Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Im gonna be getting a Nikon for my birthday and for my upcoming collegecourse should i shell out the money for a D60 or stick with a D90.. im gonna be a casual user and migt be getting into taking pics at parties so i want thebest out of the 2 which would fit

shell out for a d60 or stick with the d90?
if you have money for the d90 then you'll be saving a good amount if you buy the d90.
i have the d60 and wish i got the d90 but im a casual user.

^^ I'd say stick with the D90. Although it's pricier than the D60, it has an AF motor built-in, so you can use it with lenses that have no AF (e.g.,50mm f/1.
glasses.gif
. Also, it has a bigger and more well-built body.

FYI

Costco has the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW for $67, and I just noticed on my receipt it includes a $10 Instant Rebate = $57
Retails $89 on Amazon

LOWE34737.jpg

As much as I hate sling backpacks, they are way more efficient if you don't carry a lot of lenses. I have the backpack version and it is a pain in the buttto always take out my camera.

I've been looking at those backpacks for a while but I'm a lefty and it feels weird wearing it on that shoulder. I've never seen one with the strapthe other way round.

I'd love it if CaseLogic made one - I love their stuff. I have the SLR bag, a flash bag, an accessory one as well as DVD holders and all sorts of otherstuff. I'm a sucker for their designs.

Turns out they do make two. $90 or $60 but right now you can get 15% off and free shipping. Looks pretty good too:

138051_1_1

112009_1_1

I like the look of the first one - neat but big enough for a days stuff.

Still only comes in a righty version though.

Originally Posted by FlyingEMU05

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

HEY

I have a question guys. What lens can I buy for a beginner with a D40, looking for a lens that can take short range pictures with better quality than the stock
lens basically. Im going on vacation soon and mainly want a lens that can take great pics of my family, and maybe some scenery. Or should I just pickup a fish
eye lens?
Honestly, if you want ANY sort of versatility, your stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is your best bet. A fisheye is not going to take pictures that your parents and grandparents will enjoy, or reference as memorable pictures-- rather, they'd just be a "cool" photo. Does that make sense?

If you're going to get another lens, I'd go with a prime, such as a 50mm or the 35mm.

Here's my little bit on the difference:

On a D40, the 50mm is really 75mm, and the 35mm is really 52mm.
The 35mm f/1.8G is going to cost you about $200. It has no aperture ring (which IMO is easier to use, you'll have to use your scroll wheel to change the aperture), but you have AF and metering and can shoot in Auto mode.
The 50mm f/1.8 is going to cost you about $50, it has an aperture ring, but has no AF or metering (which means you have to do it manually and can only shoot in M)
The 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is going to cost you about $500, has no aperture ring, but has AF and will meter and shoot in Auto.
The 50mm f/1.4 AI,AI-s, etc. is going to cost you about $120 and will be the exact same as the f/1.8 except it'll open up 0.4 stops more.

If you're stuck on getting a wide angle, your options are 12-24mm ($900) and 14-24mm ($1500).

And there you have it.

My suggestion, get the 50mm f/1.8 on eBay for $50.

aperture ring works on the d40? how come i had to lock mine on 22 when i used it on the d60? or am i thinking of something else

If it was stuck on f/22 then it was broken. The aperture ring is a free moving part (at least on mine) so that shouldn't have been the case.

You say you had to lock in f/22-- does that mean that you could change the aperture to other stops or do you mean that you couldn't move it from there? Orwould it change stops but not shoot on any of the others?

Either, (A) I'm really confused, or (B) you have a broken lens.

Originally Posted by CashmereThought96

Im gonna be getting a Nikon for my birthday and for my upcoming college course should i shell out the money for a D60 or stick with a D90.. im gonna be a casual user and migt be getting into taking pics at parties so i want the best out of the 2 which would fit

In all honesty, if you're buying your fisrt dSLR you should just get the D40. The only difference (basically) between the D60 and the D40 is the userinterface. The D40 you should be able to get in a kit with the 18-55mm lens for close to $400. The D40 will allow you to learn all the basics very well. Yourinvestment is primarily going to be in your lenses.

As for the AF motor, I think it would be beneficial to learn how to use lenses that won't AF with the D40 as well as learning to shoot in Manual. TheD90 can be intimidating for someone who's never used a dSLR before.

As for me, I shoot with a D40X and it was/is my first dSLR. I've always had an interest in photography, shot some film in high school, and got my firstdSLR almost a year ago and I still love it. My next upgrade will probably be my last, but until then I'm sticking with the D40X.

P.S. I hate to say it, but you should look into Canon too, in all fairness. They bring solid cameras to the table at the same price point so it wouldn'thurt to check them out.

HEY

I have a question guys. What lens can I buy for a beginner with a D40, looking for a lens that can take short range pictures with better quality than the stock
lens basically. Im going on vacation soon and mainly want a lens that can take great pics of my family, and maybe some scenery. Or should I just pickup a fish
eye lens?
Honestly, if you want ANY sort of versatility, your stock 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is your best bet. A fisheye is not going to take pictures that your parents and grandparents will enjoy, or reference as memorable pictures-- rather, they'd just be a "cool" photo. Does that make sense?

