:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

I really need some help from some of our experienced shoe heads here on NT in regards to helping me restore a new pickup of mine. I recently met up a guy on CraigsList who claimed he had a fully wearable pair of 1999 White Cement 4's with firm midsoles (the shoes are beat, but he was quite honest, the midsoles on these are remarkably still firm and in-tact, which I am very excited about). Considering I picked them up for only $100.00 I figured I could definitely try and restore these and they will be as good as new.. I have taken a couple of close up shots and would like the advice of those who can help me out with this project of mine. I have the following specific questions:

1. What can I use to restore the white leather uppers on the shoe? I don't care about creasing, but just want the leather pearly white and take off scuffs, etc. I do not want to resort to that white shoe polish paint type stuff, but I am sure there is a method to go about restoring the uppers on these.
2. What type of white paint can I use to re-paint the midsole back to it's original bright white? From my re-search I heard that "Angelus" paint is what is recommended but I want to know the exact specifics.
3. Is there anything I can do to get the grey on the bottom of the shoe (near the black toe caps) to lose some of that yellowing that has built up and restore the natural cement color?
4. What can I use in order to re-whiten and clean up the dirty netting on the shoes? Common sense is telling me mild soap, water, and perhaps a bit of bleach, but I do not want to mess these up
5. What can I use to re-whiten up the dirty "FLIGHT" tabs on the shoe's tongue without messing up the red jumpman logo?

PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS. 99 4's are my Grails and I honestly gave up hope on finding a wearable pair before I found these gems. Help me restore these!!

I got a scuff on my KD IV Galaxy/All Stars right on the toe box on the silver part. Any way to remove it?

Last edited:
I really need some help from some of our experienced shoe heads here on NT in regards to helping me restore a new pickup of mine. I recently met up a guy on CraigsList who claimed he had a fully wearable pair of 1999 White Cement 4's with firm midsoles (the shoes are beat, but he was quite honest, the midsoles on these are remarkably still firm and in-tact, which I am very excited about). Considering I picked them up for only $100.00 I figured I could definitely try and restore these and they will be as good as new.. I have taken a couple of close up shots and would like the advice of those who can help me out with this project of mine. I have the following specific questions:
1. What can I use to restore the white leather uppers on the shoe? I don't care about creasing, but just want the leather pearly white and take off scuffs, etc. I do not want to resort to that white shoe polish paint type stuff, but I am sure there is a method to go about restoring the uppers on these.
2. What type of white paint can I use to re-paint the midsole back to it's original bright white? From my re-search I heard that "Angelus" paint is what is recommended but I want to know the exact specifics.
3. Is there anything I can do to get the grey on the bottom of the shoe (near the black toe caps) to lose some of that yellowing that has built up and restore the natural cement color?
4. What can I use in order to re-whiten and clean up the dirty netting on the shoes? Common sense is telling me mild soap, water, and perhaps a bit of bleach, but I do not want to mess these up
5. What can I use to re-whiten up the dirty "FLIGHT" tabs on the shoe's tongue without messing up the red jumpman logo?
PLEASE HELP ME OUT GUYS. 99 4's are my Grails and I honestly gave up hope on finding a wearable pair before I found these gems. Help me restore these!!
Gonna try my best to guide out in the right direction. These tips will help you out a lot. Get a mr clean magic eraser to clean up the leather on the shoes. This should help remove scuffs. I don't know about getting it "pearly white" but it will make them look better than before while giving it a vintage look. For the paint use angelus white paint. Research on here on prepping and stripping the paint. But I wouldn't repaint the midsoles, just leave them alone. Just use the magic eraser to clean them. No bleach, don't use bleach. This will weaken the netting with the shoe already 13 years old. For the whitening, first start off with oxyclean. Use this to scrub the flight patch and netting. Results will vary depending on how many times applied for desired results. If that doesn't work, maybe make some retrobrite to use instead. Good luck.

Anyone know how I can get rid of these creases?

Here are some upcoming restorations that I will be posting up soon! From my very own collection.

Cool Grey 3's and OG 1's

and

I just bought a pair of 2001 low 11s to be my first restoration and there is small amounts of glue on the patent leather just above the midsole, anyone know how to remove it?

Gonna try my best to guide out in the right direction. These tips will help you out a lot. Get a mr clean magic eraser to clean up the leather on the shoes. This should help remove scuffs. I don't know about getting it "pearly white" but it will make them look better than before while giving it a vintage look. For the paint use angelus white paint. Research on here on prepping and stripping the paint. But I wouldn't repaint the midsoles, just leave them alone. Just use the magic eraser to clean them. No bleach, don't use bleach. This will weaken the netting with the shoe already 13 years old. For the whitening, first start off with oxyclean. Use this to scrub the flight patch and netting. Results will vary depending on how many times applied for desired results. If that doesn't work, maybe make some retrobrite to use instead. Good luck.

Thanks a bunch this was very helpful. If anybody else can further add to this I would like to gather as much info as possible before I start my attempt at restoring these.

I just bought a pair of 2001 low 11s to be my first restoration and there is small amounts of glue on the patent leather just above the midsole, anyone know how to remove it?
There is a product in footlocker, champs, etc that can do the job. The funny thing is, it's meant to clean suede, nubuck, and etc...

It's not a spray where you scrub, it's a sponge and a rubber material. You can use the rubber to gently take out the excess glue by rubbing into it.

If that doesn't work, you can take a cotton swab and dip it in 70% alcohol and do the same process.

Did some general cleaning. I whitened and deodorized the insoles while keeping the "NIKE AIR" logo intact, removed surface dirt from the upper leather as well as the midsole, and lastly I deeply cleaned the tongue lining.

There is a product in footlocker, champs, etc that can do the job. The funny thing is, it's meant to clean suede, nubuck, and etc...

It's not a spray where you scrub, it's a sponge and a rubber material. You can use the rubber to gently take out the excess glue by rubbing into it.

If that doesn't work, you can take a cotton swab and dip it in 70% alcohol and do the same process.
Thanks man, im going to FL on saturday for the 7 release anyway, ill see if they have it.

repped.

Is there anything that can remove white scuff mark off of nlack patent leather need help to fix my cdp 11 any info is appreciated:smokin

Some recent stuff I've done. instagram @raleighrestorations or Http://www.facebook.com/raleighrestorations

First, restored the "nike air" on the back of a clients '99 fire red 5's.
549668_499939370018106_732921201_n.jpg

Repainted midnight 6's and reglued the front lip (full album still on the way on my facebook page). these still need the soles iced up.
378648_497568840255159_1505793704_n.jpg

2000 infrareds
524508_494668873878489_1016772960_n.jpg

Foamposite Dr Doom
309288_493484157330294_1561537930_n.jpg

Next is a pair of playoff 12's from 2003 where the silver tabs have discolored from age, I restored them and recreated the white stitching to pop
Before:
251940_490465920965451_432077475_n.jpg

after
418325_490466214298755_1091564440_n.jpg

So i'm getting ready to put in some work on my Military IVs including repainting the midsole which I'm not excited to do because it'll be my first time doing it. I have the Angelus already but I see from this thread that I need a paint duller and primer as well; can someone let me know what brands would be best for this?

I'll be posting pics later of a Retrobrite experiment on some Green Bean Vs in the coming days, just gotta fix some sole separation today.

So i'm getting ready to put in some work on my Military IVs including repainting the midsole which I'm not excited to do because it'll be my first time doing it. I have the Angelus already but I see from this thread that I need a paint duller and primer as well; can someone let me know what brands would be best for this?
I'll be posting pics later of a Retrobrite experiment on some Green Bean Vs in the coming days, just gotta fix some sole separation today.

The Duller you should have gotten from Angelus, one thing you'll learn quickly is that shipping is a flat rate regardless of how much you buy. It's a pain to buy a 1oz bottle of paint from them for $2.50 and shipping costs $6.50 or whatever the rate is (close to that). So grab that duller, the primer I never use, just make sure you strip the midsole completely and you'll be fine. I'd also buy angelus white and possibly a lighter shade of blue so you can mix down your blue. The angelus "blue" is not military blue as they are different shades.

Back
Top Bottom