Official Programming & Development Thread Vol. ASP.NET, C/C#/C++, HTML, Java, Etc.

I'm still on the iOS one LL. I'm about 20% done and been at it for like 6 days. But the lessons are taking longer as the course goes on which is good because it's getting more in depth and there's real learning going on. I can't front I was skeptical when I first signed up for them, but I'm impressed at the thoroughness. There's so much hands on that you'll learn for sure my dude.

I'm still on the iOS one LL. I'm about 20% done and been at it for like 6 days. But the lessons are taking longer as the course goes on which is good because it's getting more in depth and there's real learning going on. I can't front I was skeptical when I first signed up for them, but I'm impressed at the thoroughness. There's so much hands on that you'll learn for sure my dude.

How many hours a day are you dedicating? I ask because I`m in Grad School + Work Full time, so trying to gauge a plan of action.

My issue with JavaScript is that I have trouble trying to make sense of the advance syntax to figure out why I need to code it a certain way.

Having to .split() and then manipulate the variables and then .join() it and then run it into a function to produce varied results all baffle me. I'm coo w/ simple functions and arrays, even jagged to a degree, however, multi-dimension arrays are confusing to me; it's almost like slipping into a rabbit hole.

Any suggestions to understand that better?

How many hours a day are you dedicating? I ask because I`m in Grad School + Work Full time, so trying to gauge a plan of action.

Ok yeah that's true, I'm putting in like no less than 6 hours a day. But to be honest I don't think it will take as much time for you as you are a more experienced programmer than me. You'd pick up Swift very fast because you'd only be learning the slight differences that is it has from other OO languages. If you put in 45 minutes to an hour at least 5 times a week it would take 4-6 weeks for you to finish. And by the time you finish you'd be legit ready to make an app that you could submit to Apple.

Ok yeah that's true, I'm putting in like no less than 6 hours a day. But to be honest I don't think it will take as much time for you as you are a more experienced programmer than me. You'd pick up Swift very fast because you'd only be learning the slight differences that is it has from other OO languages. If you put in 45 minutes to an hour at least 5 times a week it would take 4-6 weeks for you to finish. And by the time you finish you'd be legit ready to make an app that you could submit to Apple.

I`m A Business Analyst lol, I have coded and understand OO principles but being a full time developer is not what I want to do career wise. I do want to become more technical because as I advance in my career I`d have to be able to defend my decisions amongst more advance programmers. I`m more than likely going to outsource all the coding whenever I decide to do my entrepreneur thing but I still want to be up on the technical side to be able to ensure I`m building out something great. App development and all that jazz will be my side thing, while I`m "working for the man" I`m trying to eventually become a Solution or Enterprise Architect focusing on Business Intelligence and Cloud, so all this stuff comes full circle.

I`m A Business Analyst lol, I have coded and understand OO principles but being a full time developer is not what I want to do career wise. I do want to become more technical because as I advance in my career I`d have to be able to defend my decisions amongst more advance programmers. I`m more than likely going to outsource all the coding whenever I decide to do my entrepreneur thing but I still want to be up on the technical side to be able to ensure I`m building out something great. App development and all that jazz will be my side thing, while I`m "working for the man" I`m trying to eventually become a Solution or Enterprise Architect focusing on Business Intelligence and Cloud, so all this stuff comes full circle.

Haha smart move, and yes app dev can be a lucrative side opportunity. And yeah working for the man is critical. I learned a lot about how business is run and picked up a lot of best practices being an employee. Wouldn't trade it for anything, and would be less prepared and experienced had I not my dude. I talk all confident, but trust I miss the security of a regular check :lol:

Teach me your ways bruh, I'm trying to get into IT Project Management and can't for the life of me get an IT BA or PM position.

Teach me your ways bruh, I'm trying to get into IT Project Management and can't for the life of me get an IT BA or PM position.

Have you worked in a technical role or are you trying to get your first gig? I recently transitioned from Software Dev to Infrastructure because like I said long term I want to become an Architect. Have you been through an entire SDLC whether it be classwork or on the job? PM me if needed, not sure if this is derailing the thread.

Have you worked in a technical role or are you trying to get your first gig? I recently transitioned from Software Dev to Infrastructure because like I said long term I want to become an Architect. Have you been through an entire SDLC whether it be classwork or on the job? PM me if needed, not sure if this is derailing the thread.

