Official Phillies NLDS champs!

lets go phils
168c2gg_th.jpg

[table][tr][td]Gm 1[/td] [td]COL @ PHI[/td] [td]Wed[/td] [td]Oct. 7[/td] [td]2:37 p.m.[/td] [td]TBS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gm 2[/td] [td]COL @ PHI[/td] [td]Thu[/td] [td]Oct. 8[/td] [td]2:37 p.m.[/td] [td]TBS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gm 3[/td] [td]PHI @ COL[/td] [td]Sat[/td] [td]Oct. 10[/td] [td]9:37 p.m.[/td] [td]TBS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gm 4*[/td] [td]PHI @ COL[/td] [td]Sun[/td] [td]Oct. 11[/td] [td]TBD[/td] [td]TBS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gm 5*[/td] [td]COL @ PHI[/td] [td]Tue[/td] [td]Oct. 13[/td] [td]TBD[/td] [td]TBS[/td] [/tr][/table]

The Rockies will win this with ease. This is 2007 all over again. I expect the Rockies to win the NL pennant and then they will get swept by the AL winneragain. God do I hate Colorado, hopefully I am wrong and the Phils win this series.

Should be a Cards/Phils NLCS....but my gut is telling me the Rockies will win this series in 5.

game 1: Leevs Jimenez
168c2gg_th.jpg

LOS ANGELES -- The Rockies are keeping fingers crossed that injured left-hander Jorge De La Rosa will be able to pitch in their National League Division Series against the Phillies but won't know for certain until he attempts to throw a bullpen session on Tuesday.

Roster FAQs: The rotation, the bullpen and Cairo

We have plenty to evaluate over the next 48 hours. The Phillies are likely huddling right now, hashing out some of the remaining questions regarding the composition of their 25-man roster. Rosters are not due until Wednesday morning, but we should have a pretty good idea by the time they take the field for their workout. Below is our projected 25-man roster and projected postseason rotation, followed by how we arrived at this conclusion:

The Rotation: Game 1 - LHP Cliff Lee vs. RHP Ubaldo Jimenez; Game 2 - LHP Cole Hamels vs. RHP Aaron Cook; Game 3 -RHP Joe Blanton at RHP Jason Marquis; Game 4 - LHP J.A. Happ at TBA

The Regulars: SS Jimmy Rollins, CF Shane Victorino, 2B Chase Utley, 1B Ryan Howard, LF Raul Ibanez, RF Jayson Werth, 3B Pedro Feliz, C Carlos Ruiz

The Bench: INF Miguel Cairo, UTIL Eric Bruntlett, OF Ben Francisco, C Paul Bako, OF Matt Stairs, INF Greg Dobbs

The Bullpen: RHP Ryan Madson, RHP Brad Lidge, RHP Brett Myers, LHP Scott Eyre, RHP Clay Condrey, RHP Tyler Walker, RHP Pedro Martinez

FAQs:

1. Who will be the odd man out of the rotation?

The likely scenario: We might not be having this conversation if Martinez hadn't strained his neck against the Braves on Sept. 19. He had allowed just four runs on on 18 hits in 21 2/3 innings in his previous three starts. But since Sept. 13, he has started just two games, throwing 56 pitches against the Braves on Sept. 19 and then 84 pitches against the Astros on Sept. 30. While Blanton has struggled in his last two starts, there is no question about his health. I expect Blanton to start Game 3 or 4 in Colorado and Martinez to throw a simulated game tomorrow at the Phillies' work-out, where he will be able to face the team's hitters. Then, I expect the Phillies to have him ready to pitch in a relief role, either in Game 3 or Game 4. I know logic says to split up the lefties, but I'm putting Happ in Game 3

A possible scenario: The Phillies feel Martinez is best suited to start Game 3 or 4, in which case they reverse roles and have Blanton ready to pitch in relief.

Don't count it out: Martinez pitching in relief. The Phillies want Happ in the rotation against the Rockies, who are much better against righties than lefties. I just don't see him being left out of the rotation. But what I can see is Martinez coming in to pitch the eighth inning of a game, even if it is only to face a couple of batters. True, he has suffered most of his damage this season in the first inning. But he is a red light player - when the red light on the camera blinks on, he steps up his game. He is an experienced postseason player. The cream rises to the top in the postseason. Don't be surprised if Martinez winds up pitching in a pivotal relief situation.

2. Who will start game one?

The likely scenario: I'm swimming upstream here, but I see no reason why the Phillies wouldn't give the ball to Cliff Lee in Game 1. Sure, he's had mixed results in his last seven starts, going 2-4 with a 6.13 ERA since putting together a 0.68 ERA in his first five starts as a Phillie. But Lee dominated the Rockies at Citizens Bank Park back on Aug. 6, allowing one run on six hits and striking out nine in seven innings of a 3-1 victory. Furthermore, he is 3-2 with a 2.52 ERA in five starts at home. Most importantly, he is on schedule to pitch Game 1 on five days rest, when he is 32-13 with a 3.50 ERA and .256 BAA in his career (compared with 8-9 with a 4.40 ERA and .260 BAA on six or more days rest, which he would be on for Game 2).

The possible scenario: A lot of people think that because the Phillies limited Cole Hamels to three innings on Saturday, they are trying to turn him around to start Game 1. It makes some sense. After all, Hamels went 3-0 in Game 1's last postseason. Other than that, though, there is no real incentive for the Phillies to rush Hamels back. He'll be on his normal turn, which is when he contends - and statistics prove - he pitches his best, for Game 2. Besides, both Game 1 and Game 2 starters will be available to pitch Game 5 on full rest.

