**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

US' answer to England's St. Georges Park...

Sporting Club announce US Soccer National Training Center development plan in Kansas City

Sporting Kansas City owners Sporting Club announced on Wednesday the development plan of a US Soccer national training center complex in Kansas City, Kan.

The announcement was made along with Kansas Governor Sam Brownback and local government and business authorities. The complex is projected to house the National Training and Coaching Development Center, an elite athlete training and performance analytics campus and national youth soccer development programs.

“Player and coaching development is a main focus for US Soccer, and we are pleased that Sporting Club is pursuing a world-class training facility to help the sport continue to grow and advance,” United States Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said in a statement.

“We are looking forward to working with Sporting Club on the next steps towards the creation of the National Training and Coaching Development Center and anticipate it hosting our national teams and coaching education programming in the future.”

The $75 million-plus soccer village will provide a world-class environment to develop players, coaches and referees of all ages. The state-of-the-art facility will include approximately 100,000 square feet for an indoor facility with a practice field, eight lighted professional smart fields and eight youth fields.

Additional amenities will include a climate-controlled indoor pavilion and specialized facilities tailored toward strength and nutrition, hydration, sports science, health and wellness, video and analytics. The complex will also feature a 125-room full-service hotel.

“This is a great opportunity for us to continue to grow soccer in Kansas City and further establish being the soccer capital of America,” Sporting Club CEO Robb Heineman said in a statement.

“To us, this is equivalent to bringing another sports franchise here, with the ultimate goal of helping the United States win the World Cup through youth soccer development, coaching training, advanced sports science and world-class facilities. We would like to thank Governor Brownback, Secretary of Commerce George, Mayor Holland and the rest of the Unified Government. This has been a long and complex process thus far, but we’re excited for the vision of the project and to help bring substantial economic development to the area."

The development is expected to have an economic impact exceeding $1 billion on the state of Kansas. The facility will house a variety of US national team training camps and bring opportunities for Sporting Park to host matches for the men’s and women’s national teams at the youth and senior levels. The complex will also feature referee and coach education sessions, and many additional US Soccer events.

US Soccer's current National Training Center is located in Carson, Calif., in the StubHub Center complex.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...r-national-training-center-development-plan-k

Last edited:
Video of Klinsmann congratulating the youth academy teams participating in the championships.

Please check out US Soccer's YouTube page for great updates on the youth teams. They also show some games too. Below are U15/U16 highlights & the whole game. If you want to be a supporter, please support these youth teams too. I'm hoping my son develops into one of these players... :smokin

The US U20 team vs Australia. Game ended on a 0-0 tie but US won on goal differential. :smokin

Last edited:
 I'm hoping my son develops into one of these players... :smokin

Same here man.

Although it doesn't sound nearly as competitive as your son's club, my son has been killing it in practice. They been doing some one on one drills emphasizing powering & speeding through the opponent while also getting the execution crisp while keeping your head up. I can't wait until the season starts...

Edit - My son played in his first scrimmage with his new side today. He played all 3 midfield positions & left back. It was fast & furious. First time he played midfield. Needs to work on keeping his positioning when playing the flanks & making sure he controls the midfield. Overall did ok. He had some nice link ups & passes. He also worked on overlapping while making sure his teammates made overlapping runs too. Proud of my little fella...

Last edited:
This kid could factor into the USMNT. Big "get" for the U20 team.

Fernando Arce, Jr., 17, Chooses U.S. Over Mexico

Even though his father has 47 caps with the Mexican national team, the Club Tijuana midfielder accepted a callup to join the U.S. U-20 squad and said "the U.S. will be my national team."

DUAL-NATIONAL PLAYERS once again played a key role for the United States at the 2014 World Cup, with significant contributions coming from the likes of Jermaine Jones, Fabian Johnson, John Brooks, Julian Green, and Aron Johannsson.

While the tendency is to group all of these players into one category, the truth is that each has his own unique American story and pathway to the national team. And these narratives transcend the United States and the world of soccer; golfer Rory McIlroy's high-profile—and controversial—decision to represent Ireland over Great Britain at the 2016 Olympics demonstrates this.

This past week another dual-national soccer player, Fernando Arce, Jr., made his U.S. U-20 national team debut, helping the Americans win the NTC Invitational in Carson, Calif. The Club Tijuana midfielder's decision to choose the United States instead of Mexico is especially intriguing.

Arce Jr., 17, played in all three games for the U.S. at the NTC and he started in the two most difficult games—against Chile and Australia. Overall he is pleased with his debut.

“It’s my first with the national team and, for me, it’s an honor to represent this team,” Arce Jr. told American Soccer Now. “The team is doing well. There are a lot of players with European experience. We’re a team on and off the field.”

Sunderland’s Lynden Gooch, a regular for the U.S. U-20 team this cycle, came away impressed by his new teammate's quality and commitment.

“I thought he did very well in the camp,” Gooch said. “He came in and made a good impression straight away and you could tell he was comfortable on the ball and showed his quality. I thought he played well in the tournament and got forward a lot from his central midfield position which helped us create a lot of opportunities. [He] worked hard defensively as well.”

Seeing Arce Jr. playing for the United States may come as a surprise given his father’s prominence in Mexican soccer. Fernando Arce, Sr., 34, currently plays for Chivas de Guadalajara in Mexico and has won Mexican titles at the club level with both Club Tijuana and Santos Laguna. To date, he has 47 caps with the Mexican national team.

Arce Jr. was born in Chula Vista, Calif., on November 27, 1996 but grew up in Mexico, moving frequently due to his father’s circuitous career path. (Arce Sr. has suited up for seven different clubs over the course of his career.)

In case you're wondering whether Arce Jr. struggled with the decision to represent the United States instead of Mexico—he didn't.

“From the start, I said that whoever called me first I would join that team forever,” Arce Jr. said. “The U.S. called me first and showed a lot of interest in me so the U.S. will be my national team."
Simple, right?

Arce Jr. also said that his father both encouraged and understood his decision.

“First of all, he congratulated me that the U.S. national team had called me because being called by a national team is a great honor,” Arce Jr. said of his father’s reaction to the U.S. call-up. “So he told me that he was very happy. He also told me it was my decision for whom to play. As I had mentioned, I always said I would join whomever called me first whether the U.S. or Mexico. In this case it was the U.S., so he told me to write my own story and pick my own path and that hopefully it would be even better than his.”

The younger Arce has always been close with his father and for the past several seasons the two were also teammates at Club Tijuana, which the elder joined in 2011. Last December in a preseason friendly between Tijuana and Club America, Arce Sr. was substituted out and his son took his place.

It was an emotional moment for the family and one that made headlines in Mexico. Now the two are on different clubs but, for Arce Jr., it was the perfect way to start his professional career.

“It meant a lot because he always has been next to me, teaching me as my mentor,” Arce Jr. said. “He always told me what to do and how to keep myself calm. It’s always very important to have your father to guide you especially in a difficult career as is the case with football. It was a very beautiful experience having to substitute for him in a friendly.

"Now that we’re apart, I do miss him.”

It is not only his father who encouraged Arce Jr. to accept the call-up; his numerous American teammates on Club Tijuana chimed in as well. In particular, Paul Arriola’s encouragement put the U.S. program in a positive light for Arce Jr., who lives in Tijuana but frequently crosses the border to visit the United States.

“Yes, there have been Herculez Gomez, Joe Corona, Gregory Garza, Edgar Castillo—all players who have played with the U.S., and they always told me to join the U.S. as it was better [because] they treat players well and the team is developing,” Arce, Jr. said. “Also, Paul has told me that the U.S. treats players well, they take care of us. So yes, Paul has told me a lot of good things about the team... and now I’m playing with him."

Lynden Gooch agreed that it was not hard for Arce to integrate into the team due to his willingness to work hard for his teammates on the field. Gooch, who himself has three passports and even once played for Ireland’s youth national teams, believes that U.S. players are especially welcoming with dual nationals and players of difference backgrounds.This is due in large part because everyone on the team shares a vision to help the team progress next year at the U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.

“I think he definitely fit in with all of us quite quickly because we made him feel welcome and part of the group," Gooch said, "but also because he played well and worked hard for the team. That's always appreciated.”

For the upcoming Liga MX season, Arce, Jr. is optimistic he can play a bigger role with Club Tijuana. Competition will be tight and he is still very young but he is encouraged after making his league debut in March in a loss to Cruz Azul.

As a technical and intelligent midfielder, he can help a team with his ability both offensively and defensively. He has a good shot from distance and is strong in the air. These are just a few of the attributes that earned him a call-up from U.S. U-20 coach Tab Ramos.

“My ultimate goal is to play with team U.S. in the U-20 World Cup,” Arce, Jr. said. “I am glad to be a part of this call up with the team and will work hard at 100 percent to get to the World Cup and play well there.”

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/fernando-arce-jr-17-chooses-u-s-over-mexico

Open letter from Bes to Sport Kansas City fans.

Dear Kansas City,

Thank you. I grew up in front of you. You drafted me out of college and brought me home. You never turned your back on me while I learned the ins and outs of the professional game. You’ve provided the most loyal fans in MLS. You’ve made Sporting Park the best stadium in the country. You supported me with the U.S. National Team like I am one of your sons. You’ve reassured me that I am right where I belong.

There were many factors in deciding to re-sign long term with Sporting, but it starts and ends with the people of Kansas City.

On game day when I look around our stadium, it’s mostly a blur of Sporting blue. But sometimes, I make eye contact with a person for a split second, and realize it’s a friend. Sometimes I see family members and neighbors. I recognize teammates I used to play with, and rivals I used to play against. I see old teachers, coaches, and classmates. I see fans that started out as strangers, but are now friends.

It gives me chills knowing I get to play in front of all these people. It’s truly an honor. After the game when I walk around the field and see so many familiar faces, all I can do is smile. Believe me, I don’t take for granted the opportunity to play for you and our city.

I grew up idolizing many Kansas City sports figures. They were my heroes. When I first learned how to play baseball, I threw right-handed, but I started batting left-handed because that’s what George Brett did on TV. To this day, I do everything right-handed, except for swinging a bat.

Just as my idols were, I am blessed to play a professional sport, not to mention in my hometown. There are many times when I feel like I should pinch myself, but the most powerful moments are when a kid comes up to me and asks for an autograph. Usually, when I finish writing my signature, their face lights up and they say, “Thank you Mr. Besler.” But sometimes they say, “One day, I want to grow up and be just like you. You’re my hero.” If only they realized I was standing in their shoes 20 years ago.

I must thank the entire staff and the ownership group of Sporting Kansas City. There are hundreds of people who contribute to our success. Without a doubt, we have the best owners in professional sports. Their commitment and loyalty throughout this process is unmatched. Everyone should be excited at their vision and what we will accomplish together over the next five years. I am forever grateful that this organization is giving me the opportunity to play the prime of my career in my hometown.

Now it’s time to get back to work. I have remarkable teammates and we have a chance to do something special. More than ever, we are motivated to win championships.

Thank you, Kansas City.

#SKC4LIFE

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mls/sporting-kc/article776898.html

did he have a chance to play overseas? selfishly, i'd hate if he gave up a chance to play in europe

Although it doesn't sound nearly as competitive as your son's club, my son has been killing it in practice. They been doing some one on one drills emphasizing powering & speeding through the opponent while also getting the execution crisp while keeping your head up. I can't wait until the season starts...

Edit - My son played in his first scrimmage with his new side today. He played all 3 midfield positions & left back. It was fast & furious. First time he played midfield. Needs to work on keeping his positioning when playing the flanks & making sure he controls the midfield. Overall did ok. He had some nice link ups & passes. He also worked on overlapping while making sure his teammates made overlapping runs too. Proud of my little fella...
That's good to hear man, when does the season start?

My boys team is getting ready for a couple of tournaments coming up then fall season and state cup start in September.  There record since last August is 39-8-3
eek.gif
 that's including leagues, state cup, and tournaments.  Going to be interesting how they do as a U10 team now that every team in norcal knows them.

^ Season starts Saturday Sept 6 & Sunday Sept 7th. My son's team plays in a Saturday/Sunday league. The first tournament is Saturday Aug 23rd & Sunday Aug 24th in Gettysburg, PA.

We then have a tournament in Hanover, PA Columbus Day weekend & another tournament either the week before or week after Thanksgiving.

Should be a fun season.

I love the way the team pressed & attacked yesterday. They were constantly harassing the opposing team & contesting everything. They weren't keeping score but we ended up winning 11-1... :smokin

Keep the updates coming. NT truly cares, whether you know it or not.

Question, anyone know a website where I can learn the basics of the game?

My little cousin and new phew want to play and I want to have a basic understanding of the game.

( positions / formations / etc )

If you want something for them to read, this might do... Something very basic for the kids.

http://www.wikihow.com/Play-Soccer

Are you trying to teach them basic skills? If so, post back because there are some vids I followed for my sons dribbling & first touch...

Good looking out champcruthik champcruthik . I appreciate the feedback!

Last edited:
Kinda like the idea of Shawn Parker & Gedion Zelalem wearing the US kit... :smokin

Add a little Mix... :wink:

Last edited:
A little further down the pipe, we got Shawn Parker's little brother, Devante too 
nthat.gif

Rubin, Hyndman, Stanko, Cropper, Gooch 
nthat.gif

it'll be a fun and exciting ride seeing these young guns develop and move up the ranks at their clubs

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Sources-U-S-Soccer-will-face-Colombia-at-5657038.php

Sources: U.S. men's soccer will face Colombia at Alamodome in September
BY KOLTEN PARKER : JULY 30, 2014 : Updated: July 30, 2014 2:02pm

SAN ANTONIO – The United States men's national soccer team is scheduled to play Colombia at the Alamodome on Sept. 9, two sources familiar with the situation told the Express-News on Wednesday.

The international friendly will be the first match the United States plays at home since the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the second match for each country since the tournament.

The sources spoke on the condition on anonymity and a representative for the Alamodome declined to comment on the event. The U.S. Soccer Federation did not immediately return a request for comment, but one source said the organization would announce the match on Thursday.

Both teams advanced past the group stages in the World Cup earlier this month. The United States, ranked 15th in the FIFA world rankings, was eliminated by Belgium in the Round of 16 and Colombia, which is ranked fourth, was eliminated by Brazil in a quarterfinal match.

In January, more than 54,000 fans, a San Antonio soccer-record crowd, packed the Alamodome for an international friendly in which Mexico beat the Korea Republic 4-0. The U.S. women's national team drew nearly 20,000 to the Alamodome for its 4-0 victory over Australia last October.

Major League Soccer officials cited both crowds as positives as the league considers the Scorpions, who currently compete in the North American Soccer League, for a potential expansion berth.

The Unites States will also play against the Czech Republic in Prague on Sept. 3 and Colombia will take on Brazil in Miami two days later.

The Sept. 9 match in San Antonio will be held on a FIFA international match calendar date, which means both teams will be able to call up their best player for the game. The event could bring Colombian sensation James Rodriguez, who recently signed for Spanish giant Real Madrid, and Nacogdoches-born Clint Dempsey, who was the captain for the United States during the World Cup, to the Alamo City.

The United States also has a game confirmed for Oct. 14 against Ecuador with a venue to be announced and for Nov. 11 against Ireland in Dublin.

Colombia has a game Oct. 10 against Ecuador on U.S. soil.

Both teams will use the match as preparation for next year's competitions. The U.S. will try to defend its title at the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup and secure a berth to the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup in Russia, while Colombia gears up for the 2015 Copa America in Chile.

Is it a longshot to say Klinsman is the best coach the USMNT has ever had?
No at all but you have to consider the history and pedigree of the USMNT program. Bradley and Arena would certainly round out the top 3 imo.

Colombia and the Czech's in September should be great tests. 
pimp.gif

Is it a longshot to say Klinsman is the best coach the USMNT has ever had?

I've heard a few people say no, that Arena was better since we made it farther in 2002. But results aside, I personally believe Klinsmann is our best coach due to the vision he has for making our team good for years to come. He doesn't seem like the typical manager that wants to keep relying on luck and upsets to win games, which seems to have been the mentality of our team for all these years

In 2013, Klinsmann oversaw the most successful year that US soccer has ever had. We won the CONCACAF Gold Cup in convincing fashion in addition to confining wins during qualification periods. Let's not forget some great wins over Mexico under Klinsmann either. Those wins were some of the best natural highs I've ever experienced. Pure elation, joy, jubilation to say the least. I've never experienced that watching teams under Arena or Bradley.

Klinsmann also got out of group stages of this year's WC in what was immediately called the group of death with a group of largely inexperienced players (WC wise).

I won't spew about Arena because I'm extremely biased about him (I think he's highly overrated). One thing to consider when thinking about the 2002 US team, that group had a lot of players playing in European teams whereas this team doesn't have as many playing overseas.

Back
Top Bottom