Official Pizza Appreciation!

Scarr's tonight. Regular & grandma. Topped it with hot honey drizzle.
20240105_193959.jpg
20240105_195024.jpg

I know I've posted this place, but it's too damn good not to post again! 🙏Had an appointment with the dermatologist which is from my hospital where I had my transplant, at a satellite office, to test a little extra skin around where they found some skin cancer & removed a few weeks prior. Mid afternoon appointment, and literally 2 minutes from my favorite shop Johnny's Pizza of Bryn Mawr.
PXL_20240102_182844371.jpg
PXL_20240102_182930108.jpg

Excuse the lighting as it's a little dim in the back of their shop where the seats are. Best pizza ANYWHERE on or near the Mainline (Villanova) area PERIOD! I prepped for this so I had no breakfast, and a light dinner the night before. Ate the whole thing, lol.

Both his square and round pies are really incredible! Square is a tad softer but still crispy. Just not as crispy as the round. Got a followup to check my stitches in a week and a half so I'll go back for the square. Thankfully what they removed didn't spread so it was singled to its area. 🙏🙏 Just waiting to hear if the margins they removed are clean. But the pizza took my mind off it it a little.

Owner and I were talking, he's working open to close to be ready for when Portnoy comes in. When he does, it's gonna be a score in the 8s, I know it. Anyone local to the Nova, KOP, Delco area, this place is worth the drive.

I need to hit up Scarrs. I think the owner is a Dominican dude from Uptown. In general, I’m just not crazy about going to that part of Manhattan (or Manhattan in general to be fair). But one day I will drag myself there.

I need to hit up Scarrs. I think the owner is a Dominican dude from Uptown. In general, I’m just not crazy about going to that part of Manhattan (or Manhattan in general to be fair). But one day I will drag myself there.
Yup, they're one of the cities very few Black owned pizzerias. Owner Scarr Pimentel is a Black Dominican Latino I read. Is the area too commercially busy for you? I totally get it, it's a madhouse on Lower East Side most days.

Yup, they're one of the cities very few Black owned pizzerias. Owner Scarr Pimentel is a Black Dominican Latino I read. Is the area too commercially busy for you? I totally get it, it's a madhouse on Lower East Side most days.

I’m tired of Manhattan in general but especially Downtown. I used to be out in LES a lot years ago, going to shows at Bowery Ballroom, Vandal restaurant (RIP).

If you wear a Yankee hat and denounce the Mets, I'll meet you there and buy you a pie

Bruv I’m in freakin Texas. I haven’t found a single dope pizza spot in the total of 4 years I’ve lived here

I found like 1 but it is just alright

Anyone know any in Dallas??? I should have asked this a long time ago
Damn, that sucks, lol. I'm sure they've got at least a couple of good or pretty good pizza joints around town.

And thing with Texas culinary scene is that it's so heavily dominated by Mexican cuisine & BBQ that the idea & passion for opening pizzerias there is thrown on the back burner.

Last edited:
I’m tired of Manhattan in general but especially Downtown. I used to be out in LES a lot years ago, going to shows at Bowery Ballroom, Vandal restaurant (RIP).
What was the Vandal restaurant? Google shows "Global street eats, American mains & cocktails in a splashy space with a lower-level lounge & DJs." Must've been lively on the weekends & Fri nights. Wonder why they closed?

If
Pizza from L'industrie & Best Pizza both in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Burrata & Margherita slice at L'in & regulars at Best Pizza. Bonus pics of a burger I got from BurgerMania in Manhattan W 40th.
20240115_124151.jpg
20240115_145935.jpg
20240115_133607.jpg
20240115_140020.jpg
20240115_141343.jpg
20240115_145349.jpg
If you're ever at Best Pizza again, get the white slice. Super good and the sesame seeds on the crust just adds an extra level of flavor.

What was the Vandal restaurant? Google shows "Global street eats, American mains & cocktails in a splashy space with a lower-level lounge & DJs." Must've been lively on the weekends & Fri nights. Wonder why they closed?

It was sort of a trendy fusion spot with a graffiti theme. People loved taking flicks by the staircase which was covered with tags. I believe Tristin Eaton and Obey did murals inside the spot.

IMG_4768.jpeg

I went a couple of times years ago. It used to be right around the corner from the Bowery Ballroom and directly across the street from Supreme. It closed early on during Covid. I guess the restrictions forced them to close.

Some flicks from the first time I went. Everything was good minus the tostones. I think that was some kind of chicken on top. Just didn’t work and was kind of cold tbh. The fish tacos were definitely the best.

20161112_190444.jpeg
20161112_192905.jpeg
20161112_193247.jpeg
20161112_195930.jpeg
20161112_192931.jpeg

If

If you're ever at Best Pizza again, get the white slice. Super good and the sesame seeds on the crust just adds an extra level of flavor.
Yeah definitely will go back. This was my 2nd time, I went first like I think 5 years ago & loved it. I'll be back sooner than that this time around...maybe tomorrow I'll drive back out again if the weather ain't too frigid here but if it is I have a plan B.

It was sort of a trendy fusion spot with a graffiti theme. People loved taking flicks by the staircase which was covered with tags. I believe Tristin Eaton and Obey did murals inside the spot.

IMG_4768.jpeg

I went a couple of times years ago. It used to be right around the corner from the Bowery Ballroom and directly across the street from Supreme. It closed early on during Covid. I guess the restrictions forced them to close.

Some flicks from the first time I went. Everything was good minus the tostones. I think that was some kind of chicken on top. Just didn’t work and was kind of cold tbh. The fish tacos were definitely the best.

20161112_190444.jpeg
20161112_192905.jpeg
20161112_193247.jpeg
20161112_195930.jpeg
20161112_192931.jpeg
Looks really good. How was their pizza? Smh, that damn covid. A lot of good spots bit the dust due to that crap, unfortunately. Staircase looks dope.

Looks really good. How was their pizza? Smh, that damn covid. A lot of good spots bit the dust due to that crap, unfortunately. Staircase looks dope.

Pizza was great, I believe that was the BLT pizza from their dinner service. Also contained bits of broccoli on it. But without a doubt, the fish tacos were the best dish. And that surprised me, I regretted not ordering more. We tore that up.

This was from a brunch visit.
IMG_4773.jpeg

I think this was Oreo cheesecake waffles. Very good.

IMG_4774.jpeg

Margherita pizza. This was so-so. It was surprisingly salty. It tasted saltier than the BLT pizza.

IMG_4775.jpeg

Blackberry caipirinha drink. I had a few drinks, this was definitely the best one.

finally tried a pickle pie slice. got an appetizer slice while waiting for my to go pie. pickles, garlic, dill, ranch based sauce, and everything bagel seasoning on the crust. would def have one again but couldn’t do an entire pie…

IMG_4255.jpeg

trifecta Detroit pie. cheese topped with three different sauces: marinara, vodka, and pesto

IMG_4265.jpeg

Went to my spot again for a late lunch/early dinner, as my wife was having dinner with her coworkers after work. Went with the rectangle cheese and it was HEAVEN!!!

PXL_20240123_200950801.jpg

There is simply no better pie anyway around the Mainline/Villanova/Chester County area. There just isn't (and I've tried the ones everyone says are the best). I always have it in a box but eat it there as the drive home is 35 minutes at minimum, and it will be cool by then. So I just relax in a booth, watch ESPN he has on the TV and enjoy! 👏👏👏

Back
Top Bottom