Official San Antonio Spurs VS Memphis Grizzlies 1st Round Thread: MEM Win 4-2!

laugh.gif
at the .gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

I don't understand how people can hate the Spurs. They have a class coach and arguably have the best power forward in NBA history. Their staff does a great job in drafting and find quality players from God knows where. They have one of the most dynamic backcourts in basketball, and the team takes pride on being solid defensively. They don't have any drama or conflicts and always try to stay under the radar press-wise. They're a template for what a sports franchise should look like.

i think alot of the hate for the spurs on niketalk stems from one of their fans who is actually not on this board anymore. its the whole one apple can spoil the whole bunch effect...
laugh.gif

I don't understand how people can hate the Spurs. They have a class coach and arguably have the best power forward in NBA history. Their staff does a great job in drafting and find quality players from God knows where. They have one of the most dynamic backcourts in basketball, and the team takes pride on being solid defensively. They don't have any drama or conflicts and always try to stay under the radar press-wise. They're a template for what a sports franchise should look like.

i think alot of the hate for the spurs on niketalk stems from one of their fans who is actually not on this board anymore. its the whole one apple can spoil the whole bunch effect...
laugh.gif

I agree with almost everything you said except for your last statement. I say that because I honestly think they have figured out & showed everyone how a small market team should be built & run to win multiple championships. The proof is now the Oklahoma City Thunder. Sam Presti who now runs the Thunder worked a few years and learned from Poppvich and the rest of the Spurs front office. Now the Thunder are a young elite team who look like they have a legit shot at winning a ring within a couple years after this current Laker dynasty is done.

As for why people the hate Spurs here are a couple reasons:

-The year before they got Tim Duncan many people point to the Spurs & Poppvich tanking that season in order to improve their chances in the draft lottery that year Duncan went pro.
- People don't like the style of Manu Ginobili's game, especially how for years & even now he still gets away with kicking out his legs, drawing contact and drawing fouls on jump shots. Yes other players like Dwyne Wade& Kevin Martin are also offenders but nobody else comes close to Manu.
- Laker fans don't like how people in the media try to argue the Spurs dynasty of 4 titles in 7 years without ever winning back to back championships and a 1999 strike shortened title was better than the Lakers 3 peat dynasty last decade.
- Lastly yeah some NT Spurs fans like Do Be Doo caused a lot of hate towards the Spurs here on NT

I agree with almost everything you said except for your last statement. I say that because I honestly think they have figured out & showed everyone how a small market team should be built & run to win multiple championships. The proof is now the Oklahoma City Thunder. Sam Presti who now runs the Thunder worked a few years and learned from Poppvich and the rest of the Spurs front office. Now the Thunder are a young elite team who look like they have a legit shot at winning a ring within a couple years after this current Laker dynasty is done.

As for why people the hate Spurs here are a couple reasons:

-The year before they got Tim Duncan many people point to the Spurs & Poppvich tanking that season in order to improve their chances in the draft lottery that year Duncan went pro.
- People don't like the style of Manu Ginobili's game, especially how for years & even now he still gets away with kicking out his legs, drawing contact and drawing fouls on jump shots. Yes other players like Dwyne Wade& Kevin Martin are also offenders but nobody else comes close to Manu.
- Laker fans don't like how people in the media try to argue the Spurs dynasty of 4 titles in 7 years without ever winning back to back championships and a 1999 strike shortened title was better than the Lakers 3 peat dynasty last decade.
- Lastly yeah some NT Spurs fans like Do Be Doo caused a lot of hate towards the Spurs here on NT

the spurs get all the respect in the world from me as a laker fan.

dudes like do be doo are clowns but i've came across a ton of laker fans that act the same way so it is what it is.

their a well ran, well oragnized small market team and their success is impressive. one thing i always respected about the spurs is that they didn't make excuses when they lost. sacramento had a million excuses why the lakers beat them in 02 but when the spurs lost in 01 and 02 to the lakers and 04 when .4 happened, i didn't hear a single excuse from the spurs any of those years and i gained alot of respect for that team and franchise off that.

that and being able to win a few titles consistently in the 2000's, the spurs get respect from me.

the spurs get all the respect in the world from me as a laker fan.

dudes like do be doo are clowns but i've came across a ton of laker fans that act the same way so it is what it is.

their a well ran, well oragnized small market team and their success is impressive. one thing i always respected about the spurs is that they didn't make excuses when they lost. sacramento had a million excuses why the lakers beat them in 02 but when the spurs lost in 01 and 02 to the lakers and 04 when .4 happened, i didn't hear a single excuse from the spurs any of those years and i gained alot of respect for that team and franchise off that.

that and being able to win a few titles consistently in the 2000's, the spurs get respect from me.

--Cosign. Of course the Spurs are respected. And I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Aside from our good friend Do Be Doo.
--Just dont like that theres even a debate that they were the "team of the decade" or "franchise of the decade".
--"well they were consistent" is the only argument people have.

--Head to head, the Lakers own these guys in playoff series.
--We opened the decade with a 3Peat and closed it with a repeat. Spurs fans cant tell me they wouldnt trade their accolades for ours.

--TD is THE BEST PF to ever play this game. But even with that recognition along with his 3 Finals MVPs he wasnt the player of the decade. Thats another argument though.
--Sad Do Be isnt here to argue with.

--RIP Spurs. It was a good one.

--Cosign. Of course the Spurs are respected. And I'm sure the feeling is mutual. Aside from our good friend Do Be Doo.
--Just dont like that theres even a debate that they were the "team of the decade" or "franchise of the decade".
--"well they were consistent" is the only argument people have.

--Head to head, the Lakers own these guys in playoff series.
--We opened the decade with a 3Peat and closed it with a repeat. Spurs fans cant tell me they wouldnt trade their accolades for ours.

--TD is THE BEST PF to ever play this game. But even with that recognition along with his 3 Finals MVPs he wasnt the player of the decade. Thats another argument though.
--Sad Do Be isnt here to argue with.

--RIP Spurs. It was a good one.

People are just tired of the Spurs. It's natural. They've had like 14 great years in a row! Some franchises would kill just to have 5 great years in a row. Plus when you consider even the pre-Duncan era, you can go back even further to the last 22 years and 21 of those seasons they've had a winning record. A lot of us aren't even old enough to remember when the Spurs didn't have a good team 

People are just tired of the Spurs. It's natural. They've had like 14 great years in a row! Some franchises would kill just to have 5 great years in a row. Plus when you consider even the pre-Duncan era, you can go back even further to the last 22 years and 21 of those seasons they've had a winning record. A lot of us aren't even old enough to remember when the Spurs didn't have a good team 

I think the stigma is, if you're gonna win, you'd better let most people who like basketball share in it. They share in it when Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett get a chip. They share in it with Kobe, Lamar, Artest and Pau. They would've shared in it with Shaq and D-Wade, but that wasn't basketball, that was a disgrace.

Now...what part of Manu Ginobili endears itself to anyone outside of Argentina and a scouting report? The Big Fundamental? All Tony Parker does is eat, play and $%*+. He's got more personality than Rondo, but none of the toughness or support around him.

Their basketball is just too old-fashioned. Lower ego, high accountability on both ends, neutral off-court personality. It ain't star driven enough, it doesn't have enough flair. Their core doesn't have enough personality...and in a way that's what makes them unpredictable. Their whole mentality of finding players isn't gonna make that kind of team. They love having veterans and sonned young players. They never wanna break the chemistry of the team so they always get guys who can blend into the background.

But it worked. And even there it's a letdown. Their biggest series wins were never in the Finals. They damn near swept us
tired.gif
, swept the Cavs and made everyone not watch the Finals against the Nets and Pistons. We'll at least remember they did it, but more on the tilt of them stopping other teams from winning.

I think the stigma is, if you're gonna win, you'd better let most people who like basketball share in it. They share in it when Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett get a chip. They share in it with Kobe, Lamar, Artest and Pau. They would've shared in it with Shaq and D-Wade, but that wasn't basketball, that was a disgrace.

Now...what part of Manu Ginobili endears itself to anyone outside of Argentina and a scouting report? The Big Fundamental? All Tony Parker does is eat, play and $%*+. He's got more personality than Rondo, but none of the toughness or support around him.

Their basketball is just too old-fashioned. Lower ego, high accountability on both ends, neutral off-court personality. It ain't star driven enough, it doesn't have enough flair. Their core doesn't have enough personality...and in a way that's what makes them unpredictable. Their whole mentality of finding players isn't gonna make that kind of team. They love having veterans and sonned young players. They never wanna break the chemistry of the team so they always get guys who can blend into the background.

But it worked. And even there it's a letdown. Their biggest series wins were never in the Finals. They damn near swept us
tired.gif
, swept the Cavs and made everyone not watch the Finals against the Nets and Pistons. We'll at least remember they did it, but more on the tilt of them stopping other teams from winning.

I never hated the Spurs. Besides the flopping which can get annoying, everything about their organization is first class. It was always telling to me that while Shaq was making fun of the Blazers and Kings in his heyday, he always gave respect to the Spurs.
@ChrisVernonShow Spurs GM RC Buford went in Grizzlies locker room to congratulate each players. Spurs organization is all class
First class.
pimp.gif

I never hated the Spurs. Besides the flopping which can get annoying, everything about their organization is first class. It was always telling to me that while Shaq was making fun of the Blazers and Kings in his heyday, he always gave respect to the Spurs.
@ChrisVernonShow Spurs GM RC Buford went in Grizzlies locker room to congratulate each players. Spurs organization is all class
First class.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom