formula Shell hold the distinction of playing the PBA's first-ever official game outside the country when they clashed in Indonesia during the 2005 Fiesta Conference.

Back
Top Bottom