OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

Why It's So Hard to Get Coronavirus Testing in the U.S. Right Now

CODX, Parallax Health Sciences , Quest Diag, TSLA, AYTU, CEMI, GNMK, ABT, AKER, INO, Roche are a few co's that have testing kits but no one has rapid testing kits ready to go.

Many sources think we are about to see a spike in cases / deaths. The numbers are jumping quickly, and we did not do enough when we found the first few people. Started with 1 person in WA, and now in almost every state. CO has 44+ now, after having 1 a week ago. Incubation period is 2 weeks so many people could have and spread it without even knowing.

I agree but I think all the work from home, cancellations of large events, etc will slow the spread. The numbers jumped quickly but I'm saying that you have to change forecasts based on all the social distancing and how it will reduce the spread.

Fam what happened to ol boy that was trading JNUG :sick::sick:

C05D1257-44C3-4872-9096-4B1B0A4BEA07.png

I remember when this was $60 and I didn’t understand how to trade it
But it had crazy swings

I agree but I think all the work from home, cancellations of large events, etc will slow the spread. The numbers jumped quickly but I'm saying that you have to change forecasts based on all the social distancing and how it will reduce the spread.

Companies and schools are just doing that now, though. How many people did you come into contact with for the last 3 weeks? I just got back from a vacation to Florida, I take the light rail to work, work downtown in a high rise, went shopping at Costco, etc - all within the last 2 days alone. My office had someone with a confirmed case, and they made the people that sat around her / interacted with her self-quarantine on Tuesday. How many times did she use the coffee machine, or the bathroom, or go to the deli? This stuff can stay on plastic / metals for 3+ days.

They still held the Post Malone concert here last night - think of how many of those people don't wash their hands.

I mean, hopefully its overblown and everything gets back to normal here soon. But there is potential that it could get way worse.

Companies and schools are just doing that now, though. How many people did you come into contact with for the last 3 weeks? I just got back from a vacation to Florida, I take the light rail to work, work downtown in a high rise, went shopping at Costco, etc - all within the last 2 days alone. My office had someone with a confirmed case, and they made the people that sat around her / interacted with her self-quarantine on Tuesday. How many times did she use the coffee machine, or the bathroom, or go to the deli? This stuff can stay on plastic / metals for 3+ days.

They still held the Post Malone concert here last night - think of how many of those people don't wash their hands.

I mean, hopefully its overblown and everything gets back to normal here soon. But there is potential that it could get way worse.

If people can chill for 3 weeks, we could be back to normal in under a month. Instead they are still throwing Post Malone concerts and people holding in person work meetings, smh.

Most of my in person contact was before the virus hit my area. The safety and cleaning precautions will help slow the spread as well.

C.D.C.’s scenarios suggested, 2.4 million to 21 million people in the U.S. could require hospitalization, potentially crushing the nation’s medical system, which has only about 925,000 staffed hospital beds.

- https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/coronavirus-deaths-estimate.html?referringSource=articleShare

Once this happens, all the FED "tools" in the world won't mean a damn thing.

From the same article

[The assumptions fueling those scenarios are mitigated by the fact that cities, states, businesses and individuals are beginning to take steps to slow transmission, even if some are acting less aggressively than others. The C.D.C.-led effort is developing more sophisticated models showing how interventions might decrease the worst-case numbers, though their projections have not been made public.

“When people change their behavior," said Lauren Gardner, an associate professor at the Johns Hopkins Whiting School of Engineering who models epidemics, “those model parameters are no longer applicable,” so short-term forecasts are likely to be more accurate. “There is a lot of room for improvement if we act appropriately.” ]

Trump reportedly rejected aggressive coronavirus testing in hopes it would help his re-election

Number of specimens tested for SARS CoV-2 by CDC labs (N=3903) and U.S. public health laboratories* (N=9721)†

DON'T TEST DON'T TELL

SKorea tests more than that per Day.

The following healthcare companies have announced recent actions related to COVID-19:

OPKO Health (NASDAQ:OPK): Subsidiary BioReference Laboratories is now accepting samples for COVID-19. It is also offering a public drive-through testing facility in New Rochelle, NY, with additional satellite sites to be set up next week enabling the processing of up to 5,000 tests/day. Shares up 53% premarket.

Luminex (NASDAQ:LMNX): Announced that four independent laboratories have validated laboratory-developed tests (LDTs) using the ARIES System. It plans to file for an Emergency Use Authorization for ARIES SARS-CoV-2 next month.

FDA: On board with the New York State Department of Health authorizing certain in-state labs to begin patient testing after validation and notifying authorities.

Enanta Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:ENTA): Initiated a program to discover direct-acting antiviral drug candidates.

Can-Fite BioPharma (NYSEMKT:CANF): Will collaborate with the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University in Philadelphia to explore the potential effect of piclidenoson on coronaviruses. Shares up 25% premarket.

I-Mab BioPharma (NASDAQ:IMAB): Initiated development of TJM2, a neutralizing antibody against human granulocyte-macrophage colony stimulating factor (GM-CSF), to treat cytokine storm in severe and critically ill COVID-19 patients.

La Jolla Pharmaceutical Company (NASDAQ:LJPC): Will provide Giapreza (angiotensin II) in Italy for compassionate use in patients with septic shock associated with COVID-19. Shares up 36% premarket.

QIAGEN (NYSE:QGEN): Announced $598K in funding from BARDA to support accelerated development of its QIAstat-Dx test kit for identifying the genetic material of SARS-CoV-2.

RUMORS SWIRLING: All travel banned domestic and foreign - announcement expected from President Trump at 3pm
If this happens...

Trying to buy some puts on JETS for April 17 expiry, and TD Ameritrade cant process my cash deposit fast enough for me to buy :smh: Need this before Trump halts all domestic air travel!
Never doubt your vibe... which I did and bought SPY puts instead :smh:

Just got an emergency text from NYC government: they are implementing emergency loans and grants for small businesses to help cover payroll and prevent layoffs. This is getting bad quick.

I asked earlier what happens if all this stimulus fails, now I'm thinking bread lines. Not even joking, it's possible.

Celltrion vows superfast test kit, cure on COVID-19 within months

South Korea’s top biosimilar developer Celltrion has double down on efforts to develop a super-fast test kit on identifying COVID-19 and a cure for which a clinical trial could be initiated in six months’ time.

Celltrion Chairman Seo Jung-jin said in a YouTube live stream on Thursday the company has a goal of commercializing the kit within three months in cooperation with a local partner and the daily supply could reach up to 100,000 units.

“We are focusing on screening antibodies that meet the sensitivity and accuracy level required for diagnostic kits by using blood samples from COVID-19 survivors,” said Seo, adding he expects to see a prototype in April, clinical evaluation in May and commercial supply after June.

To test COVID-19 infection, a method called quantitative reverse transcription PCR (RT-qPCR) is widely used but it takes a few hours to obtain results although its accuracy is very high. In contrast, a rapid diagnostic kit works fast but its accuracy is low.

Celltrion is planning to combine the advantages of both methods, showing accurate results within 15 to 20 minutes, Seo said.

Regarding the development of a COVID-19 cure, Seo said the company continues researching the efficacy of CT-P38, its investigational antibody to treat the Middle East respiratory syndrome, as well as CT-P27, its multi-antibody drug for influenza tested in a phase 2b study. At the same time, a multi-antibody against virus mutations is being studied based on the analysis of the novel coronavirus.

The clinical trial for the cure will be possible after six months, Seo said, adding the company’s plan is to demonstrate safety in a phase 1 study and both safety and efficacy and side effects in up to 1,000 patients in a phase 3 trial.

Seo said the commercial development of a COVID-19 treatment would cost at least 300 billion won ($245 million).

Celltrion will also provide a total of masks to 500,000 citizens in need in Incheon, Gyeonggi Province, and Cheongju, Chungbuk Province, the two cities where Celltrion facilities are located, Seo said.

U.S. HOUSE SPEAKER PELOSI TO DELIVER STATEMENT ON CORONAVIRUS ECONOMIC RELIEF BILL AT 2 P.M. (1800 GMT) -STATEMENT

Back
Top Bottom