Official Photography Thread: Vol. ICan'tFindTheLastOne

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

I got a question guys, is that dust on my lens near the top right of this picture?
3849181931_812bdd6df8_b.jpg

BTW dope silhouette and comp.Exif data?
3851917302_15b3f65116.jpg

Here's the EXIF: Click Here

@23kidd- nice pics, love the composition and colors. one thing, i think you have a sensor dust in the upper left (portrait mode).

Originally Posted by andrewbeezy

a pic of your phone, menu and food that doesn't even look good... @%@
indifferent.gif

criticism without any meaningful insight behind it or advice on where to improve...
indifferent.gif
24y2uhb4wrjr
I'd actually like some meaningful criticism. I didn't just snap pictures, I found things I liked and took the time out to shoot a bunch of pictures onthe same thing and chose one of the few I liked the most.

Originally Posted by cucumbercool

Originally Posted by andrewbeezy

a pic of your phone, menu and food that doesn't even look good... @%@
indifferent.gif

criticism without any meaningful insight behind it or advice on where to improve...
indifferent.gif
24y2uhb4wrjr
I'd actually like some meaningful criticism. I didn't just snap pictures, I found things I liked and took the time out to shoot a bunch of pictures on the same thing and chose one of the few I liked the most.

Well with your phone pic you need to just focus on the phone. There is to much random stuff going on around it.

*edit* I forgot to mention that im no where near critiquing professionally but as a random person looking at your pics thats how i see it.

Got a D70 a month ago so i've been trying to get better at my picture taking. any criticism is enthusiastically welcomed
wink.gif

backside lipslide by my homie Nikios

I'm starting a 365 Portrait Project.

It's more about having documentation of my last year in college/first summer in the real world than it is about photography. I don't have a DSLR oranything - just a Powershot SD770IS, although I may be getting a DSLR over the next year for my summer grad trip. My original plan was to "polarize"each pic with the app on my iphone, but I might change that. I'm starting to think that it will take away from it after a while, but right now I'mgoing to stick with it.

Anyway, I just started it today.

Flickr.

^ good luck. i gave up half way through because the original idea was to do a self portrait each day. i got so sick of taking pics of myself (im really notphotogenic), and didnt want to have inconsistency in my project when i switched it up to just an image a day. i plan on starting again.. an image a day for ayear, i take pictures every day, so it shouldnt be so hard.

I got a question:

If I change the option on my camera to take smaller pictures, would the quality be affected?

Im thinking of getting the D5000 as my first DSLR since my mom has a D40it wouldnt make sense having 2 D40's in the house bestbuy has it for 799.99 is that a good pick up? school me on it whats the pros and cons.. My problemwith the D40 is getting that all out professional look without having to od mess with settings i did a shoot for my wifes portfolio and it took me about anhour to get the cam shooting semi decent shots (at night) and it totally pissed me off.. will i have this issue with the d5000?

Originally Posted by CashmereThought96

Im thinking of getting the D5000 as my first DSLR since my mom has a D40 it wouldnt make sense having 2 D40's in the house bestbuy has it for 799.99 is that a good pick up? school me on it whats the pros and cons.. My problem with the D40 is getting that all out professional look without having to od mess with settings i did a shoot for my wifes portfolio and it took me about an hour to get the cam shooting semi decent shots (at night) and it totally pissed me off.. will i have this issue with the d5000?
Yes... You will have that issue. Buying a different DSLR wont change the fact that you have to know what you're doing. In fact, the D40 isprobably the easiest DSLR to handle and to get used to the settings.

Im thinking of getting the D5000 as my first DSLR since my mom has a D40 it wouldnt make sense having 2 D40's in the house bestbuy has it for 799.99 is that a good pick up? school me on it whats the pros and cons.. My problem with the D40 is getting that all out professional look without having to od mess with settings i did a shoot for my wifes portfolio and it took me about an hour to get the cam shooting semi decent shots (at night) and it totally pissed me off.. will i have this issue with the d5000?
to be blunt, it shouldn't take you that long to get something decent. if you want a professional look, you have to learn the settings. autoain't gonna cut it. first, it seems like you might be unfamiliar with the most common settings (iso, aperture, shutter speed, white balance). try usingaperture (A) mode, set your aperture to f/8, set your iso to 200 (make sure it's not on auto), dial in +1.0 compensation, use incandescent white balance(the light bulb icon), stick the cam on a tripod, check your composition and focus, and then shoot a frame without flash. that should get you something sharp,pretty much noise free, and with enough detail in the shadows to play with.

of course, to get a real professional look, you should be more concerned with the light overall. that's a whole other bag of tricks you have to learnthough. do you have any shots you can show as examples?

Originally Posted by verynecessary

CashmereThought96 wrote:

Im thinking of getting the D5000 as my first DSLR since my mom
has a D40 it wouldnt make sense having 2 D40's in the house bestbuy has it for 799.99 is that a good pick up? school me on it whats the pros and cons..
My problem with the D40 is getting that all out professional look without having to od mess with settings i did a shoot for my wifes portfolio and it took me
about an hour to get the cam shooting semi decent shots (at night) and it totally pissed me off.. will i have this issue with the d5000?
to be blunt, it shouldn't take you that long to get something decent. if you want a professional look, you have to learn the settings. auto
ain't gonna cut it. first, it seems like you might be unfamiliar with the most common settings (iso, aperture, shutter speed, white balance). try using
aperture (A) mode, set your aperture to f/8, set your iso to 200 (make sure it's not on auto), dial in +1.0 compensation, use incandescent white balance
(the light bulb icon), stick the cam on a tripod, check your composition and focus, and then shoot a frame without flash. that should get you something sharp,
pretty much noise free, and with enough detail in the shadows to play with.

of course, to get a real professional look, you should be more concerned with the light overall. that's a whole other bag of tricks you have to learn
though. do you have any shots you can show as examples?

Im pretty familiar with shooting in the manual modes to get the shots usee bellow i messed with both the shutter speeds and aperture on a tripod .. i set the shutter speed to its highest and set the aperture between f5.6-8 heresmost of what i got in 2 diffrent lighting conditions on the promenade in brooklyn.. i didnt edit them in apeture so i could find out exactly what i need to doto get the best shots

Different lighting/Location with flash

No flash

BONUS finally getting my long exposure game correct (shouts to the bmwwith blue lights that came by making the lights look even more intresting)

Originally Posted by KobeBeef

Originally Posted by lauk4kicks

^that diffuser looks serious. i just use that rectangle square one. i dont even know how to use my flash yet, any good tutorials that ppl can direct me to?
i was reading that 'tupperware' diffusers waste a lot of power (or at least that's what they told me on the Canon Digital Photography Forums) so i decided to the the LumiQuest one since they were raving about it.

you should look into the Lumiquest ProMax or the LumiQuest Quik Bounce. (you can get 15% cashback on eBay)

(or just use a rubberband and a index card if you're cheap. lol)
roll.gif

Ive actually seen some guy shoot with that on his flash in a club hah

Originally Posted by verynecessary

CashmereThought96 wrote:

of course, to get a real professional look, you should be more concerned with the light overall. that's a whole other bag of tricks you have to learn
though. do you have any shots you can show as examples?

for shots like these with mixed lighting you can use the raw file (did u shoot raw?) to make two separate white balance adjustments. then you can layer these together in photoshop or w/e program and mask out the elements lit by the sodium vapor lights (the foreground).

Different lighting/Location with flash

for these shots with flash i'd drop the shutter speed to let more ambient light in, and throw an orange gel on your flash to match the color of the ambient lighting. also, i highly, highly recommend you use external flash off-camera. if money's an issue, you can do it cheap ($10 adapter, $30-$40 flash on ebay, $10 pc sync cable, and a piece of white cardboard/foamboard for a reflector.) that'll give you more flattering light, and you can choose what to highlight or de-emphasize by changing the angle or distance of the flash and reflector.

No flash

\

these shots have potential, but as i was saying earlier, to really get these to pop, you need to control the light. flash is the easiest way to do it (off-camera of course, unless you're really going for a more rough candid-looking style)

i guess the easiest way to control the light is to turn off or cover the lights that are shining on your subject, and set your exposure for the background. once you dial that in, you can add in the flash, which won't affect the way the background will look.
BONUS finally getting my long exposure game correct (shouts to the bmw with blue lights that came by making the lights look even more intresting)

Back
Top Bottom