OFFICIAL ZOOM AIR APPRECIATION POST!

If you love Zoom Air (I sure as hell do) then this post is for you!

Dating back to 1994 and originally known as "Tensile Air", Zoom has been the benchmark standard for cushioning since its inception. This post will focus on all the variations and implementations of Zoom.

Technically speaking.... It consists of thousands of vertical fibres sandwiched between 2 horizonal fabric layers that is sealed inside a polyuethane film. Pressurized gas (believed to be nitrogen) surrounds these fibres creating a flat, thin, low-profile air bag that provides a closer to the ground feel than the conventional Nike Air system. The gas surrounding the fibres creates a force within the bag in a way to put tension on the fibres without the bag popping or expanding. Upon impact, the bag compresses and relieves tension on the fibres, which then causes the gas in the bag to expand and returns the tension into the fibres causing them to spring back immediately after impact. This method of impact cushioning is designed for high speeds and quick foot transitions required for more faster players and guards without weight being a problem.

Which is true.

Enough talk. On to the pics!

PS - If you know of other shapes/sizes/implementations... feel free to contribute. I'll add it the OP.

Heel / Forefoot - featured in the Jordan 13, 15, 2k9, Flightposite series, and  various Nike Basketball shoes

Forefoot Zoom (the most common unit) Zoom Flight 95, Go LWP, Jordan 13, 14 retro, 15, 16, 17, LeBron 8 PS, 9 Elite, Various Hyperdunks and other shoes.

Articulated / Unlocked Zoom - Jordan 28

Artiuculated Zoom - featured in the Nike Air Pippen 3

Articulated Zoom - featured in the Jordan 2012 and various Cole Haan dress shoes

Articulated Zoom - Original Jordan 14

Full Length Zoom - featured in the Nike Foamposite, Ultraflight, Zoom 96, Zoom Flight 2k3, Zoom Turf, , Zoom BB, Jordan 12, 19, 2010, LeBron 4, 5, 6, 11, Kobe 7 elite

Articulated Zoom - Jordan Superfly 2, Jordan 28, Lebron 2/3

Zoom Max 360 - Lebron 10, Hyperflight Max, Hyperposite 2014

Methead Zoom - featured in the Kobe 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 2k4, 2k5

Rectangle Zoom - Featured in the Zoom Rookie, KD 5 and 6

Max Heel Zoom - Lebron 2, 3, Jordan 28

Not sure what shoes these are in?

Last edited:
Love me some Zoom Air.

Could add double stacked zoom (AJ XVIII/XIX, LeBron IV)

I also think the Zoom BB was the best ever application of Zoom Air.

What type of Zoom bag did the Kobe 2's have? I felt like that was the only shoe out of the KB line where you can really feel the zoom. I loved it.

Why would nike go from the full heel and forefoot zoom in some of the earlier Kobe's and basketball shoes to more recently the methead design if the prices have been the same or increased?

Does it really cost that much more or does nike feel that it's more beneficial to decrease the weight and sacrifice the benefits and durability of zoom over say Lunarlon (IMO I like it, sometimes feels a bit too mushy, but it also bottoms out quite quickly IMO).

Some of the most impressive Zoom systems are in the Jordan Melo M8 and M9. Max volume forefoot with AirMax heel in M8, and Max volume heel and forefoot in M9.

If you're as big a fan of zoom as I am, you've gotta try them.

Some of the most impressive Zoom systems are in the Jordan Melo M8 and M9. Max volume forefoot with AirMax heel in M8, and Max volume heel and forefoot in M9.

If you're as big a fan of zoom as I am, you've gotta try them.
Melo M8 are my ABSOLUTE favorite kicks to play in! Sick traction too!

Why would nike go from the full heel and forefoot zoom in some of the earlier Kobe's and basketball shoes to more recently the methead design if the prices have been the same or increased?

Does it really cost that much more or does nike feel that it's more beneficial to decrease the weight and sacrifice the benefits and durability of zoom over say Lunarlon (IMO I like it, sometimes feels a bit too mushy, but it also bottoms out quite quickly IMO).
From what I'm told - Nike purchases the Zoom units from a separate vendor. They developed Lunar as their own proprietary foam based cushioning, for in all honesty - cost savings. (Which is why you can buy authentic zoom units from eBay).

So to answer the second part  - yes...zoom does cost more than lunar

Zoom itself, in its purest form, is stiff. Kobe asked for the methead design as a way of reducing the stiffness.

I wish Nike would develop more sizes / shapes of zoom

Great thread. These kind of tech discussions really get me interested. Awesome op, great pics and all. I'll definitely be checking this thread often!

Who remembers some of the alpha project shoes with vis zoom? Citizen, seismic, vis zoom uptempo, pippen v.

On a more recent note, I'd love to see max zoom (lebron x) implemented more.

Last edited:
Does anybody know the difference between the Zoom Max in the Lebron X and just a regular full-length Zoom? Thanks.

From what I'm told - Nike purchases the Zoom units from a separate vendor. They developed Lunar as their own proprietary foam based cushioning, for in all honesty - cost savings. (Which is why you can buy authentic zoom units from eBay).

So to answer the second part  - yes...zoom does cost more than lunar

Zoom itself, in its purest form, is stiff. Kobe asked for the methead design as a way of reducing the stiffness.

I wish Nike would develop more sizes / shapes of zoom

Thanks, love reading about the technological aspects of Nike's products. Some questions I have, what are your thought on Lunar Cushioning and why can't the incorporate some sort of hybrid zoom/lunar set up?

Thanks, love reading about the technological aspects of Nike's products. Some questions I have, what are your thought on Lunar Cushioning and why can't the incorporate some sort of hybrid zoom/lunar set up?

To me, lunar is just not zoom at all. It's foam.

A hybrid lunar zoom? Lebron 11

To me, lunar is just not zoom at all. It's foam.

A hybrid lunar zoom? Lebron 11

Yeah, I know lunarlon is not zoom or "air" technology at all but was just getting your thoughts on the foam as far as how you rate it in comparison to zoom.

In regards to the 11's I knew it was lunar with full length zoom, but do you feel it's kind of redundant since the softness of the lunar doesn't really give you the quick bounce back feel and the full responsiveness to Zoom?

Yeah, I know lunarlon is not zoom or "air" technology at all but was just getting your thoughts on the foam as far as how you rate it in comparison to zoom.

In regards to the 11's I knew it was lunar with full length zoom, but do you feel it's kind of redundant since the softness of the lunar doesn't really give you the quick bounce back feel and the full responsiveness to Zoom?
 I do kind of feel that way. It almost takes away the responsiveness. Keep mind, you and I are not 6-8 250lbs+ :smile:

I think they used too much lunar on the XI insole. Id like to see a thinner implementation. In a fixed midsole

Great thread yall.

Any thoughts on how and why Zoom seems to breakdown?

lot of complaints on how quick the kobe IVs wnet flat

Great thread yall.

The complaints in the KB4 came from the lunar in the forefoot bottoming out. Not the zoom in the heel. Same issue with the original Hyperdunk

Great thread yall.

The complaints in the KB4 came from the lunar in the forefoot bottoming out. Not the zoom in the heel. Same issue with the original Hyperdunk

that was true. (my bad)

i ruined my knee a lil prior to being able to fully utilize this techslike i would have wanted to.... what about the Jordan 17?

i remember goin to a dr. for blood blisters on the balls of my foot cause of those things. I know it had something to do with the fit of the shoe (an my foot sliding around) but i wonder if it could also have been attributed to the zoom breaking down?

+just talkin out loud lol+

Just wore my M10's for 15 hours today on my feet the whole day.

The forefoot zoom is incredible! Gigantic, super responsive. I guess the flight plate is no gimmick.

The heel zoom is firmer than the one in the M9. Maybe the heel in the M9 was too mushy for Melo? That zoom in the foam carrier was super soft. I loved it.

The M10 heel will be more stable with the added firmness tho, so I guess that's good.

Correct... The Hyperposite is 360 Air.

The Hyperflight is 360 Zoom

AFAIK, the only 2 sneakers to use 360 zoom so far are the LBJ 10 and the Hyperflight.

The OP should change it unless they are using it in the second version that's supposed to release..

Back
Top Bottom