If you're going to get another lens, I'd go with a prime, such as a 50mm or the 35mm.

The 35mm f/1.8G is going to cost you about $200. It has no aperture ring (which IMO is easier to use, you'll have to use your scroll wheel to change the aperture), but you have AF and metering and can shoot in Auto mode.
The 50mm f/1.8 is going to cost you about $50, it has an aperture ring, but has no AF or metering (which means you have to do it manually and can only shoot in M)
The 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is going to cost you about $500, has no aperture ring, but has AF and will meter and shoot in Auto.
The 50mm f/1.4 AI,AI-s, etc. is going to cost you about $120 and will be the exact same as the f/1.8 except it'll open up 0.4 stops more.

If you're stuck on getting a wide angle, your options are 12-24mm ($900) and 14-24mm ($1500).

And there you have it.

aperture ring works on the d40? how come i had to lock mine on 22 when i used it on the d60? or am i thinking of something else

If it was stuck on f/22 then it was broken. The aperture ring is a free moving part (at least on mine) so that shouldn't have been the case.

You say you had to lock in f/22-- does that mean that you could change the aperture to other stops or do you mean that you couldn't move it from there? Or would it change stops but not shoot on any of the others?

actually i think you're confused. with my 50mm 1.4 i have to keep it locked to f16 on a digital camera or crop body (i dont know about an FXdigital) i only use my 50mm on my 35mm Nikon F4. aperture rings are no use on my D50. you have to keep it locked to the lowest aperture.

oh, and let me add this. for you beginners out there looking for a camera (i only speak for nikon haha) i would definitely get a D50 over a D40/D60 anyday. Ifeel there's more camera to the D50 than the others. The only thing the 40/60's have over the 50 imo is the weight factor.

I have a low pro flipside 200:

2289368157_8da5aa1c6b.jpg

Pretty much looks like this on your back.

lowepro%20flipside%20bag%201.jpg

Good size and everything if you don't have a lot (I have a D90, 2 small lenses and my stock VR lens). If you a medium format camera or larger, you have todetach your lens from the body every time which is a pain.....that and the fact the zipper is in the back which look was, looks cool since it starts to looklike an nontraditional back-pack (I get people thinking it is some rocket pack or something) but aesthetically, it is kind f annoying. Also has a clip on theback that allows you to carry a small tripod as well.

Originally Posted by mjbetch

HEY

eye lens?

And there you have it.

You say you had to lock in f/22-- does that mean that you could change the aperture to other stops or do you mean that you couldn't move it from there? Or would it change stops but not shoot on any of the others?

actually i think you're confused. with my 50mm 1.4 i have to keep it locked to f16 on a digital camera or crop body (i dont know about an FX digital) i only use my 50mm on my 35mm Nikon F4. aperture rings are no use on my D50. you have to keep it locked to the lowest aperture.
That's really weird. I shoot with my D40X and my 50mm f/1.8 all the time and I can use the full range from f/1.8 to f/22

^ The locking that you must do is on the aperture ring on the physical lens. With a digital SLR, theres no need for using an aperture ring because you cancontrol that in-camera, which is why you cannot use it unless it is locked at f/22 (f/16 for the f/1.4). Locking the aperture on the physical lens does NOTrestrict the full range. You can still use the full range with it locked on a digital SLR.

CashmereThought96 wrote:

Im gonna be getting a Nikon for my birthday and for my upcoming
college course should i shell out the money for a D60 or stick with a D90.. im gonna be a casual user and migt be getting into taking pics at parties so i
want the best out of the 2 which would fit

In all honesty, if you're buying your fisrt dSLR you should just get the D40. The only difference (basically) between the D60 and the D40 is the user
interface. The D40 you should be able to get in a kit with the 18-55mm lens for close to $400. The D40 will allow you to learn all the basics very well. Your
investment is primarily going to be in your lenses.

As for the AF motor, I think it would be beneficial to learn how to use lenses that won't AF with the D40 as well as learning to shoot in Manual. The
D90 can be intimidating for someone who's never used a dSLR before.

As for me, I shoot with a D40X and it was/is my first dSLR. I've always had an interest in photography, shot some film in high school, and got my first
dSLR almost a year ago and I still love it. My next upgrade will probably be my last, but until then I'm sticking with the D40X.

P.S. I hate to say it, but you should look into Canon too, in all fairness. They bring solid cameras to the table at the same price point so it wouldn't
hurt to check them out.

Yea i think im gonna stick with the D40 im a beginner and im gonna betaking a photography class so id probably upgrade to a d90 once i know the game pretty well

yea I would say cop a 40 and just learn the ends and outs then cop you a 90

and plus the 40's are on the low right now

Originally Posted by Apollo XXXIII

^ The locking that you must do is on the aperture ring on the physical lens. With a digital SLR, theres no need for using an aperture ring because you can control that in-camera, which is why you cannot use it unless it is locked at f/22 (f/16 for the f/1.4). Locking the aperture on the physical lens does NOT restrict the full range. You can still use the full range with it locked on a digital SLR.

yeah i had to lock mine at 22 but i could still change it in the camera. i was just confused because i though dude was using the aperture ring on the lensinstead of the wheel on the camera.

Back
Top Bottom