Don't count it out: Charlie Manuel said yesterday that he thinks J.A. Happ has the ability to start one of the first two games. But he could also use another lefty out of the bullpen, particularly in whatever game Joe Blanton or Pedro Martinez pitch. As good as Blanton was this season, going 9-4 with a 2.78 ERA in 21 starts from May 26 to Sept. 22, he has allowed 10 runs in his last two starts and has completed more than six innings in just one of his last six starts. So try this scenario on for size: Happ pitches Game 2 - he would be on three days rest, but threw just 39 pitches Sunday - then is available to pitch out of the bullpen in Game 4 if he is needed. Happ usually throws his side session on the third day after he pitches. If he starts Game 2, his normal side day would be Sunday, which is Game 4. If that is an elimination game, and the Phillies need someone to pitch the seventh and eighth innings after Blanton leaves, you can bet Happ would be able to do it.

3. What options are the Phillies looking at for their roster?

Position locks (13): Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Raul Ibanez, Pedro Feliz, Carlos Ruiz, Jayson Werth, Shane Victorino, Matt Stairs, Greg Dobbs, Paul Bako, Eric Bruntlett, Ben Francisco.

Pitching locks (9): Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, J.A. Happ, Joe Blanton, Ryan Madson, Scott Eyre, Brett Myers, Brad Lidge, Pedro Martinez

On the bubble (6): Clay Condrey, Tyler Walker, Chad Durbin, Kyle Kendrick, Antonio Bastardo, Miguel Cairo

So we have six players fighting for three spots. As good as Kendrick has pitched down the stretch, there simply isn't a need for him in a five-game series, particularly with either Blanton or Martinez being available for long relief. So count him out, at least for the first round.

Ubaldo Jimenez is the Rockies ace in waiting. He will get the call to start Game 1 of the NL Division Series at Philadelphia on Wednesday afternoon.

Aaron Cook is the elder statesmen of the Rockies rotation. He is lined up to start two at Philadelphia on Thursday afternoon.

Both games are scheduled to begin at 12:37 p.m, MDT, and will be televised on TBS. FSN Rocky Mountain will provide pre-game shows at 11:30 a.m., each day, and post-game shows immediately after the game.

Rockies manager Jim Tracy formally announced Jimenez as the starter in the playoff opener.

Jimenez was 15-12 with a franchise-record 3.47 ERA during the regular season. He worked at least six innings in 29 of 33 starts, including 28 of the final 29, and allowed three or fewer runs in 28 of those six-plus-inning starts.

Cook is an obvious choice in Game 2 in light of the season-ending struggles of Jason Marquis, who failed in his fifth consecutive shot at a 16th victory in Sunday's 5-3, regular-season, ending loss to the Dodgers. Jason Hammel, the Rockies fifth starter, also pitched on Sunday.

Jorge De La Rosa, who leads the Rockies staff with 16 wins, had to come out of Saturday's start with a groin problem. A decision on whether he will even be on the post-season roster won't be made until after he throws a bullpen session during a Tuesday workout in Philadelphia.

Tracy said the fact that De La Rosa's start could be pushed back until Game 3 or 4 at Coors Field next Saturday and Sunday would work to De La Rosa's benefit.

While Tracy said the reports were that De La Rosa has soreness on Sunday, De La Rosa was upbeat.

"It's not that bad," he said. "I will be ready. This is my first post-season. I will be able to pitch."

Cook, meanwhile, missed a month with shoulder tendinitis, but has returned with two solid starts. He allowed one run in eight innings on Thursday after working five shutout innings in his return to the rotation Sept. 26.

Cook is 1-1 with a 3.75 ERA in two career starts at Citizens Bank Park, a cozy paradise for hitters where Cook's hard sinker can be a salvation.

THERE IS some concern about the Rockies late-inning bullpen situation. Lefty Franklin Morales, who went 7-for-7 in saves during Huston Street's absence, is struggling. In his last nine appearances he has retired only 13 batters, and allowed 22 baserunners, 12 of whom have scored. He has given up 14 hits and eight walks.

SIX PLAYERS are being sent to the Arizona Instructional League. Tracy said infielder/outfielder Mike McCoy and outfielder Matt Murton, and pitchers Juan Rincon and Joel Peralta will stay in workout routines in case an injury develops during the post-season.

Tracy also said pitching prospects Jhoulys Chacin and Esmil Rogers will join the AIL team in Tucson.

phils roster
PITCHERS (12): Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, Joe Blanton, J.A. Happ, Pedro Martinez, Brad Lidge, Ryan Madson, Scott Eyre, Chad Durbin, Brett Myers, Antonio Bastardo, Kyle Kendrick

CATCHERS (2): Carlos Ruiz, Paul Bako

INFIELDERS (6): Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Pedro Feliz, Greg Dobbs, Miguel Cairo

OUTFIELDERS (5): Raul Ibanez, Jayson Werth, Shane Victorino, Matt Stairs, Ben Francisco

De La Rosa is off the rockies roster.

laugh.gif
i know im not the only phillies fan on here

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

laugh.gif
i know im not the only phillies fan on here
I got you homie
168c2gg_th.jpg

The Phils got this in 4
Hopefully I get to go to more than 1 game this time around in the playoffs, I only got to go to game 2 of last years NLCS, plus I need more "FightinPhils" towels in my life
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom