:::OFFICIAL SNEAKER CARE/MAINTENANCE POST::: (It's back!)

A few weeks ago I copped a pair of Black Cement III's in damn near pristine condition for $135 (quite the steal). Unpopped air bubbles, heel tab completely intact, some creasing, but nothing major. The only problem is the yellowing. The midsole is pretty yellow, and also has a couple brown coffee-looking stains on it. Only on the inside of one shoe though, and only a few little drips. Now, I was just gonna repaint it, but something the dude said made me question that. He told me that the midsole on the 2001 retro wasn't originally painted white, and that the foam they used was just originally white, so they had no need to paint them. He said that paint them would cause them to "lose their authenticity" and devalue them. So I decided to consult Google.

But after a little bit of research, I still can't tell whether or not this is true. I found a few videos on Youtube of people painting them, but nothing all that conclusive. Just by looking at them, it could go either way. So were they originally painted or not? If no, will it actually devalue them to repaint them? Also, how do i get those brown stains out? All help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. On a side note, I read something about using teeth whitening gel to whiten them. Seems interesting, would that work?

Honestly if it was originally white then use the methods people use to whiten the middle.sole before you go to the work of painting it. Some soap water and elbow grease should get of ths stains though. Keep us updates on your progress though

Neverwet is available at home depot now

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ole...CiP-cTxfA?&cm_mmc=SEM|G|STO|DSK|D24|Rustoleum

Anyone ever use this on their J's with success?  Also read some reviews of a blueish tint after applying coats.  Can anyone confirm?

http://www.getblockout.com/?tag=im|sm|go|tm&a_aid=011  you may want to try this probably a lot cheaper too. nvm didn't click link not really cheaper but yeah seems breathable and invisible by the infomercial but no reviews

Last edited:
^^^Stuff seems amazing but I dunno if I would wanna put it on my jordans...I sure as hell don't wanna test it out on all the different materials that jordans use.

Tried to clean a small stain on the suede part of my jordan cmft viz air's with "penguin" suede/nubuck cleaner and it left this dark spot. I thought it just had to dry but after a day it was still there. is this something that is repairable???

Quick question for those who sea glow their shoes. What do you prefer the indoor setup or outdoor?

I have been doing mine outdoors and it seems like its taking forever. The sole are definitely getting clearer but it seems like there has to be a faster way?

Quick question for those who sea glow their shoes. What do you prefer the indoor setup or outdoor?

I have been doing mine outdoors and it seems like its taking forever. The sole are definitely getting clearer but it seems like there has to be a faster way?

I prefer.outdoor its cheaper and less maintenance.

The fastest way for applications is to remove the sole and work it in from both sides. Other wise just be patient and wait.

Alright so I was re-painted the midsole of my Spizikes and I didn't like how it looked so I tried to take the paint off with acetone and this what happened.

This is how it looked like when I tried to take the paint off

This is how it looked when I tried acetone some more and tried to repaint over that red

Here's a closeup. You can still kind of see the red and I accidently got the acetone/paint mix on the upper smh.

Is there anyway to strip off the paint and the bleeding completely? And how can I remove that acetone/paint mix on the upper?

How do I fix the suede on my Nike SB Bucks? some suede is fading while some of it is really rough and the opposite of buttery

I need to reglue the outsole of my OG Space Jams how much barge cement do I need to buy? 
the clear barge cement you have to order online and it comes in a can with its own applicator and its more than enough to do your jams, if you dont want to order it online then i would go get some E6000

the clear barge cement you have to order online and it comes in a can with its own applicator and its more than enough to do your jams, if you dont want to order it online then i would go get some E6000

Is E6000 just as good as barge cement I don't wanna wait on online order but I heard barge cement is more flexible because it is rubber?

Tried to clean a small stain on the suede part of my jordan cmft viz air's with "penguin" suede/nubuck cleaner and it left this dark spot. I thought it just had to dry but after a day it was still there. is this something that is repairable???

Most likely a wet stain. Get a wet rag, and just wipe the are. Then dry it with a dry rag. You should be fine.

Is E6000 just as good as barge cement I don't wanna wait on online order but I heard barge cement is more flexible because it is rubber?

E-6000 is perfect for small jobs. If you are regluing the entire sole, barge cement is the choice. If its small areas of separation, E-6000 is your choice,

Anyone know how to darken the suede on Black Cement 4s? Someone stepped on them, made a light mark on the dark suede of the toebox. I tried to clean it with some MINT suede cleaner from FootLocker, only made the light area bigger. I was thinking suede conditioner to darken the suede. 

Last edited:
Anyone know how to darken the suede on Black Cement 4s? Someone stepped on them, made a light mark on the dark suede of the toebox. I tried to clean it with some MINT suede cleaner from FootLocker, only made the light area bigger. I was thinking suede conditioner to darken the suede. 
There is no cleaner that will darken your shoe that I know of yet. Actually using any cleaner will take some color of any suede/nubuck/durabuck materials. They are very delicate material. No matter what cleaner you use it will never leave the material like it was when it was deadstock. It will change the color a tad bit the more and more you use it. Ive been trying to find an all natural cleaner to try and see if its any different. They best thing to do is to dye it.

Last edited:
try and use some lemon on that. Leave some lemon juice on the shoe and let the sun hit it for half a day or something. Then get a rag dip that in some more lemon and try to clean in off

try and use some lemon on that. Leave some lemon juice on the shoe and let the sun hit it for half a day or something. Then get a rag dip that in some more lemon and try to clean in off

Were you replying to my post (about the Bred 4s)?

^^^ My friend used it on some navy blue Vans. Works as advertised but as has been said before it leaves a dull white hue on the shoes, which is especially visible on the canvas material on the Vans. I'd imagine it'd be the same on suede or nubuck. Leather probably not as bad, but I still wouldn't wanna use it on anything but white material.

Last edited:
There is no cleaner that will darken your shoe that I know of yet. Actually using any cleaner will take some color of any suede/nubuck/durabuck materials. They are very delicate material. No matter what cleaner you use it will never leave the material like it was when it was deadstock. It will change the color a tad bit the more and more you use it. Ive been trying to find an all natural cleaner to try and see if its any different. They best thing to do is to dye it.
Thanks for the tip. It sucks to know that these so-called "cleaners" sometimes only make the problem worse, in my case. I was thinking getting Angelus Suede dye and some wool daubers. Would that be good?

Appreciate the info.. was thinking about trying it, but i was worried about it leaving a residue or something.. i might try it on a old pair and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom