Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Top Gun: Maverick releases tonight/Friday
Stranger Things, Obi-Wan Kenobi premiere tonight (maybe)/Friday

Unfortunately I'll be up north in the trees, no spoilers. I will be seeing Top Gun: Maverick in a 1980s-style up north town with no IMAX though. 🔥

Top Gun: Maverick is incredlble

If you have a true IMAX near you, seek it out. I have a fake IMAX and it was still incredible. I'll definitely see it again in Dolby.

Easily the best flying/pilot action sequences I've ever seen. Plot was solid and if you liked the first one, you'll love this one haha, they match a lot of the same beats and give you the same moments but with a twist. It was pretty remarkable how they paid tribute to the original and it felt almost elevated or more high quality. I guess it reminded me a lot of Creed, not just in dealing with the son of your dead best friend, but also in how they made Rocky III feel like the Godfather in the way they looked back and built off of it. Top Gun was nowhere near this good, this movie was incredible. Tom Cruise was great as usual, Jennifer Connelley was great, Miles Teller was good, all of the cameos and references, just a great nod to the OG but also flatout an incredible movie.

Top Gun: Maverick is incredlble

If you have a true IMAX near you, seek it out. I have a fake IMAX and it was still incredible. I'll definitely see it again in Dolby.

Easily the best flying/pilot action sequences I've ever seen. Plot was solid and if you liked the first one, you'll love this one haha, they match a lot of the same beats and give you the same moments but with a twist. It was pretty remarkable how they paid tribute to the original and it felt almost elevated or more high quality. I guess it reminded me a lot of Creed, not just in dealing with the son of your dead best friend, but also in how they made Rocky III feel like the Godfather in the way they looked back and built off of it. Top Gun was nowhere near this good, this movie was incredible. Tom Cruise was great as usual, Jennifer Connelley was great, Miles Teller was good, all of the cameos and references, just a great nod to the OG but also flatout an incredible movie.

tom-brady-lets-go.gif

Never seen the OG Top Gun. Do I need to watch that first before the new one?
Yes

The emotional core of the movie and the driving theme of forgiveness and moving on, doesn't happen without knowledge of the first one. Not to mention there's a ton of callbacks and references.

It's also on Netflix and is a quick watch.

I think one of the reasons why I did like this movie so much is because it reminds me of Creed and it's just the certain blend of nostalgia which I'm a sucker for adding in like the generational legacy of the movies themselves. These are characters that you've seen 30 years ago and now you see them again and it feels like they've lived this life you haven't seen. Then there's also something like people member being huge fans of top gun Rocky in the '80s and now you get to relive that so long later. I don't know. There's just something really cool about it probably too because most of the time these like late reboots typically aren't great. But when done well they're so good. I'm also almost done with my glass of Scotch so don't mind me

Years and years of failed reboots, missed landings, cheesy, stupid, whatever.

Creed nailed it.
New Ghostbusters nailed it.
Top Gun just nailed it.

Cruise just goes extra, man. Dude gonna walk on the sun barefoot one of these days, I swear.

Penny :lol: :pimp:

Teller 👏👏👏👏

The main cameo. 😢 🔥

Guess tall convinced me to watch this Top Gun sequel.

I barely remember the OG but so recall liking it. Ill watch back to back.

How does one’s COPYRIGHT expire like that.?
There was some rule/law passed after a lot of lawsuits and legislation that after like 100 years intellectual property made after a certain time period automatically goes in to the public domain. This goes for characters like Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, Frankenstein's Monster, to songs by Bach and so on.

So basically a lot of stuff made during and after the 1920s is about to be free for anybody to use (who has the money). Except for IP owned by big corporations who also were formed around the 1920s.

Guess tall convinced me to watch this Top Gun sequel.

I barely remember the OG but so recall liking it. Ill watch back to back.

There was some rule/law passed after a lot of lawsuits and legislation that after like 100 years intellectual property made after a certain time period automatically goes in to the public domain. This goes for characters like Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, Frankenstein's Monster, to songs by Bach and so on.

So basically a lot of stuff made during and after the 1920s is about to be free for anybody to use (who has the money). Except for IP owned by big corporations who also were formed around the 1920s.
I guess what I'm confused on is how COPYRIGHTS expire vs Intellectual Property.
Okay this is what is confusing....take for example Justin Timberlake.

The guy just sold his entire catalogue for an undisclosed amount to some company.
Were his music a Character, you mean to tell me that 95 years from today, that company no longer has exclusive rights to his Music and that it is FREE Game for gain?

The Intellectual Property is Timberlake's, so were he to keep it he would have it for eternity, but the minute he sells the rights, those rights expire 95 years from the date acquired? Am I getting that right......

Back
Top Bottom