Nope, have some personal technical exp but real in-depth. I've tried getting entry-level gigs like help desk and even sought a Geek Squad position but all I get is "lack of experience". I'm studying to take the CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) test through PMI as a mark on my resume that will hopefully give me another look from employers. I know I can do the work but companies just don't wanna give a brotha a chance

Nope, have some personal technical exp but real in-depth. I've tried getting entry-level gigs like help desk and even sought a Geek Squad position but all I get is "lack of experience". I'm studying to take the CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management) test through PMI as a mark on my resume that will hopefully give me another look from employers. I know I can do the work but companies just don't wanna give a brotha a chance

thats how it is man, I know one of these coding sites (Code Academy?) has a program where you can do work for Non Profits (volunteering of coursE) and you may be able to use that to build your experience up. Most you can do is look for Junior PM roles, I know AT&T has a Development Program that hires twice a year, but of course a TON of recent grads apply so its tough to get into the door. The biggest thing is if you can find work utilizing your coding skills you can then leverage how you also took on PM/BA roles/task during the project.

thats how it is man, I know one of these coding sites (Code Academy?) has a program where you can do work for Non Profits (volunteering of coursE) and you may be able to use that to build your experience up. Most you can do is look for Junior PM roles, I know AT&T has a Development Program that hires twice a year, but of course a TON of recent grads apply so its tough to get into the door. The biggest thing is if you can find work utilizing your coding skills you can then leverage how you also took on PM/BA roles/task during the project.

Word, ThermFisher Scientific has a PM Intern position but they want cats in undergrad, I'm going to apply anyway and send a formal letter stating why.

FCC is the site that has the volunteer opportunities but you have to finish the Full-Stack Developer path first before they assign it to you.

Word, ThermFisher Scientific has a PM Intern position but they want cats in undergrad, I'm going to apply anyway and send a formal letter stating why.

FCC is the site that has the volunteer opportunities but you have to finish the Full-Stack Developer path first before they assign it to you.

You should look at throwing your resume on Dice because its a lot of thirsty recruiters on there and also hitting up an IT staffing agency and hopping on a contractor gig.

You should look at throwing your resume on Dice because its a lot of thirsty recruiters on there and also hitting up an IT staffing agency and hopping on a contractor gig.

I'll give it a go again, even they try to shade me :smh:

Attending this Start Up mixer at the end of this month so I can mingle w/ cats looking for people.

Attending this Start Up mixer at the end of this month so I can mingle w/ cats looking for people.

Gotta shoot your shot bruh lol, I had no internships in undergrad but I did work help desk at the university for a yr during undergrad, slung cell phones for a yr when I first graduated (granted I made more money than most college grads doing it) and finally landed my first job directly in my career field ( funny enough I had interviewed with the company when I first grad and lost out to someone else). Its hard out here, but once you finally get your foot in the door it will make you appreciate things so much more.

People, I'm going to start splitting my day into half app dev education and half White Hat hacker training using Kali Linux. I'll let y'all know how that goes. Supposedly I can run Kali Linux from my USB drive so that I can take my exploits with me and it be encrypted and leave no trace on my actual PC. Part of this is for hobby, but long term it could be a revenue opportunities if I decide to pursue the Offensive Security Certified Professional Cert. Basically Kali is a specialized distro of Linux that com s pre-installed with over 200 different types of exploitation tools.

It's amazing how many entry level/jr gigs I see that say 2-4 years of experience with basically senior level knowledge and certs, it's wild. I see friggin desktop support positions asking for bachelors and a ITIL and PMP cert. Systems Engineers have to know every language posted here plus how to build out a network infrastructure. Some sort of weird shift happened that blurred lines, where you have to catch up or be left behind.

It's amazing how many entry level/jr gigs I see that say 2-4 years of experience with basically senior level knowledge and certs, it's wild. I see friggin desktop support positions asking for bachelors and a ITIL and PMP cert. Systems Engineers have to know every language posted here plus how to build out a network infrastructure. Some sort of weird shift happened that blurred lines, where you have to catch up or be left behind.
It's happening everywhere. That's why I recommend getting that experience immediately in high school/college.

I had to learn the hard way.

How would ya'll feel about asking for help with projects in here? Like not asking to people to help write code, but kind of guiding someone through an issue they're having with their code?

Somebody in here asked me earlier how does computing fit in with my drone company, well the link below shows and explains the developer kit and mini-computer that allows for extra sensors. Pretty dope and it's still in the ground floor. It's so dope being part of a new technology wave. Also I'm going to start a thread thoroughly explaining the pros and cons of having a startup company it will be very informative.

http://fortune.com/2015/11/02/dji-manifold-computer/

Gotta shoot your shot bruh lol, I had no internships in undergrad but I did work help desk at the university for a yr during undergrad, slung cell phones for a yr when I first graduated (granted I made more money than most college grads doing it) and finally landed my first job directly in my career field ( funny enough I had interviewed with the company when I first grad and lost out to someone else). Its hard out here, but once you finally get your foot in the door it will make you appreciate things so much more.

Word up b :lol: I'm fittin to put up A.I. and Kobe shot attempts. It's tougher for me because I'm about 3 years into this career change, wasn't my initial goal when I was in undergrad.

And it sucks because they're asking for this almost like throwing ish at the wall and seeing what sticks in regards to getting who they consider are qualified candidates.

How would ya'll feel about asking for help with projects in here? Like not asking to people to help write code, but kind of guiding someone through an issue they're having with their code?
I don't think that would be an issue, not 100% sure though not my thread.

Back
Top Bottom