Official Programming & Development Thread Vol. ASP.NET, C/C#/C++, HTML, Java, Etc.

Dulles commute
sick.gif
Plenty of jobs in Herndon/Reston. It's one of the major tech hubs on the east coast.

I picked up a bunch of classes on UDemy back when they had their $9.99 sale. I'm hoping to switch career fields (Web Development) once I'm done with this degree.

Does anyone here sell Wordpress templates or full Wordpress sites? If so how has that been working out? I've been thinking about doing this in between work, school, and my other design work, but not sure how profitable (experience and money wise) it will be. 

You gon have to get your PHP up for WP development but not difficult. I thought about doing it myself but w/ so many out there it'd be hard to get into the market and really succeed but I wish u the best.

What you could also do is build you a few templates to either sell or use yourself and do website builds or redesigns. Using WP makes it that much easier to do and faster. If you haven't already done so, check out FreeCodeCamp for the webdev stuff as well.
It's minimal php at best. Most of the heavy lifting is done by the Wordpress codex. You just have to know which Wordpress function to call to embed or loop stuff on your page.

I got lucky, man. I work right in old town and live at national harbor

I couldn't imagine that 495 traffic
sick.gif

But it's worth it
Oh I thought you were saying you were commuting from dulles to dc .

Yeah you got a nice commute.

I'm going from Cap Heights to Arrundel Mills *sigh* .

I picked up a bunch of classes on UDemy back when they had their $9.99 sale. I'm hoping to switch career fields (Web Development) once I'm done with this degree.

Does anyone here sell Wordpress templates or full Wordpress sites? If so how has that been working out? I've been thinking about doing this in between work, school, and my other design work, but not sure how profitable (experience and money wise) it will be. 
You gon have to get your PHP up for WP development but not difficult. I thought about doing it myself but w/ so many out there it'd be hard to get into the market and really succeed but I wish u the best.

What you could also do is build you a few templates to either sell or use yourself and do website builds or redesigns. Using WP makes it that much easier to do and faster. If you haven't already done so, check out FreeCodeCamp for the webdev stuff as well.
It's minimal php at best. Most of the heavy lifting is done by the Wordpress codex. You just have to know which Wordpress function to call to embed or loop stuff on your page.
Good looks guys. I'll look into this a bit more and decide if I want to pursue this as a side hustle. Learning the code won't be that difficult for me, it's just the time that it takes :/

So if anyone is interested in web development advice, i can give some insight.

Just some stuff to look into if you're just starting out:

FRONT-END
Html/css
Sass/scss*
-MVC/Frameworks
--ReactJS*
--VueJS
Sass
-Compiliers/taskrunners
webpack*
gulp

note:
Jquery is almost a thing of the past.

If you're just starting web frontend, your workflow might include something like your favorite text editor, wordpress, pure css with something like bootstrap,foundation(etc).
But the new trend is slowly moving away from the cms handing the front and backend to the cms only handling backend and the data through api

^ Is that possible with Wordpress?

Or are more places moving away from WP and going more into Craft and other CMS?

Though JQuery is slowly dying, at least having the foundations of that and JS will help. Bootstrap definitely makes things so much better. I doubt companies will move away from WP right now but for $300 for the license and better use and security, they might. I don't see the smaller orgs and individuals doing it though due to the cost.

If you're asking if you can manipulate the CSS in WP, you can if u purchase the theme. Here's a site a worked on for a local non-profit. Most of the fonts and colors were edited along w/ some minor PHP from the original theme. IIH

Last edited:
^ Is that possible with Wordpress?

Or are more places moving away from WP and going more into Craft and other CMS?
Yep, WP recently included their rest api in the 4.7 release. Not much good documentation yet but kinda straight forward if you've developed with wp before.

WP is often the goto for quick projects but there are many other choices/alternatives that can give same/similar results.

Bigger places probably use their own cms/api system.

If you're asking if you can manipulate the CSS in WP, you can if u purchase the theme. Here's a site a worked on for a local non-profit. Most of the fonts and colors were edited along w/ some minor PHP from the original theme. IIH
Question for you. When you do these sites, do you just give the client access to the site to make updates? Or do you handle all of that as well? I'm only asking because I am actually working on a site now for a friend and I was wondering how I should go about making updates and things like that in the future.

Question for you. When you do these sites, do you just give the client access to the site to make updates? Or do you handle all of that as well? I'm only asking because I am actually working on a site now for a friend and I was wondering how I should go about making updates and things like that in the future.

(Assuming you mean content and the maintenance of said content)

Never get suckered into having to update a site for clients. Make em learn how to do stuff!

And make your backend easy enough for them to do it.

(I know this wasnt a question for me, just wanted to help)

Last edited:

Well, since I'm starting out, when we do finish a project, we give them a grace period for updates 30days> as a courtesy. But we also create a documentation sheet so once that period is up they can do it on their own. Now if they want to contract us to do it and pay, I aint mad at it. I've only done the one website and that's how we did it.

It's not that WP is difficult to learn, some of the addons are though and configuring the API if there's an update.

I would suggest you give your boy a grace period and let him know that once that period is over, he own his own. Time is money unfortunately, he may be upset but he gon have to learn how to make the changes himself.

(Assuming you mean content and the maintenance of said content)

Never get suckered into having to update a site for clients. Make em learn how to do stuff!

And make your backend easy enough for them to do it.

(I know this wasnt a question for me, just wanted to help)
That makes sense. I'm all about self help and would prefer if the client does their own updates and stuff.

Well, since I'm starting out, when we do finish a project, we give them a grace period for updates 30days> as a courtesy. But we also create a documentation sheet so once that period is up they can do it on their own. Now if they want to contract us to do it and pay, I aint mad at it. I've only done the one website and that's how we did it.

It's not that WP is difficult to learn, some of the addons are though and configuring the API if there's an update.

I would suggest you give your boy a grace period and let him know that once that period is over, he own his own. Time is money unfortunately, he may be upset but he gon have to learn how to make the changes himself.
Got it! He is pretty tech savy just not good enough to make a website, but with some documentation he should be straight. I'll work out all the details with him next time we meet up. 

Good looks yall!

Thanks yall, I'll give her all feedback. She's ready to start working on her next project :lol:

These threads fail because nobody wants to talk about actual projects their working on as well as provide any help or tips.

I want to create a game as my side project. I have no experience with game dev.
Started reading a book called Tabletop Game Design for Video Game Designers.
Only prob is I sit in front of a computer at work. It's hard to go home and do it some more on my free time.

How beneficial are programming boot camps? I've considered signing up for one. I would like to change career fields, but I feel like I would need years of experience to be considered for a programming job.

Any tips or suggestions on where I should look to get started? I used to do a lot of HTML back in the day.

Programming bootcamps are beneficial if you have the time. I believe you have to stay on the premises from sun up to sun down

Programming bootcamps are beneficial if you have the time. I believe you have to stay on the premises from sun up to sun down
I've seen some of those.

UC Irvine is offering an accelerated course 3 days a week for 12 weeks, I think.

Considering it, but not sure yet.

I've seen some of those.

UC Irvine is offering an accelerated course 3 days a week for 12 weeks, I think.

Considering it, but not sure yet.

I'd stay away from an accelerated course but that's just me. Also the cost must be crazy coming from UC Irvine

How beneficial are programming boot camps? I've considered signing up for one. I would like to change career fields, but I feel like I would need years of experience to be considered for a programming job.

Any tips or suggestions on where I should look to get started? I used to do a lot of HTML back in the day.
I’m in one at my college now. Classes three times a week for 6 months. 630-930 tues and thurs, 10-2 sat. Not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom