**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

this put a smile on my face
smile.gif
The U-20 MNT welcomed a special guest this morning. Nice to have @landondonovan with us in NZ. #1N1T #U20WC  
— U.S. Soccer YNT (@ussoccer_ynt) May 27, 2015

U23 team gearing up for Toulon to face France & the Netherlands.

I was looking for some new footage for the men's team but nothing yet. It will be interesting to see what kind of roster Klinsmann picks.

U23 fell to France yesterday 3-1. 

from what I read, we got our shoulders clapped. Jordan Morris scored.
[h1]  [/h1]
[h1]United States 1, France 3 | Toulon Tournament Match Recap[/h1]
In a rather underwhelming performance, the US Under-23 national team lost 3-1 to a French national team mostly made up of Under-20 players in their opening game of the 2015 Toulon Tournament.

The US came out with little energy to start the game and were punished for it. In the 10th minute Will Packwood, who recently trained with the New England Revolution, misplayed the ball inside his own box after a surge from France and fumbled it to Fares Bahlouli. The French attacker calmly tucked the ball inside the far post from outside the box to put France up 1-0.

Off the ensuing kickoff, former Chicago Fire midfielder Benji Joya saw his pass go straight to Thomas Lemar, who streaked down the right side of the US defense and unleashed a stinging shot at Cody Cropper. The former Southampton goalkeeper was able to make the save but Enzo Crivelli was in the right postion to finish off the rebound for France’s second.
Just ten minutes later Romain Habran served a free kick to the near post that was flicked past Cropper by Stephane Sparagna to stretch the French lead to three goals.

The USA's opportunities to score were few and far between in the first half, though they did earn some free kicks in promising positions. However, set-piece takers Marc Pelosi and Julian Green were unable to generate quality chances with their service.

Andi Herzog's team did come out in the second half with a little more urgency and were rewarded for it.

In the 65th minute, the US tallied their lone goal thanks to a mistake from Sparagna. The French center back stepped to intercept a Marc Pelosi pass but was not able to get to the ball, allowing Jordan Morris a free lane towards the goal. The Stanford forward sped down the field and slotted it past the onrushing French goalkeeper to get the USMNT's only goal.
The US U-23s were missing several players from their victory against Mexico last month, including Real Salt Lake midfielder Luis Gil, FC Dallas center back Walker Zimmerman, and Borussia Monchengladbach forward Mario Rodriguez, among others. On the other side, France could have fielded a team that included the 2014 World Cup's Best Young Player in Paul Pogba and AS Monaco's star midfielder Geoffrey Kondogbia.

Two MLS players started for the US as Real Salt Lake defender Boyd Okwuonu  slotted in at right back while Colorado Rapids defender Shane O'Neill  was placed at his usual center back position. Colorado Rapids midfielder/defender Dillon Serna  subbed on at left back in the second half.

The US team's next game in the five-team group will come against the Netherlands on May 29, followed by Costa Rica (May 31) and Qatar (June 2). The top team in the group will advance to the final and the second-placed team will play in the third-place game, with both of those matches set for June 7.

Starting Lineups

US Under-23: Cody Cropper; Boyd Okwuonu, Will Packwood, Shane O'Neill, Juan Pablo Oceguada; Dan Metzger, Benji Joya, Marc Pelosi; Jerome Kiessewetter, Jordan Morris, Julian Green

France:  Thomas Didillon, Damien Dussaaut, Presnel Kimpembe, Stephane Sparanga, Yann Bodiger, Enzo Crivelli, Thomas Lemar, Baptiste Santamaria, Raphael Diarra, Fares Bahlouli, Romain Habran

Last edited:
Cropper is OK but doesn't impress me much Sean Johnson and Bill Hamid were way ahead at the same age.

Watched the U23's. Green was the only player worth a damn, including Morris up until his goal. Morris is gonna be a player though.

To be fair it is a U23 C team.

I'm struggling with the time difference for this U20 World Cup man. Australia is like 16 hours ahead. :lol:

Last edited:
Cropper just let in a howler a minute ago. Not doing himself any favors in trying to find a new club.

nice result, could have played a tidier game but whatever

Emerson Hyndman 
nthat.gif

why did Maki Tall get subbed? Good to see him show signs of life up till that point 
nthat.gif

Liked what I saw from Zelalem, Rubio too

Last edited:

Glad to see Daniel Williams byke...

Johannsson and Agudelo get an extended look with Jozy out, I like it

I don't understand Bobby Wood tbh

Can we let go of Brad Evans pls? I think everyone appreciates what he did during WCQ, but the dude is done

Alvarado, Brooks, I like it. I secretly want to see Orozco continue to show out in the red white and blue :nerd:

Last edited:
Wood was nothing short of excellent every time he was healthy and on the field for Aue in the 2Bund this spring. 

Big, fast, strong, fairly technical, makes the right runs. He just needs to finish consistently.  It's easy to forget he's only 22, seems like he's spent an entire career struggling with a few serious injuries. 

Completely vexed by Benny's exclusion. He's one of the best midfielders in MLS this season. He SHOULD be with the National Team. SMMFH.

What's wrong with NZL goalie?

Is that acne or an allergic reaction?!

holly smokes it looks terrible :x

lmao thought it was USA cus NZL is playing all white lolz

Last edited:
EMERSON HYNDMAN CALL HIM THE GARBAGE MAN!!! 

thats how you follow the play!

what a run by Rubin!

Last edited:
NZL's goalie fast twitch muscle fiber just wasn't fast enough to go after the ball lolz

I'm predicting a 3-1 for USA

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom