Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

As posted in the Star Wars thread, I'm happy with the cast.. other than Driver there's no names that stand out and make you think "really? them?" and that's just because he's coming from Girls but he's a solid actor and I could see him being a great villain.

Issac is great, Max von Sydow will be awesome, Gleeson is cool, not mad at the cast at all. Better to go with more unknowns or less popular actors.

In other news.. Emma Stone with a reminder of how awesome she is.

does jimmy fallon ever actually interview anyone or do they all just come on and play some sort of game.  is everything a skit?

I really want to watch this doc. I love Elaine Stritch

Last edited:
RIP, Mr. Hoskins. I'll always remember him for Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Iconic movie.

noooo not smee
frown.gif
rip hoskins

John Boyega is the lead in Episode VII.

What makes me scratch my head is the direction of the film.

I am ALL FOR John Boyega being the lead of the film, but where does he come from? Is he a Padawan of Luke's?

I expected the lead of Episode VII to be the son/daughter of Luke or Leia/Han. Didn't see this coming.

All for it though. :pimp:

Loved Boyega in Attack the Block.
Lando Jr. :nerd: :pimp:
In other news.. Emma Stone with a reminder of how awesome she is.

I used to love Emma Stone but she's lost too much weight. Now she looks like every other too skinny actress with an over-sized head (not as in ego but actual cranium size). The scary thing is when you appear on tv/film the "camera adds weight" so to speak so she & these other actresses are even skinnier than they appear. :rolleyes
Yeah I watched it when it aired and for the interview portion seeing her talk and move it was kinda nasty seeing how much weight she lost. She slid off my smash list.

Are you not satisfied with the cast announcement?

With what they did with the EU, it doesn't really matter to me right now.

Had they left the EU alone, I would be absolutely stoked with the possibilities of this cast. Now? Meh.
In one sense they totally did leave the EU alone.

Last edited:
season 2 of the best show no one is watching premieres June 19th.  :pimp:
I don't have this channel but see commercials for it's shows. I dunno though, I don't think I've ever started watching a show only due to catching it on the internet. Probably my last line to cross from ditching a tv.

I'm hoping this is just a weak trailer because the cast & premise of this movie is great.

The Salvation starring Mads Mikkelsen, Eva Green, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Jonathan Pryce, Mikael Persbrandt, & ex Manchester United great Eric Cantona!!!

This was directed by Kristian Levring who produced Mads in the Danish film The Hunt, which is a great flick.

Yo so I just watched the first season of The Wire. What the ****? Like really what the **** is this? I am appalled. They should've called this show The Snitches. Dudes out here snitching like it's in style and they aint even introduce a real dirty cop yet so all the snitching is on these weak *** criminals and associates. I aint never seen snitching like this before.

**** this ***** Omar and his code. How you snitch on the same ****** you robbing and killing.... while whistling? You aint even out here robbing dudes to start your own empire despite being smart enough for it but you ready to talk to cops if it works out for you. **** this ***** Wallace with his estrogen pumping junkie ***** *** and definitely **** that ***** D'Angelo. Son out here looking like Harvey Kietel in Resevoir Dogs. Ol Mr. White "Nah he'd never snitch, he was trying to go back to school." dumb *** looking *****. **** outta here with that bull ****. Plus the dumb **** couldn't wise up to the stripper. **** her and Orlando too. Ol greedy *** can't play your position type of *****.

I mean for real, snitching on family? :stoneface: :x Son just out here telling, telling, telling. Disgusting.

Were there NT threads for The Wire back then cuz I don't know how some of yal could stomach this **** and to be clear I'm not on that stop snitching any talking to the cops means you a snitch like most ignorant ppl. There's at least code there where the dudes you doing dirt with you don't turn on. It's why I aint got no hate for Bubbles. Son was just a junkie with no power of his own trying to get revenge after what happened to his friend. Understandable. This dude D though :smh: I mean ya own moms is a vet to the game and you out here having a quarter life crisis. For them there's loyalty and his pure hypocrisy, you mad Wallace dead thinking he wasn't a snitch so your plan is to snitch :x :smh: :stoneface:

Okay now that I got that out of the way, this show is great :pimp: Really grounded. So in that tight organized way the acting all around was stellar. They really got a good cast, couldn't pinpoint a weak link for the most part. No high highs and low lows with crazy action or super emotional ****, just things that could go down for the most part without suspending your disbelief too much.

This dude McNaulty :rofl: :smokin

It was nice to finally see the scene for the Weebay gif :lol: Son and his fish tanks :rofl:

The various perspectives of this were cool too. The way D looks at things and the whole game, trying to do better but really wanting out, almost the same for Wallace since he was really showing potential but felt stuck. Then just the way Stringer is dead serious and methodical approaching this like it's a professional business. Then you go to Jimmy and how everybody else is straight up saying he's doing this **** for himself and he is and then the state's attorney looking at this as just a case to propel her career. It goes on and on.

Last edited:
The first time I saw the source of the weebay gift, I myself did the weebay gif.

Season 2 is not everybody's favorite, but stick it out. You won't be disappointed with the series overall and 2 is an important part of the storyline

Watching the scene where Bunk and Kima throw their hands in the air and walk off in the office made me do the Weebay.

Last edited:
I watched Blue Ruin yesterday....pretty highly acclaimed film from 2013.

I wasn't impressed with the film, but the lead, Macon Blair was really good,

The first time I saw the source of the weebay gift, I myself did the weebay gif.

Season 2 is not everybody's favorite, but stick it out. You won't be disappointed with the series overall and 2 is an important part of the storyline

I binge watched Season 1, got through two episodes of Season 2 and just stopped. Maybe I should revisit it.

Amazing Spiderman 2 Review

Let’s be clear, this is the best Spiderman movie of the 5 we’ve seen so far. Visually this movie DECIMATES any other Spidey. Absolutely beautiful shots. Unreal imagery, vibrant, color, just shockingly great.
The story itself, not as strong as some of the Raimi work, but certainly in line, and maybe with a newer approach. I LOVED the approach towards Peter’s parents. (something Raimi never looked at) The scene’s with Dennis Leary staring at him, and the scene with aunt May were just ROUGH. Loved the emotion behind both of those things. This wasn’t that bull **** Mary Jane “it’s about me” spiel, he and Gwen genuinely love each other, but he made a promise to her dying father and whenever he’s at his happiest with her, her father stares down at him. Awesome. Loved it.

As for May hurting over her “son” looking for his not around father, that’s my feels right there man. That stuff was understated, but strong. They didn’t flaunt it, or hit me over the head with it, it was just there, and REAL. (great work by Field in that scene)

The first 5 minutes did make me nervous. I felt we were on a trip to hokey town. Too many jokes, flashy action, I was like, uhhhhhhh, and then they showed Leary, and you could feel the tone change. And the real movie began. From then on, it all settled in. The jokes were Parker, the quippy Spider, the punk kid makin jokes in between death defying moments. After those 5 minutes, they toned down the humor and stayed more in line with any other comic movie.

Foxx was solid as the villain, but in the same Winter Soldier mode where he didn’t crush it with dialogue, he was a visual threat, moreso than a sadistic one. I was fine with that, visually he was impressive as hell. He didn’t have the deepest storyline, but the story isn’t about him, or Goblin, etc, it’s about Peter, and by extension, Gwen. They are the story, and the villians just wander in disrupting them.

Harry was great. Really liked that kid. The scene between he and Peter, and their awkward hug and what not, that was better than any of the Peter-Harry interactions in Raimi’s films. Even without seeing each other in a decade, you could tell they had a boyish friendship, even tho now they were bigger players in a big world. He may not have gotten a lot of time as the actual Goblin he showed enough to know he’s going to be a pain in the *** in the future.

Gwen’s death………man. They caught me off guard on that. I did NOT see that coming. I knew her day would come, but I did not know it would come this film. I was shook when that scene happened. Truly. That was sort of a jaw dropped, man, they really did murk her scene. I knew in a heartbeat Fury didn’t die in Cap 2. I knew for a damn fact that was bogus and set up. But this, when I saw her back crack, I knew they had done it. :frown: Powerful scene, and true heartbreak for Peter/Spiderman.

Everyone was worried about Electro/Goblin/and Rhino not havin enough time, but it worked out perfect. They weren’t the story. Only parts. Peter and Gwen were what we were lookin at. I was completely fine with the space between villians and the room for Peter to search for info on his parents, his relationship with Gwen, his relationship with Harry, and then the May scene, that’s character development for the character we’re all there to see, Spiderman. HE is the one that they developed, not the bad guys who we all know gonna lose in the end anyways. They are there to show a true, real, viable threat, but ultimately fall down when the hero makes a move. I love a great villain as much as any, but they don’t HAVE to be the center of the movie to make a movie quality.

The little kid in the costume was pretty great. Of course the kid was never gonna get hurt, but he showed what Spidey was there for. As he said, he gives people hope. And with his world blown to pieces losing his girl, he watched her speech (which was great) and knew he needed to get back. And then the little boy steps out, a kid he had protected earlier. I loved that connection in the story. Obviously a little hokey, and I’m more than positive people will roll their eyes, but damn all that, that scene was perfect for this movie.

The true plot isn’t anything above Iron Man, or any of the Dark Knight, or even Man of Steel, but it’s a solid, quality Comic book film, with amazing imagery, brilliant camera tricks, and a helluva a lot of glare in the Star Trek, JJ Abrams universe of film making. :lol: :lol: :lol: Holy **** did they use that trick a few times. Next movie might be filmed in front of a window for a whole 2 hours. :lol:

This is the best Spidey I have seen. I have watched all 5 now in the past 4-5 weeks, and this is the best, easy. It trumps anything Raimi did, even if Raimi had a little more plot to his and maybe some stronger side characters, Peter, Harry, Gwen, and the haunting images of Gwen’s dad and Electro more than make up for the lack of uber smart plot you might demand. I’ll take this movie over Tobey dancing, or Mary Jane whining, or any of the other hokey stuff Raimi included in all his films.

Very solid 8-8.5/10 for me. But I am positive this will have the Man of Steel backlash from fans who expected more, or thought Joker should appear in every scene, or wanted Shakespeare dialogue, etc etc etc. They can complain all they want, this film was really, really good. And I def look forward to Spidey 3 and where they go next.

Caught Death Becomes Her Bruce Willis x Meryl Streep x Goldie Hawn. I enjoied it. Classic 90's dark comedy. a little over the top, but clever and a nice social commentary on beauty, life and death. Check it out if you gets a chance.

10 films to see in May

Despite the release of a certain Marvel blockbuster last month, the summer season is finally here…and it’s not starting out on a strong foot. While  The Amazing Spider-Man 2  will probably help Sony executives afford a few new summer homes, it’s another disappointment for the rebooted franchise, as one can read in our full review.

Thankfully, there’s still a great deal to look forward to on both the independent and studio side, with one of our most-anticipated blockbusters of the season stomping into theaters, as well as a handful of the best limited releases  making their way to screens. So, check out the Jesse Eisenberg-filled rundown below and let us know what you’re most looking forward to.

Matinees to See:  Belle  (5/2), Whitewash  (5/5), Neighbors  (5/9),  Million Dollar Arm  (5/16),Tracks  (5/23), Cold in July  (5/23), A Million Ways to Die in the West  (5/30), Korengal  (5/30),Filth  (5/30)

10. X-Men: Days of Future Past  (Bryan Singer; May 23rd)

X_Men__Days_of_Future_Past-e1398901802754-620x258.jpg

Synopsis: The X-Men send Wolverine to the past in a desperate effort to change history and prevent an event that results in doom for both humans and mutants.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: If one complains of the over-abundance of characters in this year’s Spidey, then the argument should stand for X-Men: Days of Future Past, which melds both the old and new cast amongst big-budget, time-travel mania. However, X-Men  and  X2  director Bryan Singer  is more of a trusted name when it comes to this franchise, hopefully being able to balance the many performances for an engaging, worthwhile return to the land of mutants.

9. Chef  (Jon Favreau; May 9th)

chef_6-e1398901756303-620x282.png

Synopsis: A chef who loses his restaurant job starts up a food truck in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: A much-needed return to his smaller roots, Chef marks one of  Jon Favreau‘s best accomplishments, according to our SXSW review. We said, “Even the fact that he has some familiar faces from the Iron Man  franchise throughout the film pays homage, in some ways, to what is likely a past life for the director. Favreau lets his character not only have flaws, but also allows him to grow without actually fixing those flaws. They’re still there and yet he knows that in the idealized world of Chef, he can manage them enough to move forward.”

8. Palo Alto  (Gia Coppola; May 9th)

palo_alto_11-620x327.jpg

Synopsis: A dark drama centered on a group of teens with a penchant for finding trouble.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: While some might brush this off as one of countless projects James Franco  is yet again involved with this year, Palo Alto  actually proves to be one of his most well-realized collaborations. Based on a series of short stories from Franco, the multiple, but intersecting storylines explore suburban life as a teenager in California. Marking Gia Coppola‘s directorial debut, a few nods are certainly taken from her aunt’s work, but the film establishes her as an authentic, independent voice that we’re looking forward to seeing more from.

7. The Dance of Reality  (Alejandro Jodorowsky; May 23rd)

dance_reality_1-e1388844158291-620x288.png

Synopsis: A partially autobiographical film about Jodorowsky’s childhood in Chile.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Returning after nearly a quarter-of-a-century, surrealist master filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky debuted his latest film at Cannes last fall. We were fans in our review, saying, “he has returned with what may be his most personal and straight forward film to date. But fret not devoted fans of Jodorowsky,  La Danza de la Realidad  (The Dance of Reality) still features his signature avant-garde imagery which pushes the limits of what to expect from the unpredictable.”

6. We Are the Best!  (Lukas Moodysson; May 30th)

we_are_the_best_-_h_2013-e1398628367640-620x298.png

Synopsis: Three girls in 1980s Stockholm decide to form a punk band — despite not having any instruments and being told by everyone that punk is dead.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: While we have yet to screen this Swedish drama, the buzz from its extensive festival run is enough to warrant our high anticipation. The punk-rock period piece from Lukas Moodysson  has  been  called  “a delightful snapshot of female friendship” and will finally land this month. While the release is only in theaters, courtesy of Magnolia Pictures, hopefully a VOD bow will occur soon after.

5. Godzilla  (Gareth Edwards; May 16th)

godzilla_1-620x258.jpg

Synopsis: The world’s most famous monster is pitted against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity’s scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: If one is looking for large-scale spectacle this summer, it seems there is no better option than  Gareth Edwards‘ reboot of the classic movie monster. More intriguingly, however, is the hopeful addition of a humanistic element (missing from WB’s other recent kaiju feature, Pacific Rim), a leading factor in Edwards’ debut Monsters, as well as the addition of a top-notch cast, including Bryan Cranston, Juliette Binoche, Ken Watanabe, Sally Hawkins, and  Elizabeth Olsen.

4. Ida  (Pawel Pawlikowski; May 2nd)

ida-e1398275663181-620x323.jpg

Synopsis: Anna, a young novitiate nun in 1960s Poland, is on the verge of taking her vows when she discovers a dark family secret dating back to the years of the Nazi occupation.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  It seems as though Hollywood has a yearly quota for World War II dramas, ones that often present the heroic military efforts of the Allies, or others that zero in a feel-good aspect, perhaps following a protagonist who survives by any means necessary. Rarely do we see a film tackle the aftermath of the unspeakable horrors from distinctly different points of view, but Pawel Pawlikowski  does so with restrained artistry in his Polish drama  Ida. Check out my full review  from Sundance for more on the first must-see of the summer season.

3. Night Moves  (Kelly Reichardt; May 30th)

night_moves_2-e1398627883171-620x280.jpg

Synopsis: A drama centered on three environmentalists who plot to blow up a dam.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: If one is attuned to the rhythms of Kelly Reichardt, then they might be slightly thrown off-guard by her latest feature, Night Moves. While still clearly taking her labored approach, the film is a bit more plot-driven than her previous works, with the seminal  Rififi  being a major influence. Effectively showcasing the main event, Night Moves  delves deeper into the aftermath, making for an affecting, thoroughly gripping portrait of paranoia.

2. The Immigrant  (James Gray; May 16th)

the_immigrant.jpg

Synopsis: On the mean streets of Manhattan, Ewa falls prey to Bruno, a charming but wicked man who takes her in and forces her into prostitution.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Nearly a year after its Cannes premiere, The Immigrant  is finally coming to American shores this month in an all-too-small release, courtesy of The Weinstein Company. I had the chance to check James Gray‘s drama out last fall at New York Film Festival and the 1921-set tale of an American dream gone awry has only grown in my estimation since then. Once again showing how to perfect a melodrama, the love triangle between Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix, and  Jeremy Renner  is helped by immaculate production design and stunning cinematography by Darius Khondji.  One can read our full review  from Cannes for more.

1. The Double  (Richard Ayoade; May 9th)

the_double.jpg

Synopsis: A clerk in a government agency finds his unenviable life takes a turn for the horrific with the arrival of a new co-worker who is both his exact physical double and his opposite – confident, charismatic and seductive with women.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Although it wasn’t widely seen, Richard Ayoade‘s Submarine  was a knock-out debut, full of life and the sort of wit only he could provide. He’s now returned with his follow-up, an adaptation of Fyodor Dostoyevsky‘s novella, and it’s one of the year’s best films. We said in our review  out of TIFF that ”his sophomore effort takes more than a few steps towards an even more arid realm of complete existentialist surrealism.” Featuring  Jesse Eisenberg‘s best performance(s) and some of the most intricate sound design you’ll hear all summer, The Doubleis not to be missed, either in theaters or on its simultaneous VOD release.

Going to have to check out The Double and Night Moves

Last edited:
ASM2 isn't better than SM2.

For years this is one thing I've heard about the show. I already know I'm the type to disagree. So I have no plans to jump ship now given the series is only 5 seasons. I just started it actually. I mean it's not like this season is about to throw everything out the window and switch up hard on the tone, from a watching a bit of ep1 just seems they're covering a different part of Baltimore and I can handle the new characters and different angles and hustles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom