OFFICIAL STOCK MARKET AND ECONOMY THREAD VOL. A NEW CHAPTER

My thought is if you categorize yourself strictly as a long term investor, as Puru is, then that means you're not really making money on investing (to pay bills and have cash). But you're growing the value of your portfolio for whenever the day comes that you'll sell...

Shouldn't be investing with money that you "need" to pay bills with. If you go down the "FIRE" (Financial Independence / Retire Early) rabbit hole, what most people are trying to accomplish is reaching a certain value that allows them pull 3-4% out per year as a "safe withdrawal rate". The people on reddit frequently cite the "Trinity Study" which states you can pull that 3-4% SWR every year, and the remaining ~96% in your portfolio will continue rising in value to where you are basically treading water, or at least not ripping through your portfolio too quickly. Many people's FIRE goal is in the $2-3m range, as 4% of $3m is still $120k a year you can pull out. Even if your $3m didn't continue rising in value and only stayed stable, you could pull out $120k a year for 25 years straight.

Thats obviously not all investors though, that is for the people that are trying to stack as much as possible, as quickly as possible into their careers - so then they can be financially free.

I’m trying to build up quality companies and replace my income with dividends (Apple/ At&T) . I have a long way to go and the other companies I want to have for my kids to sell off little by little as they see fit ( they are four and eight years old ) for income like the Amazon, Shopify and etc . Current plan is to buy enough shares of att that the dividends can pay for my yearly cell phone bill. Currently reading “Money master the game” by Tony Robbins, I like his take on index funds so I started putting money towards that.

Ok cool that makes a lot of sense. $2-3M portfolio, withdraw 4% per year goal...
Appreciate you

That's only one way. Some people like to trade, some people only buy bluechips, some people only look for stocks that are gonna 10x, some go for dividends (passive income), etc.

Just gotta figure out what you want in life, and a plan to get there. Stocks are only one avenue, you can also look into real estate investing, side hustle incomes, etc.

That's only one way. Some people like to trade, some people only buy bluechips, some people only look for stocks that are gonna 10x, some go for dividends (passive income), etc.

Just gotta figure out what you want in life, and a plan to get there. Stocks are only one avenue, you can also look into real estate investing, side hustle incomes, etc.
Yessir. I’ve been doing all that. I love real estate. Stocks is the last piece for me. I mean I’ve been funding my Roth IRA since HS and hitting close to the irs max on my 401k for years but as far as taking an active interest in the market, I started last year. Ive enjoyed it, just wish I started earlier

I don't. I use TD/Thinkorswim for my spec/"trading" account. Otherwise, we're with Morgan Stanley for long-term and retirement.

I'm also getting my *** kicked. September has been ****ty for me. I should have closed a few positions early and now I'm taking a bath.

Tos for my spec trading, Schwab for my longer term ideas. Both have long term plays in them, but Schwab is a joint with my wife so I can’t be an ******* in that one.

I’m getting rekt too right now. And I have a little over $850 free in my Schwab account. I could either buy one share of shop or sit on it to average down on square or something else. Bleh.

added a little more BigC today after stopping out of work. Bleh.

I'm thinking of getting some AAPL, finally. After super regretting it in 2008 when it was like $90/share (before it split 7x, and then the additional recent split 4x :angry:)... and then not buying a few months back when it almost dipped to $200 (which is the level I said I'd get in at :angry:).

Should I get in under $110, or does the momentum look like it'll eventually dip under $100 or even lower? Johnny I'm not familiar with the logic behind the levels you've mentioned recently ("if it hits $XX, I could see it dropping even further to $YY, support levels, etc) - but are those still looking accurate?

I'm thinking of getting some AAPL, finally. After super regretting it in 2008 when it was like $90/share (before it split 7x, and then the additional recent split 4x :angry:)... and then not buying a few months back when it almost dipped to $200 (which is the level I said I'd get in at :angry:).

Should I get in under $110, or does the momentum look like it'll eventually dip under $100 or even lower? Johnny I'm not familiar with the logic behind the levels you've mentioned recently ("if it hits $XX, I could see it dropping even further to $YY, support levels, etc) - but are those still looking accurate?

Same, I still remember the dip of the steve jobs rumour, cancer news in h2 2007. My money at that time was concentrated on buying visa post IPO in spring 08. By 09, we had had quite a few rounds of re-orgs. So I was just keeping cash at hand just in case. I didnt have much savings back then so I was scared for a bit.

Same, I still remember the dip of the steve jobs rumour, cancer news in h2 2007. My money at that time was concentrated on buying visa post IPO in spring 08. By 09, we had had quite a few rounds of re-orgs. So I was just keeping cash at hand just in case. I didnt have much savings back then so I was scared for a bit.

I was still fresh in my first job out of college, during very uncertain times when they were walking people out of my building in Dearborn. I wanted to buy AAPL at $90ish, Ford at $1.92, GE, and a few others. Got talked out of it and later told myself I'd never miss a huge correction like that again, and then I missed March this year :lol: . Also missed out on what would have become some insane real estate appreciation in Detroit, after getting talked out of it (though back then, Detroit was still pretty rough).

I also hate Apple as a product, but I'm sick of missing out on their money making machine

I finally got into Apple after this most recent split. Added more again to it today. Will continue to add it it drops.

Added more MSFT today as well.

I'm using the funds I had saved up for SNOW and FROG. Those were such a disappointment with how high they opened that I don't think I'll be getting into those any time soon.

Never a bad time to invest in blue chips. Be sure to never get emotionally attached tho, or you might ride the stock into the ground a la GE, F, and plenty of others. If Apple runs out of ideas, dont be afraid to cut your ties with the stock. Others will rise and replace eventually.

Never a bad time to invest in blue chips. Be sure to never get emotionally attached tho, or you might ride the stock into the ground a la GE, F, and plenty of others. If Apple runs out of ideas, dont be afraid to cut your ties with the stock. Others will rise and replace eventually.

This. People get too emotionally attached to companies with products they enjoy (I.e. most of NT and Nike/JB lol).

That said, I think Apple is currently a good longer term investment since they are currently targeting the low, middle, and high end of their products (I.e. iPhone & Apple Watch SE vs mainline/pro models). Add to that, they are moving towards a more service-oriented business model and away from b&m retail sales, which are all good indicators of performance going into the 2020s.That said, I think they might have issues with trying to go into other services like streaming, given AppleTV+ has been so underwhelming (even for free with iPhone purchases) but I think it will be a few more years until we see if that was a mistake or not. I know they are going to try and push bundled services (I.e. Apple Music & AppleTV+) to increase their base so it could, on the flip side, very well pay off, to this point.

I have to exit AAPL by 10/15 so that sucks....and from when I bought it for my trading account (versus my long-term, which it's also in) I'm down 15%. So hoping some of you buy it up to bring me back to net 0% before I'm forced out. :lol:

This. People get too emotionally attached to companies with products they enjoy (I.e. most of NT and Nike/JB lol).

That said, I think Apple is currently a good longer term investment since they are currently targeting the low, middle, and high end of their products (I.e. iPhone & Apple Watch SE vs mainline/pro models). Add to that, they are moving towards a more service-oriented business model and away from b&m retail sales, which are all good indicators of performance going into the 2020s.That said, I think they might have issues with trying to go into other services like streaming, given AppleTV+ has been so underwhelming (even for free with iPhone purchases) but I think it will be a few more years until we see if that was a mistake or not. I know they are going to try and push bundled services (I.e. Apple Music & AppleTV+) to increase their base so it could, on the flip side, very well pay off, to this point.
100%. Apple pivoted from being a phone company to a tech lifestyle company at the right time. They're building out their ecosystem and doing it the best imo. They'll continue to expand and grow for the foreseeable future even if Apple TV fails. And if it does fail, hopefully they buy out a competitor.

NKLA been magnetized to the 33-34 range all week. Wonder if algos are pumping at that 33 mark or what's going on. Something has to give soon, lawsuits are starting to drop now. Only catalyst not priced in is partnerships ending or Trevor fleeing the country being confirmed.

Back
Top Bottom